Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why I joined a ski forum

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Dave of the Marmottes, agreed, how people decide to spend their own money is down to them and their personal preference.

Personally I don’t look at anyone with their own place in the Alps and think wow I wish I had that - moreover I think, so what, I couldn’t be bothered and it’d be a hassle, and would prevent me doing other things. The only time I’d be interested is in 6 years time when I plan to retire and would have liked to move wholesale to the Alps (albeit that looks like a pipe dream after Brexit). It could be argued I’d have a place in my favourite ski town by now given the amount I’ve spent there, true - but I’d also have had lots of worries and been stuck under one roof going diy on my ski trips rather than enjoying it....it’s not all about financial outcomes, imv it’s what you do on the journey, not how much you’ve got at the end of your useful life.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@admin, column B I think, if it was a brag then I'd have said VW Transporter
Ah yes, of course - your awe and respect are duly noted Cool
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Legend., you missed my favourite subject “best route to drive to the Alps”, that’s always a good one.

Also “recommend me a ski jacket” and “Aldi ski gear”

I actually joined Snowheads to have some banter about skiing, not much about atm so mainly Brexit, Covid, Boris etc....looking forward to the ski related craic next season.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been struggling with this thread for a while but this post has really flumexed me.
Quote:

Couple of Koenigseggs, a Senna, GTR, a Hoonigan Fiesta, more AMGs than I can count, a couple of Scooby STis for me

Are "Koenigseggs" a type of Danish lager?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@johnE, Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

it’s not all about financial outcomes

Some of the happiest people I know are ski bums scraping by on little money, sleeping in hostels and skiing everyday. I left my "professional job" a few years ago and now earn very little money, but couldn't be happier. Being able to spend hundreds of days per year in the mountains more than makes up for the financial loss.

I'm often amazed at the kind of money some people on here talk about. £10k for a family week skiing Shocked I can do a whole winter in Canada for half that. Of course a lot easier when you are on your own and have no kids. I don't judge though, they can spend their money however they wish.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@boarder2020, +1 good for you! You can’t put a price on happiness and doing something you love doing, lots of unhappy wealthy people stuck in big well paid jobs they clearly hate.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Markymark29 wrote:
@boarder2020, +1 good for you! You can’t put a price on happiness and doing something you love doing, lots of unhappy wealthy people stuck in big well paid jobs they clearly hate.

Quite. It is, of course true for the ten granders! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Markymark29 wrote:

... many of whom would be financially secure enough to pack-in work now and enjoy themselves instead. Each to their own, however. wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
For full disclosure I should say ofcourse my lifestyle is not perfect and has some drawbacks too. I'm fortunate in that I don't have or want kids which makes things easier too. My point is you don't need to be a trust fund kid or multimillionaire to live an enjoyable life in the mountains. S

Sometimes I get people telling me they'd love to take a year out to travel, or do a winter season skiing. Most of them are in a much better position financially than I was when I started my year out (which 5 years later is still ongoing!). I think it's quite a daunting leap for some though and goes against the societal norms that success is getting a highly paid job, buying a house, getting married, and having kids. Once you get out there you see a there are a number of "normal" people are having incredibly interesting and happy alternative lifestyles.

Quote:

... many of whom would be financially secure enough to pack-in work now and enjoy themselves instead

Worked with a guy in his 60s, very respected, a true expert of his field. Suspect his salary was close to 6 figures. Never took a day off - first in last out kind of guy. We got talking about Nepal one day and he said "I've always wanted to visit Nepal and see Everest, but I'm too old to think about hiking now". It was unfathomable to me that he hadn't been to the one place he had always wanted to when clearly money was no object. I realised then, while I enjoyed my job, I could never reach the top of my field as I wasn't willing to make the kind of sacrifices he was. He did enjoy his job though, which I suppose is a small mercy.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is suppose it’s all a balancing act, you get your priorities and balance what can all be done to keep the others.
Problem is your priorities are always changing.
I love my skiing but I love the excitement in the build up to a trip, the WhatsApp banter for a boys weekend, watching the kids do exactly the same in the lead up to our dads & lads weekend , thinking they are the first to do it.
Everyone is different but I do agree, happiness is the key not money
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yeah, the cliche of “you only live once, and tomorrow is not promised” has always been true and covid has certainly brought that home to us. Seeing a friend have a stroke in their early 50s also brought that home for me. If you have always wanted to “do a season”, or whatever, do it now (or possibly next season!).

Following your dreams does not necessarily mean throwing it in all in - many require some sense of financial security. Maybe a good alternative for some is to have a trade behind you, eg chippy or sparky, so you can supplement your income as/when needed, and have something on which to fall back on when the couch-surfing / itinerant lifestyle pales.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy