Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Freeriding zone La Rossiere

Poster: A snowHead
Not my choice but my hand is being pushed up my back to go to La Rossiere for Feb half term 22.
I'm sceptical as piste skiing and particularly cruisy blue and reds dont get the butterflies going in my stomach. However its being sold to me "the new chairs have opened up freeride terrain that would be of interest"
anyone got any intel on it?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't help with the freeride part, but La Rosiere (& esp. La Thuile) should be one of the quieter French options for half term.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@denfinella, the quieter bit i like the sound of and also the lack of powder panic.
I've got young girls I know la rossiere will be good for them
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We were due to be there last week, but haven't been before. I think the area is called Mont Vallon, and there was a new chair installed that opened last season or the season before.

Take a look at youtube, as there's a few videos featuring it on there.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
= Mont Valaison
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I went to La Thuile side as part of a week doing various Aosta valley resorts, staying in Aosta last half term.

It was a touch windy on la Thuile day, so didn't get far into the French side as it was after lunch when they opened he lifts up to go over the top, so we skirted into France a bit but stayed relatively close to being able dashback to italy, if the wind picked up.

can back up that it was relatively quiet for Half term.

you could do similar to me as a compromise, with the promise of a couple of days in La thuile /La Rosiere. Pila, Courmayeur, Monterosa (champoluc), Cervinia all in easy reach. I don't venture off piste, but Monterosa has masses of it, and some cracking and challenging piste stuff too.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
denfinella wrote:
= Mont Valaison

Close but no cigar for me!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@t4tomo, need to base in 1 resort for kids ski school and lunch clubs. As I say its not my idea La Rossiere but I cant always have it the way I want.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
swskier wrote:
denfinella wrote:
= Mont Valaison

Actually I was wrong as well, it's Mont Valaisan! Blush
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mother hucker wrote:
@t4tomo, need to base in 1 resort for kids ski school and lunch clubs. As I say its not my idea La Rossiere but I cant always have it the way I want.

Ahhh! that does make a difference. There was certainly a decent amount of stuff to ski on La Thuile side and a couple of long red valley runs and a world cup black run down to the Gondola base. And between the 2 resorts there is a decent number of kms to explore whilst the youngsters are ski schooling/lunching. There appeared to be opportunities for "off the piste" off-piste down to some of the lifts on the backside of the Italian side of the border.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Mother hucker, get a guide and you wont be dissapointed. The new lifts open up a lot of freeride potential and the back of Mont Valaisan is not for the faint hearted. Very detailed map that gives you some idea of the options both front and backside https://www.larosiere.ski/csx/scripts/downloader2.php?filename=T004/fichier/4a/cd/GB.48ib5uptnkje&mime=application/pdf&originalname=la_rosiere_2020-2021_v5_copie-2.pdf
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My two one-day visits years ago when in Ste Foy had suggested there was nothing much to interest an advanced/expert skier. However my most recent visit suggests that the new lift has opened up some good, steep, off piste descents. Perhaps not a large number, but it made for a very interesting day. Of course they were there before but required walking. A guide might be advisable.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looks a bit tame for me wink

http://youtube.com/v/5CTtHgJl2pQ
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
plenty of good off piste, had some great times with a guide there from La Rosiere, and then some good fun on my own on the La Thuile side 2 years ago.

This was the afternoon after fresh snow just to the side of the piste in la thuile, that would be trashed in bigger resorts! I was skiing knee deep over near the top a few hours earlier in a white out!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yPad1mziDuL249GQ9

Whats great is la rosiere can be hammered with wind or cloudy and la thuile can be in great sunshine! Follow the ski instructors!

this was April 2008 in La Ros, to the sides of the piste again! https://photos.app.goo.gl/FzPMtjdFCjGmnie4A
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Looks a bit tame for me wink

http://youtube.com/v/5CTtHgJl2pQ

thats slightly more exposure than I'm accustomed to, looks fun bellow the no fall couloir though. Im guessing a traverse in is possible to access that face below it
ski holidays
From the new lift you can go right to enter the slope top left of this picture, or, if I remember it right, you can stay high and cross this ridge at the top, or go the other way to La Thuile
ski holidays
@Mother hucker, Fatmap indicates that there is a fair amount to go at, especially on the La Thuile side, and with North East and North West facing routes off the new Valaisan chair
snow conditions
Your best source for anything ski in France is skipass forum.

And yes... and excellent article on the new offpiste routes:
https://www.skipass.com/news/182098-la-rosiere-itineraires-freeride.html

snow report
Onnem wrote:

And yes... and excellent article on the new offpiste routes. The terrain looks promising:

snow conditions
Mother hucker wrote:
Not my choice but my hand is being pushed up my back to go to La Rossiere for Feb half term 22.
I'm sceptical as piste skiing and particularly cruisy blue and reds dont get the butterflies going in my stomach. However its being sold to me "the new chairs have opened up freeride terrain that would be of interest"
anyone got any intel on it?
ski holidays
Onnem wrote:

And yes... and excellent article on the new offpiste routes:

merci c'est super
latest report
denfinella wrote:
swskier wrote:
denfinella wrote:
= Mont Valaison

Actually I was wrong as well, it's Mont Valaisan! Blush

Some maps even have the temerity to call the peak Mount Valezan 2892m and yes, it’s a nice spot, both sides. You can also traverse/boot pack a bit to go over into the next Valley east across exiting towards Le Miroir
latest report
@Grinning, how do you get back to La Ross from Le mirror?
ski holidays
@Mother hucker, Taxi
snow report
Rob Mackley wrote:
@Mother hucker, Taxi
. We dropped one car at Le Miroir and one at La Rosière for (much) later collection. Snow cover all the way back was a minor issue so bottom half walk out.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy