Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Le Grand Bornand

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone have any experience of Le Grand Bornand during Feb half term? It was recommended to me by a friend who went there in first week of March last year. Are the lifts queues excessive or just like other French resorts at this time of year?

Would you recommend it for a family as we are thinking of heading there with another family in 2022. We are flying into Geneva and are a family of 5 with our children having one weeks ski experience at Fieberbrunn. My boys aged 9 and 8 are fine on blue runs, however my daughter will be 5 and is basically a first timer even though she has some experience on skis from last year. My wife and myself will be happy with the size of the area given that our skiing will be limited and revolve around the children ski school times.

My friend recommended a chalet which is between Chinaillion and Grand B which requires a few minutes drive or bus to the slopes. He drove and had no issue with parking near to the lifts, however I am concerned car parking could be an issue during half term. The bus stop is vey close to the chalet should this be an issue. I don’t mind the transfer hassle with kids as I think we can leave the skis at the ski lifts.

Another option is la thuile which we have been to without kids in half term and I know from experience that it is quiet with no queues and this will allow us to get a decent bit of skiing in when the kids are in ski school.

The key for us is a reasonable ski school experience for the children. We aren’t set on Le Grand B but any tips or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 10-01-21 22:02; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't know big Bernard, but I have a brother in law called Matt who’s not tiny. Any relation?

I think you mean le Grand Bornand ...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
He's a lovely fella. One of the great snowHeads
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Its a fair few years since we were there (Grand Bornand), but we went several times all during peak school holidays. The car parking at the lifts was 'difficult' to say the least.

When the kids were small we got round it by my husband dropping me and the kids plus all the kit and his ski boots off at the bottom of the lifts. We then waited, sometimes a long time, for him to go far enough, and drive round enough to find somewhere to park and walk back to us in comfy footwear which he stuffed in his backpack whilst we were on the slopes. At the end of the day he fetched the car again whilst we waited.

Once the 3 kids were old enough to reasonably manage in kit on the free navette we used that most of the time. It was very frequent and stopped at the camp site entrance.

I can`t comment on the ski school because we did not use it, the kids skied with us. But I would say it was (may be different now) a very french resort and English was not widely spoken or understood. This might pose a problem in ski school?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Frosty the Snowman, indeed he is, instigator of the grand Order of the Gnarl.

The man himself:-

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Not a rescue dog with an extra large brandy barrel on its collar then?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been to both and would say LGB would be better for you, three very wide and consistent green/blue ski areas on different parts of the mountain and all easy to get to and from for novices. I'd say bus up to Chinaillon where there are 3 chairlifts (I think, I only used the top pair) and avoid going down to town. Town is nice but there is quite a bit going on up at Chinaillon as well.
I was last there early March 2019 and the snow was great, not been at half term.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
LGB... What happened to the T?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nice traditional town.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can't comment on the ski school, but LGB is a great place for kids who like blues, reds and fun. There's an awesome ski park (slaloms, jumps, massive pillow to jump into etc) and sufficient variety for adults who don't need to compete for the most kilometres skied in a week.......We were based in La Clusaz last Feb half term and once you get away from the main lifts found LGB to be quieter and more varied than we expected. La Thuile is also a good option as it's twinned with La Rosiere, but I'd happily go back to LGB if it's the kids you want to prioritize.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof wrote:

There was only 3 of them?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Isn't that sort of humour illegal/frowned upon nowadays?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Did anyone else think of Turkeys when the read the title?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the info and feedback. Apologies for the spelling - autocorrect !!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@10196986, It's a very french resort so private lessons may be better unless your children are bilingual
snow report
Did a couple of half-terms there when the kids were little. Loved it both times. We stayed in LGB itself, walked to the lifts and never had any issues with the (two) lifts up from the village. The lifts queues were never excessive and any bus ride with kids is a pain. The ski down to LGB is a narrowish Red Run and can be busy at the end of the day but you can always ride down. The runs into Chinaillion are wide and not difficult. There are some "bigger" runs in La Clusaz which is on the Aravis lift pass and worth a day trip. You can go by Bus but if you've driven down I would recommend you drive over. I'd say the real benefit of LGB is the short transfer to and from GVA and that "The Sports Bar" in the town square does a mean Sauscisse. One top tip, book early for your night out when the Chalet staff are off.
latest report
Grand Bornand (or Grand Bo as its known locally) is a great resort for beginners and next-level skiers. Good choice of slopes - green and blue to progress on, and means you can soon travel around the resort and get all over the mountain on just green/blue pistes. In terms of crowds at half-term it will be busy of course, but never horendous on the pistes. With a bit of planning you can avoid any bottlenecks (start of ski schools at 10:00) and it sounds ideal for you.
Parking can be tricky in peak season but again you can plan around it... Good news that all slopeside parking is free, you just need to get there early to get a space! Otherwise the bus service is very good and regular, and so is a good option too. Particularly so if you can leave your skis at the hire shop etc.

Only thing to bear in mind is with a chalet inbetween Grand Bo village and Chinaillon is where you acess the skiing (and hance book lessons etc). From that location you could drop down to the main village and access slopes by the telecabine, but it would probably be better to drive up to Chinaillon and access skiing here - in which case you need lessons to start at Les Gettiers or Floria / Chatelet.
These can be booked through ESF or StarSki... and both have group lessons with English speaking instructors. StarSki more likely to get exclusive English groups, whereas ESF gets mixed Eng/ French. Experience always been good with ESF and friendly instructors...
snow report
We first went when our kids were small and in lessons with ESF - friendly instructors and never had an issue.

We've been back almost every year since - at least ten times. Fair to say we love it and so I'd definitely recommend it. Yes it's more "French" than some resorts but that's a plus from our perspective.
You can also drive round to La Clusaz if the snow is sketchy as they have bit more height.
Lunch of Quichiflette at the Chalet du Maroly on a sunny day defines happiness on a ski holiday for me. Terres Rouges is good too if the weather's good - amazing views.

From where you'd be based I'd agree with the suggestion of driving up to Chinaillon as a base. If you get there early you will find a parking spot and as a last resort you can drop the smalls off and hunt for one further along. The main parking at the Floria would be my first choice with the parking area at the bottom of the new Charmieux lift (where the Outalays lift was) slightly less popular as it's a bit further from Chinaillon itself.

We've usually based ourselves in Chinaillon rather than LGB itself as we've self catered and it's a good spot to be.
There are Snowheads on here who have property there so if you have any more specific questions I'm sure you'll get help.
latest report
Same here- we go every half term since the kids were little- we stay in LGB at either campsite- buses are frequent - yes it’s busy but we often take slower gondola up, then very slow chairlift-
love lunch at Terre Rouges- always do a couple of days in La Clusaz-(On same lift pass)- gutted we’ll inevitably miss it this Feb- snow looks great at the moment!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy