Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sestriere or Val Gardena Jan 2022

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So having had this years trip, a diy job to Val Di Fassa, cancelled for the obvious reasons what do I do for next year. I’m going to be booking solo as the boy is in his GCSE year and school holiday pricing is bananas.

As an advanced intermediate I like long cruisey runs interspersed with the odd tough red or black. Scenery important but not crucial, long walks or buses to and from lifts a massive downside, Given brexit issues and prohibitive hire car costs plus uncertainty and lack of diy options flight wise due to reduced flights it looks like crystal is my only choice, which would you choose?

My options are Sestriere or Selva Gardena, Sestriere slightly cheaper, looking at early Jan. opinions on the pros and cons most welcome.

Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go on a bash
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Posted this in the wrong place apologies. Can someone move please.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As John has said -- a Bash would suit

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=49389

failing that...

Between the two, I would choose Selva ; It does cost more, but overall quality is much higher than the Milky Way area
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No experience of Sestriere, but my ski buds and I are dreaming of returning to Selva soon. The idea of travelling around the Sella Ronda & taking on La Longia run down to Ortesei (check out fairytale run on YouTube) finishing this with a Hugo with the sun on your face is giving us something to look forward to. Standing at the top of the Lagazuoi cable car to see the epic landscape - it’s like skiing in the Grand Canyon, will be another highlight.
Plenty of accommodation in Selva (best option) or Santa Cristina. See Crystal do decent revised accommodation near the slopes- bonus.
Ideal for your cruisey runs, and enough decent variety for a week. Great food and drink as renowned for this (eg Alta Badia ) with places like Jimmy’s Hut a highlight looking over the pink Dolomites. Bit of an Austrian influence here so decent Weiss beers to drink in the evening.
Took my first solo trip just before lockdown in Pyrenees, and enjoyed walking around town, skiing at my own pace, eating decent food.... will do it again sometime, and would have enjoyed this in Selva.
Good luck and if you choose Sleva, hope you get the Southerly storms that hit the Dolomites like this year - great pictures and snow depths on snoweye of Val Gardena at the moment - weird to see when nobody on the slopes.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Is Selva to Marmolada doable in a day? Looks like a full circuit of the Ronda plus another 20-30k on top with one or two slow chairlifts en route.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Raptor23, if you’re advanced intermediate, Selva - Marmolada in a day is comfortably doable. It would suit your profile of what you say you like to ski perfectly. As a comparison, our little advanced intermediate group skied Arabba-Santa Croce-Arabba-Marmolada-Arabba in one day. We didn’t hang around but stopped for usual drinks breaks and a proper sit down lunch.

Been a long time since I skied at Sestriere but I also think Selva is a better choice. Especially early in the season. Even if natural snowfall by then is not great, snowmaking is so good in Dolomiti ski area that it won’t affect you much.

@Marsbar6, paints a good picture. The Grand Canyon analogy is good, with a bit of Yosemite Valley painted browny red thrown in. So you would certainly appreciate the scenery.

We should have been in Arabba last week and that would have been my 5th trip to the area in the last 3 seasons. I regularly ski in Espace Killy and 3V with occasional Arlberg trips. Although very very different, I rank Dolomiti area alongside them for overall skiing trip experience.

I’m a bit surprised if Crystal is cheaper than doing independently but in uncertain times something to be said for ABTA/ATOL protection. Don’t Inghams offer options there too?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Raptor23, Sestriere is very nice but there isn't much tough stuff there. We just had a weekend there and skied pretty much all of Sestriere, Sauze and Sansicario. Although only March it was very slushy. I've skied Montgenevre separately on a couple of occasions.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well in a remarkable about face...she’s decided to give it a go and wants to take the little ones so a Crystal trip to Passo Tonale has been booked for March 2022 for ease of hotel-slope access. Can’t be turning the 4 year old off with any major walking to lifts. I’m delighted in one way as great to get the littlest ones into the ski bug.

*sighs that the Dolomites still evade me.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Raptor23, sounds good and, with little ones, a slopeside location definitely a big plus. A Crystal hotel quite likely to have other families with young children there, which most kids like.

I found Crystal almost 15% cheaper than going independently for one early booked package I’ve got next year.

The Dolomites will still be there waiting for you. snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy