Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski sunday return 10-01-2021

Poster: A snowHead
adithorp wrote:
snowornever wrote:
adithorp wrote:
Has anyone ever seen Dave Riding and John McGuinness in the same room?

Haha!
Mcguiness carries a bit more beer belly than Dave!

Just a bit? Toofy Grin

well, now that you mention it.....

(would be happy to have 5% of his talent though!)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have to say, advance knowledge that Dave Ryding did reasonably well didn't spoil my enjoyment of watching ski sunday.

Still not sure why Chemmy and the boarder guy have to stand in the snow half way up the mountain in Laax to present the show? They could have done it from a studio or stood on an apartment balcony / in the garden if we needed to see some snow?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@t4tomo, They are "keeping it real" on our behalf, and giving us "hope for the future."

It's a kind of "look what you could've won!" type message...

I did enjoy it though - as sad/jealous as it made me.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was surprised that The Aged Boarder wrapped-up with something along the lines of "everyone get out there and build something in your local park and show us the results" Then realised he's been in New Zealand, then Switzerland, so didn't realise this wasn't really in tune with the current UK landscape.

And now we have EuroSport1 and 2 in our base cable TV package, I realise just how much of the mainstream events Ski Sunday simply omits. Which is a shame. THere's enough material to make it twice as long. I assume it's the cost.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I cannot believe it is the cost compared to many other programmes, other than the dreaded quiz varieties or multiple repeats of bargain hunt... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
LaForet wrote:
I was surprised that The Aged Boarder wrapped-up with something along the lines of "everyone get out there and build something in your local park and show us the results" Then realised he's been in New Zealand, then Switzerland, so didn't realise this wasn't really in tune with the current UK landscape.

Yeah was a bit daft and the whole "look what you could have won" aspect grated a bit. A little too much of the "we're actually performing a public service by being on the slopes as we know you miss it" tone. Not sure in the current circumstances they couldn't just do the whole show from their homes/Salford.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wonder what they're gonna show this Sunday with no Lauberhorn DH. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Not sure in the current circumstances they couldn't just do the whole show from their homes/Salford

They went over that at the start of the show.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
halfhand wrote:
Wonder what they're gonna show this Sunday with no Lauberhorn DH. Toofy Grin

They can show the Wengen slalom which has been moved to Kitzbühel on Saturday 16th Jan, together with the Hahnenkamm slalom on the following day. The Wengen downhill has been moved to Friday 22nd Jan at Kitzbühel followed the next day by the Hahnenkamm downhill, so two downhill races on the Streif for the Ski Sunday on the weekend after next.

Here's the info from FIS:
This is to inform you that the cancelled men's Audi FIS Ski World Cup races from Wengen (SUI) will be rescheduled in Kitzbühel (AUT) as follows.
Official arrival day: Friday, 15.01.2021 (not before possible!!!)
Slalom (ex Wengen): Saturday, 16.01.2021 (starting time tbc)
Hahnenkamm Slalom: Sunday, 17.01.2021 at 10:15 / 13:15 (LOC)
Official arrival day: Monday, 18.01.2021 (not before possible!!!)
Downhill Training 1: Tuesday, 19.01.2021
Downhill Training 2: Wednesday, 13.01.2021
Downhill Trianing 3: Thursday, 14.01.2021
Downhill (replacing Wengen): Friday, 22.01.2021 at 11:30 (LOC)
Hahnenkamm Downhill: Saturday, 23.01.2021 at 11:30 (LOC)
Hahnenkamm Super-G: Sunday, 24.02.2021 (starting time tbc)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Laax Open is still on for the 19th to the 23rd. Might even get more than 3 minutes coverage seeing they can film it out the window.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Quote:

Not sure in the current circumstances they couldn't just do the whole show from their homes/Salford

They went over that at the start of the show.

Yes they were very keen to stress they had quarantined, travelled to the Alps pre lockdown and complied with every bit of guidance going.

I don't blame them being in Laax, I'd do the same, it makes perfect sense for them to be based there, particular as boarder chap Ed? hasn't even been in the UK recently.

My mate is actually down there too, he's lived and work is CH for yonks, now retired and has a place in Flims (all part of Laax area). he says the slopes are very quiet. I think weekends are probably busier.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Alastair Pink, Looks good. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Interesting item on Avalanches today -- Cairngorm looked just as cold/windy as I remember it......!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Enjoyed this week's episode - except for Ed calling a steady snowfall, admittedly it good for racing, a 'blizzard'. I particularly liked the visit to Weardale Ski Club.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
They glossed over why the Wengen events were cancelled. "...rising infection rates in the area"
latest report
@achilles,
Quote:

I particularly liked the visit to Weardale Ski Club.

I agree - it was well done, showed the club in a good light even though conditions were not great and got more air time than I expected.
snow report
Which producer taught Chemmy and Jenny (and to a certain extent Ed) that they need to make an exaggerated karate chop every second word they speak? Just keep your hands down and still please and show your enthusiasm and passion for the subject with your face and smiles Smile

Otherwise very enjoyable tonight
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
Enjoyed this week's episode - except for Ed calling a steady snowfall, admittedly it good for racing, a 'blizzard'. I particularly liked the visit to Weardale Ski Club.

Wasn't that Matt Chiltern in the commentary that said that?
Re: Weardale, agreed, I particularly liked the rabbit!
latest report
@Tubaski, indeed! Very Happy

ski holidays
@Tubaski, I thought it was a hare.
latest report
@Gordyjh, you're probably right.
snow report
defo a hare, moor-tops are their territory
ski holidays
What is the point of them being based in Laax, if they don't go to any other resorts? There's one event there during the season. Is it worth it just for that?
latest report
iainm wrote:
What is the point of them being based in Laax, if they don't go to any other resorts? There's one event there during the season. Is it worth it just for that?

Well I believe they said that Chemmy was already there before the series started, and Ed had been in (almost Covid-19 free) New Zealand so was easily and safely able to join her in Laax. I suppose it guarantees a snowy background to their presentations to camera. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
@iainm, well, there are cameras and presenters following the alpine events so there is coverage from there, whereas they usually do some specific coverage and features on the Laax open. So in that respect it makes some sense as they'll get some additional footage not available elsewhere, but also as above I think Chemmy was already in Laax.

I like the content so far, just wish they didn't feel the need to say "before lockdown restrictions" and "following all covid guidelines" every 10 minutes.
latest report
Quote:

I like the content so far, just wish they didn't feel the need to say "before lockdown restrictions" and "following all covid guidelines" every 10 minutes.

Unfortunately there will be some idiots who will think that the pieces shown will have been done this winter Toofy Grin
snow report
iainm wrote:

With no offence intended to the good people of Salford I think given the choice between there and Laax most of us would make the same call...
ski holidays
@SnoodlesMcFlude, have to suspect that they may well have some pressure on content next season though...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@iainm, well, there are cameras and presenters following the alpine events so there is coverage from there, whereas they usually do some specific coverage and features on the Laax open. So in that respect it makes some sense as they'll get some additional footage not available elsewhere, but also as above I think Chemmy was already in Laax.

But they are actually not going to the events, just staying in Laax. They are using regular broadcasts and Matt Chilton is just sitting in a studio (in Milan, I believe). So apart from one feature on Laax, I don't really see the point
snow report
Why not film it in Flaine if they want snow in the background ?
snow conditions
@iainm, they'll show Laax open and usually do several features from it, not just one.
snow conditions
@iainm, given that they have decided not to travel around, which single location would you rather they presented it from, and why?
snow report
I guess my point is, why not travel to other resorts? It's entirely legal to do it (in CH at least). Would be a better programme
snow conditions
iainm wrote:
I guess my point is, why not travel to other resorts? It's entirely legal to do it (in CH at least). Would be a better programme

I dont think they have a crew with them? So easier/cheaper just to stay in situ as they wouldnt be able to make the best of being on location anyway? Or in reality perhaps only a few jornos are allowed to each event and they arent important enough to qualify?

But given that they arent travelling around, for whatever reason, I see no point on them being there at all.
snow conditions
I think they are making a big thing of adhering to not only Swiss rules but also complying with UK rules. I think it's fair to assume that if they were travelling around that they would pick up a fair bit of criticism in UK for it.
@ster, I think you're right that only very limited media is allowed at the events, whether they would have qualified or not I don't know. But I think not following the tour around is in the spirit of the times even if it were technically permitted.
Quote:

But given that they arent travelling around, for whatever reason, I see no point on them being there at all.

Well, it's still a prettier backdrop than Salford, and with no crowds at the events we're probably not really missing much in terms of atmosphere. Would you rather Chemmy had done her gate's explainer on a whiteboard, or maybe at ChilFactore? Also would the presenters actually have still been up for it if Chemmy had to travel back from the Alps to UK and would Ed really have flown from NZ into a UK lockdown to sit in a studio a few hours a week? My take is that whilst it isn't perfect they are still producing some visually attractive and entertaining telly within the constraints.
snow report
IIRC Ed also reports for RedBull TV so I suspect he's got a gig there to cover the Laax Open outside of the BBC. He said in EP1 that the cameraman they are using came from NZ with Ed. @iainm, why not see if you can get Ed or Chem to do a quick 10mins interview for the podcast?
snow report
Yeah there's only 3 of them in the crew I think, I know that Ed traveled with the cameraman (forget his name) from NZ, as Ed posted on his Instagram.

But even if it is legal, it's entirely needless. Most features will have already been filmed, and they can get enough from Laax and the world FIS feed to make up the rest of the time. Travelling around from town to town is just going to increase the risk of taking something nasty from one place to another, for the sake of maybe 15 minutes of footage across the whole series from different mountains. And for the most part the pieces to camera on Sunday they could have told you were from Zauchensee or Courchevel and you'd probably be none the wiser, there's just no point in it.

And arguably, as Ster says, there's not much reason being in resort at all, other than the fact that they'll likely do some stuff with the freestyle crowd and it's nice to have the piece to camera being snowy with some trees in the background.
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
IIRC Ed also reports for RedBull TV so I suspect he's got a gig there to cover the Laax Open outside of the BBC. He said in EP1 that the cameraman they are using came from NZ with Ed. @iainm, why not see if you can get Ed or Chem to do a quick 10mins interview for the podcast?

I have been working on trying to get an Ed Leigh interview for a while. Still hopeful. Chemmy I know pretty well and it's a good idea. I assume she has her kids there too, but she must have some spare time!
latest report
iainm wrote:
I assume she has her kids there too, but she must have some spare time!

I don’t think she does. I thought I read in that amended BBC article that the kids were elsewhere and she was sacrificing this winter with them for her dream job.
snow conditions
@ster, Think the BBC article said that Dougie and the kids were in Flaine, could film there to get some snow in the background.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy