Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French lifts to open start of Spring 2021 ?

Poster: A snowHead
stefoy4me wrote:
No, for any trips to the Alps this season they would really need to ramp up the volume of vaccinations.

OR

allow entry if you have proof of vaccine.......a negative test would not be enough as you could catch it whist there and pass on

I don't think the EU has approved the Oxford/AZ vaccine yet, so I'm guessing that proof of vaccination by it wouldn't get you much skiing in the Alps as yet. Sad
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
https://www.lemonde.fr/economie/article/2021/01/18/covid-19-vers-une-non-reouverture-des-stations-de-ski-en-fevrier_6066714_3234.html?utm_campaign=Lehuit&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR3Mn-vTxx5vait1O3pnA-VzQOegh38POxvmKWii9TKXrKbDR9aW9RkUEHs

Lifts not opening in Feb
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I don't think the EU has approved the Oxford/AZ vaccine yet, so I'm guessing that proof of vaccination by it wouldn't get you much skiing in the Alps as yet

And as I heard a WHO rep say on the radio today, as they don't yet know whether vaccination will stop people transmitting the virus, vaccination passports are not on the horizon anywhere at this point.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
timlongs wrote:
https://www.lemonde.fr/economie/article/2021/01/18/covid-19-vers-une-non-reouverture-des-stations-de-ski-en-fevrier_6066714_3234.html?utm_campaign=Lehuit&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR3Mn-vTxx5vait1O3pnA-VzQOegh38POxvmKWii9TKXrKbDR9aW9RkUEHs

Lifts not opening in Feb

Probably not opening this season in France. The Mayor of la Plagne, Jean-Luc Boch, was talking to the govt. today and the discussions now have moved onto what the compensation will be for the resorts rather than when they will open.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof wrote:
Probably not opening this season in France.
Sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kenzie wrote:

I don't think the EU has approved the Oxford/AZ vaccine yet, so I'm guessing that proof of vaccination by it wouldn't get you much skiing in the Alps as yet. Sad

Astra Zenica hasn't even asked for EU approval yet apparently. I think the French govt. needs to be a bit more proactive with this. India is making the AZ vaccine under license and there is no reason this couldn't be done in France although some French commentators say the French govt. should just "pirate" the vaccines as a public interest gesture - I can see that working well.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
davidof wrote:
Probably not opening this season in France.
Sad

Well if they don't open in Feb what would the motivation to open at all, if they were allowed? Resorts are almost turning at a loss by mid March.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof wrote:
Well if they don't open in Feb what would the motivation to open at all, if they were allowed?
I agree, just sad to see the increasing likelihood that the lifts won't turn this winter.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@davidof, Interesting. I heard Dominique Marcel interviewed on the radio FranceInfo this evening ( PDG of the CDA - Compagnie des Alpes - who run countless resorts including Serre Che... ) He was still pleading for the lifts to be opened on/by 6th Feb and said that compensation won't cover their costs.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dauphine Libere are trailing the same story to prepare the ground.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Friends and co. out of France are actually mentioning how they can appreciate (for lack of a better word) the current lockdown/curfew situation as long as it permits them to return to a semblance of normal life and not a third lockdown. Who knows, maybe the insane rules will actually work and lifts will open...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar wrote:
davidof wrote:
Well if they don't open in Feb what would the motivation to open at all, if they were allowed?
I agree, just sad to see the increasing likelihood that the lifts won't turn this winter.

Perhaps the late season dynamics might be somewhat different this year. There will be a lot of pent up demand by then.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ringingmaster wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
davidof wrote:

Perhaps the late season dynamics might be somewhat different this year. There will be a lot of pent up demand by then.

The late season may be a full lockdown. Lockdown #3 is being discussed by the PM openly.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ringingmaster wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
davidof wrote:

If the lifts open in march every skier is likely to want to go I would gave thought, it would be like half term on steroids.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Le Dauphiné running with the story of extending the closure of the ski lifts......as always according to government sources.

As discussed the decision will be taken tomorrow morning.
snow report
robs1 wrote:
If the lifts open in march every skier is likely to want to go I would gave thought, it would be like half term on steroids.
Except for all those families who are only able to go on a ski holiday during school vacations.
snow conditions
apparently Le Monde ...saying no lifts this season
snow report
@stefoy4me, yup... just read it... looks like it's game over for this winter... Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
If lifts don't open for 1/2term then its probably not economically viable to open the lifts at all, aside of what the rules are in place.
snow report
Can someone paste the link to the Le Monde article? Or a photo if reading a paper copy?
snow report
@Flet©h, https://www.lemonde.fr/economie/article/2021/01/18/covid-19-vers-une-non-reouverture-des-stations-de-ski-en-fevrier_6066714_3234.html
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
robs1 wrote:
Except for all those families who are only able to go on a ski holiday during school vacations.

Obviously, but all those that go from mid dec to half term plus all those that normally go in march could be squashed into three weeks.

If the reports are accurate then it does look like nothing will happen this season anyway.
ski holidays
@telford_mike, thanks
snow conditions
Oh dear, it doesn't sound like good news does it if it's going that way. There is no way the lifts are opening for 6th February, not a chance in hell.
latest report
Will resorts stay open if the lifts will only turn after schools go back on the 8th of March?
Would leave 6ish weeks of the season.
ski holidays
The season is dead. I'd prepared my self that I won't be skiing this season back in October!

Sadly looking like I was right. Glad I spent the holiday cash on a new MTB now. Had lots of use so far!
snow report
France faces tough months ahead with ski lifts and restaurants set to stay closed

A more infectious coronavirus variant is expected to spread rapidly through France in the coming month, hospital chiefs said on Wednesday, raising fears of another lockdown as hopes faded that ski lifts and restaurants could reopen soon.

A government source told Reuters news agency that ski lifts would most likely remain closed until the end of the season.

Telegraph
ski holidays
Finding it hard to find info today that's official and definitive (though I agree with the above as regards what's likely). This, best I could find.

"Les remontées mécaniques dans les stations de ski resteront à l'arrêt pour les vacances de février, a tranché le Premier ministre Jean Castex, avant le Conseil de défense mercredi 20 janvier au matin, d'après les informations de franceinfo."

"The ski lifts in the ski resorts will remain stationary for the February holidays, Prime Minister Jean Castex ruled, before the Defense Council on Wednesday January 20 in the morning, according to information from franceinfo."

https://www.francetvinfo.fr/economie/emploi/metiers/restauration-hotellerie-sports-loisirs/covid-19-l-ouverture-des-remontees-mecaniques-dans-les-stations-de-ski-toujours-pas-d-actualite_4264867.html
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This came up on the news ticker in Le Dauphine, cut and paste as I suspect it will vanish!

13h28 : Stations de ski ? "Je laisse le ministre de l'Economie l'occasion de l'annoncer au secteur concerné d'ici la fin de la semaine"

Gabriel Attal a expliqué n'avoir aucun élément à communiquer sur la question des remontées mécaniques des stations de ski.

"Je laisse le ministre de l'Economie l'occasion de l'annoncer au secteur concerné d'ici la fin de la semaine", a indiqué le porte-parole du gouvernement aux journalistes, à la sortie du Conseil des ministres.

Selon une source gouvernementale à RTL, une réouverture des remontées mécaniques des stations de ski au printemps est envisagée, mais aucune date fixe n'est donnée.

Looks like a game of pass the parcel with bad news to me, looks like they may find out on Friday.
latest report
"According to a government source at RTL, a reopening of the ski lifts of the ski resorts in the spring is envisaged, but no fixed date is given."

Fingers crossed.
snow report
Spring is defined as March 21st until June 21st !!
snow report
@thunderer, Fine by me - I'm booked from 27th March Cool
latest report
NickYoung wrote:
"According to a government source at RTL, a reopening of the ski lifts of the ski resorts in the spring is envisaged, but no fixed date is given."

Fingers crossed.

After the 1st w/e of April has been advanced as a date by government sources.

The 7th of March would also have some logic as it is the end of the French winter holiday period.

Jean-Baptiste Lemoyne, secretary of state for tourism says lifts almost certainly won't open this season.
latest report
@davidof, Yeah, it wasn't me who put a date on it (Spring), but my fingers are staying crossed!

Hope springs eternal.
ski holidays
https://www.thelocal.fr/20210120/french-ski-resorts-may-stay-closed-for-rest-of-winter-government-warns?fbclid=IwAR1hEnPqyYISH23IXeT97E4RUNJ76VA3_Bvmnnq0qQSfPzEIaTTS49i28eo
snow report
Not going to happen.
snow conditions
NickYoung wrote:
@thunderer, Fine by me - I'm booked from 27th March Cool

Fin by me as well.....am booked 4 Apr.....that said whether we will be allowed to travel is a completely different story!
ski holidays
Love the thread title change Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:
Not going to happen
Perhaps unlikely - but still possible...We need to cling on to hope. It's all we have left. Confused
ski holidays
@FrediKanoute, Don't spoil it with details - keep the dream alive!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy