Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot mounting position on a set of Womens Pearl 88s

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My wife has a pair of Volkl Fuego skis that she loves and uses as her main ski here in the northeast. They are length 151

I bought her a pair of Black Pearl 88 skis. The have Marker 11 TCX bindings on them... the look like demo bindings. They are length 152

She has told me she has a hard time with them and that they are very stiff to her.

I looked... and the boot/binding position on the ski is good 1" forward if you lay the center of the skis and bindings with boots locked side by side.

Does that sound right ? 1" forward to me seems like its off.

Both skis were setup/adjusted by the same ski shop btw.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Many women prefer a more forward mounting position due to their centre of balance being on average lower down the body to the average male. A more forward position tends to make the ski easier to initiate turns, moving the mounting backwards tend to make them stable at higher speeds, more of a charger. I'd guess that the new ski may be a little wider and stiffer than she is used to and she will need to work harder or improve her technique to get the best out of it. I myself prefer my all mountain and powder skis to be mounted a littel closer to the centre for better maneuverability.

Fuego: 73mm waist dimension creates quick edge-to-edge transfers on groomers, while moderate tip and tail dimensions allow for off-piste exploration
Extended Double Grip chambers improve edge support, resulting in precise distribution of pressure to the snow for exacting control
20/20 Extended Wood cores extend upward to form the chambers of the Extended Double Grip construction, for powerful turning and torsional rigidity
Women-specific wood core is 20% lighter and 20% more flexible than comparable unisex skis—more fun, less work!

In reviews of the Pearl you find comments like:
Shannon Walton thought it was a “great all-around ski” after her test runs on the 166 cm length. Shannon gave the Black Pearl 88 some high scores. 5 out of 5 for quickness/maneuverability, playfulness, and forgiveness, with stability, torsional stiffness/edge grip, versatility, and overall impression all coming in with 4’s out of 5. Only flotation was lower at 3 out of 5. “Best for strong intermediate or advanced skier. Easy turn initiation, fun and playful feel. Confidence-inspiring. Was a lot of fun to ski and I felt the ski could do whatever I asked it to.”

Elise Magnant also tested the 166 cm Black Pearl 88 and found it to be a little bit too much for her self-described beginner level. While it is an approachable ski for less-aggressive skiers, Elise is right that it’s not the best choice for a true beginner. “Tested on soft spring corn with some firm patches. As a beginner skier, I felt this ski required a more advanced skier.” Intermediates and advanced skiers with more accomplished technique will find a nice amount of forgiveness in the Black Pearl 88, but it’s a little bit lost on beginners.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy