Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why I joined a ski forum

Poster: A snowHead
To share the joys of skiing...

Now when I come to my daily read of posts, virtually every thread gets side tracked onto COVID. (Yes of course it’s the most important thing going on in the world at the moment, but we all need to find moments to escape and restore our sense of well-being).

At the moment God forbid that anyone should post about an enjoyable day on the mountain, how they rate new kit, or how they are getting on with buying or renovating property. I’ve just realised that I’d had enough when a regular contributor was accused of “boasting”...about...... skiing...

I don’t see myself posting anymore, such is the level of carping, criticism and downright abuse on the forum.
Sad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's rampant what-about-ery. There is a lot of frustration out there and loss of perspective.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Perty, I have found this forum quite unpleasant at times since the Brexit vote. Essentially this is only due to a handful of posters whose behaviour can only be described as trolling. Covid has made a bad situation much worse. I totally understand that people feel frustrated that they cannot travel, as much as I sympathise with people whose future plans and lifestyles may have been adversely impacted by Brexit.

I don't have ski holidays any more, so some might say that I no longer have a "place" on this forum.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Perty, it doesn't help that most people aren't going skiing, or buying or renovating mountain properties... Sad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kindness...seems to be a much underrated virtue at the moment. I’d just like people to be kind to each other, be happy for those who are able to experience joy in life, empathise with those who are struggling..
Ho hum...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Perty wrote:
Kindness...seems to be a much underrated virtue at the moment. I’d just like people to be kind to each other, be happy for those who are able to experience joy in life, empathise with those who are struggling..
Ho hum...

Well said
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
queenie pretty please wrote:
I don't have ski holidays any more, so some might say that I no longer have a "place" on this forum.

I don't see it that way, afterall you still go skiing and give useful Information about the Salzburg area.

This is probably the one and only time that the people who have relocated to the mountains get time on the slopes without drunken tourists or having to work long hours while others ski. Their financial position is probably compromised as for many their income is linked to the outdoor sports industry. Moving country is not an easy decision and there are serious sacrifices (family & friend ties, financial, career, language issues etc). This isn't an easy time for anyone but I'd hope the expats would not be attacked for posting info and pics of them skiing this season. Live and let live an' all that.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Perty wrote:
Ho hum...

The counterpoint to the brexit/covid bile are the patient, often detailed responses that newbees receive when they ask a question. Yes, the usual suspects will launch into the 'do a search' thing. but most will give their time freely. It's not only a Snowheads thing either. There's a type of personality that knows everything, has friends and family on benefit who are obviously deserving unlike aall the others etc. I wonder what they are like on bashes?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Perty, couldn't agree more. There's enough doom and gloom in the world as it is, and whilst I too understand the frustrations of not being able to ski - we should be happy with the fact that we are all safe and healthy and will be able to enjoy the skiing when it does happen again. In the meantime I'm enjoying the valleys in ways I never have before - walking and seeing places skiing doesn't take you.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's a natural consequence that threads will turn to Covid as it is THE thing preventing most of us UK residents from skiing.

I'd ordinarily have near 20 days under my belt by now but this season nada. Most of the "boasting" stuff has been banter but I think that if people were to post deliberately with a "look what you losers are missing out on" tone while having done a Dom with their interpretation of Covid "rules" there's a reasonable case to say that's trolling.

It's not an easy time to be a ski forum. You can look at US ones and marvel at the lack of self awareness as "locals" bitch about too many tourists still coming to their hill and consequent non-Covid compliant behaviour or mask/ antimaskers or extreme freemarketeers or militancy about out of staters.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Perty, That's a shame, as I have always enjoyed your posts. But I understand, and rarely come here any more, for that same reason.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

we are all safe and healthy

If that's what you think, you probably should read a bit further, @KathE. Yes, there is some trolling but there is also - as there always has been, since long before Covid, a great deal of support for people who are suffering in various ways. The vast majority of posters create a safe space for people who are NOT safe and healthy and the discussion about Covid is mostly well-informed and interesting. There has been a good deal of well-informed discussion about Brexit too. I am content to filter out the crap.

Folk who want only to sing on sunlit and snowy uplands where Unicorns huck off cliffs might want to give the forum a miss, but for many of us it's still a good place to hang out.

Having said all that then of course, if Snowheads bring you down, best duck out. We are all different.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB wrote:
queenie pretty please wrote:

I don't see it that way, afterall you still go skiing and give useful Information about the Salzburg area.

This is probably the one and only time that the people who have relocated to the mountains get time on the slopes without drunken tourists or having to work long hours while others ski. Their financial position is probably compromised as for many their income is linked to the outdoor sports industry. Moving country is not an easy decision and there are serious sacrifices (family & friend ties, financial, career, language issues etc). This isn't an easy time for anyone but I'd hope the expats would not be attacked for posting info and pics of them skiing this season. Live and let live an' all that.

I think you've got that pretty accurately. I feel like I've hardly written anything about skiing recently, partly due to not going, and partly because it feels like as I am “lucky” to live here “showing off” about it isn't going to get me anything other than abuse Confused I think it's also not appreciated that while living in or near the mountains is generally quite pleasant, real life still throws up all those other issues you've listed, and you feel like you can't mention them because “it's alright for you, you can go skiing...”
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You can also get Radio 6 and purchase coffee flavoured bio yoghurt from a 24 hour vending machine so I don't see you have any grounds to complain wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DB wrote:
This isn't an easy time for anyone but I'd hope the expats would not be attacked for posting info and pics of them skiing this season.
Nothing I'm enjoying more than seeing people like BobinCh post photos and videos of his skiing so far this season. Long may it continue. The fact that my vicarious pleasure is underscored with a little envy doesn't detract, and certainly isn't reason to be critical of him posting his enjoyment.
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
... partly because it feels like as I am “lucky” to live here “showing off” about it isn't going to get me anything other than abuse Confused
For my part I want you to show off as much as possible, especially if accompanied by photos or video. Please!
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
]Nothing I'm enjoying more than seeing people like BobinCh post photos and videos of his skiing so far this season.

The idea we can get through this and go out there and beat him up is what keeps me going! Very Happy
ski holidays
Charliegolf wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
]Nothing I'm enjoying more than seeing people like BobinCh post photos and videos of his skiing so far this season.

The idea we can get through this and go out there and beat him up is what keeps me going! Very Happy
Laughing Well, there's that as well. But the challenge would be catching him on skis...
latest report
everyone is need of a good ski holiday to chill the Be Nice please! out Toofy Grin
Normally, ski forums are quiet during the summer, but with Brexit & Covid, its been busier than most winters.
Seems some people have fallen out over certain things where they would used to be bash buddies.

Apres Zone is very political & like religion, will always cause arguments.
snow report
Perty wrote:
I’ve just realised that I’d had enough when a regular contributor was accused of “boasting”...about...... skiing...
Sad

Is there much of that going on? I've not seen comments like that, other than from a few posters who often use my ownership of a ski apartment to make a clumsy cudgel with which to try to beat me on Brexit. But is there animosity towards people who are getting to ski at the moment? That's sad.
snow conditions
I have no problem with expats/immigrants posting about skiing, property or any thing they wish. I am delighted that my expat friends are getting the chance to ski....it shows some semblance of normality.

I also love reading about people's renovations and buying decisions.

It's the people who are looking for ways round rules/guidance ...call it what you like...or seem to think they are specials the rules don't apply to them that is so irritating.

I haven't been to my apartment for 9 months. I have had 3 planned trips cancelled or I chose not to travel. I am immensely grateful to queenie pretty please for giving me peace of mind by staying at my apartment when needed for insurance purposes. I hope I don't have to keep relying on this for too much longer but I simply couldn't countenance overseas travel for the foreseeable future.
snow conditions
Very different vibe here to that of SkiTalk, aka Pugski. SkiTslk seems to be a far more friendly and accepting forum, possibly because the moderators tend to jump pretty quickly on threads that look like they might get nasty. Possibly also because politics is banned.

Maybe also because it seems to be primarily a snow sports forum, with the social side secondary. Snowheads is almost the polar opposite.

Each has its place for me. If I want information on gear, set-ups, etc then SkiTalk is the go-to choice. It is also a fun place for light-hearted banter. Snowheads is a good source of info on Europe, where I ski, and I am able to contribute my knowledge of the Arlberg. For the most part, I find the “apres” threads cliquey and unwelcoming of contrary opinions, so I don’t read/post in them all that often. C’est la vie.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
I haven't been to my apartment for 9 months. I have had 3 planned trips cancelled or I chose not to travel. I am immensely grateful to queenie pretty please for giving me peace of mind by staying at my apartment when needed for insurance purposes. I hope I don't have to keep relying on this for too much longer but I simply couldn't countenance overseas travel for the foreseeable future.
I too have had a fellow snowHead pop in to my place to keep an eye on things. Massively grateful for this, and one of the wonderful things about the forum is that online friendship turns so easily to real life support. I ended up in an Austrian hospital a few winters ago, and within 30 minutes of posting news about my travails I had messages from two snowHeads offering whatever local help I might need.
snow conditions
@Perty, dont lose heart, there are some incredible people on here, you just need to filter out a few certain individuals. Maybe take a small break for a few weeks but dont leave.

I dont think its a problem just here, tensions are running high everywhere, yesterday for the first time I reported a post on FB, it upset me so much.
A 26year old British snowboarder died whilst off piste Gastein over the New Year, the comment section was shocking, comments like "serves him right" " what are the British doing here skiing when there is a national lockdown" " why do these idiots have to go off piste" etc, you get the idea.

I cant understand how we have become so incompassionate?
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
everyone is need of a good ski holiday to chill the out Toofy Grin
Normally, ski forums are quiet during the summer, but with Brexit & Covid, its been busier than most winters.
Seems some people have fallen out over certain things where they would used to be bash buddies.

Have you attended a bash? And if so, how many buddies did you make?
snow conditions
ulmerhutte wrote:
Very different vibe here to that of SkiTalk, aka Pugski. SkiTslk seems to be a far more friendly and accepting forum, possibly because the moderators tend to jump pretty quickly on threads that look like they might get nasty. Possibly also because politics is banned.

It's a very particular form of friendly and is to my mind overmodded. If your political views or other opinions align with those of the mods the limit is much more flexible. Also its been a nonsense trying to direct topics away from Covid and interupting flow of discussion because EVERYTHING ski related is Covid related at least in present and near future tenses.
latest report
Perty and Kooky - you are right to emphasise kindness and compassion and Kooky what you are reporting is shocking. I think some bits of SH may have been affected by a general syndrome apparent right now: a lack of self-regulation when people are sitting at a screen and not doing other things, not being in contact with others, and shouting a lot on line. This tendency is affecting my area of work as much as it is affecting SH; people may be using electronic communication more, but they frequently are less self-regulating and less thoughtful of others’ positions. I like well-mannnered disputation - it helps us get to the bottom of things and enhance human knowledge. By contrast, bad tempered shouting is not my bag, either. But raising the tone - and the level of thoughtfulness - will be promoted by you both participating, I think, if you feel able so to do.
snow report
@Perty, Keep posting. Talking here about skiing, about the places we know and offering and taking as much advice as possible helps me get through lockdown. I can see light at the end of the tunnel (as the chanel tunnel operator just said about the recent lorry back up). During the spring lockdown I couldn't envisage doing anything during the summer, but I still managed a 10 day trip to Les Arcs and 14 days to the Dolomites. I look at the livecams of Les Arcs and dream, maybe in April I'll have been vacinated and the snow will still be there.

I tend to skip the discussions about Brexit and Covid and the obvious nasty posts.

You have to admit though there has been a reduction in the "you must wear a helmet" and "people who don't have winter tyres are murderers" threads
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarlet wrote:
...... I feel like I've hardly written anything about skiing recently, partly due to not going, and partly because it feels like as I am “lucky” to live here “showing off .......

Says the person who phoned me on Christmas Day evening to tell me they'd been skiing fresh powder all day! rolling eyes
ski holidays
@Perty, please keep posting as otherwise how else am I to know which products to spam you with wink
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:

Indeed, and I understand that's why traditionally (and probably still now?) discussion of politics and religion was banned in the UK Armed Forces Officers Mess. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
ulmerhutte wrote:

It's a very particular form of friendly and is to my mind overmodded. If your political views or other opinions align with those of the mods the limit is much more flexible. Also its been a nonsense trying to direct topics away from Covid and interupting flow of discussion because EVERYTHING ski related is Covid related at least in present and near future tenses.

You've got to be some kind of extremist nutter to get banned from Pugski Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Scarlet wrote:
... partly because it feels like as I am “lucky” to live here “showing off” about it isn't going to get me anything other than abuse Confused
For my part I want you to show off as much as possible, especially if accompanied by photos or video. Please!

This, I almost certainly won't get to ski this season, but it doesn't stop me wanting to see others doing/enjoying/writing about the sport i love. I read the 'covid' threads as I find the information contained interesting and the arguments although sometimes heated certainly help me understand the bigger picture. Brexit as well is something that has happened and the discussions around it although can be tedious still contain some nuggets of information that.

However filtering out the dross can become tedious and I can understand @Perty getting fed up with it. I find imaging a 'annoying poster' sitting in their underpants, slightly frothing at the mouth of some perceived slight/disagreement on a forum puts it into perspective. Although I only do this rarely as the image can be quiet disturbing....
snow report
For those who don't want to see non-skiing related content, I think it's possible to hide the Apres-Ski sub-forum in your Forum Preferences so it doesn't appear in your list of new posts or forum searches. Wouldn't that reduce much of the clutter that some people don't want to ski?
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

Indeed, and I understand that's why traditionally (and probably still now?) discussion of politics and religion was banned in the UK Armed Forces Officers Mess. Madeye-Smiley

It is really important to keep talking, it would be a shame if the UK ended up as polarised as the USA. Blanket bans on discussing politics/religion etc are the first step towards that IMV.

Although there are many trolling posts on e.g. the Brexit threads, and much exasperation, I think I have learned a little about the opposite point of view. If people don't like these discussions they can just ignore them.

Apropos snowheads in general, I long ago learnt enough about gear, destinations etc. These topics are occasionally interesting for specific questions, but not what keeps me here. I like the forum as it attracts a range of interesting and educated people, and there are plenty of other expats. Looking forward to one day going on a bash!
ski holidays
Quote:

I have no problem with expats/immigrants posting about skiing, property or any thing they wish. I am delighted that my expat friends are getting the chance to ski....it shows some semblance of normality.

I also love reading about people's renovations and buying decisions.

It's the people who are looking for ways round rules/guidance ...call it what you like...or seem to think they are specials the rules don't apply to them that is so irritating.

@holidayloverxx, +1. This pretty well describes my views too.

I’d also include folk travelling around their home countries in contravention of the guidelines (which seemed fairly prevalent over the festivities). The virus doesn’t travel itself and it is annoying when you see some making less sacrifice than others, in all aspects of life, not just skiing.
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
ulmerhutte wrote:

You've got to be some kind of extremist nutter to get banned from Pugski Laughing Laughing

I got a temporary ban for suggesting that rather than circulating a begging post on a ski forum it might be reasonable for a person badly hurt while on a religious mission ( unrelated to skiing) might be supported by that church or perhaps have travel insurance. So yep extremist.
snow conditions
Things can get personal on here at times. That's why I deliberately avoid political and also Covid threads, as they to can degenerate into political arguments. I have also used all five of my filters to filter out the sad trolls.

I'll be honest and say that when I first came on here looking for advice about buying equipment, I got really frustrated when many of the people who replied seemed to fail to understand that a limited budget should be a limiting factor on what I could/should buy. Then over time, I realised skiing is not a cheap hobby and the failure of some people to consider budget as being a "primary" consideration when giving advice, was probably understandable.

A forum is a cross section of society. Some people you naturally gravitate towards for various reasons; others you dislike and others you wouldn't want to get stuck in the kitchen with them at parties. I try and ignore the people I don't like, but accept the feeling is probably mutual. Such is life.
ski holidays
Well, @Perty, you and this thread have spurred me on and lifted my mood, even if the opposite might be expected. This is my fourth post on snowheads today, which is something of a record for a single day. Hoping my contributions have helped to 'inform, educate or entertain'. In today's posts I've managed to avoid any direct reference to either of the two key national points of debate this year (though this one is marginal!) and will strive to keep that going in any further contributions for 2021.
latest report
As has been said above, anything skiing related is to be savoured on here at the mo.

Bobinch hasn't circumnavigated any covid laws or restrictions, but I can think of at least one thsy has, and then moaned about the indigenous population skinning up "his" mountain. Very poor and needed ripping in my view
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy