Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski sunday return 10-01-2021

Poster: A snowHead
I'm a bit behind so have only seen episode 1. Which I thoroughly enjoyed, well done the BBC, Chemmy and Ed.

Thought the reason for being in Laax was fully explained - don't really get the issue... Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Must admit when Ed first started on Ski Sunday I thought he was a bit of a tit but he's grown on me and actually quite like his presentation and banter now.

* Please don't tell me he really is a tit!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ster wrote:
iainm wrote:
I assume she has her kids there too, but she must have some spare time!

I don’t think she does. I thought I read in that amended BBC article that the kids were elsewhere and she was sacrificing this winter with them for her dream job.

Well, I can ask her about that when she's on The Ski Podcast - booked in as a guest for Episode 67... Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Well, I can ask her about that when she's on The Ski Podcast - booked in as a guest for Episode 67...

@iainm, How do you access these, BBC Sounds app? When on?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Markymark29, get a podcast app for your phone - I use the Googles own one as im on an android phone. You can stream them whenever you like once they've been released.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Or Spotify
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Layne wrote:
Must admit when Ed first started on Ski Sunday I thought he was a bit of a tit but he's grown on me and actually quite like his presentation and banter now.

He’s a nice guy, very down to earth and approachable. I bought an old snow board off him (dont tell anyone Shocked) when he lived in Verbier a couple of years back.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@SnoodlesMcFlude, Cheers, just saw them on spotify, will give one a listen later when chewing a few km's on the bike turbo.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I might be making this up but I think they’ve been in Laax since before Lockdown 3.0. I believe they had intended to travel around the circuit if possible & sensibly based themselves outside UK before finding themselves stranded by rule changes.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BobinCH wrote:
Layne wrote:

He’s a nice guy, very down to earth and approachable. I bought an old snow board off him (dont tell anyone Shocked) when he lived in Verbier a couple of years back.

That's the impression I've always got of him, also that's he's very passionate about his hobbies. I think he's a really good fit for Ski Sunday, although obviously needs a ski racer type to offer some balance, his presentation of the Red Bull X Fighters motorcross thing a few years back was also very good.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
https://audioboom.com/channels/4995750 or www.theskipodcast.com ... or whereever you download their podcasts.

If you have any questions for Chemmy please let me know before Thursday.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
iainm wrote:
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@iainm, well, there are cameras and presenters following the alpine events so there is coverage from there, whereas they usually do some specific coverage and features on the Laax open. So in that respect it makes some sense as they'll get some additional footage not available elsewhere, but also as above I think Chemmy was already in Laax.

But they are actually not going to the events, just staying in Laax. They are using regular broadcasts and Matt Chilton is just sitting in a studio (in Milan, I believe). So apart from one feature on Laax, I don't really see the point

@iainm, I think you've set up some questions yourself already wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just watched Ski Sunday - been watching it since I was a young ‘un in the 70’s.

Am I the only one that switches off (not literally but you know what I mean) when the skiing competitions end and the boarding starts?

It’s like going from watching Formula 1 to watching kids doing burnouts in Tesco’s car park!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
japes1275 wrote:

Am I the only one that switches off (not literally but you know what I mean) when the skiing competitions end and the boarding starts?

It’s like going from watching Formula 1 to watching kids doing burnouts in Tesco’s car park!

No , you’re definitely not the only one there. Quite a good analogy that.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 24-01-21 21:32; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Exactly wot I did.....
ski holidays
Did anyone else, that continued watching, notice how all the boarders were sitting in the middle of the piste just below the start gate? Old habits... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
japes1275 wrote:

Cant handle the young ones sport?
snow conditions
Trouble is the commentary - the words sound like English but I have no idea what they’re saying!
latest report
@Gordyjh, this!
ski holidays
@Mr.Egg, just don't find it interesting.
latest report
I only know how good a run it was at the end, when they either throw both hands in the air, or hold their head in their hands.

Never have been a fan of subjectively scored comps.
latest report
@NickYoung, absobloodylutely!
snow report
japes1275 wrote:

I don't know. I thought the slopestyle was mind blowing. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Pleased to see Zoi Sadowski-Synnott come 2nd. Good to watch.
snow conditions
It's not racing thow is it? I have no doubt it's very difficult and demanding but it's more like gymnastics than boarding. The bordercross is a good watch
latest report
@NickYoung,

surely you can see the technical difficulty in someone doing a 1080 (3 full rotations) compared to a just grabbing the board?
Not just going down a slope weaving between a few poles like most weeks.
UK does better in them disciplines than the one guy on 2 planks of wood manage.
Charlotte Bankes came 5th in yesterday SBX. Not even a mention for her.

I think Ski Sunday should be on for longer & covering more disciplines. Inc. Ski Jumping.
I would also like to see a segment each week covering a different resort or region.

Just look back at Eurosport schedule yesterday. A lot more disciplines going on that just the downhill + the ones not shown on Eurosport!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 25-01-21 8:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Jonny996 wrote:
It's not racing thow is it? I have no doubt it's very difficult and demanding but it's more like gymnastics than boarding. The bordercross is a good watch

why does ski sunday have to be about racing?
ski holidays
I like it, I have never snowboarded and probably never will but I appreciate the skill and bravery of the riders. Given the choice of one is watch a slalom race but I'm glad they show these other disciplines and hope they show more in future shows.
snow report
Do they run border racing as per skiing?
@Mr.Egg, you are correct it doesn't have to be about racing and a review of resort would be a good idea once normal time s are back
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
japes1275 wrote:

You're probably not the only one, but there are plenty of us that do find it interesting. I really enjoy the ski racing, it's one of the reasons I have Eurosport, but when Ski Sunday was only the racing it was actually quite dull and a lot of people switched off. Having the variety keeps a bit of interest and I think it's only fair to show some of the other disciplines on snow.

Analogy is a bit harsh too, it's more like drifting than kids doing burnouts. Still something that isn't for everyone, but is nonetheless extremely difficult and impressive.
latest report
Quote:

why does ski sunday have to be about racing?

+1

I don't agree with @Mr.Egg, on many subjects, but strongly do on this!
snow report
@Mr.Egg, completely agree, I'd like to see more things covered - the ski and board cross is really exciting to watch, and even cross country where we have a Brit doing consistently well, again doesn't get a mention.

I love watching the racing, but the same faces doing the same thing every week might be quite dull for many viewers and maybe hardens the view that snowsports are only for the 'elite'?

In general though I think ski sunday does relatively well with such a short slot and short run of programmes.
snow report
@Jonny996,

Yes, There is Ski Cross as well as border cross.
Both was streamed live on FIS Youtube channels.
Yesterday's final..

http://youtube.com/v/jPd6fH7GhLg&ab_channel=FISFreestyleSkiing
ski holidays
ElzP wrote:
In general though I think ski sunday does relatively well with such a short slot and short run of programmes.

Agree with this.
ski holidays
"..and even cross country where we have a Brit doing consistently well..."

This -- Biathlon is a good watch ; ski fast and then shoot at a tiny target..!
snow conditions
albob wrote:
"..and even cross country where we have a Brit doing consistently well..."

This -- Biathlon is a good watch ; ski fast and then shoot at a tiny target..!

Faster you ski, harder it is to hit the targets. Back off on the speed, shoot is easier but some of your competitors went faster and managed to hit them. It really is fascinating.
ski holidays
I think this series has been pretty good. Decent mix of racing and other stories, such as the slopestyle or the Weardale slot which was good to see. As has been said they have very limited time and do well with it. I switch off during the snowboarding generally but that's because I'm a skier and just don't find it interesting. I don't begrudge it being on though. More cross country and ski cross would be welcome as they're fun to watch Smile

I do miss Graham Bell's course descriptions as he's skiing them but I suppose Chemmy doesn't want to risk her legs with her injury record.
ski holidays
@Meltus, I think in the current climate Chemmy isn't allowed to go to the races to do the run. I'm sure when conditions are back to normal she will be doing the runs and describing them.
snow conditions
@Meltus, Chemmy was planned to do the course runs but additional CV restrictions put paid to that.
ski holidays
Of course my original comment was slightly tongue in cheek and more the result of being frustrated at seeing all that snowy Austrian scenery than anything else!

I’m slightly surprised at the responses as I half expected World War 3 when I looked this morning! Some really valid points and I guess it’s always going to be difficult to please everyone. Definitely more scope for showing a variety of snow sports but these days they seem restricted to about 5 or 6 one hour episodes a year. You would think with the way things are at the moment more or longer episodes would be lapped up by locked down skiers/boarders. Things like a segment reviewing different areas/resorts would be great. I really like the bit last week on Weardale!

I’ll give you that Snoodles, drifting is impressive (but still a bit pointless other than for a bit of showing off or getting rid of some old tyres!).

NickYoung says it all for me though, I suppose I’m just not a fan of judged scoring compared to good old against the clock. Once you’ve seen that someone can fly off a big jump and spin round a few times then it all gets a bit same as. Imagine watching the downhill without timing, it would still be impressive but once you know someone can fly down at 90mph it would get a bit boring!

Anyway, each to his/her own and let’s hope that soon we can all get back to the mountains and the skiers can wind up the boarders and vice versa - on the slopes!
ski holidays
I skipped past the Snowboarding part, it just bores me. That isnt a bash at snowboarding, it just have zero interest in it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy