Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why I joined a ski forum

Poster: A snowHead
[quote="dode"]
Quote:

I have no problem with expats/immigrants posting about skiing, property or any thing they wish. I am delighted that my expat friends are getting the chance to ski....it shows some semblance of normality.

I also love reading about people's renovations and buying decisions.

It's the people who are looking for ways round rules/guidance ...call it what you like...or seem to think they are specials the rules don't apply to them that is so irritating.

@holidayloverxx, +1. This pretty well describes my views too.

I’d also include folk travelling around their home countries in contravention of the guidelines (which seemed fairly prevalent over the festivities). The virus doesn’t travel itself and it is annoying when you see some making less sacrifice than others, in all aspects of life, not just skiing.[/quote

+1. An intolerance of cheats and liars is hardwired into many of us.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar wrote:
Charliegolf wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
]Nothing I'm enjoying more than seeing people like BobinCh post photos and videos of his skiing so far this season.

The idea we can get through this and go out there and beat him up is what keeps me going! Very Happy
Laughing Well, there's that as well. But the challenge would be catching him on skis...

Just sayin but .... Weathercam would probably be easier to catch up with. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm getting a bit ticked off to put it mildly, @Frosty the Snowman, nowhere did I "moan" about people apart from people parking in our parking.

I was being positive in that the French are still making the most of what is on offer and it's quite amazing, and at least is bringing some much needed income into the resort(s)

Anyway here's a photo from this morning Laughing

And FWIW I would have been totally entitled to travel to France for work as well as residency!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 3-01-21 14:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nice @Weathercam, that's what I'm talking about.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon wrote:
Scarlet wrote:
...... I feel like I've hardly written anything about skiing recently, partly due to not going, and partly because it feels like as I am “lucky” to live here “showing off .......

Says the person who phoned me on Christmas Day evening to tell me they'd been skiing fresh powder all day! rolling eyes

Oh come on, that's what friends are for. wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Weathercam, +1...making interesting and surprising local observations is not moaning......I made the same comments on PdS thread a few weeks ago. Great to see so many french people out enjoying the mountains without lifts running.....and apart from a mild irritation of not being able to park right where I wanted (like a supermarket trip), it's no big deal, there's plenty of untracked snow for everyone who wants it.

As for breaking any ridiculous 'rules', I defer to Mussolini, it is better to live one day as a lion than 100 years as a sheep.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
polo wrote:
As for breaking any ridiculous 'rules', I defer to Mussolini, it is better to live one day as a lion than 100 years as a sheep.

Quote:
The bodies of Mussolini and Petacci were taken to Milan and left in a suburban square, the Piazzale Loreto, for a large angry crowd to insult and physically abuse. They were then hung upside down from a metal girder above a service station on the square. The bodies were beaten, shot at, and hit with hammers. Initially, Mussolini was buried in an unmarked grave …..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Benito_Mussolini

I can't see snowhead's posters being that lenient though. Toofy Grin wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Weathercam, @polo, you really don't get it do you.
I'm not observing the rules to save my life. That's because it's not all about ME. A concept you 2 seem not to have grasped.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
polo wrote:
@Weathercam, +1...making interesting and surprising local observations is not moaning...

The problem is the word "horde" is considered pejorative.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof wrote:
polo wrote:
@Weathercam, +1...making interesting and surprising local observations is not moaning...

The problem is the word "horde" is considered pejorative.

Specially when 'hording' bog roll! Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Charliegolf, oh very good Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

The problem is the word "horde" is considered pejorative

It is pejorative. Wordsworth didn't see a horde of daffodils and substituting "Grockles" is not a big improvement. I am fortunate to live in a lovely place where lots of people who live in less lovely places come for a walk by the water, queue for a coffee, enjoy the views. And this summer, when lockdown ended, people came in unprecedented numbers to windsurf, SUP, kayak, sit by the water. Some "locals" complained about not being able to park outside their houses, and about the numbers along the shore. They felt entitled to have the whole place to themselves and saw nothing wrong with complaining about "outsiders" coming to enjoy "our" facilities.

That attitude stinks and it can be encountered anywhere. We have probably all felt like that at times, about places we love, and we need to get a grip on ourselves.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
polo wrote:

How about 99 years as a tiger? This is not black and white, and if like Mussolini's friends I put you up against a wall with a gun to your head, would one day as a lion really look so attractive? Rules are only ridiculous to those who don't understand why they are necessary, and it's precisely because of those people that the rules had to be made in the first place. Don't be part of the problem - work hard to be part of the solution instead.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

The problem is the word "horde" is considered pejorative

It is pejorative. Wordsworth didn't see a horde of daffodils and substituting "Grockles" is not a big improvement.

Do you get Grockles in Chichester? I thought they only occurred from Swanage westwards.

and, what about Hordes of Grockles?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I joined to get intel about skiing in the Alps, and to provide intel on skiing in North America. I got it, and it helped. I give it, and I hope it helps.

Being a person who does not participate in social media much, I also learned about the dark side of these places. Plenty of folks here seem to come to pop off about various nationalities and so forth. Many things written that would not be said in person. In other words, lots of gutless people.

But I also learned that, as in person, there are "usual suspects" that are easily avoided and others who are always worth reading. So you might say I'm voting to remain.

But I do wish I could figure out how to post a damn photo!

PS: about that treatment Mussolini received....I have someone else in mind......
snow conditions
Well the only 'rules' I've broken recently (apart from all the normal daily ones) were to exercise more than 1km from home (thankfully that one didn't last long), and at christmas I stayed at a friends house once past 8pm. Shoot me. Touring has never been banned in our area.....it has been actively encouraged in resort.
latest report
Quote:

Do you get Grockles in Chichester? I thought they only occurred from Swanage westwards.

That's a very good point. We never used to get Grockles, which is why everyone got so hot under the collar when the great unwashed descended from Leigh Park etc pottering happily around on cheap plastic kayaks instead of lovingly restored Avon Scows and expensively syndicated keelboats. wink
snow report
@Scooter in Seattle, To post photo's easily you need to pay Graham Admin some money... Use the Support snowHeads icon at the bottom of most pages

There are other ways which are free - you just need the photo hosted somewhere - Facebook will do

Quote:
Donating: everything helps!
Donate £5 or over and we'll update your user rank to 'snowHead' permanently to say thanks.

Subscribing (as a super-snowHead):
This gets you:
- a few extra site features,
- the power to switch advertising on or off,
- discounts on snowHeads trips and products
- discounts on 3rd party services and products

You get 12 months 'super-snowHead' subscription for £35.
Or, set up a regular annual subscription of £25/yr

Subscribing (as a mega-snowHead):
The 'prestige' rank of 'mega-snowHead' is for any one who donates over £50. TBH you don't really get anything much extra for it other than our gratitude and perhaps a nice warm feeling Nice

Starting a regular subscription of £5/mnth will immediately give you a number of subscriber powers including the ability to turn advertising on and off. Initially you will earn a 'snowHead'. On the fifth month you will be upgraded to full 'super-snowHead' status and a 'mega-snowHead' if continuous for a year. The rank will remain while your subscription remains active. (If you cancel, your status will lapse immediately)
snow report
@boredsurfin, thanks for the complete answer. A fair proposition.
snow conditions
@Scooter in Seattle, Those 'donation' prices haven't changed for many a year - best get in quick before Graham notices Laughing
ski holidays
Deleted pointless post.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 3-01-21 21:12; edited 1 time in total
latest report
My question is, why don't we moderate the forum?

As many people that have mentioned here, I also joined (and quite late compared to some of the users here!) to talk about skiing. Especially during a pandemic, when we're all bombarded from all sides by how bad everything is. I thought this was a place to come together about our hobby, and while people have been nice and kind to me, the kind of answers I've seen in some posts deserve to be... invited to take a leave of absence off the forum due to their toxic posts. The same for spam-posts.

It feels like a bit of moderation (of the forum) would go a long way, to at least ensure some decent behaviour, and it's not like it's some novel idea. The downside is that otherwise we lose good people that get fed up with the noise.

And yes, I realise I've only been here like 2 months. Smile
snow report
blind_raven wrote:

Good idea, why not make it a closed forum just for people who have paid to go on bashes ?
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
blind_raven wrote:

Good idea, why not make it a closed forum just for people who have paid to go on bashes ?

Toofy Grin Careful, you'll get your Username changed...
snow report
Why I joined?

Kind people provide information about skiing.

Never made it to a Bash - though.

Quite happy to paid the dime.

snowHead
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, I just kicked in, thanks for the nudge. So, with my Karmic account in order, the forecast for tomorrow's snow level is gonna go down now, right?
ski holidays
@Perty, Totally agree, but look at what you've done - started another thread where people are arguing with each other and not talking about skiing much! Laughing Laughing
latest report
There is a deep set streak of Holier-Than-Thou intolerance that seems to be quite the norm these days.

Covidiots, how dare they, the rules, tory scum, Brexiteers, Re-moaners (some clever clogs moderator even removed that word while leaving all sorts of other pejorative words for other views).....in normal times it is between the skiers and snowboarders Very Happy

It is an online reflection of the type of behaviour that @pam w speaks of. I live in a lovely village that is popular with visitors, very popular. The local coffee shop has just closed for takeaways for the T4 duration after getting physical threats from locals because it was supposedly drawing in visitors with their "filthy foreign covid". Sad

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tom Doc wrote:
@Perty, Totally agree, but look at what you've done - started another thread where people are arguing with each other and not talking about skiing much! Laughing Laughing

like an old married couple. They've done the rounds of other subjects and now all they have left is the bickering.
snow conditions
r11s wrote:

+1. An intolerance of cheats and liars is hardwired into many of us.

Looks at GE result,
Walks away shrugging
snow conditions
It seemed like a good thing to do at the time Toofy Grin
ski holidays
DB wrote:
spyderjon wrote:
Scarlet wrote:
...... I feel like I've hardly written anything about skiing recently, partly due to not going, and partly because it feels like as I am “lucky” to live here “showing off .......

Says the person who phoned me on Christmas Day evening to tell me they'd been skiing fresh powder all day! rolling eyes

Oh come on, that's what friends are for. wink

Genau wink Can't post about it here, I'll be eaten alive! And anyway, I called to say merry Christmas – can't help what comes up in conversation wink
ski holidays
blind_raven wrote:

There is moderation but as I am sure @dadmin, when not counting his millions of untaxed spondoolics wink , will tell you it is not a general policy and very much a course of last resort. Accordingly people don't generally have a teacher to go crying to and remain accountable for their own BS. Also the other benefit is that commercial badboys don't get to censor opinion about them etc and racist trolls can be rightly ridiculed etc. Spammers are usually nuked unless they have been amusingly caught out in diogur.

Edit: feck knows what in diogur means but it sounds like some pseudo latin BS. dialogue I think I meant before I had a stroke.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 3-01-21 21:53; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@Tom Doc, @davidof, indeed...QED.... rolling eyes

(Still here...just! Madeye-Smiley )
I should add,, I’m not a fan of having moderators either. I was a member of another ski forum- theskidiva.com. Women only, North American in origin, and in the end I left. I couldn’t handle the vanilla earnestness of the members, plus their failure to understand irony and satire. One day I responded to some ignorant post about the national health service..and got slapped down by a mod. Decided it was time to leave and landed here, which was much more fun.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 3-01-21 18:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Tom Doc wrote:

Especially in THE PISTE!!

The Piste OK, you know what a Piste is for don't you? Skiing, boarding, whatever, just remember the skiers' code though: look uphill before you take off and don't sit in the middle of it!
snow report
Quote:

I should add,, I’m not a fan of having moderators either. I was a member of another ski forum- theskidiva.com. Women only, North American in origin, and in the end I left. I couldn’t handle the vanilla earnestness of the members, plus their failure to understand irony and satire. One day I responded to some ignorant post about the national health service..and got slapped down by a mod. Decided it was time to leave and landed here, which was much more fun.

I don't think the two values are: trolls/spam or crazy mods. I used to hang out on forums in the early 2000s where the entire point was to keep flaming/spam/garbage at a minimum. Not because as someone said around here we need teachers to run off to, but because some people just miss the idea behind civility and discourse and like to flame.

If the result is that you're losing people because of dumbassery, then the problem is the dumbassery. Not everything is "a limitation of liberties".
latest report
Perty wrote:
@Tom Doc, @davidof, indeed...QED.... rolling eyes

(Still here...just! Madeye-Smiley )

Lol, I'm a member too, joined to get info on equipment. I rarely (couple of times a year) log on there - it's a strange atmosphere - got the impression they wouldn't be out of place in Edward Scissorhands!!
snow report
Perty wrote:
I was a member of another ski forum- theskidiva.com. Women only, North American in origin, and in the end I left.

How do they know what sex you are over the internet?

Is it a bit like the stoning in life of Brian?

http://youtube.com/v/FQ5YU_spBw0
snow report
Quote:

How do they know what sex you are over the internet?

You have to promise very nicely that you're not gonna lie about it Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I'm here to chew the cud with like-minded Nutters and talk bollox. Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy