Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is the 2021/2022 in doubt ?

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Still trying to understand the requirements

@davidof, so we're off to Monaco tomorrow, where much like France we no longer need stupid masks outside, other than "near markets, in usual opening hours, on alternate odd Thursdays, when cats play, and perhaps if dogs poo is full, or perhaps partial sunshine after midnight"

I am no wiser
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@under a new name, we were trying to work out if you need a mask for an ice cream stand (effectively outside) from 1st July when the rules change again. Outside = no mask. Gastronomy = no mask (because tested/recovered/vaccinated). Takeaway = no testing/recovery/vaccination requirement. Therefore, mask? Puzzled

At least most of the horrible, sweaty FFP2s can go in the bin in 2 weeks time. I suspect everyone will quickly “forget” when buying ice cream.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

Still trying to understand the requirements

@davidof, so we're off to Monaco tomorrow, where much like France we no longer need stupid masks outside, other than "near markets, in usual opening hours, on alternate odd Thursdays, when cats play, and perhaps if dogs poo is full, or perhaps partial sunshine after midnight"

I am no wiser

I went to vote this afternoon and had thought masks were over outside but no - not in our town and got ticked off. There is a local bye law I didn't know about.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Allowing people travel to the EU from Countries with Highly infectious Mutant Variants ........ what could possibly go wrong Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stanton wrote:
Allowing people travel to the EU from Countries with Highly infectious Mutant Variants ........ what could possibly go wrong Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

They could be stuck in a queue with you?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well regardless of the science or otherwise politics dressed up with science will be the main driver - This from a daily Risk Update that a leading High Street Bank puts out:

"Boris Johnson has stated that the Covid data is looking good for lifting restriction on the 19th of July, however he has warned that it will be a difficult year for travel, casting doubts over foreign summer holidays. He suggested that international travel will not return to normal until next year, even though over 31m adults have had their second vaccine dose and over 43m have had their first. In Covid stats today, the 7-day average for new Covid cases climbed to its highest level since the 25th February, with 10,633 new infections. Nevertheless, the trend for new hospitalisations, although rising, is doing so at a slower pace than in earlier waves and, across the UK at large, the number of people in hospital with Covid remains at relatively low levels (1,316 compared to a peak of almost 40,000). "

Says to me regardless of whether we achieve herd immunity or not travel restrictions wont be lifted entirely by the end of Summer which does beg the question whether, with the Winter months approaching whether they would take the Conservative view and protect Christmas and keep the traffic light system in force.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Are you on an EU passport @davidof ?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof wrote:
I went to vote this afternoon and had thought masks were over outside but no - not in our town and got ticked off. There is a local bye law I didn't know about.

I always wonder why they called them "bye-laws", suppose it is just a more friendly way of saying Fk'off.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Merkel is Right

This is NOT a Brexit issue .. This is a Delta virus containment issue.

If Brits are let into Spain Greece etc

It will mean EU Citizens will be warned not to Visit those Countries or face Quarantine on return

Therefore Greece ,Spain etc will have a Choice of Quarantining Brits or Losing ALL of its EU visitors

http://youtube.com/v/TJtv0kzB3zg
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are probably some international optics at play here, but are UK govt actually doing anything to reduce/contain Delta variant cases, apart from encouraging vaccine uptake? It may not be a big issue locally if hospitals are coping, but until the UK loses its designation as a variant area, travel is going to remain difficult and if the opportunity to travel this summer is lost, there is a real possibility that it may not become possible again until next summer.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stanton wrote:
Merkel is Right

It will mean EU Citizens will be warned not to Visit those Countries or face Quarantine on return

Therefore Greece ,Spain etc will have a Choice of Quarantining Brits or Losing ALL of its EU visitors

Spain & Greece are reliant on tourism & I doubt the EU are going to make up the shortfall.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Scarlet, it could be that from a government view, foreign governments imposing travel restrictions neatly assists U.K. public health without much political side effect.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
UK numbers don't look great. But do we know the full testing details and regimes in various countries.
Are UK tests only those tests of people with symptoms?? In which case it is bad as it would imply that asymtomatic cases are lying undiscovered.
Or is there a small/significant/majority proportion of positives being picked up by routine LFTs from asymptomatic cases and then confirmed by PCR??
It would appear that UK is routinely testing in large numbers, Daily Telegraph reported 10 times as many tests as Germany, so probably will find more cases.
And UK seems to do more genome analysis.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wouldn't believe any stats in the papers.
In Germany a couple of weeks ago if you wanted or needed to go in to a shop, or have a mop crop, or sit outside on a bar/cafe terrace you needed a test no older than 24 hours. Since the numbers have dropped to a low, a test is no longer needed. There are still queues outside of the pop up test centers (shed loads - there are at least 5 within a few minutes walk of my house), although obviously the queues are not as long now.
There are still people quoting the January sequencing stats in the papers, mainly cos it was a story then, but isn't now, and nothing newer appears in google searches. Sure it might not be as high as UK, but January news is not valid news in June.

10x as many? If that's the case then all the pop-up walk-in test centres results are not counted unless positive. Or they cherry picked the data for the week after the requirement was relaxed.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just dug in OWID. Which seems to confirm The Daily Telegraph report that UK is testing 10x D numbers in last week or so.

UK 14906/million daily tests, 164/million cases.
D 1207/million daily tests, 11/million cases.

ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-testing
latest report
colinstone wrote:
Just dug in OWID. Which seems to confirm The Daily Telegraph report that UK is testing 10x D numbers in last week or so.

Exactly. The more you dig, the more you find.
snow conditions
iainm wrote:
Are you on an EU passport @davidof ?

Yes
ski holidays
Mr.Egg wrote:
stanton wrote:
Merkel is Right

Spain & Greece are reliant on tourism & I doubt the EU are going to make up the shortfall.

I doubt it too. From what I read the Germans are staying home in large numbers. Have a friend living in the Italian Lakes and the place is basically empty.

Merkel won't keep Delta/Delta+ out for long and you'd be a fool for thinking it isn't already at large in the EU as people from India didn't just transit through hubs to the UK. And who knows what other variants are out there resistant to vaccines, especially if countries like Spain, Greece, Portugal put tourism first, and I think it'll all come at a bad time for next ski season. As people move from outdoors to indoors and viruses spread more easily, we'll be back into local lockdowns and yet more travel restrictions. Just look at the Netherlands v Czech Rep in Budapest yesterday - looked like a super-spreader event to me if ever I saw one.

It's not a Brexit issue but Merkel has painted us as unclean pariahs and that alone has me wanting to spend my dosh here (which is probably a good thing) and she needs to act more like a problem solver than a finger pointer.
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
it could be that from a government view, foreign governments imposing travel restrictions neatly assists U.K. public health without much political side effect.

That may well be true, or at least convenient, but it does not answer my question as to whether anything is being done beyond vaccination. Should I infer from the silence that the answer is no?
snow conditions
Pruman wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
stanton wrote:
Merkel is Right

I doubt it too. From what I read the Germans are staying home in large numbers. Have a friend living in the Italian Lakes and the place is basically empty.

Merkel won't keep Delta/Delta+ out for long and you'd be a fool for thinking it isn't already at large in the EU as people from India didn't just transit through hubs to the UK. And who knows what other variants are out there resistant to vaccines, especially if countries like Spain, Greece, Portugal put tourism first, and I think it'll all come at a bad time for next ski season. As people move from outdoors to indoors and viruses spread more easily, we'll be back into local lockdowns and yet more travel restrictions. Just look at the Netherlands v Czech Rep in Budapest yesterday - looked like a super-spreader event to me if ever I saw one.

It's not a Brexit issue but Merkel has painted us as unclean pariahs and that alone has me wanting to spend my dosh here (which is probably a good thing) and she needs to act more like a problem solver than a finger pointer.

unfortunately i have to agree with you.
Portugal is at present a Delta Variante Risiko Area for Germany...meaning tha returning from there you have to stay 14 Days in Quarantäne...and 100% many other countries will follow...of course i am talking from the German side of the world...but i dont see the things really good right now...as regards as the next ski saison....
ski holidays
More people died in the Miami building collapse than have in Wales since 23 May

It's a joke
snow report
[quote="Pruman"]
Mr.Egg wrote:
stanton wrote:
Merkel is Right

I'm in the lakes at the moment.

Bit of a pita getting paperwork together to travel.
snow conditions
It is the two facedness of it all I cannot cope with.

Politicians, UEFA football luvvies can do as they want. It appears Mutti might be coming to the UK on Friday to see BoJo. Fine - but if the UK is so dangerous, is she going to be quarantining for x days on return?
snow report
@countryman, I was thinking this this morning. Surely she will cancel her visit on account of her position? nonsensical otherwise
snow conditions
Skimum1 wrote:
@countryman, I was thinking this this morning. Surely she will cancel her visit on account of her position? nonsensical otherwise

Praps she wants a good excuse to have to resign? Very Happy
snow report
Austria’s ban on British arrivals extended until September
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
Austria’s ban on British arrivals extended until September

There's nothing in the regular press about this. Does anyone have a link to an official govt page that says this?
ski holidays
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/austria/entry-requirements#entry-rules-in-response-to-coronavirus-covid-19
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
Persons entering from “low-risk” countries should be able to prove they have only stayed there within the last ten days and show proof of vaccination, recovery or a negative test from Covid-19.

How do you prove that when traveling within Europe? I‘ve only been in Switzerland for the last 10 days (in fact much longer) but how would I prove I‘ve not been in France, Italy, Germany? (Hypothetical question, I‘ve no current plans to travel to Austria).
ski holidays
@Mankei, As far as I can see, that only states that UK travellers can't easily get in at the moment, it doesn't mention anything about the ban being extended until September.

I query it because, as well as not seeing any other announcements about this supposed extension, Austrian corona laws tend to only be valid for 3 or 4 weeks at a time and then they have to be renewed. A 2 month ban would be outside the current NOP, which makes me suspect it is bollux. That's not to say there won't be a ban on UK travellers until September, just that it's too early to say.
snow report
Gämsbock wrote:
How do you prove that when traveling within Europe? I‘ve only been in Switzerland for the last 10 days (in fact much longer) but how would I prove I‘ve not been in France, Italy, Germany? (Hypothetical question, I‘ve no current plans to travel to Austria).

I believe that you point to the Swiss plate on your car, and they wave you through wink
snow conditions
@Scarlet, in practice driving across the border I guess would be as easy as that, same as the local FR/DE borders here. Not so sure about flights, even within Schengen - C got a hard time transiting Schiphol en route from CH to UK last night along those lines. They let him through in the end but didn‘t seem prepared to just accept he‘d only been in CH. Was wondering what they actually expect or whether it‘s just an excuse to give random or suspicious passengers a hard time.
latest report
This is why I think that the simple Vaccination Certificate requirement will trump the expensive, convoluted and sometimes unenforceable arrangements and regulations around tests. So we'll get to a situation where immigration officers will only allow entry with a vaccination certificate, plus demand quarantine for some nationalities. Two very simple rules that are easy to enforce. It looks like this is the strategy of the UK and EU if today's article 'UK and Brussels near deal on Covid passport' is anything to go by.

The complication may come over those who can't be vaccinated for legitimate reasons. And for children/teenagers, while uncertainty remains over the risks of vaccination. The hope will be that the various tests will remain as an alternative. My feeling is that testing will have to persist as a satisfactory alternative to full vaccination because too many people of all ages and profiles will need to travel for business and to see relatives etc. let alone holidays.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 29-06-21 19:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Brits should just forget about Travel into the EU this summer and beyond...

IF Brits (legally resident) are already living with the EU travel is not a problem for them..

From July 1st the EU Vaccination Certificate will be online... EU Citizens can access their individual Government Digital Portals and
obtain the certificate (Providing you have been FULLY approved vaccinated)...

There maybe a situation that the AZN vaccine maybe delisted as an approved vaccine ...because it is not as effective as the Pfizer or Moderna Vaccines with the Delta variant.

The Netherlands is providing FREE PCR Testing for all Holidaymakers for July & August

Two tests are possible, a PCR test or anti-genic test. Which person needs depends on the country you are going to and the means of transport you are travelling with.

https://www.rtlnieuws.nl/nieuws/politiek/artikel/5238358/vanaf-30-juni-afspraak-maken-voor-gratis-testen-voor-vakantie

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hopes fade for US-UK travel corridor before end of summer

https://archive.ph/A94u1

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

We have the Autumn to get through.....

The 2021/2022 Ski Season in the EU for Third Countries Citizens is very much NOT a Given Shocked
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:

Not in cash, no. But when the English spread Delta, Germans won't come. You do the maths.
ski holidays
telford_mike wrote:
colinstone wrote:

Exactly. The more you dig, the more you find.

No. That's kind of a statistical artefact. Germany counts only proper PCR tests, while the UK includes POC rapid antigen tests. Like many other developed countries Germany has implemented a widespread antigen test regime in schools, at the workplace and so called public test centers (free of charge). These tests just don't make it into the German statistic.

Btw, did you know that there is scientific evidence, that people who consume bs-news are significantly worse informed than the ones who don't consume any news at all? wink
snow conditions
Quote:
From July 1st the EU Vaccination Certificate will be online... EU Citizens can access their individual Government Digital Portals and

Just to confirm that “fully vaccinated” is not a universally defined term and means different things in different countries.

Quote:
There maybe a situation that the AZN vaccine maybe delisted as an approved vaccine ...because it is not as effective as the Pfizer or Moderna Vaccines with the Delta variant.

This is very unlikely to happen, as AZ has been widely used throughout most of Europe and accounts for circa 50% of vaccinations.
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
Quote:

Just to confirm that “fully vaccinated” is [b]not a universally defined term and means different things in different countries. [/b]

Quote:

This is very unlikely to happen, as AZ has been widely used throughout most of Europe and accounts for circa 50% of vaccinations.

That's a good point to raise. We have seen Malta indicating that 2 jabs are required to enter without quarantine, which is fine for most adults, but not for kids as the majority have not been vaccinated. Per Malta's rules, kids 12 and over need to have 2 jabs to be allowed entry without a 14 day quarantine period. Kids between 11 and 5 need a PCR test to clear them for entry. I wouldn't be surprised that these are some of the quirks in the restrictions that we see this winter in countries like France/Austria/Italy
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
There's nothing in the regular press about this. Does anyone have a link to an official govt page that says this?

Please post if you find anything! I've already postponed an Austrian trip from July to August. I must say, it seems a bit odd to make a rule to last until September when it's not even July yet. I've had Covid and 2 jabs so I reckon I'm at peak immunity and ready to rumble. It can only go downhill from here rolling eyes .
snow report
Pruman wrote:

Merkel won't keep Delta/Delta+ out for long (...)

It's not a Brexit issue but Merkel has painted us as unclean pariahs...

No, she probably won't. But guess what, she knows it. But every single day she manages to push back on Delta, 800,000 more Germans will be vaccinated.

I don't know about pariahs. But this is actually a Brexit issue. BoJo didn't shut the door on India, against scientific advice, because he didn't want to disturb free trade negotiations.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy