Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginner sizing a rockered ski

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey all,

I am a beginner. 6' Approx. 280lbs. I am currently skiing on K2 Konic 163cm. This ski has an all mountain rocker that puts 70% of the ski on the snow. I am reading that with rockered skis I need to size UP due to the rocker. I am looking at some K2 Mindbender 85s. Do I need to size up to 170cm? Or, as a beginner am I good on the 163cm?

I ski very cautious and timid. I am still trying to learn and I mainly stay on the Greens. I tend to like to make a lot of turns to keep my speed low.

Thanks for any input.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd say definitely go up to 170cm for your a chap your size, and don't worry-they won't feel that different. If you ski on skis that are too short, you will be less stable as you speed up.
If you can get a lesson or two -ideally private- so that your nervousness will be catered for you will feel all the better. I know private tuition can be pretty expensive in the States though, so maybe a group class would be an option.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Size up for that ski sure. But the question is why you need a different ski. Far better to learn on the skis you have until you have a level of ability and confidence that you can positively identify the skis are holding you back.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Perty and Dave. I guess the question is are the 163cm going to hold me back?

I keep reading that skis with all mountain rockers: rocker - camber - rocker must be sized up. In my mind I was thinking that the effective edge on my 163s make them ski too short for me.

Am I reading into the whole "rocker" thing?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Does your existing ski have much rocker? I have some 165 SL skis that have a longer effective edge than some 193 rockered monsters.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, the Konics have an K2 "all mountain rocker" which they say puts only 70% of the ski on the snow.

Dave, you nailed it!!! what's up with these long skis with these crazy rockers making them ski 10cm - 20cm shorter?!

This rocker thing is in my head. Are my 163cm rockered skis hurting my progression because they may be skiing like they are 154cm!?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I completely misread the thread title - have to say i'm a little disappointed that it's not about a beginner on rocket skis..
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you are not having lessons then get some lessons before you get different skis. If only to let a professional judge what you need.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I’ve got a set of Salomon XDR84 all mountains which have 70% flat contact (and 90% when on edges). Mine are 186s and I’m 6’4 and I wouldn’t want them any shorter. I’d say that 163 are probably too short for you. Something around 170-173 would seem about right. That said, shorter skis are easier to turn.

But at the size you’ve got you won’t get the stability you need at speed, which might be why you like to put a lot of turns in!

Also, if you’re a beginner, I’d question why you’d want all mountains? Presumably you’ll be staying on the piste for now, so a pair of carving skis might make it a better experience for you.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh and plus one for a private lesson. You’ll learn more in one 2 hour session that you will in three sessions in a group.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would have to question why you want an all mountain ski at all. As a beginner and presumably skiing exclusively on piste you are far bettor off with a piste ski to learn on and progress to other skis as your skills improve. Definitely, definitely , definitely get lessons though - you will improve so much faster and an instructor will be able to stop bad habits before they start saving much grief further down the line.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Handy, I won't let you down, you should have seen me on brand new 173 blizzard brahmas, it was a disaster.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
These replies have been super helpful.

Message received. I am going to got take private lessons.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good call. I skied on all mountin skis for my first 10 years but until I bought some slalom skis I never really learned precision with edges Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy