Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So, how many people use their airbag crotch strap?.......

Poster: A snowHead
Or forget to do it up!
I got pi$$ed off at myself so many times I just use a carabiner on the end now, good wide opening so it comes off easier when I take the pack off too!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@KenX Good idea Ken. Might copy that one Little Angel
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Little safety tip, if you shorten the Nappy Strap for summer storage, make sure you lengthen it again the first time you use it the following winter. Especially before you sit down on a chairlift.

You’re welcome.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ooohhhhh........
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Every time.

Matron,
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@rob@rar, It's great to see your willingness to suffer for the good of the Snowheads collective!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Laughing I've never used an airbag, but the same applies to lifejackets - very easy to forget the crotch-straps.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tom Doc wrote:
@rob@rar, It's great to see your willingness to suffer for the good of the Snowheads collective!
It was a lesson learned.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I also find it helpful to turn transceivers on ...

Embarassed Embarassed
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
No point in using the bag without it. Why would you ever not do it up?

I see Europeans sometimes who chopped the straps off and try not to laugh.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
philwig wrote:
No point in using the bag without it. Why would you ever not do it up?

I see Europeans sometimes who chopped the straps off and try not to laugh.

^^This. No point having the thing if you aren't going to use it properly, arguably actually more dangerous than skiing without.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
KenX wrote:
Or forget to do it up!
I got pi$$ed off at myself so many times I just use a carabiner on the end now, good wide opening so it comes off easier when I take the pack off too!

Great tip. Have immediately fished out a spare crab and fitted it to my crotch strap which also means I can clip it to the lower end of my shoulder strap, so out of the way when not in use Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[quote="under a new name"]I also find it helpful to turn transceivers on ...

And off again ....easier to forget in the euphoria of another trip still not dead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I believe that Arcteryx are the only manufacturer to install a properly thought out crotch strap connector, so maybe they got the patent.

Like many I just installed a carabiner as it is way to easy to get fully strapped, then realise you forgot the crotch strap. On my latest one I use one end of a Petzel quickdraw which perfectly matches my Scott E1 40L, and it lighter than carabiner Cool
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A great tip and if you do happen to forget to attach it, an alloy biner wanging around into the crown jewels/other people/lifts will be rapidly noticed...
ski holidays
I also use a carabiner on the crotch strap. Also means I can detach it for comfort most of the time and just clip it on when tackling something more serious / going out of bounds.
ski holidays
KenX wrote:
Or forget to do it up!

That is a good idea, indeed! Very Happy

I might try it in 2024, after lockdown rolling eyes
latest report
snowheid wrote:
KenX wrote:
Or forget to do it up!

Great tip. Have immediately fished out a spare crab and fitted it to my crotch strap which also means I can clip it to the lower end of my shoulder strap, so out of the way when not in use Toofy Grin

two great tips there Very Happy
latest report
PowderAdict wrote:
I believe that Arcteryx are the only manufacturer to install a properly thought out crotch strap connector, so maybe they got the patent.

I think a friend might have had something to do with the design of that - I'll ask her other half if he was sacrificed in the R&D phase! Shocked
snow report
For those who haven't seen the Arcteryx solution:

Screenshot 2021-01-18 at 20.42.02
snow report
PowderAdict wrote:
I use one end of a Petzel quickdraw which perfectly matches my Scott E1 40L, and it lighter than carabiner Cool

Is that a wire gate ? I have a spare but thinking a screw gate might be better.
ski holidays
@AndAnotherThing.., I've used both, and the wire gate is much easier to use. I understand that under a unique set of events it might be forced open, but they are relied upon to arrest you in the event of a fall, so are plenty strong enough.

As used on my Scott Patrol E1 40 (yes I'm a colour match tart rolling eyes)

ski holidays
Just read this and fitted one to mine. I have the older style ABS, which had a push clip that connected both ends of the strap to the bag. I removed that on account of it being useless and replaced it with one I made out of 25mm webbing. The carabiner idea seems to work well, although, it will be some time before I actually get to ski with it. Got a choice between a twistgate and a snapgate. The former is heavier but locks so is preferred right now. Also more likely to smack me in the nuts at some point.
latest report
@PowderAdict, ta.
snow report
I don't really understand the problem - if you don't loop it in it hangs between your legs in a pretty visible and silly fashion - surely no one can tolerate that look Very Happy
snow report
That said, I'm one of those badly behaved people who don't take my pack off on chair lifts so I have fewer opportunities to cock this one up
snow conditions
jedster wrote:
I don't really understand the problem - if you don't loop it in it hangs between your legs in a pretty visible and silly fashion - surely no one can tolerate that look Very Happy

The issue is more to do with forgetting to do up the strap and having to undo the belt and thread it on, rather than a fashion faux-pas rolling eyes

I’m with you on not taking off my backpack, but I’ve only found that an issue in Canada with the small chairs and lack of safety bar use.
snow conditions
@jedster, many people don't bother with the strap and tuck it away inside the pack or even cut it off. Not a question of forgetting.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jedster wrote:

I’m with you. Stick it on and forget. What’s the issue?
ski holidays
Depends what your memory's like, I regularly ski with an older guy and constantly have to remind him to do up his helmet, put on his crotch strap......

Depends what your memory's like, I regularly.................Oh, already said that didn't I?
snow report
KenX wrote:
Depends what your memory's like, I regularly ski with an older guy and constantly have to remind him to do up his helmet, put on his crotch strap......

Depends what your memory's like, I regularly.................Oh, already said that didn't I?

Bit harsh on old @Weathercam that! First thing in the morning too...
ski holidays
stevomcd wrote:
@jedster, many people don't bother with the strap and tuck it away inside the pack or even cut it off. Not a question of forgetting.

They are the ones wearing an air bag pack as a fashion item, rather than a potential life saving device.
ski holidays
Sometimes the lifties insist that you take your pack off (even when it's pretty flat with not much in it).
Isn't there a chance that the carabiner could fall down the back of the chair and get hooked up? Or is it possible to take the backpack off without undoing the crotch strap carabiner?
ski holidays
DB wrote:
Sometimes the lifties insist that you take your pack off (even when it's pretty flat with not much in it).
Isn't there a chance that the carabiner could fall down the back of the chair and get hooked up? Or is it possible to take the backpack off without undoing the crotch strap carabiner?

With both mine (Mammut) I can open the chest strap and twist it round to sit next to me on a chairlift without removing the waist / crotch strap
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
DB wrote:

With both mine (Mammut) I can open the chest strap and twist it round to sit next to me on a chairlift without removing the waist / crotch strap

Thanks for that, good idea. Not sure if that will work for me though as I do have my waist strap pretty tight so it sits securely on my hips - will have to give it a try.
snow report
jedster wrote:

Some people either don't know it's important/don't think it's important, so have it tucked out the way or removed. For whatever reason mine didn't have one (got it second hand) so I just used got a carabiner, added some cord and made one myself.
ski holidays
Hope the cord's padded Shocked
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
I refer you to the red baseball hats worn by many Americans, which is indicative of precisely the same thing.
Other humans need to take careful note of these social indicators.
snow report
KenX wrote:
Hope the cord's padded Shocked

No, but the user is, quite substantially Very Happy It might be a little uncomfortable if it ever got tested properly, but I figure if that happens I've got bigger things to worry about. I keep meaning to get some webbing and do the job properly, but tbh the cord was fine while skiing and sitting on lifts
snow report
DB wrote:

I had this happen once with the 'normal' webbing strap sans biner; rare and unlucky but it wouldn't stop me slapping one on.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy