Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flaine/Avoriaz/Alpe D'huez or other?

Poster: A snowHead
Mjit wrote:
Or just realised you could also catch the other free ski bus from Morzine->Ardent, gondola up and either meet people for lunch in the Ardent bowl, or take the short walk down to "the goat village", a cluster of posher restaurants.

If still thinking about Avoriaz, given moderate fitness and good footwear you could walk over to the goat village for lunch in +/- an hour. Perhaps a bit longer coming back, uphill, full of too much Savoyard fare and red wine.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great insights.

After reading peoples comments and researching a bit I'm now torn between Avoriaz, Les Gets and La Clusaz.
So will just have to plump for one.

The next issue is whether to book a package now, then its done and dusted, and hope things are better by next Jan. Or book flights and leave resort/accom till later in the year.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From a France perspective personally think Les Deux Alpes is great for kids if you can stay near the slopes at the base of the mountain . . .easy progression and a lot of variety. They can also (if confident enough) then progress right to the top of the mountain where its also easy - as a topsy turvy resort this gives them the 'full' mountain experience but without the tricky areas / slopes to navigate in between - the other benefit is they can easily get the lift back down again . . .

Would also say Montgenevre is good for kids / families - some very easy skiing and wide greens that are also 'up' the mountain rather than just at the base . . .if you can get over to Italy (as a family) the lunch bill is also significantly cheaper / tastier . . .
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Brooky wrote:
After reading peoples comments and researching a bit I'm now torn between Avoriaz, Les Gets and La Clusaz.

I wouldn't sweat it on the choice of those - because you've done the right thing and narrowed it down three that would work well. You could go to any and have a good holiday. What matters now is purely execution.

Brooky wrote:
The next issue is whether to book a package now, then its done and dusted, and hope things are better by next Jan. Or book flights and leave resort/accom till later in the year.

Mid to late Jan is as low season it gets (enjoy while the child is not school age!!) so no need to sweat it. If going for a package either book early (taking advantages of early bird discounts) or late (10 days or less before) depending on your mindset/situation. If DIY book flights as early as possible, booking accommodation will give you more choice but won't change the price much, if you need any child care, school start looking at that. Given Covid things are a bit less normal in a lots of ways - if you are unsure just wait. Whatever happens going at that time there will be plenty of options close to the date.

You seem to be settled on flying to Geneva and not driving/flying elsewhere. Are you located somewhere that makes this a restriction?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks @Layne, .
I'm not too concerned, however I think package prices are a bit higher than I would expect for that time, poss due a lot of cancelled holidays just being deferred for 12 months and in effect booking up a lot of availability early on.
As you say though there should be plenty of choice for chosen dates.

North West England so not ideal for driving, however I spose it's worth consideration.

Not set on Geneva, but a lot of other resorts seem to be served by Chambery, which I have read a lot of criticism about on this forum, and indeed had a bad experience there albeit a number of years ago. Just wary of a 12 hour delay with kids! I know Geneva can also be chaotic and I've experienced an hour or 2 delay here and there but doesn't seem to get the stick Chambery does.
You may tell me not too worry. Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Belch, thanks for suggestions
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Brooky wrote:
Thanks @Layne, .
I'm not too concerned, however I think package prices are a bit higher than I would expect for that time, poss due a lot of cancelled holidays just being deferred for 12 months and in effect booking up a lot of availability early on.

Market is weird at the minute. And there are so many if's, but's and maybe's. Theory goes that demand is high (everybody chomping at the bit to get out next season) and supply low (lot of businesses having gone to the wall) but I don't buy that. Financial realities will limit the demand and shell properties/businesses can/will kick in to meet the demand IMO. Either way a watching brief will do no harm I'm sure.

Brooky wrote:
North West England so not ideal for driving, however I spose it's worth consideration.

Plenty do it but sure it helps to be closer to channel. Can have it's advantages for self catering and with young children. Also depends if you have a decent car. But given your location and you only have one perhaps simpler to fly.

Brooky wrote:
Not set on Geneva, but a lot of other resorts seem to be served by Chambery, which I have read a lot of criticism about on this forum, and indeed had a bad experience there albeit a number of years ago. Just wary of a 12 hour delay with kids! I know Geneva can also be chaotic and I've experienced an hour or 2 delay here and there but doesn't seem to get the stick Chambery does.

I haven't flown to skiing loads - certainly not recently but yep I've read the stuff about Chambery. Was thinking more about Austria/Italy aswell. I ski mostly in France myself but other countries have their plus sides - some people don't like France at all, in comparison.

Brooky wrote:
You may tell me not too worry. Laughing

Nothing wrong with a bit of "worry" - just unnecessary worry that can be an issue Smile snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another vote for Les Carroz - all part of the GM, so you can ski over to Flaine and into all of the other resorts. Ours learnt to ski with the ESF Piou Piou Club and were moved into regular ESF ski school as soon as they deemed it suitable. The Piou Piou is on a flat area that you can ski past as you come off Timalets as you head back down and can be accessed via magic carpet as well. Once they are happy with how they are progressing they move them up the mtn via the telecabine onto the wider dedicated green slope. It is a sight to behold to watch them all waddling behind a ski instructors pulling all the skis on a little sledge. Plenty to do in LC if one of you does not want to ski each day, as it is a real village with shops, coffee places, supermarkets and a weekly market. A weekly activity guide is available at the tourism offices that lists all of the activities inc shows in the main square. Not a hopping resort for apres ski but family friendly. Plenty of self-catering accommodation. Limited ski in ski out but we were always able to cope with twins, their equipment and ours on the ski bus. Flaine is great skiing but not much for the little ones to do after dark and colder at night than LC. Less than an hour to Geneva
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Cheesie168, sounds like another good resort, worthy of consideration.

@Layne, yes open to Austria, Italy but was trying to simplify it by not including too many destinations.

I've skied mainly France over the years so more than happy to look elsewhere, and loved Austria last year which was our 1st family trip. One thing pushing me towards France is the abundance of SC, as we stayed half board last year and thought it would be easier to SC with the kids next time.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Brooky wrote:
@harrim51, I totally agree. On our first family trip to skiwelt Austria last year the initial thought of bus to gondola, gondola up to ski school with 2 young 1st timers was daunting, but lockers up at top of gondola made it fairly easy. Having said that I would be more than happy with ski in/out.

No clearer on where to go after listening to everyone, just perhaps have a different shortlist.
La Clusaz sounds better value and I know it's very easy to get to as I've passed near by several times on way to Chamonix. How does it compare to some of the others with young kids please? Ie. Nursery slopes around village etc.

From what I recall when we went with our sons for the first time, there was a Piou Piou club at the lift base and quite a few runs at the top of the Beauregard lift.

My wife is a non skier and we tend to look for places where there is more of a village rather than a purpose built resort as there is generally more for my wife to do. She will meet us up on the mountain for lunch 1/2 times during the week, and will go for walks around the village or up on the trails, hence our visits to La Clusaz, Les Carroz x2, ADH x2, Vaujany x2, Chatel x2, Kirchberg, Serfaus and Ischgl over the last few years.

If your wife doesn't ski much and is likely to have a couple of days off, then perhaps look for more of a village than resort. Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Brooky wrote:

I'm not sure we'll actually see many bargin package trips this/next year, except maybe very last minute stuff. Everyone from the hotels/chalets to tour operators are looking at basically 50% income from 2019 and zero income from 2020 and will need to both cover the risk of limited income in 2021 and trying to dig their bank accounts out of the darkest shades of red. That said booked as a package you DO get full ATOL cover so have the comfort blanket of knowing you should get all your money back if the worst comes to the worst.

You might get some better deals booking direct as a single business, be it airline/chalet/transfer company/etc can react to "poo-poo, we don;t have any bookings!" without having to consult with the rest of the package chain...but you don't get ATOL cover so face more risk (though I'm seeing a lot of accomodation rentals offering full refunds if you cancel upto a month before your booking this year, in direct response to booker's covid caution).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I know Avoriaz, Les Gets and La Clusaz. I would vote Avoriaz for sheer convenience but the other two might suit non skiing day trips better. I'm not fan of Morzine as a place to stroll around.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My final sales pitch for Les Gets would be the Mont Chery slopes in Les Gets. If they were a standalone ski resort they will still be a great place for a holiday. And that is the beauty of them is they are not connected to the main Les Gets slope, but as a site on the other side out town (a wee ski train travels round the town to take you there).

A great selections of blue, red and black runs which are never ever busy but there are no bad runs and are near the top of the my favourite runs in les gets. There are also a couple of cracking restaurants there as well.

Also similar to others, I went to Les Gets by accident after many years skiing in Courchevel and took a pot luck late trip and fell in love with the place. It's also a great summer destination.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@knackered knees, thanks that is also my thinking.

@Mjit, yes I am leaning towards a package just for the simplicity, relative security, and not having several lines of enquiry to chase for refunds etc.

@ian999, thanks, I'm as confused as ever Laughing

@ronnierocket, yes I have looked into a summer break in this area and it looks fantastic, however might leave it a couple of years till kids may get more out of the wide range of activities on offer. Also, not sure if I could persuade the wife into 2 mountainous holidays a year so skiing has to win over summer! Laughing

Just as a wildcard, has anyone been with young family to Bansko, Bulgaria?

I have always told myself I wouldn't go to Bulgaria when there is so much more out there, but like many families we are more budget conscious at the moment and your money just seems to go so much further!

There would be ample skiing for wife and kids, and I suspect the larger the ski area the more of it I will miss out on due to getting back to skischool etc. The old town looks quite nice from what I've read but know very little about it if anyone had any experience?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Brooky, I've not been but from what I've read I wouldn't bring Bulgaria into your equation. And I'm as budget conscious as the next guy.
snow conditions
@Layne, I expect that will be the general consensus on here Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy