Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is the 2021/2022 in doubt ?

Poster: A snowHead
New Government in Japan beginning to allow entry.

At this stage only selected countries and those studying or working.

But the feeling is tourists will be allowed in pretty soon.

2021/22 Japan Season could well be on.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AUSTRIA

The CV infection Hospital IC occupation rate situation is moving alarmingly fast .....

Consultation meeting scheduled for today now put back until Friday.

All Federal State Governors to attend at a Hotel on the Achensee.

Agenda ...

Austrian Health Minister is in Favour of this & Experts want to go even further Shocked

Nationwide Closedown/Curfew 22:00 hrs

Testing for Vaccinated People to enter Crowded spaces .... Vax Proof + Covid Test (2G+)

If your planning on just doing Day trips to the slopes from nearby cities in Germany & Switzerland its should not be a problem but if your looking for the Holiday experience and these proposed measures take effect ..... It would not be what I call a "Holiday"...

Just a pre warning of what is possibly coming . .....check the news Friday .... Sad Sad

Yesterday in Vienna

https://twitter.com/consent_factory/status/1460732372870180871?s=20

Shocked

Update ..09:00 17/11/21

The number of new corona infections reached a new record in Austria on Wednesday.
Within one day, 14,416 new infections have been added, more than at any time since the beginning of the pandemic.
This is well above the average of the past seven days with 12,164 cases.
The seven-day incidence also rose sharply to 953.2 cases per 100,000 inhabitants.
The day before, it was still at 919.4. Since Tuesday, 41 more deaths have been reported.

Experts this morning are advising a Short HARD Lockdown but also a policy shift as Lockdown will not be enough....

SLOVENIIA

The situation south over the border is even Worse !
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Case rates per head of population in Germany/Switzerland are roughly half those in Austria, and in France/Italy a bit under half again. But the worrying feature is that in all five countries cases are roughly doubling every two weeks.

So with Austria imposing a (likely) 20-day lockdown now, will Germany/Switzerland follow suit in early December, and then France/Italy in mid-December? Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Case rates are a red herring, you only get cases if you test people and if you compare test numbers per country there is a huge variation, at one point we were testing nearly the same number as all the rest of europe combined.

The only stat that is useful is the numbers going to hospitals and ICU units, it's the health services ability to cope in various countries that will drive how they react,
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Now deciding on Italy, since my Austria trip got binned off!
Can fly to Bergamo cheap. £5 out & £13 back
Just any resorts seem a PITA for transfers.
So thinking of risking it…. My biggest problem is that Eastern Europe & the countries that border North (Slovenia & Austria) & the sea boarders of Italy East coast are in a lot worse position than Italy… Aosta would be the safe bet, since the Swiss & French cases are relatively under control.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mr.Egg, I too have swapped for Italy.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hey folks

In case you have not heard...as of couple days ago

Italy South Tirol resturant etc have to close at 18:00 .

There us also a nightime Curfew 8pm to 05. Am ..

Air travel

Really NOT a good idea to be travelling ANYWHERE for the time being (next few months) .. These people took a risk and are now complaining...

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/travellers-south-africa-britain-covid-variant-nu-red-list-b968463.html

Expect Travel bans .... EU and third Countries and poss be internal EU border controls/closure

Just sayin....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@stanton, Bless! Hope you get better soon.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@stanton, Ta for the update. Wishing you were... in South Africa!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
robs1 wrote:
Case rates are a red herring, you only get cases if you test people and if you compare test numbers per country there is a huge variation, at one point we were testing nearly the same number as all the rest of europe combined.

The only stat that is useful is the numbers going to hospitals and ICU units, it's the health services ability to cope in various countries that will drive how they react,

Agree, your better measure is hospitalisation since this is the impact the dieses is having on health infrastructure.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stanton wrote:
Hey folks

Air travel

Really NOT a good idea to be travelling ANYWHERE for the time being (next few months) .. These people took a risk and are now complaining...

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/travellers-south-africa-britain-covid-variant-nu-red-list-b968463.html

Expect Travel bans .... EU and third Countries and poss be internal EU border controls/closure

Just sayin....

have you ever considered the idea your opinions are generally unwelcome?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@robs1, a more enlightening analysis, perhaps is looking at the ratios between case rates, admissions and deaths. But that's too complicated if you have a Daily Mail editor to succour.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:
Completely agree with your comments on why Macron got elements right - I do find it strange that we were so quick to get the vaccination programme going, but slow to roll it out to 12+.
The government started the roll-out for 12-15 year olds as soon as they were advised to do so by the Chief Medical Officers of the home nations. Since then the School Vaccination Service in England seems to have been slower than the arrangements in Scotland, were children that age were invited to use the mass vaccination centres rather than rely on school-based jabs. That changes for England, and from this (or next?) week 12-15 years in England can also use the mass vaccination centres, subject to getting an appointment.

In our locality, NHS England mucked us (GPs) around so much with the initial vaccination program (paid us less than costs, "volunteering" was compulsory, no flexibility on other contractual obligations in recognition of the extra workload burden) that we all declined to engage with subsequent vaccination programs. Hence the boosters and younger age groups being rolled out so much more slowly.

It's quite obvious that our government is paying lip service to taking the pandemic seriously. They didn't adequately fund the vaccination program to make it effective. They don't wear masks. Mask wearing is tacitly discouraged in government buildings. They don't make it easy for people to self isolate. They don't make it easy for people to get hold of masks. They don't make it clear about which tests to use and when. They haven't made it clear that Covid is airborne and so busy indoor environments are very high risk. They haven't updated the covid symptoms since April last year. They haven't publicised that the guidance has changed and people should start taking lateral flow tests before meeting others.

I could go on. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As much as I enjoy Stanton bashing, for once he makes a valid point. High case numbers and new variant may mean no skiing for many of us over next month or so
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cav wrote:
stanton wrote:
Hey folks

Air travel

Just sayin....

have you ever considered the idea your opinions are generally unwelcome?

It's probably because Stanton the troll refuses to get vaccinated, and consequently won't be able to ski (if he actually ever does) that he believes that no one else should be able to ski Mad
snow report
https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/fr/home/das-bag/aktuell/medienmitteilungen.msg-id-86143.html

Switzerland imposes 10 day quarantine on people travelling from southern Africa, Hong Kong, Israel and Belgium. No entry for those without Swiss residency or nationality or the right to reside inside Schengen.

Someone should check I've translated that correctly, my French doesn't get as much use as it did.
snow report
I think St Anton makes valuable points. I've had to cancel a trip to Obergurgl due to leave Manchester to Innsbruck on the 5th of Dec for 7 days. Flights, car parking and Hotel have all been carried forward to W/C 9th of Jan. I think with the impact of the new South African strain I'll be surprised if Austria doesn't extend the present lock down. I feel that skiing might be available to Austrian nationals in a few resorts but I'm not confident that I'll be able to fly out. No doubt this will have to be moved forward once again. I've got Gressony, Grindelwald and Zermatt in the pipeline and as I'm now retired I can re- schedule with not much trouble. Feel for anyone who has to work within work/office holiday rota's, it must be even more of a nightmare. In the meantime I'll keep fit riding my mountain bike and road bike with my friends and more importantly keeping sane. If it goes tits up, I've got Scotland on my doorstep and Raise in the Lake District. What weird times we're living in but at the end of the day 1st world problems. The news over the past few days only emphasises this when I think about how lucky I am in many ways.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 26-11-21 21:24; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
gorilla wrote:
Switzerland imposes 10 day quarantine on people travelling from southern Africa, Hong Kong, Israel and Belgium. No entry for those without Swiss residency or nationality or the right to reside inside Schengen.
I think there’s been one confirmed case in Belgium, two confirmed cases in Israel. Chances are that other countries, including the UK, will see isolated examples of the new variant in the next few weeks. Will those countries quickly find themselves on Switzerland’s red list?
latest report
@rob@rar, I think those flights I have to Geneva in mid Jan are now looking doubtful. Oh well.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
...I think there’s been one confirmed case in Belgium, two confirmed cases in Israel. Chances are that other countries, including the UK, will see isolated examples of the new variant in the next few weeks. Will those countries quickly find themselves on Switzerland’s red list?

The bulletin (which is also in English) says " The test and quarantine obligation will be extended to other countries in which the new variant will be detected, with the exception of countries neighboring Switzerland."
ski holidays
Booked a 4 day trip to Zermatt from UK, arriving mid-Dec. Chances are the Swiss quarantine measures are going to scupper that.
ski holidays
France, for families with teens under 16, is a nightmare. We are trying to postpone our trip for a year.

The single UK vaccine (that's all they get here) counts for nothing out there, so they will have to be tested, in resort, every 24 hours. More ski time lost, as they queue, get tested, wait for results. More money (€22 per child, per day).

I suspect there will be a few cracking last minute deals for fully vaccinated travellers, as families like us can't face the hassle, so cancel/postpone trips.

(Anyone looking for a corking chalet in Tignes Les Brev for New Year week? Crying or Very sad )
latest report
Quote:

The bulletin (which is also in English)

Sorry. They didn't have the English up when I posted that.
snow report
@ecureuil, Ouch. Flights to Geneva on the 11th. Given our 'world beating' sequencing, we'll pick it up in the UK no doubt at some point soon. Was going to cancel anyway because of the situation with the PS and French lifts, but the uncertainty over flights pretty much confirms it.
snow conditions
Flights to Geneva on the 2nd December, fingers crossed !!!
snow report
Thunderer21 wrote:

Ours are on the 3rd... feeling tense right now haha.

On the plus side there are some positive noises being made about vaccines remaining effective against the new variant. I don't think we're in for another winter shutdown to be honest.
ski holidays
@cav, Double fingers crossed !!
latest report
ecureuil wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
...I think there’s been one confirmed case in Belgium, two confirmed cases in Israel. Chances are that other countries, including the UK, will see isolated examples of the new variant in the next few weeks. Will those countries quickly find themselves on Switzerland’s red list?

The bulletin (which is also in English) says " The test and quarantine obligation will be extended to other countries in which the new variant will be detected, with the exception of countries neighboring Switzerland."
That's what I feared might be the case, surely it's inevitable that we will see a few confirmed cases of Omicron variant here in the UK? Personally, I hope that they don't apply these rules to passengers transiting through GVA to France if the test and quarantine rules are applied to UK residents, but I'm not be confident about that
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Swiss did this in the summer and they did not lift the ban/quarantine until delta had pretty much taken over, long after the ship had sailed. Not sure how it affected transit either. Agree it's really worrying.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 27-11-21 10:35; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@rob@rar, Thats an option for us, instead of Verbier could go to Tigne instead which I guess would be the nearest open resort.
ski holidays
I was wondering how would the quarantine thing work if you were leaving Switzerland 20 minutes after arrival to just transit to france… Puzzled
latest report
As a scientist-but not a virologist-I follow the general line is that if CV changed its spike protein shape to such an extent that vaccines become significantly less effective, the same protein would no longer be the right shape to be able to efficiently unlock and get into our cells. In other words, it might evade vaccines but the flip side is that it could no longer infect us.
This is why vaccines target the spike protein of coronaviruses-the virus can't afford to change them to a large extent.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 27-11-21 11:20; edited 1 time in total
latest report
snowhound wrote:
As a scientist-but not a virologist-I follow the general line is that if CV changed its spike protein shape to such an extent that vaccines become significantly less effective, the same protein would no longer be the right shape to be able to efficiently unlock and get into our cells. In other words, it might evade vaccines but the flip side is that it could no longer infect us.
Hopefully that's true. I've read the same point from some virologists in the last couple of days. My concern is that the variant has a transmission advantage, so will bump up infection numbers again, in the same way as Alpha and Delta did. We know that vaccines are 'leaky' and that breakthrough infections happen, probably with increasing frequency as protection wanes. So even if Omicron is no better at evading vaccines, we might see a step change in infections in unvaccinated and vaccinated populations, just because of the transmission advantage compared to Delta. That's going to come at exactly the wrong time, especially for skiers who are hoping for something closer to normal this season, as well as for the more pressing concerns about health service pressures during winter months.
latest report
cav wrote:
Thunderer21 wrote:

Ours are on the 3rd... feeling tense right now haha.

On the plus side there are some positive noises being made about vaccines remaining effective against the new variant. I don't think we're in for another winter shutdown to be honest.

Likewise, through Geneva to Val T on the 5th. Was feeling fairly confident before this...

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 27-11-21 11:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@snowhound, you have to be right on that. I think there had been scientists modelling the effects of lots of mutations individually on vaccine-induced immunity, but the appearance of a variant with a whole bunch of them at once has taken things into uncertain territory.

In the absence of hard data, Omicron could be a huge problem, but won't be necessarily. Unfortunately it makes total sense to slow its spread by restricting travel while the necessary studies are done - which could well impact on those of us hoping to travel to somewhere with ski slopes.
snow report
stanton wrote:
Hey folks

Italy South Tirol    resturant  etc have to close at 18:00 .

There us also a nightime Curfew   8pm to 05. Am ..

Not true. There are indeed certain municipalities mainly around Bolzano (I have a friend there) that have gone 'red' and stronger measures are in place. This is because the un-vaxed were holding 'Covid parties' where, in theory  rolling eyes , they'd catch Covid, recover, have the antibodies and then not need a jab or two or three. Absolute f*cking madness when you sit and think about it. So, because of that, there was an alarming spike in numbers. If you are heading for Arabba, Corvara, Colfosco, San Cassiano etc you'll (currently) be Ok and the Dolomiti Superski folks seem to be working hard to keep it that way.

So stanton, stop spreading fake news, do some research, grow up a bit.

Here you go - a tiny amount of research!

Quote:
What additional restrictions will apply from 24.11. to 7.12.2021 in which municipalities? The municipalities affected are: Rodeneck, St. Pankraz, Kuens, Vintl, Ulten, Martell, Kastelbell-Tschars, Natz-Schabs, Schnals, Plaus, Kastelruth, Marling, Lajen, Burgstall, St. Ulrich, Moos in Passeier, Villnöss, St. Christina in Gröden, Rasen-Antholz and Mühlbach.Between 8 pm and 5 am only those movements are allowed that are justified by proven work requirements, health reasons or situations of urgency. A corresponding self-declaration must be filled out in the event of a control.Sports activities are permitted during the day with a distance of 2 metres and motor activities with a distance of 1 metre and mandatory wearing of face masks. Sports and motor activities are not allowed between 8 pm and 5 am.In closed rooms (except from one's own home) and also everywhere outdoors where the interpersonal distance of 1 m cannot be maintained permanently, an FFP2 mask must be worn. FFP2 masks are mandatory also for customers and staff within commercial establishments.Bars and restaurants may host guests from 5 am to 6 pm at tables with a maximum of 4 persons.All indoor events, whether in private or public places, are prohibited. Also suspended are rehearsals and performances by choirs and music bands, as well as theatre performances, cinema activities, conferences and similar meetings in presence.Organised public events in demarcated outdoor areas may take place in compliance with the safety regulations in force.Activities of swimming pools and swimming centres as well as indoor activities of gyms, fitness centres, etc. are suspended, except for rehabilitation and therapy services.Sports events of national and international interest are permitted and other sporting competitions only without an audience, outdoors and individual sports.

snow report
Think we're going to cancel our GVA flights and rebook for Italy. Looks like they may be less likely to shut the borders than Switzerland?
latest report
First 2 UK cases confirmed.
Switzerland gone then!
snow report
The Swiss bulletin includes:
"With regard to travel plans for the next few weeks or changes to bookings (especially during the Christmas holidays), it recommends waiting to see how the situation develops over the next few days."
Looks like the initial alpha flurry of 20 Dec last year.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 27-11-21 17:34; edited 1 time in total
latest report
martinperry wrote:
First 2 UK cases confirmed.
Switzerland gone then!

dont they vote on lifting restrictions tomorrow?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy