Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lockdown coping strategies - what have you bought/planned?

Poster: A snowHead
Loads of game old birds doing that round our way, too, @Weathercam. More old girls than old boys. I think that when you do it regularly it's probably very good for you, as you build the physical capacity to cope with it, but cold water shock is a significant cause of death. I just hope one of our brave old ladies (several of whom are my good friends) doesn't succumb. A cardiac arrest on the beach would put a damper on the whole thing.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@pam w, I would say yes, get your self one. Why should kids have all the fun. Even if you just follow the instructions you can build some amazing machines. I built a copy of this one with my previous version of mindstorms
http://youtube.com/v/wilUgG3PjBw

I don't do jigsaws but really enjoy building the models. I'm not a coputer programmer but I enjoy actually programming the models as well.

Though the kits are marketted for 10+ I think you need to be a bit older to get the most out of them. An adult even Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Weathercam, how on earth have you/she managed to travel with all that is going on?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@abc, the lines look long, but really aren't as bad as they look. Distancing makes a 5 minute line look like 10+. Even with <full lift loading it goes ok. OTOH parking has been a real problem, because so many people are now driving solo. And having to make reservations pretty much takes the impromptu ski day impossible. But at least I've been able to get up there, I feel for y'all in the Isles on this point.

I'm coping by making stuff. Dining room table, retaining wall. I may have visited some car dealerships as well. Not traveling reveals how much we spend on travel, eh?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@pam w, yes you're right I noticed that far more ladies go for the swimming thing, think the issue for men when it's that cold something disappears and we get paranoid Laughing

@kitenski, that's our front garden, straight out of the door, across the road onto the beach, as for me please let's not go there again Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

think the issue for men when it's that cold something disappears and we get paranoid

Men do think everything is to do with their willies, but I think the simple truth is that women, physiologically, can cope with cold better than men - that might be true at a population level but, personally, I'm a complete wimp!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Weathercam, sorry I’d (wrongly??) assumed she was in France with you!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@kitenski, now it becomes clear why @Weathercam was so keen to go to France Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snowdave, lol Very Happy Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Never met @Weathercams, OH but not sure @pam w, implying she a "game old bird" is really called for Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@adithorp, I think my OH is actually older than @pam w, Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What have I bought? Watches! Unfortunately these make skiing seem like a cheap hobby and thus lockdown needs to end soon or there will be no money for next season...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I seen a pair of used Scarpa Freedom RS boots going cheap so I thought id get them as my boots are in France & if the opportunity came up I could try touring. Turns out they were near new & a great fit. So I might not be skiing but I am ready Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bigtipper wrote:
I recently purchased some optrex refreshing eye drops for tired eyes. I though I would experiment and see if this made my eyes feel slightly better in the mornings, and maybe stop some of the blood which occassionally appears.

I have done some reading on the internet, and I suspect due to my age (over 50 now) and the low humidity when I put an open fire on in winter, it is caused by dryness.

I have no serious irritation usually, occassional styes. Never had any vision problems, do not need glasses. Eyes still working fine, maybe the use of laptop screens may be causing the problem.

It is not a new thing, been gradually getting this way over the last 10 years. Not worth bothering a medic about yet, as no problems.

So I am starting out with the plant based eye drops which are probably just saline water, and see what happens. I initially wanted to try the eyelid spray stuff, but decided to see how I get on with the cheapest first.

After the first few drops and one overnight sleep, these eye drops have the following effect. (not much wrong with my eyes normally)

1. Eyes not watery in the morning when I brush my teeth and wash my face
2. There is more than just saline water in the drops, and there seems to be some kind of noticeable film which develops a few minutes after the drops.
3.Whites of eyes seem brighter, although this may be the placebo effect

Initially, I would say that these drops do something for me. However, they may not be essential.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55620100

This news article today made me think. I have never had my eyes tested since I was at school. (a long time ago) I have never had any vision problems, do not need glasses, and would probably first visit a gp before going for an eye test, but only if I had eye problems.

So the questions I have now, is what can I do to prevent eye problems? (that I am not already doing)

The above article suggests the 20-20-20 rule. Also get lots of vitamin A (I eat carrots regularly, and plenty of other vegetables high in vitamin A or caretoniods). I note the suggestion regarding cod liver oil capsules, but I eat lots of salmon, sardines and mackeral so my omega 3 is generally high. Any other suggestions?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Bigtipper, all I do is eat a balanced diet, plenty of all the colours of fresh fruit and veg and I understand blueberries and blackberries are supposed to be good for eye health. Eating too much red meat makes my eyes bloodshot. Hope this helps.
ski holidays
Tom Doc wrote:
I assume that I'm not the only one finding it hard to resist splashing the cash in lieu of going skiing. So as well as starting to plan for next year I've already ordered a pair of Smith I/O Chromapop goggles because, well, em, yeah. I've 2 other pairs - one with a universal lens (Bolle) which work alright, and Summit ones I bought about 4 years ago with 2 lenses, one for bright days and one for dull. They're pretty good unless the dull is because it's snowing or raining in which case they steam up really quickly.

I'm now eyeing up a pair of full-bib trousers, because one pair is never enough.

I've been quietly planning a long trip next year, expecting Mrs. Doc to be pissed off, but she's just got in from work and said that we should do a long trip next year. So that takes worry about that away!

Hi all,

I'm new to SnowHeads and joined today just to see how Summit had been faring on the open forums.

@Tom Doc - Are your Summits still going strong?

Simon
ski holidays
I had my eyes tested and now wear glasses when reading with 1.5x magnification. It makes a big difference, whereas previously I thought the lighting was just bad. The cheap ones work fine too, I have two pairs one is sunglasses with 1.5x magnification. I also have one cheap pair made up to my prescription, which I usually use if I can find them.
ski holidays
@Simon@Summit, welcome to Snowheads, I'm sure Tom Doc will be along soon to reply. This is an old thread though, with the last post in Jan 2021. Bumping old posts is usually preceded with BUMP so that readers know the thread has been bumped.
ski holidays
@Bigtipper, I find too much gin makes my eyes bloodshot…
snow report
Gordyjh wrote:
I find too much gin makes my eyes bloodshot…

Too. Much. Gin. ???

No, sorry, you're going to have to explain that.
ski holidays
@Chaletbeauroc, if it’s made my eyes bloodshot, ergo it’s too much. It just means I have to drink more beer and wine to compensate… Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy