Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

If .....

Poster: A snowHead
….. the corona situation improved very quickly by say the middle of March and the corona restrictions were lifted, where would it be possible to get in a cheeky ski holiday during April?

Easter is early this year and most ski resorts would have closed after Easter (last day most likely Sunday 11 April).

To get it to work the lifts would need to be running, then flights would be required (not needed if travelling by car) and of course accommodation.
Not sure if certain winter flight paths have already been cancelled for the season - anyone know?

My first thought was Kaprun (Salzburg Airport).
St Anton may work if they haven't decided to shut already for the season (Innsbruck Airport).

Any where else in Austria, Switzerland or France etc?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If things do open up a little at the end of the season I wonder if some resorts will extend their opening in to May? The higher resorts often close when there's plenty of snow at altitude. Might be a way of salvaging a little from the season?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Italy have vaccinated the most out of the alpine regions, followed by neighbouring slovenia
Followed by spain.
Keep an eye on spain, as sierra neveda can have a long season

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 12-01-21 20:38; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar wrote:
If things do open up a little at the end of the season I wonder if some resorts will extend their opening in to May? The higher resorts often close when there's plenty of snow at altitude. Might be a way of salvaging a little from the season?

I think any extension to the skiing season (snow conditions permitting of course) would also depend on whether the staff themselves would still be available as they usually have other summer jobs lined up....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Add Sölden & Hintertux to the list.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think it will only work with places that would normally be open anyway (i.e. glacier resorts).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can't see things improving that much until the vaccine programmes have been implemented to those of skiing age and has had time to take effect (it takes 3 weeks...and then there's the second jab).....It's also advisable that the vaccine has been rolled out in the Country that you're going to (I think).

I simply can't seeing this happening in time.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 12-01-21 20:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mr.Egg wrote:
Italy have vaccinated the most out of the alpine regions, followed by neighbouring slovenia
Followed by spain.

Good calls.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I read somewhere that Saas Fee (or was it Saalbach?) would be possible end of April wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alastair Pink wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

I think any extension to the skiing season (snow conditions permitting of course) would also depend on whether the staff themselves would still be available as they usually have other summer jobs lined up....

Spain may not be a bad idea, lifts are running in many resorts, even if only for residents, and the Spanish tourism board is already talking about writing off Easter for early summer holidays. So said ' summer jobs' simply may not be there. Could be that is enough incentive for staff to stay longer? Also spain has just had the biggest snowfall seen since 1954, mainly focused on the Pyrenees, although Madrid was blanketed with the white stuff and the regional government wants to declare it a catastrophe Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Isn't 3 Valleys usually open till late April?

I suspect a lot of the restriction will be lifted by then.

But I wouldn't book anything! Strictly last minute. (let those who worry about "places selling out" deal with the worry of last minute cancellations Wink )
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DB wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
Followed by spain.

Good calls.

I am afraid Slovenia, much as I love the place, is unlikely to be viable unless there is a complete reversal of the snow conditions in 2020. It was struggling for snow in February, let alone March or April last year. Kanin, linked to Sella Nevea (?) in Italy might stand a chance.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Part of the problem in some places is the contracts the ski areas have with farmers re end of lift ops and when the land reverts to cattle etc and they can start restringing electric fences etc. That plus snowpack of course. Even in good years there is a reason that its places like Val T, Cervinia, Grands Montets still standing at end of April.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dave of the Marmottes,
Yes I can see them ramping up somewhere that already planned to be open but it‘s unlikely seasons would be extended at other resorts for various reasons.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 12-01-21 23:12; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
adithorp wrote:
I read somewhere that Saas Fee (or was it Saalbach?) would be possible end of April wink Toofy Grin

Not Saalbach - season ends there mid April at the latest. Having skied there in mid March one year would definitely not go back at that time - by lunch time a lot of the pistes were mass mogul fields and the snow more like sugar.

Val Thorens or Val D'Isere have long seasons or if you're wanting Austria - Kaprun, Zell am See or Hintertux perhaps.
snow conditions
@KathE, sorry it was a tongue in cheek reference to some dumb comments on another thread that @DB, had got drawn into.
ski holidays
Usually close here end of April. However there were discussions about 18 months ago about extending that and shortening the summer season. That year summer closed a month early at the end of July. Snow not too much of a problem, glacier up to 3600m.
ski holidays
Finland?
latest report
Probably was Saas Fee - they stay open until May, close for a bit to preserve the snow, then open for team training during the Summer.

There are two factors which govern the season end for the other resorts in the Valais - snow and pisteur contracts. If there’s no snow they tend to close early. If there’s snow (as for the last few years - excellent late conditions) they close at the time the pisteurs move to summer contracts with building companies, the highway agencies etc. Crans Montana is a different kettle of lobsters. It closes and opens according to the desires of the owner.
latest report
skitow wrote:
DB wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
Followed by spain.

Good calls.

I am afraid Slovenia, much as I love the place, is unlikely to be viable unless there is a complete reversal of the snow conditions in 2020. It was struggling for snow in February, let alone March or April last year. Kanin, linked to Sella Nevea (?) in Italy might stand a chance.

Agree most of Slovenia is too low.

What about Norway, doesn't the season go on a fair bit there ?
ski holidays
I'd imagine Ischgl would be open. Open through the end of April in a normal year.
snow conditions
Quote:

Not Saalbach - season ends there mid April at the latest. Having skied there in mid March one year would definitely not go back at that time - by lunch time a lot of the pistes were mass mogul fields and the snow more like sugar.

@KathE, Yes, I remember that year - bad luck! Conditions were better the following week.
snow conditions
abc wrote:
Isn't 3 Valleys usually open till late April?

I suspect a lot of the restriction will be lifted by then.

But I wouldn't book anything! Strictly last minute. (let those who worry about "places selling out" deal with the worry of last minute cancellations Wink )

I like that idea of "contracting out" the worry element. Cheered me up at least Very Happy
snow report
There's actually a whole new level of worry for the terminally anxious this year. What if the resort is open and by some miracle UK travellers allowed but the accomodations have done so little business they've shut up shop anyway? Laughing
ski holidays
Verbier is open until end April, Zermatt too. It’s a great time to ski. You need high north facing slopes and is often the best time for steep skiing. Hut to hut touring season runs April and May eg Haute Route, Mont Blanc. Lots of options if France, Switzerland, Italy etc will let you in
ski holidays
I think commercial issues will be different this year, so I'd not worry about that specifically. I'm still vaguely wondering about Iceland with a fall back of South America or New Zealand, but it depends on how things pan out in multiple countries, and I'm not getting on a plane until I've had me jabs.
snow conditions
Hermon in Israel at the end of March might be your best bet.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
There's actually a whole new level of worry for the terminally anxious this year. What if the resort is open and by some miracle UK travellers allowed but the accomodations have done so little business they've shut up shop anyway? Laughing

I would think higher on the "worry" scale would be airlines significantly cutting back on flights.

Best plan on driving. You can always sleep in the car. rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

I would think higher on the "worry" scale would be airlines significantly cutting back on flights.

Best plan on driving. You can always sleep in the car. rolling eyes

That was my Xmas/NY plan for the all the good it was. Still my new all season tyres have made me bullishly confident in our mild snowfall/heavy frost here.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy