Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jackets and Helmets

Poster: A snowHead
Just been to TK Maxx and found a nice Westbeach jacket that I liked. However, as soon as I zipped it all the way up the non-detachable hood is annoyingly forced up in to the back of my head. Not withstanding the fact that the hood doing that is uncomfortable, they clearly haven't designed this jacket with folks who wear helmets in mind. This isn't the first jacket I've had this problem with.

Why do so many jackets not work well with helmets? Or am I missing something fundamental?

*rant over* snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The one thing I don't like about my jacket is that it DOES have a 'helmet compatible' hood - I never wear my hood over my helmet, and it just means it's too big for my head during normal use.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just cut it off wink I always wear a helmet so no hood required but I do like a jacket with a removable hood (which I keep in my backpack if needed).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
clarky999 wrote:
it's too big for my head .

c0Ka|Ne wrote:
just cut it off
wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My helmet hood unzips from my jacket - Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My helmet hood folds up and tucks neatly beneath the collar Cool
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum wrote:
My helmet hood folds up and tucks neatly beneath the collar Cool

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
c0Ka|Ne wrote:
I always wear a helmet so no hood required.

I always wear a helmet, but I've been glad of my hood a couple of times.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pistemeister wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
it's too big for my head .

c0Ka|Ne wrote:
just cut it off
wink

Hehe!!

Having a hood on standby is definitely a good idea, but I just don't ever expect to ever really use it. I wear an additional headband under my helmet sometimes and a buff for my neck/face. If i threw on a hood on top of all that I might look a tad weird...er Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What do you expect if you shop in TK Maxx?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think it's something that some manufacturers are building in to their jackets. I suggest that the main problem with hoods that accommodate helmets is the amount of material that is required, making the hood bulky and uncomfortable when it's not being used - and already you've seen people ^ who don't like / use the hood anyway, so why make it bigger?

If a hood that fits is essential for you then try some mountaineering shells, they can normally fit a be-helmeted head!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
marky, it was a Westbeach jacket... the shop is pretty irrelevant.

parlor, I don't want to use a hood with my helmet. I don't mind if a jacket comes with a hood, but I just want it to fold down behind my head properly when the jacket is zipped up to the top (as is required when skiing in January!)

I don't think I made my initial rant as clear as I should snowHead I just want a hood to fold down properly even if the jacket is fully zipped up. I'm just really surprised this appears to be such a difficult thing for some manufacturers to achieve.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ahhh much clearer. That makes my advice about cutting off your hood pretty useless... what about sellotape? Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marky wrote:
What do you expect if you shop in TK Maxx?

Decent stuff at low prices - but very limited choice.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I recently bought a nike jacket and it has a hood that fits over a helmet. Dont really know when that would be useful though.....
ski holidays
Twitchy87 wrote:
I recently bought a nike jacket and it has a hood that fits over a helmet. Dont really know when that would be useful though.....

If you use a climbing style helmet, which typically wouldn't have the same sort of insulation as a ski helmet.
snow report
Twitchy87, I have on a couple of occasions snuggled deep into my jacket hood whilst wearing a neck/headwarmer, goggles and a helmet whilst skiing on evil days sat on long chair lifts. Don't knock 'em 'till you've tried 'em Cool
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
The one thing I don't like about my jacket is that it DOES have a 'helmet compatible' hood - I never wear my hood over my helmet, and it just means it's too big for my head during normal use.

I was looking at an Arc'teryx jacket (online only at this time rather than in a shop) and that advertises the same 'helmet compatible' hood. Like yourself I would like to use when out walking the dog for example, and wouldn't really want to wear a helmet around town so that it fits.

I do have quite a big head ( Skullie ) so maybe I will try one and see how it fits
latest report
I wear a helmet and have used my jacket hood a few times. When the wind is whipping up and spraying dusty ice into your face it came in handy. Fortunately i invested in a VANs snowboarding jacket (as im a boarder) which comes with helmet compatible hoods Smile
ski holidays
Quote:

I was looking at an Arc'teryx jacket (online only at this time rather than in a shop) and that advertises the same 'helmet compatible' hood. Like yourself I would like to use when out walking the dog for example, and wouldn't really want to wear a helmet around town so that it fits.

Pretty sure on my TNF there are drawstrings etc to fiddle with, just I can never be bothered until I'm walking to work in the rain and I don't have time 'cos I'm late lol. Nearly got run over the other day 'cos it hangs so low over my eyes.
ski holidays
I'm making myself a Goretex thinsulate ski jacket to get exactly the design and features I want.

I do plan to add a detachable helmet compatible hood as it's very useful on those long slow chair rides on dull days in the shadow of the mountain, or like in Val, going over a ridge!

I think the key to any hood is to have the correct elastic cord channel arrangement. Looking at a couple of my other waterproof jackets I plan to ensure the hood pull is at the back of the hood so that when it's pulled tight the hood front edges get drawn backwards so you can see either side. At the same time the top gets pulled down onto the helmet.... well, that's the plan!
If I don't require it, due to a bluebird day I'll un-popper it from the the jacket and leave in the accommodation Very Happy
ski holidays
Whitters wrote:

I have several Arc’teryx jackets, but I mainly ski in the Alpha SV. All have adjustable hoods, that work pretty well, even without a helmet. That said, you won’t get as good a fit on a bare head with a hood-compatible hood as you would with one specifically designed for wear without a helmet. It has to be bigger to accommodate a helmet and cinch cords only tighten fit in a few places - you still have a scrunched up hood over your head.
snow report
What REALLY annoys me is trying to find a decent (waterproof) walking jacket WITHOUT a helmet compatible hood.
All the big name manufacturers must think it adds credibility to a jacket that is, in reality, never going to be worn with a helmet by 95% of buyers.

Sorry, off-topic rant over.

ps. I always buy ski jackets with removable hoods and a snug collar. My current jacket has a modest 40g thinsulate.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 24-01-21 12:47; edited 3 times in total
snow report
@TJToms, Super thread bump Laughing
snow conditions
Have no probs with all my North Face jackets, but I guess its different price level to tkmaxx. Also, when Ive been living up North, i could find Mammut, NorthFace, Patagonia and other big brands in the tkmaxx, now Im in Cambs, no change to find anything like this, not sure why.

The helmet hood is good thing, on some lifts without the cap, with stong winds, makes you more comfortable with the hood over helmet.
ski holidays
@BoardieK

My jacket will have a 150g/m thinsulate filling once finished and apparently good to -30c
snow conditions
[quote="TJToms"]@BoardieK

My jacket will have a 150g/m thinsulate filling once finished and apparently good to -30c

At least I'll be warm if not completely boiling -hey ho

And I have no idea why this post has appeared twice?

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 24-01-21 12:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@BoardieK, my Rab Primaloft jacket has a hood that certainly would not fit over a helmet. It is a very snug fit over the head, but I cannot recall actually wearing it up while walking. My other walking jackets, for warmer conditions, do not have hoods. TBH normally I hate hoods and prefer to wear a hat, but they are essential on waterproof jackets and need to fit over or under a helmet. I prefer it under the helmet.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@johnE, Was talking about waterproof jackets and have made that clear in my post now.
latest report
@TJToms, That is a lot of insulation, I usually only have a warm base layer underneath, but that is a different topic so have a search for other threads on the subject.

Here's one: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3522378&highlight=jacket+insulation#3522378
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy