Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Diy boot stiffening

Poster: A snowHead
I am taking my level 2 psia exam in a few weeks and I have been told I need a stiffer boot. I currently wear tecnica Cochise 100 and weigh around 235. Anything I can do to stiffen the upper boot without buying new boots or breaking the bank? My budget is 50 bucks. Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very difficult to do. Buy a used pair of the same model Cochise but in 130 flex on ebay/craiglist and then swap your liner/footbed.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spyderjon wrote:
Very difficult to do. Buy a used pair of the same model Cochise but in 130 flex on ebay/craiglist and then swap your liner/footbed.

Great recommendation. By the way, this is a great excuse to try out some things that you haven't tried before. And then, if you wish, you can buy a new pair of the same shoes.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@nvossoug, why would you need a stiffer boot? I mean, I am all in favour of stiffer boots ... but ... they aren't going to improve your skiing ...

An old chum of mine, ex-Olympian downhiller, loved really soft boots. He could ski, quite passably.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
you can add boosters straps. This increases stiffness i believe. Not sure how much though.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This is amazing feedback. Where would I buy.straps.per chance?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PSIA. So you’re US based? Theres a discussion here and a few suppliers that might be useful for you

https://www.skitalk.com/threads/booster-straps.12838/page-2
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'll comment on this. Booters are AWESOME. The first thing I do with new boots is change the strap to my booster one..Well worth the investment!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
....or a roll of gorilla tape.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
@nvossoug, why would you need a stiffer boot? I mean, I am all in favour of stiffer boots ... but ... they aren't going to improve your skiing ........

A 235lb guy will fold a Cochise 100 in half, especially as it isn't a true 100 flex due the the walk mode etc. And if he's tall then that'll make things worse.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyderjon wrote:

Or rent/beg/borrow via a local FB group or similar?

Never tried the Cochise but the Zero-G fits me out if the box and I ski Nordica Speedmachine 130’s (100mm last). I think they’re quite popular in case you can’t find a pair of Cochise in the right size.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@spyderjon, I think you're exagerating for effect, but anyway, whatever, I still question the advice. If a stiffer boot was going to make the difference to passing the exam, it's not the problem, is it?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@under a new name, Ski instructor exams are not just about being able to make the skis do particular things, you also have to be able to demonstrate stuff in a way that a student watching you can see what is going on.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rjs, and a stiffer boot helps with that how exactly?

But, please, do bear in mind that I reckon the majority of the great unwashed skiing public are in boots that are too big ... and ... too soft ... and ... not very comfortable.

(But mostly they can't ski very well anyway...)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
@rjs, and a stiffer boot helps with that how exactly?

Hold the guy up properly so the ski will actually do what his legs are telling it to! For example if he’s demoing GS style carving turns an uber soft boot is going to result in him collapsing the turns. Same problem in variable snow. Doubt it makes much difference if he’s snowploughing Very Happy
latest report
@BobinCH, I am going to disagree with you (inside certain limits). Having tried it, I can ski more or less as usual in the incredibly crap* boots they rent at Braehead. I am guessing they'd scale out at around a "70". Did I like it? nooooooo. Could I ski? Yessssss. Would I go for a level 2 exam in them (if that was the only - or easiest - option?) ... Yesssss ...

* crap to the point that I had to go down 3 nominal sizes before I touched the sides. luckily only for an hour. hideous. can't imagine how anyone learns to ski in them.
ski holidays
@under a new name, perhaps you are just an amazing skier and can ski all conditions perfectly on any boot/ski combo?

I can’t ski variable off piste conditions as confidently on touring boots as Alpine so boots make a difference for me.

I would want my alpine boots if being tested.
snow report
@under a new name, The OP has been told to get stiffer boots, I take that as meaning that their SSD feels that there are problems with how their demos look.
snow report
@rjs, and ... workpeople, tools, ...

@BobinCH, not in the slightest am I
Quote:
an amazing skier
although my first boots had laces ... and I still don't believe going from a 100 to a 120 boot will make that much difference. On which I will refer you to SZK's rigidity thread ...
snow report
@under a new name, you're short and weight f'all. What'll work for you won't work for big guys.
latest report
I am 6'2" and 200lbs and I have fitted booster straps to my Atomic Redster 130's as I had problems with them 'folding' if I hit a bit of a bump when carving short turns. It was pretty painful. The boosters allow the boot to flex more without getting the hard stop at the end of the power straps range. Well worth the money - which isn't a lot.
ski holidays
@spyderjon, good point!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy