Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

It ain't much but......

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
If it helps, I've found that "bend your knees more" fixes pretty much all of the reasons I catch either front or back edges.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tangowaggon wrote:
Dilemma

Carry on boarding with almost 100% chance of further injury.

Or

Get the skis out but get bored quickly just lapping the one short piste.

I think learning to board is a good thing as it probably helps you to understand what boarders can and cannot see so you give them enough room. I've never tried snowboarding and probably never will after reading this thread wink but my daughters both ski and board.

Think it works both ways though. Once took a learner group on a ski tour and one guy was on his new split board ( I didn't know it was his first split board tour though). We got to a part in the ski tour where we had to descend 50m or so with the skins on the skis before continuing our ascent. The split boarding guy froze at the top. I shouted up saying "what's wrong" he replied "I can't ski".

Each to his own but in your position I'd be inclined to try as many skiing drills as possible and work on the ones I couldn't do.

Plenty of drills in this thread ....
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=154185
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

Da lift is open! Very Happy 5 minutes skiing for 30 min in the lift queue Puzzled
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
So was it snowboard or skis today @tangowaggon?

Tip-o-the hat for taking the plunge into our world. I've been riding for 20 years or so now and never have once gotten around to switching to the tupperware boots, although I've made plenty of noises about trying it. Closest I've come is an hours sno-biking where you got a set of blades to wear, so well done and I hope you're persevering.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tangowaggon wrote:
Ok, that was a dumb idea, after three 3hr sessions of just walking up & snowboarding down
11yr old has sprained, possibly broken wrist after a simple fall backwards
I caught a front edge & fell flat on my front but somehow my fist was between my ribs & the snow so now nursing very sore ribs.
15yr old has seen the carnage (light) & wants to stick to skis.
Although it was a good feeling, being able to make turns & progress in a new skill, the type of fall when snowboarding is just too painful, lose a back edge and you slam into the snow on your back, catch a front edge and your face & chest slam into the snow, lose a front edge and your wrists take the hit.
Just waiting for the ibuprofen to kick in. Laughing

I learnt this years ago by watching people learning to snowboard, no desire to learn, but admire your initial philosophy as it was the perfect scenario to give it a try, rather than getting bored on tiny pistes.

I can also see DB's point of view as clearly an experience off piste skier, but I caution anyone venturing off piste at the moment, unless they know the area and exactly what they are doing. Better to be slightly bored than buried in an avalanche.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
tangowaggon wrote:

Da lift is open! Very Happy 5 minutes skiing for 30 min in the lift queue Puzzled

cabin fever. It will calm down in a couple of days
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Richard_Sideways,
Nah, not wasting a £6/day lift ticket on wrecking myself again
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tangowaggon wrote:
Ok, that was a dumb idea, after three 3hr sessions of just walking up & snowboarding down
11yr old has sprained, possibly broken wrist after a simple fall backwards
I caught a front edge & fell flat on my front but somehow my fist was between my ribs & the snow so now nursing very sore ribs.
15yr old has seen the carnage (light) & wants to stick to skis.
Although it was a good feeling, being able to make turns & progress in a new skill, the type of fall when snowboarding is just too painful, lose a back edge and you slam into the snow on your back, catch a front edge and your face & chest slam into the snow, lose a front edge and your wrists take the hit.
Just waiting for the ibuprofen to kick in. Laughing

i start with 30 the snowboarding and except a bruised arXXh in Stubai i have never had any other injuries...BUT : i used from the first days impact shorts, wrist guards and knee impact pads...i know it sound a little bit stupid but snowboarding is something like skateboarding...your knees are not in dangerous as with skiing, but your wrist and your ArXXX...phhhuiiii
now at 46 i have also a back protector....too old for back injuries

However i have to admit that the first 5-6 days of attempting to snowboard = the Hell....

I had also broken ribs but that was from freestyle sessions and i dont count it with the normal injuries....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
tangowaggon wrote:
My problem is that I am a "run before walking" personality ie, I tend to go for it before building the necessary skill level, a friend said he would master the blue runs before tackling a red run, my approach was to learn on the reds and I would be skiing the blues like a pro in no time.

You need a convo with rob@rar, pretty sure he'll point out how bad habits created in 'survival skiing' become imprinted Laughing snowHead

As a caveat, I am also the type to manage a couple of clean slides down a gentle slope and immediately decide to head for something more challenging.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In about 1986 I went on a school ski trip where they give you one day on the alternative plank(s) of your choice. As I'd just done a weekend in Newquay and nearly managed to stand on the board, I tried snowboarding. No lessons, just try and fail. More failing that trying - on ice, too. Sod that, I thought.

3 years later went on a trip with Uni friends. Same option arose. They all went for snowboarding, I went for mono ski to try to encourage my legs to stay together and lean forward a bit. Most of them had given up by mid-morning coffee, one actively throwing his board down the hill in disgust. I was loving it, overcome my "lean forward" fears and realising how well and in control I now was. Blew them away on the last day race top to bottom (yeah, I know, we were 19...)

Years passed and in a chalet a group were boarding. "But isn't it difficult?" we asked. "On day 1, yes" they replied "but just dedicate the whole week to it, get some lessons, you'll learn fast and it's awesome". So next trip, I did that. It was awesome.

Like many things, approach it the right way, it's great.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That was a good morning for the HRK50 (£6) lift pass, I got bored/tired by 1pm & headed for home. The dilemma is that, due to covid, they are limiting lift ticket sales to 1000 per day so its best to get there early and if you are there first thing, you can get a couple of high speed carving blasts on quiet, flat piste but then it gets boring untill late in the day when some small moguls build up to play with.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

The 1400m "blue " run is growing some nice bumps to play with
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy