Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is the 2021/2022 in doubt ?

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know if the Swiss quarantine requirement when it applied earlier this year affected transit, or was it just for those planning to stay in Switzerland?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@CathS, this is what I'm trying to find out as well, flying to GVA for the PSB from Israel.
Their much needed website who could give us the answer is awaiting upgrade Mad
https://travelcheck.admin.ch/home
I've sent CH embassy in Tel Aviv an email, will publish it here if/when they'll get back to me.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mr.Egg wrote:
martinperry wrote:
First 2 UK cases confirmed.
Switzerland gone then!

dont they vote on lifting restrictions tomorrow?

Think until everyone stops panicking about Omicron (2/ 3 months??) All bets are off.
Dont think this will be just Ch either - reckon its another season gone unfortunately.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Boris is due to make an announcement at 5:00 today hopefully some one has told him what to say. I expect a knee jerk decision with lots of holes in it.

It may be that Peppa Pig has been infected with OMICRON.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sadly I think cases in uk will see France red list the uk, have resigned myself to writing off Jan trip. May be lucky and get something in March.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So BoJo the Clown has announced PCR and self-isolation until negative on return from abroad = reviewed in 3 weeks..... will it be enough to save the Christmas season??
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mr.Egg, yes, but 60% are expected to vote to keep them.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowsartre wrote:
So BoJo the Clown has announced PCR and self-isolation until negative on return from abroad = reviewed in 3 weeks..... will it be enough to save the Christmas season??

Just like before any important holiday, BoJo is punishing people who want to go abroad so they will spend money in UK rather than elsewhere.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@thierryd,
Quote:

Just like before any important holiday, BoJo is punishing people who want to go abroad so they will spend money in UK rather than elsewhere.

I'm no fan of Johnson, but sounds like a pragmatic approach in the circumstances. If France, Switzerland etc adopt a similar stance (instead of red-listing us) we will still be able to travel to ski this winter. Fingers crossed...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
CathS wrote:
@thierryd,
Quote:

I'm no fan of Johnson, but sounds like a pragmatic approach in the circumstances. If France, Switzerland etc adopt a similar stance (instead of red-listing us) we will still be able to travel to ski this winter. Fingers crossed...

Switerland have already red-listed us by default. Yesterdays announcement said that any country with any cases is on the list!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@thierryd, I think he's doing it now, and in three weeks it will be reviewed, so people can then travel sans hindrance abroad and return without hassle around the holidays, makes sense to me.

Trouble is he's damned if he does nothing and the same when he actually does something rolling eyes

Just now wait for Macron to do similar?

We're getting out of Dodge tomorrow for the season, though my OH is coming back for a few days around Xmas, what's the betting it all goes Pete Tong again and she ends up stuck in the UK like this year Puzzled
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
With cases in Belgium almost certain that there will be cases in France in the next couple of days , going to France for next weekend but rate it 50/50 now , let’s see what France does as a reaction wouldn’t be surprised if movement between all European countries is restricted over the next week .
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I suspect France will also red list us, purely as part of the games Bozo and Macron are playing rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weathercam wrote:
@thierryd, I think he's doing it now, and in three weeks it will be reviewed, so people can then travel sans hindrance abroad and return without hassle around the holidays, makes sense to me.

I just remember what occured during the very last 2 years and that everytime BoJo made such decisions to stop people going abroad for holidays, so money is spend in UK. Personnaly I don't care as with my french passport I can still going to France for my holidays and back home in UK then after. But everytime I am sad for my english friends who can't do the same..... To bad
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
martinperry wrote:
CathS wrote:
@thierryd,
Quote:

Switerland have already red-listed us by default. Yesterdays announcement said that any country with any cases is on the list!

What announcement is this? Im due to go to Switzerland on thursday! Shocked
ski holidays
https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/fr/home/das-bag/aktuell/medienmitteilungen.msg-id-86143.html
Clear as mud.
I was going to FR on Wed.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 27-11-21 18:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@thierryd, we have French residency but if you go to France and return to London, like my OH, you maybe will still have to isolate etc

Last Xmas was a little different and wasn't it the little Napoleon that halted all travel from the UK to France leaving many lorry drivers stranded in the UK for Xmas n'est pas? Laughing
latest report
NewSkiingDad wrote:

Mandatory 10-day quarantine for arrivals to Switzerland from countries where Omicron variant has been detected. South Africa, Belgium etc. are explicitly mentioned; UK isn't yet, but that's probably because the detected cases have only just made the headlines Sad

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 27-11-21 18:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
@thierryd, we have French residency but if you go to France and return to London, like my OH, you maybe will still have to isolate etc

Last Xmas was a little different and wasn't it the little Napoleon that halted all travel from the UK to France leaving many lorry drivers stranded in the UK for Xmas n'est pas? Laughing

Last year it was BoJo that punished with long self isolation and 3 PCR test any traveler.....
snow conditions
drporat wrote:
@CathS, this is what I'm trying to find out as well, flying to GVA for the PSB from Israel.
Their much needed website who could give us the answer is awaiting upgrade Mad
https://travelcheck.admin.ch/home
I've sent CH embassy in Tel Aviv an email, will publish it here if/when they'll get back to me.

I think the info you need is here:
https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/empfehlungen-fuer-reisende/quarantaene-einreisende.html
and you need to click through from there also to "Am I even allowed to travel to Switzerland?" which takes you to this page:
https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home/sem/aktuell/faq-einreiseverweigerung.html#2005127624

My reading of these pages is that you can only transit through Switzerland from one of the "list of countries with a variant of concern" form a "3rd country" into a Schengen country if you either have a residence document or a "visa type d" for the country you're heading for. I think if the UK goes on "the list" we're screwed in terms of getting to the PSB (assuming that you can't transit through Geneva airport while staying entirely in France.)
ski holidays
UK now added to the Swiss list of countries with a VOC: https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/empfehlungen-fuer-reisende/liste.html
latest report
@denfinella, where did you see the hotel quarantine bit? From what I read it was quarantine at home, but no public transport to get there…
snow report
NewSkiingDad wrote:
martinperry wrote:
CathS wrote:
@thierryd,
Quote:

https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/empfehlungen-fuer-reisende/liste.html

and this (note the list below is out of date - the newest list is in the link above)

".Tightening of entry rules: quarantine for arrivals
Since 8pm on 26.11.2021, the following countries have been on the list of countries with a variant of concern: Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Belgium, Hong Kong and Israel. Anyone entering Switzerland from these countries must present a negative test result and quarantine for 10 days. This also applies to vaccinated and recovered persons.

Only people who are Swiss nationals or hold a residence permit for Switzerland or a country in the Schengen area can enter Switzerland from these countries..."

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 27-11-21 19:05; edited 3 times in total
snow report
Based on the summer I think Switzerland trips will be out for the foreseeable unless you have residence etc. Whole Swiss system seems to be driven towards keeping out the VOC and we have declared we have it now. Expect the announcement soon. Not sure where that leaves Geneva transit but crossing fingers. France may be more pragmatic but the fact we are in a diplomatic crisis won't help either.
snow conditions
This is absolute fuc..king bull....sh...it. Excuse the french but it is. Due to go to Villars on Thursday for a few days and then to Thyon on 17th December. Bol.locks!
snow conditions
@sugarmoma666, thanks for the input.
So Geneva must be quickly replaced by Lyon
ski holidays
thierryd wrote:
Weathercam wrote:

I just remember what occured during the very last 2 years and that everytime BoJo made such decisions to stop people going abroad for holidays, so money is spend in UK. Personnaly I don't care as with my french passport I can still going to France for my holidays and back home in UK then after. But everytime I am sad for my english friends who can't do the same..... To bad

Do you really feel we need the politics lecture from your slant about every decision all governments are now required to make ?

Generally people are coming to interests like this to get away from those concerns.
latest report
Snowsartre wrote:

This will ruin any overseas trip if you need to be at work/school the next day.

Saying that, Collinson do 3 hour PCR tests at Heathrow, Gatwick and a few other places, and they presumably can be used immediately when you arrive for Day 2. But they costs £95 a pop.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
New variant is also found in Italy now - maybe it isn’t at all, we just haven’t looked for it?
snow conditions
@sugarmoma666, It also states right below that "It is only possible to enter Switzerland from a high-risk country in order to travel on to another Schengen state for a short stay of up to 90 days if you can prove that you have been vaccinated (see “How can I prove that I am vaccinated?”). Persons under 18 may enter Switzerland if they are travelling with an adult who has been vaccinated.
Otherwise the normal requirements for entering Switzerland apply." So looks like for vaccinated people going through Geneva to France there might not be an issue, and for familys with kids this doesn't seem to pose a problem either.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 27-11-21 19:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Phantom wrote:
@sugarmoma666, It also states right below that "It is only possible to enter Switzerland from a high-risk country in order to travel on to another Schengen state for a short stay of up to 90 days if you can prove that you have been vaccinated (see “How can I prove that I am vaccinated?”). Persons under 18 may enter Switzerland if they are travelling with an adult who has been vaccinated.
Otherwise the normal requirements for entering Switzerland apply." So looks like for vaccinated people going through Geneva to France there might not be an issue

True. It's not very well formatted, so you might be right.
ski holidays
Quote:

Phantom wrote:
Otherwise the normal requirements for entering Switzerland apply." So looks like for vaccinated people going through Geneva to France there might not be an issue

True. It's not very well formatted, so you might be right.

Yes the formatting is pretty awful, should be bulletpoints per paragraph as it seems to be 3 sets of different criteria under one heading I think.
latest report
Quote:

Phantom

I think that you will probably be correct on this, as if you are transiting you are not deemed as 'entering' Switzerland; so French entry rules would apply. It should hopefully become a bit clearer when the Swiss Travelchecker is updated.
snow conditions
To those with knowledge / experience of transitting to france via geneva airport - our hire car is booked on the Swiss side so will have to collect it before heading over to france, will this still be ok?
ski holidays
NewSkiingDad wrote:
To those with knowledge / experience of transitting to france via geneva airport - our hire car is booked on the Swiss side so will have to collect it before heading over to france, will this still be ok?

It's even the best way to reach France for ski with insurance to get winter tyres...
ski holidays
colinstone wrote:
The Swiss bulletin includes:
"With regard to travel plans for the next few weeks or changes to bookings (especially during the Christmas holidays), it recommends waiting to see how the situation develops over the next few days."
Looks like the initial alpha flurry of 20 Dec last year.

I agree with the sentiment, but what’s the Swiss bulletin / do you have a link?
latest report
@Gämsbock, The last para of https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/fr/home/das-bag/aktuell/medienmitteilungen.msg-id-86143.html
snow conditions
rjj501 wrote:
@denfinella, where did you see the hotel quarantine bit? From what I read it was quarantine at home, but no public transport to get there…

Sorry, thought I'd manage to edit that out before anyone had managed to see it / reply Laughing
ski holidays
colinstone wrote:
@Gämsbock, The last para of https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/fr/home/das-bag/aktuell/medienmitteilungen.msg-id-86143.html

Hit 'EN' top right of the page for the English version
ski holidays
@colinstone, thanks.
@tutter, thanks - that page is not available in English but fortunately I can read German Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy