Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has everyone written of this season then??

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

See look how down wiv da kidz I am with that up to the minute cultural reference.

@Dave of the Marmottes, Exit Planet Dust and Dig Your Own Hole were released in the last century. Funnily enough I assume that everything from the 90s onwards was 7 or 8 years ago, rather than 27 or 28 years ago.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@sixth_jackson, that's not how betting works. But no doubt you'll find an out of date weblink to try and "prove" your theory. Dream on sucker.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dode wrote:
Quote:

See look how down wiv da kidz I am with that up to the minute cultural reference.

@Dave of the Marmottes, Exit Planet Dust and Dig Your Own Hole were released in the last century. Funnily enough I assume that everything from the 90s onwards was 7 or 8 years ago, rather than 27 or 28 years ago.

Stone cold classics. Timeless.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
queenie pretty please wrote:
@sixth_jackson, that's not how betting works. But no doubt you'll find an out of date weblink to try and "prove" your theory. Dream on sucker.

------the joke------->

Puzzled <----you
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sixth_jackson wrote:
DB wrote:
It's dead simple, borders are open but you need a valid reason to visit Austria which cannot be "to ski" as from 15 Jan 2021.

Even the Germans can't get across the border to ski at the moment just as the Austrians couldn't get across the border into Germany when the shops were open in Germany but not in Austria. How someone believes they will be able to turn up at the Austrian border with a car packed full of ski stuff and expect to get in is beyond me.

Yes, and as I have mentioned a few times, this is obviously subject to the rules changing post lockdown.

Time will prove one of us right. Until then, I suggest you worry about something else.

Alles klar?

What's up man are you bored and just want an argument or something?
I agreed it could change and said there was no point arguing for 20 pages earlier.

There's nothing to prove from my side, I've stated the facts to the best of my knowledge to help people here. We are not stating these things because we don't want people to come. If this goes on for years the Austrian economy will be knackered which will probably have long term serious effects on us too.

… but let's cut to the chase, here's my offer -

You pay to join up to snowheads now for 2021. If you make it to Saalbach in April 2021 and ski while the lifts are open I will pay your subs for 2022, if not you pay mine. Deal?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DB wrote:
sixth_jackson wrote:
DB wrote:
It's dead simple, borders are open but you need a valid reason to visit Austria which cannot be "to ski" as from 15 Jan 2021.

Even the Germans can't get across the border to ski at the moment just as the Austrians couldn't get across the border into Germany when the shops were open in Germany but not in Austria. How someone believes they will be able to turn up at the Austrian border with a car packed full of ski stuff and expect to get in is beyond me.

Yes, and as I have mentioned a few times, this is obviously subject to the rules changing post lockdown.

Time will prove one of us right. Until then, I suggest you worry about something else.

Alles klar?

What's up man are you bored and just want an argument or something?
I agreed it could change and said there was no point arguing for 20 pages earlier.

There's nothing to prove from my side, I've stated the facts to the best of my knowledge to help people here. We are not stating these things because we don't want people to come. If this goes on for years the Austrian economy will be knackered which will probably have long term serious effects on us too.

… but let's cut to the chase, here's my offer -

You pay to join up to snowheads now for 2021. If you make it to Saalbach in April 2021 and ski while the lifts are open I will pay your subs for 2022, if not you pay mine. Deal?

no offence, but there are other people i would prefer to ski with...

anyway, i'm glad we agree. have a good evening.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sixth_jackson wrote:

no offence, but there are other people i would prefer to ski with...

anyway, i'm glad we agree. have a good evening.

You don't have to ski with me, I have many friends in the Salzburg area who could confirm wether you were there or not.

Quote:
Donating: everything helps!
Donate £5 or over and we'll update your user rank to 'snowHead' permanently to say thanks.

Subscribing (as a super-snowHead):
This gets you:
- a few extra site features,
- the power to switch advertising on or off,
- discounts on snowHeads trips and products
- discounts on 3rd party services and products

You get 12 months 'super-snowHead' subscription for £35.
Or, set up a regular annual subscription of £25/yr

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/support_snowHeads.php

Have a good evening.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sixth_jackson wrote:
DB wrote:
The facts are -

British citizens are seen as third country nationals in Austria.
From 15 th Jan 2020 you need a PTC (Pre travel clearance) - this has been implemented for a reason.
Tourists are not legally allowed to ski in Austria at the moment
Most ski resorts shut at easter, irrespectuve of snow conditions.
Easter Sunday falls on the 4th April this year.

.... and I'm not going to argue on the internet with a twit who doesn't know the difference between Saas Fee and Saalbach.

For the final time... from https://www.bmeia.gv.at/

"People who are in regions that are subject to a travel warning due to the COVID-19 pandemic must continue to immediately enter a ten-day (home) quarantine when entering Austria. The early termination of the quarantine due to a negative PCR or antigen test is possible on the fifth day at the earliest (ie from the 5th day after entry)."

This is very simple stuff. See you in April <3

On the same website (click the FAQ link)

"When are third-country nationals outside the Schengen area allowed to re-enter Austria?
It is not yet possible to foresee when it will be possible for third-country nationals to enter Austria without a visa D or a residence permit. However, the regulation on entry to Austria in connection with the containment of the coronavirus (COVID-19) provides for some exceptions. You can find more detailed information about existing exceptions on the website of the responsible Federal Ministry for Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection".

the Quarantine thing quoted above refers to Austrians travelling back in from "regions". I can't see the current ban on third country nationals being lifted by April. Even if it is relaxed it will be for a specific set of valid reasons, which "tourist's skiing" wont be one of them. Similarly France won't be letting the Brits back anytime soon. Switzerland might be a better but still extremely thin bet.

Saalbach has a new Gondola link to Saas Fee ski area. I'm sure I read that on a Zell am See thread.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
https://nationalpost.com/pmn/health-pmn/lauberhorn-ski-classic-canceled-as-uk-tourist-spreads-virus-variant

Can't see many countries wanting us back in a hurry
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
t4tomo wrote:
Saalbach has a new Gondola link to Saas Fee ski area. I'm sure I read that on a Zell am See thread.

Thats some Gondola, it's almost 700 km. Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@DB, they're easily confused, aren't they?

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
achilles wrote:
@sixth_jackson, qpp's track record concerning what's happening in Austria regarding UK citizens has been very good.

*is that really a saying, doesn't look right and doesn't make sense either, am I just another of those people saying stuff like "all intensive purposes" or "no pacific reason"?

Errr... you might actually be the only one saying the above, as it's actually "all intents and purposes" and "no specific reason." wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Bergmeister, um... that was their point NehNeh
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ousekjarr wrote:
@DB, they're easily confused, aren't they?

Yes and I have so many questions -

Is it heated and how long does it take?
Is there a baggage allowance?
What happens if you need to do a number 2 or a number 1 whens it's windy? (wear goggles?)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@DB, you know those little hatches in the bottom of gondolas, which are too small to fall out of, and about which everyone always asks why they're there? That's called the Number Two Hatch... but you do have to hover, as sitting on the cold floor is not a great idea.

How long does it take? About 200 years to build it, then a week to ride one-way in it.
snow report
@sixth_jackson, enjoy your life of delusion. I'd bet good money that you won't be anywhere near here in April. Saalbach will be closed in early April anyway.
Good point, well made. Well the area closes on 11.04 according to Bergfex at least.
latest report
dode wrote:
Quote:

Screamadelica is 30 years old this year - it's as dated as Bill Haley was when I was a kid. Time is a cruel mistress as we creep towards dust.
snow report
Am I the only one who had to Google " OK Boomer"?
snow conditions
NickYoung wrote:
Am I the only one who had to Google " OK Boomer"?

Not at all.

I went from not knowing what it is to feeling proud (because Pam was proud to be one so it must be something good) to realising I'm too young.
As you can imagine it's been a real emotional roller coaster for me, I just wish some people would get their facts straight before insulting me.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Boomer
snow report
DB wrote:
t4tomo wrote:

You mah have missed the albeit thin humour of 6jackson, originally getting confused by Saas Fee and Saalbach further up thread.
ski holidays
@DB, I’m too young as well! NehNeh
ski holidays
t4tomo wrote:
DB wrote:
t4tomo wrote:

You mah have missed the albeit thin humour of 6jackson, originally getting confused by Saas Fee and Saalbach further up thread.

Sorry I'm trying (very) but sometimes it's hard to sort out the humour from what people really believe.
latest report
From a Facebook post:

Quote:
Saxony finishes the Alpine ski season 2020/21 before it starts. The ski lifts in the free state will no longer start their operation for winter tourism. This is what tourism minister Barbara Klepsch agreed with the operators of the ski lifts today.

′′ Our ski resorts in Saxony would currently have to start snowing their slopes in order to keep enough snow for the rest of the season. The current corona situation in Saxony is still very serious. We have therefore agreed with heavy hearts to end the alpine winter season for tourism. With this, we want to give the lift operators planning security so that they avoid unnecessary costs," says Minister of Tourism Klepsch.

i ️ According to the current Saxon corona protection regulation, the operation of ski lifts is prohibited. The ski lift operators shared the view that even after this period the ongoing infection situation does not allow for appropriate relaxation.
➡ Minister Klepsch will soon again communicate with the ski lift operators on how to offset the revenue shortages of the ski lift operators. In addition, we are considering how to strengthen local all-year tourism.

I am sure there will be more decisions like this one all across Europe.
ski holidays
Quote:

As you can imagine it's been a real emotional roller coaster for me, I just wish some people would get their facts straight before insulting me.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Today the Austrian government are discussing extending the lockdown. The German government already talking about extending until Easter. The fears are that the British virus mutation is already spreading.

With that in mind the ski areas are discussing closing at the end of the semester holidays in late February as they do not envisage many day trippers after this date.

So this will of course mean that Saalbach is closed in April and the borders will also remain closed.
snow report
@queenie pretty please, calling it the British virus is as unhelpful as calling it China virus
snow conditions
We have had our booking moved from March 20 to jan 1 21 then again to March 21 and now it’s still live for mid April for Grand Massif. Feeling increasingly downbeat about the possibility of us getting out there tho. Considering moving to an alternative country as think France is unlikely. Flights booked into Geneva as well
ski holidays
@SnoodlesMcFlude, British virus mutation is how it is being described by the press, sorry. A better description would be the more contagious virus mutation first discovered in the UK.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Surprised it hasn't already been called "Insel Affen Grippe" Toofy Grin

It is suspected that the B117 mutation has also been found in a nursing in Vienna. 42 of the 101 patients are infected.
https://www.meinbezirk.at/wien/c-lokales/britische-corona-mutation-in-wiener-pflegeheim_a4433004

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 13-01-21 13:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@SnoodlesMcFlude, British virus mutation is how it is being described by the press, sorry. A better description would be the more contagious virus mutation first discovered in the UK.

Makes sense. In my mind it doesn't seem right for the media to be attributing nationalities to the virus, which is exactly what I thought a year ago when Trump was doing it. I know historically it's been done as with Spanish Flu, but just seems a good way to further divide people.

But I could just be being and overly sensitive snowflake.
snow report
Quote:
While it's unlikely that the “Spanish Flu” originated in Spain, scientists are still unsure of its source. France, China and Britain have all been suggested as the potential birthplace of the virus, as has the United States, where the first known case was reported at a military base in Kansas on March 11, 1918.

https://www.history.com/news/why-was-it-called-the-spanish-flu
latest report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:

Makes sense. In my mind it doesn't seem right for the media to be attributing nationalities to the virus, which is exactly what I thought a year ago when Trump was doing it. I know historically it's been done as with Spanish Flu, but just seems a good way to further divide people.

But I could just be being and overly sensitive snowflake.

I think our objection to it - on grounds of science if nothing else - will sadly however be by the by. If media in various EU countries describe it as the English or British variant there is all the more reason for local leaders to place more restrictions on UK visitors because a bit of populist pandering never did any poitical career any harm. I think our case rate probably will do for us anyway effectively but even if that were trending dramatically lower there would still be the UK X factor.

I can't say we wouldn't do the same in reverse - say there was a French variant identified - our tabloids would be all over the opportunity to lead on "Hop off back home froggies" or "NON - No Overseas Nasties".
ski holidays
With the UK currently having over 600 cases per 100,000 population, compared to France's less than 200 cases per 100,000, I believe that most of Europe is going to seriously restrict UK travellers entering EU countries for some considerable time. Pinning one's hopes on a quick vaccine fix is wishful.

Calling the UK variant as "plague anglaise" is not boding well either.
latest report
The head of the Genome sequencing team in the UK was on the radio this morning.

He said they started looking for the variant that is now the so-called British variant....but only after having been asked to do so by one of "our European neighbours" which had spotted something going on in their country. My money would be on Germany where in December the rates just kept going up while the restrictions got tighter and tighter.

They asked to UK to look for it because the UK does nearly 50% of all the CV sequencing in the world!
10% of all positive tests get sequenced in the UK.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I can't say we wouldn't do the same in reverse - say there was a French variant identified - our tabloids would be all over the opportunity to lead on "Hop off back home froggies" or "NON - No Overseas Nasties".

Oh they absolutely would, but our tabloids are also undeniably ****s.

Doesn't help our case for going skiing this season though Sad
ski holidays
rungsp wrote:
The head of the Genome sequencing team in the UK was on the radio this morning.

He said they started looking for the variant that is now the so-called British variant....but only after having been asked to do so by one of "our European neighbours" which had spotted something going on in their country. My money would be on Germany where in December the rates just kept going up while the restrictions got tighter and tighter.

They asked to UK to look for it because the UK does nearly 50% of all the CV sequencing in the world!
10% of all positive tests get sequenced in the UK.

Yes agreed - calling the UK variant as "plague anglaise" seems particularly unfair due to this. One comment at the time the new variant was identified mentioned that a lot of countries have little or no sequencing, so the likelihood was the UK was always likely to identify it first no matter where it originated.
snow conditions
skimastaaah wrote:
With the UK currently having over 600 cases per 100,000 population, compared to France's less than 200 cases per 100,000, I believe that most of Europe is going to seriously restrict UK travellers entering EU countries for some considerable time. Pinning one's hopes on a quick vaccine fix is wishful.

Yes very wishful. Even if the UK manages to vaccinate all the vulnerable (big if I know) to a point where hospital pressures ease and we can start to ease restrictions in the UK (because even if those under 60 haven't been vaccinated, those likely to die or get seriously ill will have been vaccinated). However, it feels like France* are behind the curve in their vaccination programme, so if their vulnerable still aren't fully vaccinated, then we still won't be able to travel there (without a vaccination certificate, which only the older and more vulnerable will have).

*other skiing countries are available.
snow conditions
skimastaaah wrote:

Seems highly likely that case rates in EU and elsewhere will pick up, given that the new variant is more infectious and even the original variant couldn't be contained.
ski holidays
Quote:

Saalbach has a new Gondola link to Saas Fee ski area.

On looking out of my window earlier, I noticed that the Schattberg Xpress gondola had been closed due to high winds. Can anyone direct me to this new gondola, in case the weather is better in Saas Fee?
In other news, a British neighbour of ours drove down a few days ago, via the Chunnel (apparently breezed his way through, even though he only has a holiday home here in Saalbach). Our elderly Austrian neighbour nearly had a fit! Convinced he’s imported the British variant - negative test certificate or not.
latest report
tatmanstours wrote:
Quote:

Saalbach has a new Gondola link to Saas Fee ski area.

On looking out of my window earlier, I noticed that the Schattberg Xpress gondola had been closed due to high winds. Can anyone direct me to this new gondola, in case the weather is better in Saas Fee?

It is a joke, read the previous couple of pages to get the context.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy