Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon launches new QST line

Poster: A snowHead
CH2O wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
CH2O wrote:
Plus 112mm? Do people still do that? How very 2013.

Haha you need to tell Jeremie Heitz and Leo Slemett wink

I see the marketing wheels keep on turning! Same goes for CT. Top shets are easily popped into any mould to sell the eager what they wanna buy. None of the forementioned ski anything stock destined at the GP, although they maybe painted whatever you like. Few skiers these days ski anything above the external axis of the rivets of their boots. And guess what the average is..................113mm! Think Salomon have nailed it at 1mm under, save those knees, stop ripping out those bindings, and a couple less turns and you'll float just fine.

I skied with Jeremie Heitz’s ski maker at Scott when he went to Faction. He skis the Scott Scrapper 115 in a 189. 116mm under foot. Extra layer in the pairs he uses on the high speed days. Are you saying he secretly uses a 112mm version Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@BobinCH, Jeremie's now on Scotts new Pure (109mm underfoot) which comes out in the Autumn for the 21/22 season. And they're also doing a junior version for your lad wink. On paper I'd prefer the Pure over the Blank.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spyderjon wrote:
@BobinCH, Jeremie's now on Scotts new Pure (109mm underfoot) which comes out in the Autumn for the 21/22 season. And they're also doing a junior version for your lad wink. On paper I'd prefer the Pure over the Blank.

Fair enough, I stand corrected. Got any more details?

Pretty sure Slemett is still on his 114mm Rustler 11’s as he was in the lift the other day. And Markus Eder was going on about the Volkl Revolt 121. And what’s Candide on if it’s not the CT 5.0’s?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
People puking about a couple of MM, there's a fair amount of margin in the finished product you might end up with a few MM either side and loose that in your first service if putting your skis through machines, push button stylee in resort shops. Pretty sure the ideal with, as perviously stated is boot axis, it's at least where we're at with all our conversations with our partners, that and binding spread >33% of ski width. Just keep an open mind, don't believe too much hype and occasionally what you even thing your eyes are seeing. Many athletes are on skis made to look what you want to buy, even back in the day when Coreupt we're pushing you to buy the real athlete's ski, none of you we're, huge hoax and a dead business now. Feck the marketing, stick to basic maths, geometry and simple science. I can figure it out, so you guys should be able to.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Interesting comments about a 17m turn radius. I recently bought a narrower Nordica Enforcer Free 104 in 179cm length to fit the gap between my fat ski and piste skis. This ski has a lot of rocker and a 17.5m radius. As well as being great fun off piste it can really carve on piste (it's quite a stiff heavy ski), not quite like a SL ski but very positive for fast short turns. @CH2O - they finally replaced the old Enforcers you sold me, they only lasted for 11 years of extensive use, can I have my money back?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CH2O wrote:
, that and binding spread >33% of ski width.

What does this mean?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
CH2O wrote:
, that and binding spread >33% of ski width.

What does this mean?

The boot axis and binding are spread over more than 33% of the ski width.... Puzzled

Like you, I need it translating into Anglais.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dave of the Marmottes, I'm guessing but maybe distance between the narrowest pair of screws? can't see it being an issue for alpine bindings but some tech heel pieces are pretty narrow
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can understand the width of the boot imposing a maximum sensible ski width, even if I'm not quite following all of the above. I understand the turn radius less. I'm not as good a skier as most of those skiing routinely off piste throughout the season. And, in comparison to anyone skiing professionally, it's less a question of "not in the same league" and more "not doing the same sport". But even I find a longer radius ski easier and more predictable in ungroomed terrain. Is this just so wide skis are better on piste or is there some other reason for it?

In short, imv, Shane got it right: sidecut sucks in powder. Position ski manufacturers seem to be getting to is "sidecut is fine in powder, provided that you have dialled in the amount of rocker and tip/tail taper you have".
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
So all those people who have had a whale of a time off piste on Rossi Soul 7s are a figment of my imagination?

Yes I know they aren't charging Alaskan faces and I do take the point that side cut is not an advantage in deep snow but IME 17-18m is perfectly fine (if not optimal).

I think what is more of a problem than the radius per se is the tail shape. A 17m radius ski with a flat or rockered and straight or tapered tail is very easy in deep snow (easy to pivot and drift). Much less so if you have a full conventional sidecut and camber (hooky).

Despite that I have had loads of fun in deep snow on
Stockli Stormriders and Line Prophets both with full sidecut, traditional camber and 18m radius. Just takes a little more precision at the end of the turn
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, I'm guessing but maybe distance between the narrowest pair of screws? can't see it being an issue for alpine bindings but some tech heel pieces are pretty narrow

That might make sense - can't see any other thing where the binding footprint would ever be less than 33% of ski width. I've got some sympathy with the widest part of the boot idea,

As for the radius thing - I don't think it's as big a deal as people think. Admittedly bias as having skied a Shaman as an all mountain ski for a few years but that was a powder wheelie machine on full camber and ridonkulous nose.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

As for the radius thing - I don't think it's as big a deal as people think.

I suspect it says something unflattering about how old I am.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The manufacturers certainly seem to be succeeding in making high performance skis more and more accessible.

Found some details on those Scott’s (only on a German site) which look really interesting

Made by and for Jeremie Heitz, the all-new SCOTT Pure is a secret weapon for freeriders.

The Pure features a progressive Titanal layer that provides an extreme harmonic flex; and extra power transmission out of the turn, while the ski provides more stability and keeps the line secure in big mountain skiing.

The new Scott Pure 2022 impresses with its light weight and performance characteristics achieved by the Dual Power wood core - a combination of paulownia wood and two beech wood struts that run the entire length of the ski. This combination of paulownia and beech wood provides an added advantage in torsional stiffness.

So you can go full speed on speed runs without the skis wobbling.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looking at the turn radius in isolation is pretty pointless as it's how that radius combines with the other features, namely the amount/relative length of taper, camber, rocker and stiffness etc. Combining a tighter radius with low camber and tip'n'tail rocker can often cause a hooky/unstable ski. The 3D radii found on many skis is deigned to combat that as there's less radius in the tips'n'tails than underfoot.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arno wrote:

All hybrid ski cores (not really the case here) the binding screw spread, the distance inbetween the narrowest two screws should be equal or above 33% of the overall width of the skis at their mounting point. This reduces "ripout" force of fragile lighter ski cores, and will soon be stnadard for all cores, or at least we're seeing this taken up more and more, hense ski widths coming down and binding spreads increasing.

The external Pivot point ( the Rivets fixing the collar to the clog) is being used as a meadurment for resistant forces, coupled with binding spread, again a reason ski widths decreasing and binding spreads increasing.

It's basically to help make better choices on behalf of all the Yankies skiing their 130mm bamboo core skis with Dynafit 150 Bindings with Scarpa F1 lights.........

Blush

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 2-02-21 16:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

Made by and for Jeremie Heitz, the all-new SCOTT Pure is a secret weapon for freeriders.

rolling eyes Laughing
snow conditions
Some Q&A from salomon freeski instagram profile:

Difference between old and new qst106:
106 new top sheet for 2021/22

What type of core:
new 98 and blank use a full poplar wood core

QST blank comparable ski:
tail rocker similar to the 118, but tip shape redesigned

Blank price:
Blank: $900 MSRP
New 98: $750 MSRP
snow report
More QST details here: https://instagram.com/stories/salomonfreeski/2501017647488846730?igshid=1m5bo05xk0zca
latest report
Salomon have been making good skis the past few years, and i liked the QST line a lot more than I expected too. I'm sure the new line are equally good, solid, functional skis... But they're really going hard on the hype train for something that doesn't really seem to bring anything new, innovative or particularly exciting to the table.

Not that anyone else seems to be doing much either. 2005 to 2015 or so saw a lot of innovation and new exciting designs and ideas, even if not all of them really panned out. We seem to be hitting a bit of a design plateaux in skis again now though, with most of the 'innovation' in branding rather than design - and Black Crows seem to be winning that game with their classic, almost retro 'golden age of skiing/skimo' vibes. Or maybe that's just Bruno. A lot more cool stuff going on in the binding world than skis though, I think.

I definitely also see a trend to narrowing waist widths to <120mm even for powder skis these days. But I think the bigger driver to that is just how much more quickly things get skied out now compared to 10 years ago, rather than inherent flaws/inefficiencies in superfat skis - 120mm+ skis (especially revers/reverse) DO still offer sensations you just can't match on narrower sticks, and will always have a place especially for eg high avalanche days when you need to stick to deep but low angle in the trees, but if you ski somewhere where everything is tracked out by noon (or needs a lot of traversing and billygoating to get to the untracked) even on pow days the trade-off makes less and less sense unless you can swap the superfats out at lunch.

Re. what the real pros use, definitely the real big mountain skiers are mostly around the 110-115m these days. But the more 'BC freestyle' guys are still skiing fatter skis - that's more a style thing, straight up charger or jibby surfer. And it wouldn't surprise me if Cham has more of the former compared to around here in AT.
ski holidays
And everyone initially thought this one was odd too.

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2018/08/07/a-love-letter-to-the-salomon-1080/

Very Happy
snow report
Salomon have been trying to recapture the lightning in a bottle of the X Scream, the 1080 and the Pocket Rocket for over 20 years. Not succeeded yet.
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, those felt like truly innovative skis at the time. Changes in skis have felt more incremental over the last few years. That said, the QST lineup seems solid enough to me but not sure why I'd pick them over the offerings of the other bid brands
latest report
Another take on the new QST

http://youtube.com/v/5q94tIwF6X8
latest report
Does anyone know what 'QST' stands for?
snow report
@Tom Doc, I am pretty certain it stands for Quest, as they use to be Q-XX skis and it was the quest line - when they redesigned the skis they rebranded to QST to mark the change
latest report
@extremerob, Ah ok, thanks.
snow report
Some of the boots have been “Quest” branded.
snow report
DJL wrote:
Some of the boots have been “Quest” branded.

Yeah, I remember them, I was thinking more of an abbreviation than a de-vowelling (is that a word? I'm pretty sure it or one similar was used in a Blister podcast about 4FRNT and WNDR skis).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Should have had fatter skis Shocked
https://www.instagram.com/p/CLftU5dJQl-/?igshid=17r7ecmn7ce6y
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy