Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is the 2021/2022 in doubt ?

Poster: A snowHead
Idris wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:
PASS SANITAIRE

It has been confirmed that because ski lifts are considered to be public transport (rather than long distance transport), you will not be required to have a pass sanitaire to access them.

Trying to get conformation. Aiguille du Midi is over 50 persons per cabin and will be subject to pass sanitaire!

Ah. I was quoting from a Morzine page. The biggest lift on the Morzine/Les Gets pass is a 10 man.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would not get to excited about this season going ahead as usual for X border Tourism

Infections (Delta) are rising rapidly .. Booster Vax will be needed (Europewide) before Winter and this is all questionable if its possible in time...

Front Page (Today) de Zeit (German)

https://www.zeit.de/wissen/corona-karte-deutschland-aktuelle-zahlen-landkreise
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@stanton, The "as usual" is a big fat caveat there. Nobody expects this coming season to be normal. Only an idiot would. I fully expect there will be cross border tourism though. It will probably require vaccination status and testing though. And apres will be non existent.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DIT Aprés is the future
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Timmycb5 wrote:
@stanton, The "as usual" is a big fat caveat there. Nobody expects this coming season to be normal. Only an idiot would. I fully expect there will be cross border tourism though. It will probably require vaccination status and testing though. And apres will be non existent.

Why will apres be non-existent?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Of course the season will be on, as will bars, cafés and restaurants. Just look at Switzerland last winter as the baseline model, with immunisation and COVID passes on top. Anti-vaxx zealots may wish it otherwise but they can stay at home - a consequence of having a free choice. The rest of us can get on with Life, albeit involving change and adaptation.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GreenDay wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:

Poorly ventilated bars with drinkers packed shoulder to shoulder are a perfect place to spread COVID. If you're going to have any restrictions, closing those bars is one of the first things to do.

Drinks on a terrace shouldn't be a problem though, as long as they aren't too packed.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thelem wrote:
GreenDay wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:

Poorly ventilated bars with drinkers packed shoulder to shoulder are a perfect place to spread COVID. If you're going to have any restrictions, closing those bars is one of the first things to do.

Drinks on a terrace shouldn't be a problem though, as long as they aren't too packed.

I dont think that a few restrictions on numbers in some places will be a bad thing tbqh
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Depends on your definition of Apres - the beer and wine will be flowing, music, game playing and cheeseboard served in which ever shoebox apartment we rent, same as it is every year Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Layne, Ditto. Also, fewer drunken skiers behaving like idiots on the slopes. Got whacked by one of those low lifes a few years back. End of holiday and home in plaster. Even Covid has its upsides.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There can still be drunken skiers, all they have to do is sit outside, or bring it in their knapsack. Anytime I have had to avoid an idiot from behind it wasn't drink that was the problem it was teenage hormones , where they think skiing is about speed and not the need to turn or stop at quick notice.
I can see this season being quite normal, as someone said maybe the night clubs and packed bars will be gone, but I don't consider that a bad thing, nor do I consider it a bad thing that people will be keeping their distance in ques or on the gondolas, hate that push.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If the late bars/night clubs are closed the pistes might be busier in the mornings.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I’m confident the season will be on for those vaccinated and (perhaps) with a bit of flexibility about travel arrangements or timings. Everything running beautifully where I have seen in VT/LM/St M for summer with passe sanitaire, masks, some reduced capacity etc. Includes restaurants and bars. Just like last summer in Switzerland in fact and (as pointed out above) last winter CH showed how it could be done even pre vaccination. I’m not so confident about the prospects of us with unvaccinated children (especially if UK JCVI keep dragging their heels over 12-15 year olds) also who are limited by dint of school holidays to fixed dates at busy times. But watching and hoping!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The image posted by Neils has a great big Grey area at the top of Italy -- that will do me !!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We've decided that we're not going this winter. At least not as things stand. We might book late if it turns out to be normal but if, as looks likely, it's a case of being more expensive than ever with a list of things you can't do then they can get stuffed.

This whole pantomime of certificates and tests and ever changing traffic lights just puts me off foreign travel. Right now I couldn't care less if I never left the UK again.

I've taken up golf again and learned fly fishing. Both things that people want to come here to do and certainly don't involve me needing to go anywhere abroad. We're going to buy a holiday lodge near to some great golf courses and the deposit will be what would have been spent on skiing in winter 21/22.

I can still ski in Scotland if the weather permits.

Its really up to the Alpine countries to decide if they want to cook the golden goose or not...
latest report
@robboj, To each their own.
snow conditions
robboj wrote:

Its really up to the Alpine countries to decide if they want to cook the golden goose or not...

How so?
Seems home nations has the stricter entry requirements for tests & things.
One to enter the UK (pre departure test) & another 2 days after return. In Wales, that day 2 test has to be via the official CTM portal & priced at £68 if vaccinated.
Most other countries only require vaccination or a single entry test.
snow report
@robboj, your choice of course. Alpine countries are welcoming tourists right now. In fact it seems to be a bumper and relatively normal summer season. If that's not to your liking then fine. Everyone is hopeful that the winter season will be much the same. But likely without crowded après bars.
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
robboj wrote:

How so?
Seems home nations has the stricter entry requirements for tests & things.
One to enter the UK (pre departure test) & another 2 days after return. In Wales, that day 2 test has to be via the official CTM portal & priced at £68 if vaccinated.
Most other countries only require vaccination or a single entry test.

It doesn't really matter which end is the most strict tbh. If we or they want to persist with it then I'll keep my money and stop them having it.

Not much sympathy for the travel industry either TBH. in other ways they've been at it for years with some so called security restrictions just a racket to increase airport spending.

Hell mend them.
snow conditions
@robboj, you are probably right. Last winter where I was, snow depths in March were 170% of the rolling 10 year average. So unlikely to be repeated next season and best save your pennies.
But I've booked in from late Nov to end March as usual.
latest report
@robboj, cheer up son, it may never happen Little Angel

To be fair I have *some* sympathy. I don't like hassle and I don't like paying ££ for a simple test that costs a few quid to make/process. But I also don't like cutting off my nose to spite my face. So within reason I'll jump through a few hoops for a ski holiday if I have to.
ski holidays
Mankei wrote:
@robboj, your choice of course. Alpine countries are welcoming tourists right now. In fact it seems to be a bumper and relatively normal summer season. If that's not to your liking then fine. Everyone is hopeful that the winter season will be much the same. But likely without crowded après bars.

Thats good for them then, I'm sure that they'll not miss my contribution.

If my view/feeling spreads then they might have an issue. Two years ago I couldn't have imagined not going skiing for 2 or 3 weeks every winter. If anyone had suggested that by 2022 I might not even want to go I would have laughed at them. But something has really changed in my mindset and the social effects of the pandemic have been the catalyst. Covid has shown me that I can relax and enjoy other things with less cost and almost no hassle. If lots of folks think that then the entire travel business has a problem, not just the skiing part.

Skiing has become ridiculously expensive and the entire industry has and still does operate a view that we'll pitch up with our cash every season and that they are entitled to expect that. So, if what you say is correct then the gravy train runs on, well apart from the poor sods that made their cash in Après that is. I expect the rest will keep feeding the Covid crocodile though?

I met up with six school friends on Friday, all well off professionals in their fifties that had become used to spending significantly on various nice foreign holidays each year. Every one of them said they aren't booking anything for the foreseeable. One talked of a villa in Mallorca they had taken for a fortnight for several years. He had enquired for next July and the price is twice what they paid in 2019. So they're not going. The others are at least of the view that until such times that they can plan and book with the same certainty that they used to have they will not be booking anything. One other is thinking the same as me. Every one of them bar me has been in the cancellation, postpone, try and get a refund, accept a voucher etc. palaver and just isn't playing anymore.

One other works for a very large British company which I'll not name. Any physical business air travel now has to be signed off at executive level with a business case for why it's needed including why it can't be done remotely. When it was introduced it was just for during the pandemic but they're saving so much cash and seeing no downsides to efficiency that its been made permanent. If that is common and remains so it's only going to make leisure tourism more expensive in every way.

This is going to have an effect.
snow report
@robboj, "I can still ski in Scotland if the weather permits. "

Well, technically ...

I can see and understand your reasoning. It wouldn't be mine, but it's just as valid.

I don't see the tourism industry as being any worse than any other leisure sector, and certainly by Chamonix's numbers, few others do either Happy
snow report
robboj wrote:
Skiing has become ridiculously expensive

Would like to see evidence of that.

This well known thread has been running since 2016 without to my eye any conclusive evidence.

The last two weeks I skied before the pandemic I got an apartment for 4 in the prime ski areas of France for 285 and 543 Euro's for a week. Lift passes ~ 250 Euros a piece. And so on.
latest report
@Layne, Just my opinion. Not trying to prove it. I'm sure it's well enough covered in that thread
snow conditions
@Mr.Egg, Agreed. It is increasingly looking like UK being the outlier in terms of requirements to enter. Ironic given our vaccination levels are still higher (even if by less now) than the large majority of EU.
latest report
Need to start vaccinating 12+ if expecting to be allowed into Europe.
snow conditions
Aprez? Buy bottle, insert straw, press straw through mask and suck.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On another note - Have anybody else noticed a heavy increase in prices, for hotel/apartment when pre-booked for week 2 and 3 2022 in Austria right now? Looked at Saalbach -> heavy pricing right now, and those weeks should be low season. I might just wait it out, and see what is available a week or two before.
snow report
Not sure where to post this but may stop this season’s holiday for some if not known as reported by the Telegraph

“Your vaccine certificate might expire (one to watch)

Though it is unlikely to affect holidaymakers until further down the line, it is worth noting that Austria has put an expiry date on arriving travellers’ vaccine certificates amid fears of waning immunity from the jabs. The country won’t accept certificates from UK travellers who received their second doses more than 270 days (approximately nine months) earlier. Those who were double jabbed by the end of April, for example, would have a valid pass until the end of January. Croatia has also implemented this rule and with the roll out of booster jabs expected this autumn it's not unthinkable that countries could change their interpretation of ‘fully vaccinated’.”
latest report
DanishRider wrote:
On another note - Have anybody else noticed a heavy increase in prices, for hotel/apartment when pre-booked for week 2 and 3 2022 in Austria right now? Looked at Saalbach -> heavy pricing right now, and those weeks should be low season. I might just wait it out, and see what is available a week or two before.

I need a nightover in Innsbruck & most hotels are up 40% compared to other years (nothing to do with brexit since they are priced in Euros). Marriott AC for example is up from €95 to €150

I said elsewhere about lift pass prices increasing more than normal as well.
ski holidays
Mr.Egg wrote:
DanishRider wrote:

I need a nightover in Innsbruck & most hotels are up 40% compared to other years (nothing to do with brexit since they are priced in Euros). Marriott AC for example is up from €95 to €150

I wonder how sustainable this will be - I know plenty who would love go skiing, but prices for a whole family was already stretched to the maximum for a family of 4 or 5, so I do fear this will be a giant mistake, that keeps families away from pre-booking, or just stay away. I am not in a hurry to book.
ski holidays
DanishRider wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
DanishRider wrote:

I wonder how sustainable this will be - I know plenty who would love to go skiing, but prices for a whole family was already stretched to the maximum for a family of 4 or 5, so I do fear this will be a giant mistake, that keeps families away from pre-booking, or just stay away. I am not in a hurry to book.
ski holidays
Mr.Egg wrote:
DanishRider wrote:

I wonder how sustainable this will be - I know plenty who would love go skiing, but prices for a whole family was already stretched to the maximum for a family of 4 or 5, so I do fear this will be a giant mistake, that keeps families away from pre-booking, or just stay away. I am not in a hurry to book.
latest report
Quote:

I mean, they can't lose by demanding higher prices ahead of time and lowering them last minute. I think they're betting on the fact that a lot of people have been staying at home, not traveling (I know plenty of people that were reluctant to travel this summer even) and suddenly have the money for this winter travel. I think this will hurt the regular goer. Places like Solden and Lech are already fully booked (or close to that) and it's only August. So I'd say it's going their way so far...
snow report
I think it's far too early to tell what the prices are going to be when the season starts, way too much uncertainty.
We're hoping for at least two trips. First a cheap self catering self drive, probably Flaine or La Plagne. Apartment rentals at the moment look a fair bit cheaper than 2019.
Also been looking at Crystal's prices for packages to Madonna. Bit of a confusopoly with ever changing discounts, bogof lift pass offers and equipment discounts, but overall no more expensive than 3 years ago.

Not quite ready to risk booking just yet......
latest report
Mr.Egg wrote:

What sort of increases have you seen? I haven't really looked yet so just wondering...
ski holidays
I think pubs round here have put beer prices up a notch. I suspect people aren't bothered because they haven't been out for so long and are just happy to be alive. There's pent up demand from anyway who is still financially OK after the pandemic. But I think we'll be hit long term so would imagine things reach an equilibrium then.
latest report
My local hand carwash has gone from £6 to a tenner. Bl00dy scandalous Toofy Grin
latest report
Pringles tubes have fewer Pringles in them nowadays, but that trend started before Covid.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy