Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are there weeks to avoid in Kitzbuhel/Austria?

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for advice here.

I know to avoid UK half-term and Paris school holiday weeks in France but are there similar weeks to avoid in Austria - Austrian half-term, German half-term? If so any idea when they are for 2008?

Looking to head to Kitzbuhel - obviously know to avoid the weeks either side of the Hahnenkahm weekend.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
levart, don't forget that the UK half-term falls across two weeks this year.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
obviously know to avoid the weeks either side of the Hahnenkahm weekend.

why? is that just because the town will be full of drunken ski fan type people or am i missing somehting?
latest report
 brian
brian
levart, fasching (our pancake day, start of lent). It's the first week in February this year.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
levart, Kitzbuhel only has 5500 beds (including the villages up to Pass Thurn) but, comparitively, massive uplift. The town can get heaving at times, especially Hahnemkann week-end (28/1) and Fasching week but that all adds to the great atmosphere. You might get the odd bottleneck at the main Hahnemkann gondola but there are loads of places to escape crowds. It isn't like it is in France where people seem to be more bent on skiing all day. The crowd in Austria take a more leisurely approach and the runs are all yours at lunchtime.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

obviously know to avoid the weeks either side of the Hahnenkahm weekend
no prob. Most are there to party and watch the races, not to ski. I'll be there for part of the week leading up to the races. Can't wait.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone for your advice, whilst I'm not averse to more lively weeks reckon its still an idea to go for a quiet week if I can.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Main problem before Hannekam week is that they close the race piste to ice it up. We were there a week before the race a couple of years ago and found it very difficult to cross the mountain. Basically you had to ski to the bottom on once side of the race piste, and walk/bus to a lift on the far side. As a result we spent the bulk of the weekend in Kirchberg.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi,
If you do fancy Hahnenkahm weekend and all the party my friend has a studio in central Kitz sleeps 4 at a push .

Regards Mark
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
HI There,

I am thinking of a trip to Kitzbuhel this year around the end of Jan/early Feb. My only concern is the low level of the resort. I was in Meribel last year, the snow was not great but at least we could go high to find some good spots.

Can anybody please advise please?

Thanks.

Dave
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
flansland, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

While you can never tell how things will be, I'd not worry too much. Kitz, like many of the Austrian resorts have good snowmaking facilities, and much of the skiing is pasture land. This means that even a thin coating of snow will do the trick, whereas if the base is rock then it needs an awful lot more.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi Elizabeth,

Thanks for your help, I have had a look at the snow history and it seems a bit up and down, thats all!.

I have never been to Austria, could you recommend any other good resorts with decent apres ski and a good amount of intermiedate runs. I have looked at st Anton, but because some of our party are beginners it doesent seem very suitable.

Thanks
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
flansland, have a look at Zell am See, Saalbach and Ski Amade. Saalbach is a really good resort for cruising and has a lot of mileage. Zell am See is a bigger town and has easy access to the Kitzsteinhorn glacier. Both of these have good apres ski. Ski Amade is a large ski area maede up of a number of villages. I stayed in Wagrain, but the apres wasn't kicking! The skiing is good for beginner/intermedite though. IIRC there is a glacier on that lift pass too.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flansland, Solden is brilliant, good intermediate area, good for beginners and apres is brilliant. It is also high (in Austrian terms) so snow pretty much guaranteed.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks Guys..

Sallbach actually seems quite good, good height, good apres ski and great links.

Solden has been refered to a few times as "a Mallorca clone" !!! Not what i had expected from Austria?!..not so sure about that. I like good apres ski, but at 28 i felt ancient in Merible last year!!..want to avoid that again if possible!

Thanks for all your help
snow conditions
Don't avoid the Hahnenkahm weekend. It's the best time to go!!

As already informed, the race track is closed before the race but it is impossible to ski afterwards anyway. It's like an ice rink on the vertical and designed to be skied by the best, on the best equipment.

Do avoid the Londoner pub unless you like the smell of stale sick.

Very Happy
ski holidays
Topsmoke wrote:
Hi,
If you do fancy Hahnenkahm weekend and all the party my friend has a studio in central Kitz sleeps 4 at a push .

I'd be very interested in your friends apt for for race weekend (3 nights 17-20 Jan), please contact me by PM if he's willing to rent it ... thanks.
snow report
I am looking at kitzbhul on 26th Feb 2022. Would that be a really busy time to go? I can see that some of Germany and Czechoslovakia are on half term but I don’t have any idea how busy that would make it.
We really don’t want Super busy lifts and over crowded slopes.
Any advice would really be appreciated.
Any other suggestions welcomed. It needs to be the 26th as I am in Obergurgl on the 19th so need to allow at least ten days between trips just in case we still need to quarantine.
France is still on half term that week so busy and very expensive so that is out.
Many thanks.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Eggfried100, the busiest weeks are New Year, semester holidays for the Austrian, German and Dutch regions and Fasching. The week you are looking at is Fasching and south/central Dutch holidays in 2022, so it will be very busy.
snow report
@queenie pretty please,
Thank you Queenie. I will avoid it then.
Any other recommendations for that week?
snow conditions
@Eggfried100, welcome to the 21st century - the Czech republic was created in 1993, as was Slovakia.

Back on topic, all of Germany and Austria is on holiday at some point in the first three weeks of February 2022, but from 26th onwards you should be OK except that Bavaria seems to be later in 2022 and will be on holiday in that week. In terms of how busy any Austrian resort will be, the answer is that the higher prices tend to run from mid January to the end of February, and then again over the two weeks of Easter, and the reason for that is that most resorts would normally be pretty full during those weeks.

However, full is a relative concept - many of the Austrian resorts have a lot of day trippers or weekend skiers from Bavaria and the other closer parts of Germany as well as the Czech republic and of course from Austria itself. All of the accommodation could be booked solid but the slopes could be relatively empty on weekdays because the day trippers have stayed away or come in lower numbers, but in good snow conditions and after a big dump the carparks can be rammed. For Kitzbuhel, staying in Kirchberg is worth considering if cost is a concern, as it is much less expensive, still has good access to the ski area plus gives you the option of the Ki-West area and access into the SkiWelt with a wider area pass, and still allows for visiting Kitzbuhel whenever you want to.

Kitzbuhel can also be a little variable in terms of snow quality at times, though many of the slopes are high up and very good, because the lower slopes and those into the valley end up at 600m and get very slushy. In late February there should be little to worry about in terms of depth, but if it is sunny then you'll find it turning to sugar below about 1200m and skiing to the valley is to be avoided, especially on the lower part of the Hahnenkamm Streif course where there are likely to be moguls up to waist high.
ski holidays
Only thing Ill add is we live in Kirchberg, and have friends looking to come out next Xmas NY. Finding accommodation in Kirchberg atm is like rocking horse poo, and seems to be more expensive than Kitz for some reason. But it seems like from our experience for friends, that this years bookings in the main were rolled forward to next year. Get in quick
snow conditions
@ousekjarr,
Thank you for your feedback. We have now decided to give La Plagne a visit. We are in Obergurgl on March 19th 2022 so will not miss out on the famous. Austrian hospitality.
Will definitely give Kitzbhuel a visit at some time. What are normally the best times of year for decent conditions yet not too busy.
Many thanks.
snow report
@Eggfried100, first two full weeks in January (i.e. avoid 1st January) are typically quiet across much of Austria , and will also be colder and with less sun so may be better conditions as well. The race is usually in week 3 or 4, but in 2022 it will run 17-23 January so I'd be looking at 8-15 January if I was going there next year. Others may have different criteria, and of course there may be more snow depth in February due to accumulation throughout January, so it is all a bit subjective
snow conditions
The big Xmas NY weeks next winter are the 26th Dec to the 2nd and 2nd Jan to the 9th Jan. The Dutch schools are breaking up on the 22nd/23rd by all acounts and arent going back to the 10th Jan. So as ousekjarr said above, the first quiet week and usually the best early week has been put back a little to the week commencing the 9th Jan. Ive had nothing but requests for the week 02/01 until the 09/01
ski holidays
We've been the weeks before and after the Hahnenkamm races, with a TO as that's about the only way to get accomodation in Kitz for race week. The week before is great for the party atmosphere race goings on. Just the race pistes closed. The week after by the Monday you wouldn't know anything had happened. TO flight times and transfers mean you probably won't get to see much if any of the downhill though.
latest report
Avoid the period from Late November until Late April, and you'll be fine.
latest report
flansland wrote:
Thanks Guys..

Sallbach actually seems quite good, good height, good apres ski and great links.

Solden has been refered to a few times as "a Mallorca clone" !!! Not what i had expected from Austria?!..not so sure about that. I like good apres ski, but at 28 i felt ancient in Merible last year!!..want to avoid that again if possible!

Thanks for all your help

Zell am See and Saalbach/Hinterglim/etc "SkiCircus" are now properly linked and all on one skipass (there is a very small bus-ride one way) so staying in one doesn't preclude skiing in the other. As a rule of thumb, Saalbach has a bit wilder Apres, Zell is lively without being raucous and the other skicircus villages are quieter.

Don't worry too much about altitude, further distance East into the Europe landmass is worth a few hundred metres of altitude.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@t4tomo, the post from @flansland was made in 2007, one of five posts in total that they made on Snowheads of which the last was at the end of 2008, so I very much doubt whether they'll be coming along 12+ years later to argue the point...
latest report
ousekjarr wrote:
@t4tomo, the post from @flansland was made in 2007, one of five posts in total that they made on Snowheads of which the last was at the end of 2008, so I very much doubt whether they'll be coming along 12+ years later to argue the point...

Very Happy rolling eyes Ahh didn't spot that, damn the thread resurrection-ists, may they burn in hell - or is that a tad extreme?
latest report
brian wrote:
levart, fasching (our pancake day, start of lent). It's the first week in February this year.

exactly....do be honest i dont think you coud find a relativ "empty" week in Kitz
maybe end of Jan
Februar is high season
i dont know when the schools in AUT have holidays, but you have to consider the Faschings Week + Krokus Holidays for the Holland
except that there are always one-day visitors from München etc
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy