Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz - First week Jan 2022

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're just in the process of moving our planned March trip. The plan is a few days in Annecy for NY followed by a weeks skiing (sun 2nd - 9th).

Firstly, as far as I can see - French schools are due to go back on the Monday 3rd. Even allowing for a teacher inset day or two, I m assuming the slopes should be quietish Shocked (at least midweek onwards)?

Secondly, we had found a nice apartment on Avoriaz we are planning to stick with - Ski in/out, indoor pool etc. Am I correct in thinking Avoriaz is pretty snow sure come first week of Jan? (I appreciate there are higher resorts)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very few places are properly 'snowsure' but was in Avoriaz for NY a couple years back. Some of the lower slopes were a little bare and some of the top slopes a bit windswept.

This may give an idea

http://youtube.com/v/wQmxHWyw-4o&ab_channel=SnoodyMcFlude
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Trw144, Normally it's good for snow, but most locals (and the Gendarmes) in Avoriaz have a pejorative term for the second week on January as in previous years this has been the week of choice for many large families from the French traveller community to visit Avoriaz.
In our resto we had loads of stuff stolen, including pepper-mills, steak knives, glasses, toiletries, and a picture from the wall - oh and 2 families had a fight Sad
But if you like a bit of "atmosphere" you can witness some pretty good freestyle-shoplifting, and bare knuckle fighting in the evenings.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@WindOfChange, isn’t @Trw144, really talking about the first week in January?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@WindOfChange, don’t they go to Les Gets now?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Not overly keen on watching a week of bare knuckle fights with my 7 and 9 year old! When you say 2nd week of January, I assume that is the week after though?

I seem to be de ja vu to several months ago when I was looking for this seasons accommodation. The other possibility was Tignes, or Flaine (but the accommodation was a little out of the centre in both cases).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was in Morzine and the PdS area a couple of years back at the time the travellers were also there (only knew because I bumped in to a snowhead on a lift and he told me), and I didn't notice anything dodgy going on. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it's not all bad news on that front.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Trw144, In the past it was the week after New Years.
As Saturday falls on NYD next year then, yes, you're probably right, it would be the following week.
As anyone who has investments will know, previous performance gives no indication of future performance, so it might be that it will all be very different next year.
Certainly last week I didn't notice any shenanigans going on so it's probably a thing of the past.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The first week in Jan is generally a quiet one on the slopes - people limited to school holidays tend to do with Christmas of New Years weeks so have come and gone, and those with calendar freedom generally wait till late in Jan/early Feb as it gives more time for more snow to fall (and before the Feb half term window opens).

Avoriaz is about a snow safe as it gets in France - if the season's so bad there's no skiing in Avoriaz chances are there won't be any anywhere else either. I was there in the last "poor start" season ('17 or '18?) when the slopes in Morzine/Les Gets were still green and more likely to have cows than skiers on them - but even then there were a dozen of runs open up in Avoriaz (with a massively reduced lift pass price), which meant you could still have fun/a long lunch/end the day sat in the sun outside the chalet in shorts and a t-shirt. That said you should expect more or less the whole Portes du Soleil area to be open the first week in Jan. (and I think the snow came in that first week of Jan).

I also wouldn't be worried about the travellers. Maybe take out the insurance on hire skis/keep a closer eye on your own skis when you stop, but other than that they will generally be in big, extended family groups and not interested in you/your family. From there if you see a load of them at the bottom of one chair, ski to another and do much the same if you see a restaurant full of them. I'd also guess the bare knuckle fights are more of a later evening activity than when you'll be out and about with a younger family.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Nadenoodlee, well they did visit Les Gets as we were burgled and the local intelligence pointed in that direction. Must have been over ten years ago now as I have since replaced the passport that I had to get that time round.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy