Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French lifts to open start of Spring 2021 ?

Poster: A snowHead
@jebroni3_16,
Quote:
What's basketmania?!

Encouraged by #fakenews in the press people thought they could buy 10 quid Lidl trainers and sell them for 10 grand on ebay.

Even the scallies were taken in by it: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/shoppers-beg-lidl-bring-trainers-19293370
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sucette wrote:
@davidof, that's a great photo !

Correncon en Vercors, it is a metaphore.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Message from SATA this morning

MESSAGE DE LA SATA LES 2 ALPES
Chers partenaires,
Compte tenu de la situation et du manque d’information sur les aides gouvernementales potentielles, SATA Groupe réduit son périmètre d’exploitation aux 2 Alpes en maintenant au minima l’entretien du domaine et l’offre ski de compétition jusqu’aux annonces du 20/01 fixant l’ouverture au 30/01 ou la non ouverture.
Nous maintenons à ce jour la sécurisation des espaces aménagés en mutualisant nos pisteurs dédiés au ski de compétition les jours d’ouverture du stade : mercredi, vendredi et samedi uniquement.
Nous travaillons avec tous les acteurs de la station pour imaginer et financer une activité sur les vacances de février.
Nous vous tiendrons informés de l’évolution de la situation,
Les Equipes SATA 2 Alpes

‎MESSAGE FROM THE SATA LES 2 ALPES‎
‎Dear Partners,‎
‎Given the situation and the lack of information on potential government aid, SATA Group is reducing its operating scope to the 2 Alps by maintaining at a minimum the maintenance of the domain and the ski ski competition offer until the announcements of 20/01 setting the opening to 30/01 or not opening.‎
‎To this day, we maintain the security of the spaces provided by pooling our ski racing trackers on the opening days of the stadium: Wednesday, Friday and Saturday only.‎
‎We work with all the players of the resort to imagine and finance an activity on the February holidays.‎
‎We will keep you informed of developments,‎
‎SaTA Teams 2 Alps‎
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof wrote:
@jebroni3_16,
Quote:
What's basketmania?!

Encouraged by #fakenews in the press people thought they could buy 10 quid Lidl trainers and sell them for 10 grand on ebay.

Even the scallies were taken in by it: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/shoppers-beg-lidl-bring-trainers-19293370

Laughing

That's brilliant. Thanks @davidof
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jebroni3_16 wrote:
davidof wrote:
@jebroni3_16,
Quote:
What's basketmania?!

Laughing

here you go

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scarpe-LIDL-LIVERGY-n-43-sneaker-Limited-Edition/274645213845?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200818143230%26meid%3D19da6c951cb440d18a92a3e54f68a3c3%26pid%3D101224%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D5%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D193756210245%26itm%3D274645213845%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DDefaultOrganic%26brand%3DLimited+Edition&_trksid=p2047675.c101224.m-1

bargain !

The missus thought I should pick some up when I was in Lidl (at Lidl prices), I told her there was a reason why the people with trolleys loaded with them live in a shanty town on the other side of the railway tracks, and it wasn't for the fresh air.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof wrote:
jebroni3_16 wrote:
davidof wrote:
@jebroni3_16,
Quote:
What's basketmania?!

Laughing

here you go

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scarpe-LIDL-LIVERGY-n-43-sneaker-Limited-Edition/274645213845?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200818143230%26meid%3D19da6c951cb440d18a92a3e54f68a3c3%26pid%3D101224%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D5%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D193756210245%26itm%3D274645213845%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DDefaultOrganic%26brand%3DLimited+Edition&_trksid=p2047675.c101224.m-1

bargain !

The missus thought I should pick some up when I was in Lidl (at Lidl prices), I told her there was a reason why the people with trolleys loaded with them live in a shanty town on the other side of the railway tracks, and it wasn't for the fresh air.

Am I missing something here? Do they come with a 100 grams of smack or something?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ringingmaster wrote:

Am I missing something here? Do they come with a 100 grams of smack or something?

No you are missing nothing, it was the people panic buying them by the trolley load who are missing something. At my local store they sold 500 pairs in 3 minutes ! It was pandemonium.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wow. Thats insane.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof wrote:
ringingmaster wrote:

No you are missing nothing, it was the people panic buying them by the trolley load who are missing something. At my local store they sold 500 pairs in 3 minutes ! It was pandemonium.

A quick Ebay 'completed items' search shows they are selling for about £50 -- which is still a nice profit !!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Do Lidl sell tulip bulbs? wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It will be intersting to see what happens to the Greek proposal to allow tourists with proof of vacination into the country. It appears to be opposed by the likes of France who are insisting on a minimum of 7 days isolation and negative Covid tests.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Estimates are that it will take France 17 weeks to give a first vaccine to all over 75s. I wouldn't expect herd immunity anytime soon.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chocksaway wrote:
Do Lidl sell tulip bulbs? wink

it is like that, only you can't eat a trainer.

In fairness to the future millionaires the press whipped the whole thing into a frenzy with tales (#fakenews) of people getting rich beyond the dreams of avarice selling tatty Lidl trainers.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So where do the French propose people isolate. Can they do it where they were headed?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof wrote:
Estimates are that it will take France 17 weeks to give a first vaccine to all over 75s. I wouldn't expect herd immunity anytime soon.

Was just speaking to another (nominally educated) parent outside the school. They claimed that they want to wait five years before getting vaccinated, "in case it affects fertility". May well be the case that happens anyway for our age group, the speed things are going!
ski holidays
JamesHJ wrote:
davidof wrote:

Was just speaking to another (nominally educated) parent outside the school. They claimed that they want to wait five years before getting vaccinated, "in case it affects fertility". May well be the case that happens anyway for our age group, the speed things are going!

A secret governing force using a vaccination to control world population through impacting fertilization... sounds like the plotline to many a good book/film/tv series.
snow conditions
On a positive note, my parents in law have dates for their vaccinations at the start of February. On a negative note, there are no supplies of vaccine at the moment but the lady at the center assures us they will be there for the dates given.
ski holidays
I am surprised France is moving so much slower.

Found this with some interesting live-ish data on rates per country.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations
ski holidays
Quote:

I suspect they are of the opinion that dying of Covid doesn't affect fertility. There are definately some weird people about.
snow conditions
Quote:
I suspect they are of the opinion that dying of Covid doesn't affect fertility

Laughing
latest report
ringingmaster wrote:

why?
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
ringingmaster wrote:

why?

Only that I thought there would b similar urgency in every country, leading to similar approach, and similar throughput.
latest report
ringingmaster wrote:
davidof wrote:
ringingmaster wrote:

why?

Only that I thought there would b similar urgency in every country, leading to similar approach, and similar throughput.

There is similar urgency, just a state sector that can't cope. Or as the mayor of Paris said "if the French had organised D day they'd still be on the beach"
snow report
I really wish the French would hurry the hell up with the vaccines! I wanted to at least plan some stuff for the Summer, but even that feels unlikely now. I don't know if other EU countries/elsewhere will ban the non-vaccinated?
snow report
News from Tignes suggests many ESF schools across France doing a coordinated torchlight descent at 1730 tomorrow as a form of protest against resort closures.

Edit, just popped up in the Daub,

https://www.ledauphine.com/societe/2021/01/15/covid-19-l-esf-sort-les-flambeaux-avant-le-couvre-feu
latest report
I'm amazed at how many cars were still on the road at 21:15 as I waited (hiding) to cross the road Laughing

On a more serious note, now a tad concerned that I've not seen my neighbours about, he was the local village GP (Varziniak) and not seen his Disco since I've been back nor his wife, both must be in their 80's and no lights on in the house as I walked back Sad
snow conditions
The French govt backed the Sanofi vaccine. It failed the tests and as a result we are where we are in France. As a result the rest of Europe, except the Germans who understandably wanted to buy the Pfizer vaccine, are also in short supply. Hence the slow pace of vaccination.
snow conditions
zzz wrote:
The French govt backed the Sanofi vaccine. It failed the tests and as a result we are where we are in France. As a result the rest of Europe, except the Germans who understandably wanted to buy the Pfizer vaccine, are also in short supply. Hence the slow pace of vaccination.

Obviously not quite in the esprit républicain, but has anyone heard any sniff of buying vaccines? Not something for now, but if they haven't reached the bulk of the population by summer...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
maybe a word of praise for Boris and his vaccine strategy , we are way ahead of the rest of the EU
ski holidays
As @JamesHJ, said, what are they doing about it? If the Pfizer vaccine is now going to be in short supply surely they should be moving heaven and earth to get vaccines from elsewhere. Or will a Gallic shrug suffice?
latest report
qwatts...absolutely, we are only behind Israel & UAE for vaccinations per 100k.

He has a job from hell.......who would want the job of PM. Labour sneer and take pot shots from the sidelines without ever having any real credible plan, just to try and score political points

A delicate balancing act, that will never satisfy all sides.....
snow report
esaw1 wrote:
As @JamesHJ, said, what are they doing about it? If the Pfizer vaccine is now going to be in short supply surely they should be moving heaven and earth to get vaccines from elsewhere. Or will a Gallic shrug suffice?

It doesnt really work like that, there is a europe (and uk) wide throttle on the pfizer supply just now due to work at their belgian manufacturing plant so I dont think there is an "elsewhere" even if you are German.

They say that Q1 deliveries will still happen, but perhaps not in the linear fashion that was anticipated by some.

The only other vaccine available in the EU is Moderna, no idea what supply is like, but certainly wont be as plentiful as the AZ one over here.
ski holidays
gwatts10 wrote:
maybe a word of praise for Boris and his vaccine strategy , we are way ahead of the rest of the EU

I am actually quite proud of the UK, despite being hacked off with the place for other (I won't say it!) reasons. Makes you realise that the media perspective seen by expats is not the whole story.
latest report
Quote:

He has a job from hell

Indeed, shame he is no where near compentent to do it. He only does anything once the opposition (or football players) have told him to do it and then weeks too late.
Quote:

I am actually quite proud of the UK

For having one of the highest infection rates and highest death rates in the world? As above earlier and stronger actions would have saved lots of lives.
snow conditions
The PM deserves no praise whatsoever. Praise should go to the scientists and SAGE experts, long-suffering local authority civil servants and NHS staff and overwhelmed ICU personnel. And epidemiologists and laboratory staff who worked 7x24 to get the vaccine field tested and certified. And teachers. And my nurse friend Teresa who has also been working 7 days/week helping to set up and run the local surgery vaccination centre. And all this with the likes of the Telegraph printing that people who've had the common cold 'will be immune' and that London 'is probably approaching herd immunty' and refusing to publish a retraction, even now.
ski holidays
Ah, yet another thread that digressed to local politics and COVID. Smile

With all the countries going into different levels of advanced lockdown (from curfews to whatever else), I'm wondering if March is still a sort of safe time to go skiing. Because it seems that this more recent strain has taken a lot by surprise, and France is pushing it further all the time.
snow report
Quote:

I am actually quite proud of the UK,

Probably a rare breed these days snowHead
snow conditions
Guys there's apres for Boris bitching can we keep this to French facts.
snow conditions
https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/france-s-covid-response-is-a-source-of-national-shame
snow report
@mitcva, thanks but I don’t want to register or subscribe to The Spectator.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy