Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving Route to Lech

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Driving down to Lech, Austria from Calais when I put the route into Google maps it sends me through France, Reims, Nancy, Colmar into Switzerland Basel, Zurich, Winterthur, St Gallion and into Austria, 10 hours 5 mins
When I change settings to avoid tolls the route changes to Calais, Lille, Mons, Namur then E411 Arlon into Luxembourg A6 - A3 Bettenbourg - A13 onto Stuttgart, Ulm and onwards 11hours 26 mins

Would anyone have experience of these routes.

Thanks Again
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Done no tolls thro Luxembourg a few times to Italy and Austria. Will be doing the same in January. Still motorway most of the way, bit longer obviously but has always been an easy drive. I'll be filling up in Luxembourg and staying over in Thionville.
Rather have my cash in pocket for an extra beer or two.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I used to hitch hike down to the Voralberg so if the pass from Warth is open your could go:
Harwich to Hook Van Holland
to Arnhem -> Koln
Towards Frankfurt -> Stuttgart -> Ulm -> Bregenz
I came back with two lifts from Mellau to Koln Ariport then another to Den Hague,
Then I spent all night (almost) walking the last few miles.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The road Lech-Warth is closed in winter.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Last time we did it I think we went Strasbourg, Bodensee, Bregenz. We overnighted on the way down just outside Strasbourg but it depends what time you get the ferry/shuttle across if you need to stop or not. I think we stopped because we crossed in the evening after work but I can’t really remember as it was about 20 years ago.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
how much are tolls for an extra 90mins (you might make up that time on the autobahn?)
+ cheap fuel in Luxembourg
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It cost us an extra £54 in tolls coming back Karlsruhe Strasbourg area, Metz, Reims with minimal time saving. Never again
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After trying various options over the years for the Calais/Munich run, settled on Lille, Namur, Luxembourg, (use B10 road between Pirmasens & Landau), Karlsruhe, Ulm . It seems to have the least traffic (though inevitably there are jams from time to time), no tolls and cheapish petrol in Luxembourg (which is conveniently just about half way). Assuming reasonable road conditions travelling time is about 10 hours (I dont stop much). Aiming for the western end of Austria might change things a bit. However if you go France / Switzerland there are (expensive from memory) tolls on the Autoroute and the €40 vignette in Switzerland, the motorways in Switzerland have become rather painful to use with constantly varying speed limits and lots of cameras. You could go on the north (German) side of the Bodensee but the roads are not ideal (no Autobahn or much dual carriageway).

I would say head to Ulm and then turn south towards Bregenz, maybe turning south at Stuttgart then head for Schaffhausen/Konstanz would be better but you would have to buy a vignette.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have also travelled extensively over the years to the East & West of Austria, and would reiterate the preferred route options that munich_irish above stated.
Travelling in a few weeks to St Christophe Am Arlberg and will be travelling this router - Calais Lille, Namur, Luxembourg, (use B10 road between Pirmasens & Landau), Karlsruhe, Ulm and enter Austria via the Bregenz autobahn. Stopping overnight in Karlsruhe and hope to visit the Christmas market in the evening.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy