Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is the 2021/2022 in doubt ?

Poster: A snowHead
Just hope that the french will only ask for a negative PCR test for entry as the UK have for entry, rather than the Swiss requirment PCR test and 10 days of quarantine as well.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Swiss authorities have tweeted this. It specifically says entry by plane.

“En Tchéquie, dans les Pays-Bas, dans le Royaume-Uni, en Égypte et au Malawi, le variant Omicron a été détecté. Les personnes entrant en Suisse doivent présenter, à l'embarquement dans un avion et à l'entrée en Suisse, un test COVID-19 négatif et se placer 10 jours en quarantaine.“
Hoping that means if you enter from neighbouring countries it does not apply. Eh oh! Eh oh!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The UK Embassy in Berne tweeted:

From 2000 hrs on 27 November, all UK arrivals in Switzerland must show a negative COVID-19 test and undergo a 10-day quarantine.

Infoline for people travelling to Switzerland +41 58 464 44 88 (6am - 11pm).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It seems highly unlikely that the Omicron isn't already circulating in Switzerland.

I travel to France on Tuesday, hopefully not too much hassle. I am a German national so not sure they can technically refuse me entry (?)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tutter wrote:

From 2000 hrs on 27 November, all UK arrivals in Switzerland must show a negative COVID-19 test and undergo a 10-day quarantine.

I'm flying into Geneva early January... Hopefully I can change to another airport Sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
tutter wrote:

But does that apply to people immediately transiting to another country?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sugarmoma666 wrote:
tutter wrote:

But does that apply to people immediately transiting to another country?

<shrugs>
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Does this represent another nail in the coffin for flying into Switzerland? At least this season. It seems to reinstate the same condition that was imposed before, where flight arrivals had to quarantine but overland arrivals (e.g. from France) did not. The other nail being the enormous cost of car rental at GVA. If I was planning a trip this winter, I'd drive and self-cater, not fly, as this season, flying seems just too high a risk.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
LaForet wrote:
Does this represent another nail in the coffin for flying into Switzerland? At least this season. It seems to reinstate the same condition that was imposed before, where flight arrivals had to quarantine but overland arrivals (e.g. from France) did not. The other nail being the enormous cost of car rental at GVA. If I was planning a trip this winter, I'd drive and self-cater, not fly, as this season, flying seems just too high a risk.

So we could drive from the U.K, through France and into Switzerland and not have to quarantine? Surely not!??
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
https://mobile.twitter.com/SwissEmbassyUK/status/1464650292323049472

"When boarding a plane and entering Switzerland, all persons travelling from the UK must present a negative COVID-19 test and quarantine for 10 days."

So that looks to me like it covers UK arrivals by road also. Detail to follow.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
After getting quarantined in Zermatt last winter I was planning on going back to use my remaining lift pass over Christmas and New Year, looks like that won't be happening Sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Swiss 10-day quarantine confirmation: https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/empfehlungen-fuer-reisende/quarantaene-einreisende.html#489451312
Crying or Very sad

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 27-11-21 20:35; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
https://www.gva.ch/en/Site/Passagers/Laissez-vous-guider/COVID-19

"Transit passengers, i.e. those who cross Switzerland to France without stopping, are exempted from the obligation to present a test and an entry form. They will therefore transit through Geneva Airport, either on the international side or on the French side, and then return to their home in France."

If you have a home in France then seems you are able to transit - tourists on the otherhand? Who knows?!?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NewSkiingDad wrote:
https://www.gva.ch/en/Site/Passagers/Laissez-vous-guider/COVID-19

"Transit passengers, i.e. those who cross Switzerland to France without stopping, are exempted from the obligation to present a test and an entry form. They will therefore transit through Geneva Airport, either on the international side or on the French side, and then return to their home in France."

If you have a home in France then seems you are able to transit - tourists on the otherhand? Who knows?!?

Important to note that the section you have copied and pasted is from under the heading 'I LIVE IN FRANCE' and so is only relevant to French nationals.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes. I stated that in my post.
snow report
@NewSkiingDad, I read that too, but I wasn’t sure if that advice is current since the new variant of concern this week…!?

Wondering if whether to chance it…
snow report
@tutter, you don’t have to be a French National to live in France as I’m sure many on this forum will attest.
snow report
rjj501 wrote:
@tutter, you don’t have to be a French National to live in France as I’m sure many on this forum will attest.

I'm aware of that; I used to live in France.

Just making clear that these rules may not apply to Brits going to France to ski.
ski holidays
rjj501 wrote:
@NewSkiingDad, I read that too, but I wasn’t sure if that advice is current since the new variant of concern this week…!?

Wondering if whether to chance it…

Its the hope that kills you!!

Im due to go to Villars on Friday - 5* Spa Hotel booked - what if we fly into Geneva, drive to France then drive back over to CH?? Its the hope!!
ski holidays
As a schengen passport holder with a property in France in my name can I say that I live in France?
snow report
Way things are going If we don’t end up in level 4 (locals only) might have to look at 24/7 operation to meet demand in Scotland! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
L0ve2ski wrote:
As a schengen passport holder with a property in France in my name can I say that I live in France?

Yes, this is also what I was wondering. We have friends with second homes in France, but I'd be surprised if they were exempt (in the same way as French nationals or other EU passport holders whose main home is in France). Who knows though?
latest report
@NewSkiingDad, I know! We’re flying to GVA on Sat morning - don’t know whether we should drive down instead.

@L0ve2ski, I don’t see why not. As a Schengen passport holder you could decide to move to your French property on the day, could you not?
snow report
@haggishunter, you may be right. Can you get floodlights on all pistes asap? and get the funicular fixed too? cos it's snowing!
Thank you wink
latest report
The source announcement* from the Swiss OFSP says explicitly that this applies to flight arrivals. It makes no mention of any other routes.

The last time the Swiss imposed a quarantine on arrivals from the UK, they specifically applied this only to flight arrivals. UK Nationals entering overland by train or vehicle from an adjacent country were explicitly exempted from quarantine. There was exactly the same ambiguity then as now, around the use of the term 'arrivals'. That was then, of course, so this time may be different. Tweets/posts from Berne have been misleading in the past, until the FOPH, Swiss Consulate in London and Berne got round to harmonising their messaging.

Of course, even if the Swiss don't impose quarantine on UK nationals arriving by road/rail, all it takes to scupper this is for the French to impose a blanket quarantine, or for the FO to 'recommend against' travel to France/CH. And it's no doubt little consolation that you can drive across the border if your flights are already booked or part of a package.

* ADDENDUM: From the FOPH site 17:03 this evening:

'En Tchéquie, dans les Pays-Bas, dans le Royaume-Uni, en Égypte et au Malawi, le variant Omicron a été détecté. Les personnes entrant en Suisse doivent présenter, à l'embarquement dans un avion et à l'entrée en Suisse, un test COVID-19 négatif et se placer 10 jours en quarantaine.' [Which I translate as 'upon boarding a 'plane and entering Switzerland']

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 27-11-21 23:13; edited 4 times in total
snow report
Hmmm.... That ducks our plans for January 22.

Though I garuntee rules will be different (for better or worse) by then anyway .....
snow conditions
Omicron is in Germany. It’s nonsense to say air passengers- even if negative - have to quarantine for 10 days whereas the tens of thousands who cross the German/Swiss border daily don’t. It’s totally incoherent.
snow report
@buchanan101, completely incoherent… but that’s what we’ve come to expect.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't think the GVA information is particularly clear, though https://www.gva.ch/en/Site/Passagers/Questions-Reponses-FAQ/COVID-19#58773a43-0f61-44c0-8946-0294db892d8a appears to be better (seems that the rules for transit are both for living and staying in france).

But I am also suspicious that it isn't necessarily updated yet, so probably needs checking again in a couple of days.

Edit: Yay, it appears this does specifically answer the question (though hasn't been updated as it states no countries currently have "varients of concern" which we know is wrong;

"I am a passenger who has stayed in a country where a variant of concern is circulating, can I enter Switzerland and then go to France?

First, to enter Switzerland:

You must register your contact details via the electronic personal data registration form or on the contact cards provided by the FOPH.
If you are a passenger vaccinated / cured of COVID-19: you can enter Switzerland without undergoing a test or quarantine.
If you are an unvaccinated / uncured passenger: you must show a negative result of a PCR test or a rapid antigen test. People in transit, that is, people who enter Switzerland only to cross it with the intention and the possibility of continuing their journey directly to another country, are not subject to quarantine.
"

So hopefully PSBers will just need a PCR or rapid antigen test...
snow conditions
Have jet2 booked for glasgow geneva 15 jan, anyone think the 10 day Swiss quarantine could be lifted by then?
Is that grounds for jet2 to refund? Guess not if the flight still goes ahead. Travel Insurance payout? Resigned to not skiing and losing money Sad
ski holidays
Fingers crossed the rules allow for transit or change as I am flying in on the 1st of January, though if they do clarify and say it's not allowed looks like I can just fly into Grenoble early in the morning and just leave through Geneva at the end of my holiday.
Also these quarentine rules for countries who have a couple of cases and have them isolated are pretty ridiculous, you are mainly punishing countries who have their act together.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 27-11-21 23:22; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Klammertime wrote:
Have jet2 booked for glasgow geneva 15 jan, anyone think the 10 day Swiss quarantine could be lifted by then?
Is that grounds for jet2 to refund? Guess not if the flight still goes ahead. Travel Insurance payout? Resigned to not skiing and losing money Sad

A good chance as Omricon will be everywhere by then and quarantining travellers won’t make any difference.
snow report
Klammertime wrote:

As long as they fly, I am fairly sure the airline doesn't have liability. Even if they don't they may only be liable for the flights...

Unfortunately it is also likely that your insurer won't cover a country going into lockdown. (insurance only really works if it can spread individual risk over a wide population who aren't impacted. By definition the insurer needs to charge more than the cost of all payouts, so for covid lockdowns that means premiums (over time) greater than the cost of holidays...

Or excluding the risk because if they charge enough to deal with it, then most will just take the risk of total loss instead...)
ski holidays
Tried to stay positive but looks like another season without any sliding. Due to fly to Geneva then up to Chamonix on 10th Jan. Swiss 10 day quarantine now in effect and the new French lift rules just make it a complete drain. Holidays are meant to fun and relatively hassle free. Got 2 weeks before departure to change flights and cancel accommodation. Its the hope that kills you. If we follow the trends things will get worse/stricter before things get better.
ski holidays
Email from Swiss:

'Only the following passengers are allowed to board direct flights from the United Kingdom to Switzerland:

Nationals of Switzerland and EEA members states and their families
Residents of Switzerland and Liechtenstein
Residents of Schengen Member states, returning to their country of residence
Holders of a Visa Type D for Switzerland'

So no U.K. tourists will be allowed to board a flight to CH, unless they have a residence permit in a Schengen or EEA country.

It's an absolute nightmare.
ski holidays
What about away from Switzerland
latest report
buchanan101 wrote:
Klammertime wrote:

A good chance as Omricon will be everywhere by then and quarantining travellers won’t make any difference.

good chance that countries will be in lockdown if Omricon is everywhere
latest report
telford_mike wrote:
Email from Swiss:

'Only the following passengers are allowed to board direct flights from the United Kingdom to Switzerland:

So no U.K. tourists will be allowed to board a flight to CH, unless they have a residence permit in a Schengen or EEA country.

And what makes this even more of a shambles is Brexit. If we were still members of the club we would be allowed to fly to CH from the UK rolling eyes .

In other words the virus knows we've opted out! Stupid, brainless, bureaucratic bar stewards of the highest order!
snow conditions
Bergmeister wrote:
telford_mike wrote:
Email from Swiss:

And what makes this even more of a shambles is Brexit. If we were still members of the club we would be allowed to fly to CH from the UK rolling eyes .

In other words the virus knows we've opted out! Stupid, brainless, bureaucratic bar stewards of the highest order!

Explain that one?
You aware Netherlands & Chechia will also have the same rules as UK citizens if entering switzerland from their respective countries.
ski holidays
Bergmeister wrote:
telford_mike wrote:
Email from Swiss:

Could we save rants for the rant threads in Apres? The threads in the Piste are at their most useful when they stick to facts, as we try to plan what we are going to do for the coming season's skiing.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy