Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French lifts to open start of Spring 2021 ?

Poster: A snowHead
Had confirmation friday that our mont blanc season pass refund has been accepted
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
davidof wrote:
Lockdown from this Thursday.

https://www.lejdd.fr/Politique/troisieme-confinement-ce-nest-plus-quune-question-de-jours-4020527

Not definitive, but worryingly probable..........
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I just got a confirmation email regarding a refund for my Serres Chevalier's season pass...didn't ask for it. Resort season is not happening. I have been great just touring, but another lockdown sounds brutal Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Android2000, Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Apparently confinement not happening yet and Macron has postponed his next TV address ...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Android2000, that’s great.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
Apparently confinement not happening yet and Macron has postponed his next TV address ...

I suspect they may be looking at the Netherlands and will know that will happen across France if another lockdown is seen as unneccesary by the people
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Nelbert75, they were talking about it on the execrable BFM this morning and suggesting that that sort of shocking behaviour was not “in the French character”

Shocked Shocked

I think it somewhat is!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sucette wrote:
Oh and yes, rumour has it round here that the reason behind the slow french vaccination program is the authorities deliberately dragging their feet to give the Institut Pasteur more time to roll out their own vaccine... it would seem the french want a home-made jab !!!
Who knows... although through my experience with all things french, I wouldn't put it past them !! rolling eyes

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/26/french-self-esteem-hit-after-pasteur-institute-abandons-covid-vaccine
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ringingmaster wrote:
sucette wrote:
Oh and yes, rumour has it round here that the reason behind the slow french vaccination program is the authorities deliberately dragging their feet to give the Institut Pasteur more time to roll out their own vaccine... it would seem the french want a home-made jab !!!
Who knows... although through my experience with all things french, I wouldn't put it past them !! rolling eyes

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/26/french-self-esteem-hit-after-pasteur-institute-abandons-covid-vaccine

“It is not acceptable that our best researchers, the most brilliant of our researchers, are sucked up by the American system,” Bayrou added (Macron ally).

Meanwhile the left say:

Bastien Lachaud, an MP for the hard-left La France Insoumise, was equally withering. “No vaccine in the country of Pasteur! What a symbol. This is where the impoverishing of public research, the primacy of the private sector and the triumph of management and profit are leading,”

I am keeping my own council, and saving it all for a book on working in a French research lab Very Happy Toofy Grin snowHead Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Macron ... le chihuahua of Europe. Poodle of Merkel, has no bark when there is no master's voice. Poooof ....... le vaccine disparru. rolling eyes

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/macron-faces-national-humiliation-as-french-firm-abandons-coronavirus-jab-development/ar-BB1d7ber?ocid=entnewsntp

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 27-01-21 8:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@skimastaaah, Laughing I'm imagining Boris as the old english sheepdog now!! Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The French are probably not that happy with another French export "Pascal Soriot".

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/26/head-of-astrazeneca-confirms-uk-has-prior-claim-on-vaccine
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@KathE, Please don't compare Boris to an old English sheep dog. The man has no pedigree!! Toofy Grin Although plenty of chums apparently... Confused Very Happy
snow conditions
Cabinet meeting today to discuss lockdown measures but the Dutch protests and warning from economists that France can't afford a new lockdown do seem to have had a moderating effect.
snow conditions
@skimastaaah, @KathE, It is noted that in the canine world poodles are regarded as fairly intelligent, whereas old english sheepdogs pretty thick and of course useless.

I am amazed how much Pasteur is revered in France. Has anyone ever come a Edward Jenner avenue or John Snow street in the UK. Both did much more to increase life expectancy than Pasteur (in the case of Snow very much more) but are unknown by a surprising large number of people in the UK.
ski holidays
@johnE, Unfortunately most youth will think of Game of Thrones
snow conditions
@johnE,

You live and learn - Thought of two other John Snow's before I looked it up!!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Snow

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 27-01-21 11:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@johnE, Regarding John Snow we did something more British to remember him - we named a pub after him on Broadwick Street! The John Snow Society meets there. York, his birthplace, finally caught up in 2017 when the Civic Trust built a memorial in North St Park close to his birthplace. But yes, he does not get the recognition he deserves.
snow report
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/26/coronavirus-vaccine-supply-problems-could-see-dutch-violence-repeated-in-rest-of-eu
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
@skimastaaah, @KathE, It is noted that in the canine world poodles are regarded as fairly intelligent, whereas old english sheepdogs pretty thick and of course useless.

I am amazed how much Pasteur is revered in France. Has anyone ever come a Edward Jenner avenue or John Snow street in the UK. Both did much more to increase life expectancy than Pasteur (in the case of Snow very much more) but are unknown by a surprising large number of people in the UK.

Pasteur is revered because he worked out why red wine turns to vinegar and pioneered pasteurization.

A shout out for Benjamin Jesty who predated Jenner with vaccination for smallpox. He's well known.... in Dorset and particularly Yetminster and Worth Mattravers.

John Snow is famous for removing the pump handle in London that was supplying locals with cholera infected water.
latest report
@johnE, the the thick sheepdog was 3 months ahead in thinking about the vaccines. The EU are way behind with less than 2% population vaccination.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/german-media-savages-eu-for-vaccine-shambles-an-advert-for-brexit/ar-BB1d8eo7

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/german-media-savages-eu-for-vaccine-shambles-an-advert-for-brexit/ar-BB1d8eo7?fullscreen=true#image=7

Being months behind the UK in terms of population vaccination will mean the French ski resorts will be shut for at least the next 3 months.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/brexiteers-claim-eu-vaccine-chaos-proves-brexit-was-right-decision/ar-BB1d86XZ?item=flights%3Aprg-enterpriseblended-t%2C1s-ent-microsoft&ocid=entnewsntp

Edit to add that Astra Zenica have just pulled out of meeting with EU officials regarding vaccination production for EU countries. Calls for both sides to publish the agreed contract for transparency. Looks like France/EU vaccine availability will be only 60% of initial expectation.
latest report
@davidof, Isn't that just how the French make their wine? Very Happy
latest report
@skimastaaah, An actual #BrexitDividend?
latest report
MorningGory wrote:
@davidof, Isn't that just how the French make their wine? Very Happy

You'd think so with some of the wine !
ski holidays
MorningGory wrote:
@skimastaaah, An actual #BrexitDividend?

Couldn't make it up, could one? A Brexit bonus, with Van de Leyen ordering AZ to meet commitments with thinly veiled threats to UK exports. Bear in mind she herself is responsible for the junk EU AZ orders that were 3 months late, with some of this destined for France (which now has worst vaccination rate in EU). https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covid-vaccination-doses-per-capita?tab=chart&stackMode=absolute&time=latest&region=World
snow conditions
@skimastaaah, Am I correct that AZ is a UK company? In which case I think they have the leading hand!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chamrousse is packing up the ski area for the end of season. Protection and ski run markings are coming down.
ski holidays
MorningGory wrote:
@skimastaaah, Am I correct that AZ is a UK company? In which case I think they have the leading hand!

British-Swedish But HQ in Cambridge

The Quid pro quo is that EU may not allow the shipment of Pfizer to the UK in return.
latest report
Les Deux Alpes have published plans for February holidays. Fairly similar to Christmas/New Year with touring routes, a piste down, cross country track, hiking/snowshoeing tracks, kids activities, etc. Obviously predicated on not being confined.
snow conditions
ringingmaster wrote:
MorningGory wrote:

The Quid pro quo is that EU may not allow the shipment of Pfizer to the UK in return.

I thought they were a uk/swiss company, their origins go back to ICI, showing my age now rolling eyes
ski holidays
@robs1, Imperial Chemical Industry ............. Yikes, that's a 1960's set up.

France is way behind in getting set up for the 21st Century. And the EU is 3 months behind the curve for getting the AZ vaccine. Hence the posturing today!!!!!!

QED ............ No skiing in France this season! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
davidof wrote:
Chamrousse is packing up the ski area for the end of season. Protection and ski run markings are coming down.

Sad Sad
ski holidays
robs1 wrote:
ringingmaster wrote:
MorningGory wrote:

I thought they were a uk/swiss company, their origins go back to ICI, showing my age now rolling eyes

Half right!
Zeneca was the former ICI pharmaceuticals business
Astra was a SWEDISH pharma company
They merged.
Zeneca used to based in Cheshire but fairly recently moved to Cambridge because of access to life sciences talent.
The UK chemical industry (of which ICI was of course a major part) was and still is heavily based in the NW and on Teeside for a variety of reasons which is why Zeneca used to be based in NW.
snow report
BTW there is another company - Syngenta - which is in origin UK/SWISS. It is in agrichemicals and the British part was the former ICI crop science division. That may have mislead you
snow report
@jedster, Yeah, my BiL worked at the Cheshire site for many years and was made redundant when they moved. Seems to be doing nicely as a self employed 'bio-science consultant' these days!
snow conditions
jedster wrote:
robs1 wrote:
ringingmaster wrote:
MorningGory wrote:

Half right!
Zeneca was the former ICI pharmaceuticals business
Astra was a SWEDISH pharma company
They merged.
Zeneca used to based in Cheshire but fairly recently moved to Cambridge because of access to life sciences talent.
The UK chemical industry (of which ICI was of course a major part) was and still is heavily based in the NW and on Teeside for a variety of reasons which is why Zeneca used to be based in NW.

Not sure why I thought they were swiss must have read it somewhere, but must have been wrong, we used ici ferts for many years and use syngenta chems these days.
snow conditions
Originally, I guess originally ICI location was during was all about raw materials: Cheshire - salt. Teesside- petrochems and so on.

Now it's more about Life science brainpower, so Cambridge.
ski holidays
Heck, just realised this thread is about French Ski lifts.

Palafour!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy