Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French lifts to open start of Spring 2021 ?

Poster: A snowHead
So what do we know so far?

Some lifts are open for ski club and training use.

9 new departments will join the Hautes-Alpes with an 18-6h curfew. You'll need a famous "attestion" to be out on the streets after 6pm. For the moment the French Northern Alps have escaped the new restrictions.

Ski lifts to remain closed probably until the 6th February.
Restaurants and bars will remain closed at least until mid February.

The government will update information on the 20th January 2021.

Medical experts are calling for a new lockdown due to two clusters of the "English plague" discovered in Rennes and Paris suburbs. The government had been hoping for a gradual return to work.

The French vaccination programme has been sluggish to say the least, leaving the country exposed to new variants of Covid-19. It appears the EU did a super deal to get the vaccines on the cheap but Pfizer and Astra Zenica are in no hurry to deliver to France when they have better clients waiting for doses. The country is also having difficulty delivering and administering the Pfizer vaccine. There are various rumours (#fakenews?) that the delay and wrangling at EU level has been around a potential French vaccine being ordered but this would not be available until the summer of 2021. The arrival of the "English plague" has knocked this strategy for six.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 20-01-21 18:52; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Of course it would be very quiet on 6th February, start of the french holidays wink Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, they are probably just kicking the can to the end of the season really but I started a new thread with the new "dates" to keep track of developments.

http://youtube.com/v/fafQMwwne9A
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers for the summary, sums it up well enough. 6pm curfew is worse than the lockdowns in a way because the new attestation doesn't cater for shopping.

Side note, we complain that the orange buffoon uses the word "Chinese Covid", but when French news say "English plague" nobody bats an eyelid. I guess what comes around... but still, it should not be accepted, to me it's as xenophobic as Manuel (from Fawlty Towers).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@patrick!, just add it to the list:-

"English disease A generic term for any of a number of conditions which are said to occur more commonly in the English.

English diseases
• Depression
• Football (soccer) hooliganism
• Hypochondriasis
• Rickets
• Syphilis
• Sweating sickness (sudor anglicus)"

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
But syphilis was first known as the french disease Laughing

I think Castex's terminology was the English and the South African Variants tbf.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am just pleased that the veerusse remembered to adjust back from summer time.

Curfews exist for one reason and that only - and it’s not for public health reasons ...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:

Curfews exist for one reason and that only - and it’s not for public health reasons ...

Give us a clue, then! Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Problems with French vaccine rollout, according to BBC:

A sluggish start is being blamed on bureaucracy and vaccine scepticism, writes Hugh Schofield, in Paris.

France's boast of a big, effective state apparatus has been badly exposed by the sluggish start to the Covid vaccination programme. After the first week, when neighbouring Germany had inoculated around 250,000 people, France was on a mere 530. By Friday, the figure had gone up to 45,500 - still so small as to be statistically meaningless.

So why has it taken so long for France to put the plan into action? It is not as if the authorities did not have time to prepare. And it is certainly not a question of a lack of vaccine. In fact, more than a million Pfizer doses are already in cold storage, waiting to be used.

Polls suggest as many as 58% of the public do not want to be given the jab.

The primary reason for the delay seems to be the cumbersome, over-centralised nature of France's health bureaucracy. A 45-page dossier of instructions issued by the ministry in Paris had to be read and understood by staff at old people's homes.

Each recipient then had to give informed consent in a consultation with a doctor, held no less than five days before injection. The lengthy procedure is in theory to save lives - those of patients who might have an adverse reaction. But as the critics have been arguing, delay in inoculating the population is also costing lives.

Another problem in France is the high level of scepticism towards vaccination - product of a more general suspicion of government. Polls suggest as many as 58% of the public do not want to be given the jab. The effect - critics say - has been to make the government unduly cautious. When urgency was required, the authorities were reluctant to move fast for fear of galvanising the anti-vaxxers.

After President Emmanuel Macron communicated his anger at the delays at the weekend, the pace is picking up. The procedure for consent is being simplified. By the end of January, the plan is to have 500-600 vaccination centres open across the country - either in hospitals or other big public buildings.

Politically a lot is at stake. The government has already come under fire for failings in providing masks and tests. With opposition voices calling the vaccine delay a "state scandal", President Macron needs a roll-out that is fast and problem-free.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
The primary reason for the delay seems to be the cumbersome, over-centralised nature of France's health bureaucracy.

Tell me about it, I've been trying to get into the system for nearly a year Mad

Meanwhile I'm sitting here watching the Diable lift from my window carrying "ski clubs" up Mad I can't go to my gym which is closed, except for professionals rolling eyes

Sun back tomorrow so I'll earn a few turns. Dumbells seem to be out of stock in the closest Decathlons so I'm planning a trip a bit further afield on Tuesday. Freezer shopping at the same time Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Tell me about it, I've been trying to get into the system for nearly a year

I remember those weekly trips to CPAM all those years ago; each trip required a new document...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
. . .'the English Plague' . . . .got to love the frogs and how they're still bitter about their inferior Empire . . .if they don't want our cash then all the more reason to ski Austria IMHO . . .at least if they say they're Covid free then they more likely are . . .
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Claude B wrote:
But syphilis was first known as the french disease Laughing

I think Castex's terminology was the English and the South African Variants tbf.

Oooh! I'm rather partial to a little Tudor time framed barracking, it's ok all you USA based forumites as you can safely sit this one out Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Meanwhile I went to Chambery this afternoon. Decathlon and Carrefour. Absolutely rammed Shocked Although I guess the risk of injury was low the risk of covid infection, oh la la. I did manage to buy a set of dumbells though Laughing

The french have many derogatory terms for us rosbifs, probably similar in number to English terms for them.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not being able to shop after 6pm is bloody ridiculous. Along with seemingly the entirety of Grasse, I was forced to do all shopping for the week today. It was utter chaos, far busier than Christmas and almost as bad as when the first lockdown was announced, with poor shop staff being unable to stock shelves fast enough and resorting to dumping pallets on the floor.
snow report
@ldudley, I can imagine. Busy enough in Savoie this afternoon with curfew at 8.

I was happy tbh to get back here where it's still pretty quiet Very Happy
ski holidays
Just to clarify something from davidof's OP Haute Savoie is staying in regular curfew hours (from 8pm) not going to the 6pm curfew...
snow report
Belch wrote:
. . .'the English Plague' . . . .got to love the frogs and how they're still bitter about their inferior Empire . . .if they don't want our cash then all the more reason to ski Austria IMHO . . .at least if they say they're Covid free then they more likely are . . .

Where to start...? No, we are not interested in 'your cash'. Your post embodies everything wrong about the English attitude to the forriners. wee wee off to Austria if they will have you! Toofy Grin
latest report
Incorrect post
snow report
Claude B wrote:
@ldudley, I can imagine. Busy enough in Savoie this afternoon with curfew at 8.

I was happy tbh to get back here where it's still pretty quiet Very Happy

I have been enjoying your pictures and Lucy's (an LDA regular, for those who don't know) on FB. Snow conditions look good.
snow report
@Claude B, So the curfew in Savoie is 8 but in the Isere it is 6pm. Is Chambery very busy in the early evening then?
snow report
On disease’s I would note that the French have a few that are otherwise unknown to medical science, e.g. “heavy legs” ...
ski holidays
@johnE, curfew is 8 in Isere too. I guess it was just a usual busy Saturday afternoon as everyone in Chambery shopped. I don't get to those busy places that often now, especially on a Saturday afternoon.
snow report
offpisteskiing wrote:
Just to clarify something from davidof's OP Haute Savoie is staying in regular curfew hours (from 8pm) not going to the 6pm curfew...

Thanks Simon, I've fixed that.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
On disease’s I would note that the French have a few that are otherwise unknown to medical science, e.g. “heavy legs” ...

"Crisis of the liver" is one that regularly has the missus laid up. Liverish would be the UK equivalent
snow report
mitcva wrote:

So why has it taken so long for France to put the plan into action? It is not as if the authorities did not have time to prepare. And it is certainly not a question of a lack of vaccine. In fact, more than a million Pfizer doses are already in cold storage, waiting to be used.

It seems one of the Enarques forgot to order needles and syringes !
snow report
Piffling administrative details, not the deductive reasoning they were bred for....
ski holidays
Not sure why but no lifts running here today. Normally various ski clubs are up there.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@davidof, crise du foie - I always thought that was a "crisis of faith" ... wink
snow report
Can you get Andrews Liver Salts over here Laughing
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@davidof, crise du foie - I always thought that was a "crisis of faith" ... wink

Well now you mention it...
latest report
@Claude B, Same in ADH, lifts only ran yesterday for ski clubs.
snow report
davidof wrote:
mitcva wrote:

It seems one of the Enarques forgot to order needles and syringes !

Please tell me that's a joke!
latest report
Sounds very similar to the lack of forward planning here in Wales!
Not the docs not the nurses just the usual jobsworths in PHE Wales and our deadbeat government timeservers
snow report
@snowornever, I share your frustration!
snow report
davidof wrote:
under a new name wrote:

"Crisis of the liver" is one that regularly has the missus laid up. Liverish would be the UK equivalent

Not forgetting the ubiquitous "une gastro" Skullie
ski holidays
shep wrote:
davidof wrote:
under a new name wrote:

Not forgetting the ubiquitous "une gastro" Skullie

"la crève" is my favourite !!!
ski holidays
Incidentally I can confirm strong french opposition to the vaccine... just as an example : my french parents-in-law, aged 81 and 82, are refusing to have it... mind you, up here in the Hautes Alpes, traditional mountain dwellers have always been very suspicious of anything new arriving from the "outside" !!!!
ski holidays
@Claude B, not liver salts but there’s a similar sort of thing whose name now escapes me ... I’ll have a look.
latest report
Oh and yes, rumour has it round here that the reason behind the slow french vaccination program is the authorities deliberately dragging their feet to give the Institut Pasteur more time to roll out their own vaccine... it would seem the french want a home-made jab !!!
Who knows... although through my experience with all things french, I wouldn't put it past them !! rolling eyes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy