Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jan-Feb-Mar (Family) - Where would you go for the Season 21-22?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Original post can be seen here, but I was intrigued by the discussion of where to go for 1 whole month.. next year, I'd like to take the family and live in a mountain village... to live/work/school and of course, SKI... but we have the ability to go for 3 months.

If you have the time and inclination, comments and advice would be greatly appreciated.

We're a work from home family - the boys (7 and 8 y/o) attend a french lycee in Spain... during this year's Covid lockdown (2020-21) this season has been a total washout - so I'm keeping myself busy daydreaming about spending next year's winter quarter (Jan-Feb-March) based in a mountain village.

So far, I'm looking for something like (keep in mind, I'm just daydreaming/planning at this stage)...
-> Turin - they have a Lycee, and the boys school won't be an issue
-> Bourg st Maurice - Public French school (free) but some red tape to get them enrolled - but I think I can swing it
-> Innsbruck or somewhere near there - we'd have to figure out home school or an english based intl school $$$

If I could kindly ask for comments or feedback from the group?

For me - my work week would allow for me to ski/scout out different ski resorts and runs that would fit the family ability on Wednesday, so that we could all ski together on the weekends. I might be able to steal another 1 day just for myself, but at 56 y/o, I honestly can't see myself skiing more than 3 days a week, I'm not ashamed to admit.

So I hope I'm describing my situation well enough (forgive me, if I am not)... most of our time would be spent as just a normal family life where school and work would be the priority... but we'd have our car.. so even trekking out for an overnight somewhere would be in our sights... from what I've read on this thread - Bourg looks like the early favorite as it offers a lot of what we're looking for.... I've never been to the Alps region - so forgive my ignorance - but I'd love to stay in a flat that is close enough to put me on the snow within 30 minutes.

Can we find a 3 bedroom place in any of these locations for under $2k/month on a seasonal basis? Jan-Feb-March? Can you recommend a website like seloger to find available flats at the normal rate or should I just contact estate agents?

If you had 3 months to set up home - where would you go?

Thanks in advance.
Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
AJ
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@US_EU How about Lausanne? A very international city with a big university, on Lake Geneva (Lac Léman) in the French-speaking part of Switzerland, so more relaxed than the Germanic locations. And close to a diversity of ski areas in France and Switzerland in the cantons of Vaud and adjacent Valais. There are also various smaller towns around the lake which are commuter suburbs to Geneva, Lausanne and Montreux which, like anywhere, would be cheaper than a big city.

If you want to stay in a resort up a mountain, then no one will be surprised if I recommend Verbier. Like many places in the Alps this has various 'satellites' which are directly connected but cheaper to stay in, like Nendaz and La Tzoumaz, where we have our apartment. Take a look at some of the immobilier websites for both the main and satellite lcations (wherever you decide to go) and expect a discount for a period rental, although you may have to contact the immobiliers to get a specific quote: most websites don't advertise may period rentals even if owners are happy to take one on. You wouldn't need a car to explore the 400kms of pistes in the 4 Vallées and Verbier has great public transport links to the surrounding area. But you might want a car if you were interested in trying out some other places as well, and/or do some non-skiing excursions.

On the eastern French side of Lac Léman are smaller lakeside towns like Évian les Bains, which are even closer to the French ski areas of the Portes du Soleil. I've always liked Évian and it's linked by commuter ferry across the lake to Lausanne and Geneva.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wow - thanks for the quick reply... I hadn't even considered Lausanne... but I will look into it..
We have an uncle in Geneva... and we once did a weekend in Gstaad while visiting him.

Great suggestion - thank you!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hello all - - so we have officially decided (a year late) to spend Jan-April 2023 in Menthon St. Bernard, on Lake Annecy.
If anyone is in the area, and would like to share some tips, I'd be happy to tell you what I've learned over a beer.
Happy Ski Season to you all.
AJ
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy