Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has everyone written of this season then??

Poster: A snowHead
A while ago for me. Simply not worth the hassle, the will it wont it happen back and forth, and I don't see covid skiing being particularly fun (my friends in ski resorts in Canada say queues are terrible due to limited upload capacity). Been fortunate to snowboard a lot the last few seasons, and should go back to that following this year so was not a difficult decision. Actually nice to have a winter "off" to focus on some other things.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fully expecting to get plenty of time in the hills June onwards.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Extremophile, yes I see where you are coming from. There's been a lot of "news" in Austria about problems with queues and lack of social distancing. It's certainly not been the case here, but perhaps some of the ski areas nearer to Vienna have been busy at weekends. Hence my response.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@hang11, you're fortunate in being in a country that has handled the pandemic so much better than European countries, and can look forward to uncrowded slopes in the coming ski season.Enjoy! snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I still have hope... I'll probably end up throwing some money away over said hopes. I'm really hoping for a proper last minute trip
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have no idea why anyone would think it’ll be busy if the season does start in places it hasn’t already. Many who would’ve travelled won’t because of Covid worries, or because they’ve made other plans etc.

I’ve written off people coming from the UK to stay with me in France. By March the UK will let them out, but the French won’t let them in. 50:50 whether the lifts run. The French are vaccinating so slowly I’d be more worried about next season at this rate.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alastair Pink wrote:
@hang11, you're fortunate in being in a country that has handled the pandemic so much better than European countries, and can look forward to uncrowded slopes in the coming ski season.Enjoy! snowHead

Very lucky. Although in the midst of a very hot summer currently and really wishing I could get overseas. The best thing in Nz is that with no tourists the heli ski operators dropped their prices so kiwis on poverty wages could do it. Planning to get 10 heli days in this coming season for about the same price as a snow trip to Europe. Works out ok.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
queenie pretty please wrote:
@Extremophile, yes I see where you are coming from. There's been a lot of "news" in Austria about problems with queues and lack of social distancing. It's certainly not been the case here, but perhaps some of the ski areas nearer to Vienna have been busy at weekends. Hence my response.

I thought Austrian resorts were only really open for those who live locally being that overnight accommodation is still closed. My info may be out of date though
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I live 300m from the nearest lift and I've written off normality for the rest of the winter. No lifts running atm, bars and restaurants closed, mates normally here for the winter unable to do so. Can't really see much change and the thought of opening for the french holidays, if that were to happen, is pretty horrifying tbh.

However I can get up the mountain under my own power whenever I want. Touring skis and snowshoes mainly, today a more leisurely hike with the snowshoes strapped to my rucksack in case. Doing wonders for my weight and fitness.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm still hopeful of getting to the EoSB, but that hope is fading. I suspect the only skiing I'll do this year will be if we have an unusual cold snap in the SW or if/when Hemel opens again.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Has everyone written off this season then??

Pretty much. The informed advice seems to be that we may be getting back to something like normal in the Summer. Assuming we are still alive.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
[quote="achilles"]
Quote:

Has everyone written off this season then??

100%. We are hoping that we might ski again by the end of 2021 but are not necessarily expecting to do so. Sad

At the start of this "season" we had hoped to at least get to Scotland for a slide but have now written that off as well. Sad Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Extremophile wrote:

I thought Austrian resorts were only really open for those who live locally being that overnight accommodation is still closed. My info may be out of date though

Yes although it looks like the weekend skiers are travelling further than usual to get away from the crowds and nearer to the better snow.

Near to here (Vienna) there have been problems. Vienna has a population of around 1.9 Million, lower Austria (which is the green belt around Vienna) has a population of around 1.7 Million so that's 40% of Austria's population in a small area in the east. Some local resorts turned to online booking only. Some have had to turn people away after becoming full early in the day. More recently the road to Kreischberg was shut as there were so many visitors.

https://steiermark.orf.at/stories/3084183/

Carparks have been filling quickly and with the corona issues etc I've stayed away from the ski resorts this year.
Haven't written the season off, we just need more snow to make ski touring possible near here.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 12-01-21 10:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think its very unlikely for this season for your average Brit based Brit.

I was fortunate to get a lads weekend in Jan and a half term week with daughter in Feb last year, got out just as Italy was starting its first surge.

The issue will also be that, even if its legally possible, its likely only some places / countries will be open to brits and have high enough resorts with enough / glacier snow left, so will be probably be very busy.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Extremophile, @DB, yes that's what I meant. Here on weekdays it's not busy at all, so much so that some lift services are slightly reduced. At weekends there's more available. If it's sunny the car parks are over half full and there might be a socially distanced queue for base lifts for a few minutes, all very well managed. Of course the car parks cater for tourers and langlaufers too. The pistes aren't overly busy. If the weather's not so good, then far fewer people. I guess many of those who are driving a long distance for a day trip are fair weather skiers. wink
snow report
Austria will let UK citizens in, provided they quarantine for 10 days (reducing to 5 with a negative covid test).

Fine with me, I can work remotely so once they/we are out of lockdown I will book an apartment for the last month or so of the season.
latest report
@Extremophile, @DB, yes that's what I meant. Here on weekdays it's not busy at all, so much so that some lift services are slightly reduced. At weekends there's more available. If it's sunny the car parks are over half full and there might be a socially distanced queue for base lifts for a few minutes, all very well managed. Of course the car parks cater for tourers and langlaufers too. The pistes aren't overly busy. If the weather's not so good, then far fewer people. I guess many of those who are driving a long distance for a day trip are fair weather skiers. wink

Well, lets see if that is how things stay when tourism resumes in the traditional sense... doubt it, but don't want to be accused of spreading fake news again.
snow report
@sixth_jackson, at the moment Austria does not let non-resident UK citizens in (barring exceptional circumstances). I don't envisage this changing during the winter season. Sorry.
ski holidays
Unfortunately yes, this season is a gonna for me. Despite there being an outside possibility of some spring skiing, I've decided it's not worth both the hassle and risk.
I'm hopeful I'll be able to get something in late 2021 ie the PSB or something. But I'll wait and see on that one...
ski holidays
@Extremophile, it seems likely that any ease of tourism restrictions during the winter season in Austria will be for Austrian citizens/residents only.
ski holidays
@Extremophile, it seems likely that any ease of tourism restrictions during the winter season in Austria will be for Austrian citizens/residents only.

Austrians will still take their ski holidays in droves
snow conditions
@queenie

No, not quite.

"Flights from the UK and South Africa are not allowed to land in Austria until 24 January.

Austria is currently in lockdown and hotels and restaurants are closed, making touristic/leisure travel virtually impossible.

For Austrian citizens and residents of Austria, EU, UK, Switzerland, and safe countries, the following rules apply:

Quarantine Mandatory
A 10-day self-quarantine is mandatory when arriving from a risk area. Currently, almost all countries worldwide are considered risk areas (exceptions see below). When arriving, you need to present a "Declaration of Quarantine" form. Please download it here and fill it in before arriving.

Ending Quarantine By Getting Tested
After 5 days of quarantine at the earliest, you can get a PCR or antigen test. If the test is negative, you do not need to quarantine further. You may leave quarantine for the express purpose of getting tested. You will have to pay for your own test."
ski holidays
@sixth_jackson, you're wrong I'm afraid. The UK is not on the list of EU safe countries.

Austria is currently discussing opening tourism for domestic guests only for the remaining winter season from early February.
snow conditions
Hi All

So last March I had my trip to La Plagne called off 6 hours before I was due to leave. Rescheduled the trip until 10 Jan 2021 - that has also been canned and has been moved to 14th March 2021. No way that is going to happen I fear so am getting ready to bump it for a fourth time to 2022. Also have a trip booked for two weeks around Easter to Val Thorens. Also highly suspect this ain't happening either - will just cancel it when it becomes a clearer picture.

Even if the French open their resorts there is no way us Brits are going to be allowed anywhere near them due to our out of control infection levels essentially banning us from travelling to Europe. I can not see this changing before the Spring at the very earliest.

Skiing this season? No chance.
latest report
LOL. This is taken from the austria.info site...
snow report
@sixth_jackson, then it has not been updated.
snow conditions
you're saying you know more than the austrian government tourist info site.

okay then.
snow conditions
@sixth_jackson, Possibly. She lives in Austria.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sixth_jackson, they can be rather slow to update the websites, especially the English language variant.
latest report
sorry, i'm going to go on the basis of the official source
snow report
@sixth_jackson, sorry it isn’t going to happen, QPP is right as far as I’m aware. I’ve cancelled all my planned weeks, it won’t be open this season for U.K. skiers wanting to go to Austria.
snow conditions
Apart from hoping to be released from Fife to get in a day trip up north have given up hope and thinking about 2022

Got a house booked up north early March (already re-arranged from when we went to tier 3 in November) but got a feeling am going to be re scheduling that for later in the year too- Do hope I'm wrong though!
ski holidays
@sixth_jackson, believe whatever you want, but you won't be having a vacation in Austria this winter. Don't get your hopes up for something that just won't happen.

P.S. austria.info is an official tourism website rather than a government website. It is very slow to be updated. My guess is that they are waiting for a government announcement regarding opening tourism for domestic guests before the website is updated.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 12-01-21 11:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@sixth_jackson, qpp's track record concerning what's happening in Austria regarding UK citizens has been very good.
snow conditions
Our winter season job in Meribel starting beginning of December was binned at the end of October, we did hold out some hopes of a March trip, but those hopes were gone by New Year. Our worry now is that things won't be opened up in time for our summer season job in the UK to start at the end of March.
latest report
until the austrian government website has been updated, that's what i'm going to regard as accurate.
snow report
@sixth_jackson, the austrian government website is up to date, just not the tourism one. I do think you are ill-advised to make plans for something which is extremely unlikely to happen, but as you were.

From Friday the rules regarding entry to Austria are changing again. The list of safe countries has been reduced further (Ireland, Greece and a few others have been removed) and there is now a need to register online for permission for entry. Tourism is not a reason for permission. The 10-day quarantine requirement remains.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 12-01-21 11:19; edited 1 time in total
latest report
i haven't made plans at all. luckily i can travel at short notice.
snow report
achilles wrote:
@sixth_jackson, qpp's track record concerning what's happening in Austria regarding UK citizens has been very good.

That's as maybe*, but you can't blame them for going off what's on an official website rather than a forum.

*is that really a saying, doesn't look right and doesn't make sense either, am I just another of those people saying stuff like "all intensive purposes" or "no pacific reason"?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 12-01-21 11:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I don't expect to ski this season in Europe but hoping for a slim chance of Stubai or Kitz some time after Easter.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy