Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Long term car rental Vancouver

Poster: A snowHead
I'm in the lucky position of (covid permitting) spending 10-12 weeks in the Vancouver area later this year. Does anyone know any reasonable long term car rental options?

Am toying with the idea of signing up for Modo (a bit like Zipcar) but the nearest one to where I'll be staying is a good 10-15min walk and that probably won't be ideal if, for example, we head up to Whistler for a few days
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No. But you don't really need a car in the downtown area as public transport is pretty good. You can get to the local hills easy enough that way; I still do that now and then. Cars can be parked for free in both places but you need to know where. Hotels will charge upwards of $20 a day for parking, and much of Vancouver isn't a great place to leave valuables in cars in public car parks. You need to work out where the free car parks in Whistler are, and be slightly careful about parking illegally in the village unless you know your way around.

I think there are "rent a wreck" type places in Vancouver, but you'd need to google them down. You need M&S tyres to legally drive the road to Whistler. All mainstream hire cars come with those as standard but you'd probably need to check less fancy rentals.

You don't need a car in Whistler. Even if you're living out in Emerald or somewhere there are regular buses which run from early morning until late. You can do day trips from Vancouver to Whistler by bus, with the bus stopping at multiple down town locations. You'd likely not want to do that precisely, but my point is that it's fairly easy to get up to Whistler on the bus too.

Alternatively I'll rent you a helicopter, but they're not so good in poor weather.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've always just searched Holiday Autos and Auto Europe periodically especially when they email me a coupon code, book then cancel when you get a better deal - you can usually end up not far north of £100 per week for a Focus sized car in the end. Rental cos probably make you swap cars after 56 days or something but otherwise ok.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@philwig, thanks - I'm staying most of the time with the in-laws quite close to UBC so a little away from the centre. They are always reticent to let us borrow one of their cars. I seem to be tarred with the same brush as my wife, who has never been forgiven for wrapping her dad's vintage Beemer around a tree in a neighbour's front garden many years ago Laughing

sounds like a mix of Modo, public transport and begging from in-laws will be the best option even if it requires a bit more organisation than just having a car waiting on the drive

quite fancy some heli-assisted touring if I get the chance so may take you up on the heli...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Agree with Philwig that you might not need a car. Public transport in Vancouver is decent and there are regular competitively priced shuttle options to Whistler (having a car at Whistler can actually be a pain you are likely to be paying to park it). Obviously covid is an issue - but I don't see them opening the borders again till it is well under control so if you are there the public transport is likely running as normal (and vice versa).

If you do decide you want to go somewhere where having a car is necessary easy to just rent one for a couple of days.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
From what I recall UBC is a ways out on the left coast. Worth a trip to the first nations museum which is there, interesting architecture & stuff.

Altus in Squamish organise some heli touring I think: https://altusmountainguides.com/
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I suspect @Arno is in the convenience dilemma. While West point is a lovely place it can be a fair walk between the useful places you want to be and a car for general day to day running around can be extremely useful e.g. shopping, visiting friends/family, popping over to North Shore etc. Plus of course the prospect of popping down to Baker on a powder day and tripping out to interior BC.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dave of the Marmottes, tsk - as any rule kno, West Van is er north of downtown, North Van is north east of downtown. I'll be in Kerrisdale/Dunbar to be precise. Good idea on Baker though if the border is open

@philwig, good tip on the museum. I've been with Altus a couple of times so they'll be first port of call
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Arno,

ok, I'll give my normal opposite opinion wink - though I do have a perspective from actually living here... Smile
Yes you do need a car if you are out near UBC (I'm doing a PhD and pre COVID was commuting to UBC on the bus from the North Shore and it takes forever!). Transit is ok, but still unless you are going downtown, you'll be a lot quicker by car. If UBC is back and in session (which it will be I presume if you can get in the country), it can also be very busy.
When we first moved here we had a rental car for a couple of months while we figured out which car to buy, we were able to do a pretty good deal with the rental car company - just don't rent from the airport as that automatically makes it way more expensive with additional taxes and fees. That was pre car co-op days though, so maybe that is a better option now?
philwig is right that downtown Vancouver is a bit of a pain and expensive to park, so Uber/taxi/transit is the way forward there.

I hope your trip is _much_ later this year, as Canada is not going at anything like the speed of UK vaccinating Sad

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 19-01-21 20:42; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mad as it may seem, bike may be another option for around town - in fact taking into account the crazy bridge traffic, I reckon my commute to UBC from Deep Cove would be quicker by bike!
Lots of bike routes round Kerrisdale way as city of Vancouver are very keen on bike paths Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, tsk - as any rule kno, West Van is er north of downtown, North Van is north east of downtown. I'll be in Kerrisdale/Dunbar to be precise. Good idea on Baker though if the border is open

@philwig, good tip on the museum. I've been with Altus a couple of times so they'll be first port of call

Knew it was West something out there hence my sneaky edit wink Baker defo worth it over trying to get up to Whistler on a sleeper pow day
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@stuarth, bike is an interesting idea. Might need to get some sort of wheelbarrow style cargo bike to ferry around my wife and kid. Mrs Arno will love it Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I suspect @Arno is in the convenience dilemma. While West point Grey is a lovely place it can be a fair walk between the useful places you want to be and a car for general day to day running around can be extremely useful e.g. shopping, visiting friends/family, popping over to North Shore etc. Plus of course the prospect of popping down to Baker on a powder day and tripping out to interior BC.

FIFY Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I suspect @Arno is in the convenience dilemma. While West point Grey is a lovely place it can be a fair walk between the useful places you want to be and a car for general day to day running around can be extremely useful e.g. shopping, visiting friends/family, popping over to North Shore etc. Plus of course the prospect of popping down to Baker on a powder day and tripping out to interior BC.

FIFY Laughing

In Point Grey it can be a fair walk between neighboring houses! wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arno wrote:
@stuarth, bike is an interesting idea. Might need to get some sort of wheelbarrow style cargo bike to ferry around my wife and kid. Mrs Arno will love it Laughing

Laughing
latest report
Should add that the driving standard leaves a bit to be desired.
It seems the punishment for mowing someone down whilst driving twice the speed limit in a raised truck with rack on the front or other assorted ramming device, whilst texting with one hand and smoking a fat one in the other is probably a gentle telling off, so chance of cycling death is high! Shocked
ski holidays
@Arno, im doing something similar and have booked with enterprise , who do good long term deals , worked out cheaper than any of the car share schemes etc for a small suv with winter tyres , use them 3-4 times per year and find them consistently better value than other , also good loyalty scheme

https://turo.com/ca/en/search?country=CA&defaultZoomLevel=11&delivery=false&endDate=01%2F24%2F2021&endTime=10%3A00&international=true&isMapSearch=false&itemsPerPage=200&latitude=49.2827291&location=vancouver&locationType=City&longitude=-123.12073750000002&maximumDistanceInMiles=50&region=BC&sortType=RELEVANCE&startDate=01%2F21%2F2021&startTime=10%3A00&utm_campaign=gs%3Are%3Alt%3Abroad%3Aw%3Agen%3Aint-ca%3Aen&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google is another idea

also give me a pm if you want some beta heli tours in squamish , my son does some work for guiding for ross at altus and they're very good , did the tantalus last year was amazing
latest report
@Dabber, thanks, will investigate. I've skied with Ross a few times but always in December so Tantalus never really realistic. Would love to get up there one day though
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy