Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Well closed lifts didn't stop the hordes coming

Poster: A snowHead
Sitter wrote:

My car was purchased from a dealer some 70 miles away from where I live.

N. Yorkshire police have been stopping vehicles around here (near the Lancs/N Yorks/Cumbria border), asking where people have travelled from/heading to. Would like to hope they're fining people from out of area, but only know of their presence due to the fact my neighbour was stopped on his way home from visiting his mum (elderly, lives alone).

North Yorkshire Police visited the Wharfedale Rugby Club at Threshfield on Boxing Day expecting to find 1000 drunken revellers at the traditional match V North Ribb, that had been cancelled the week prior. duhhh
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@russ_e, inclined to agree. Staffs Moorlands is also experiencing mega amounts of tourists, most only from Stoke tbh so not far

No one seems to know the rules anymore they still think it's the rule of 6. Seems like most on here do know the rules and that's why they are annoyed. (I'm sad I looked them up) I know families/households these days look different but I'm sure most of the large groups I saw over the last 2 weeks were not one household.

It's funny to see those new to walking round here though, never seen/heard so many looking at phones the whole time or with music blaring out.

At least they are meeting up outside not indoors though.

@rambotion, @jebroni3_16, that weather did come in pretty quick tbf
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just for a bit of perspective, both of the lockdowns here in France restricted movement, for exercise, to within 1km of your home and for a max of 1 hour per day. We had to carry a form detailing our address, time of departure etc. Of course, it was possible to get around the 1 hour rule by having more than one piece of paper if one wanted to but the 1km restriction all but ruled out going beyond the immediate vicinity. I suppose the Govt’s argument was, if people travelled about, even to be outdoors, some would likely stop for petrol, a bit of shopping etc etc. I have always found the French ‘confinement’ pretty draconian but it does appear to have worked. France has been out of lockdown now for quite a while, albeit with certain restrictions, and the Covid situation remains relatively under control.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
russ_e wrote:
rambotion wrote:
@jebroni3_16, If it was so obvious that the Goyt Valley was going to get cut off by the snow then perhaps the police should have closed the road into it. And, are we really saying that people from Greater Manchester can't visit the Western half of the Peak District till coronavirus is over? When will that be, 2022? That article is having a go at someone from Stockport going to the Goyt Valley, many from Stockport would consider that local to them and it doesn't involve crossing any tier boundaries, Greater Manchester and Derbyshire are both tier 4.

Whilst in Tier 4 the rules are stay local. I don't consider driving for an hour or two to be staying local.

Many of the villages being swamped by tourists at the moment had a very low infection rate. Our town was 50 / 100k - one week later we are now 160 / 100k.

Our local police have stated it's been busier than a summer bank holiday.

One might suggest an element of the Swamping is local businesses being open for (much needed) business. Tourists don't tend to wander around towns where only the supermarket is open for long. So again within your community's control.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@zzz, 1km 1hr rule was only for the first lockdown wasn't it, where we endured 58 days of it.

In the first lock-down I had to show my attestation on three separate occasions, though one was amusing as I was on my bike cycling the same 5km circuit that kept me within a 1km radius from my home and the Gendarmes were quite impressed with my creative route, actually thought they too were cyclists.

The second lock-down (I was back in the UK) exercise was 3hrs and 20km I seem to recall?

Also as I've said on more than a few occasions on here France has a much greater Police presence that in the UK, even in our little village now the many "visitors" Laughing have left, I'd think twice about nipping over to friends only a km away after 18:00 with curfew as I know the local plod (Police Municipale) will probably be patrolling.

Can you imagine a Gendarme allowing some spotty youth to tell him he doesn't have to wear a mask and to f**k off as the Police can't ask him why!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Here in North Yorkshire, we live overlooking reservoirs popular with people for a walk on a sunny day, and occasionally we'd get 1-2 cars parked on the road pre-lockdown 1. Lockdown 1 they stopped coming altogether until Cummingsgate and BoZo said people could travel for exercise, then the 1-2 went to 5-6.

Fast forward to Boxing Day 40+ cars (probably 50% of them with L London plates amongst them), New Years Day 50+ cars, today very few apart from the one lady and kids who rolled her 4wd Volvo car into the ditch and dry stone wall because she'd slid into it on the mud when parking (shame....eventually pulled out by our neighbour, busy livestock farmer with a large chain and his tractor)....our drive access blocked, parking on brow of hill, farmers gates blocked, rubbish everywhere, verges trashed, masks/ bottles/ laughing gas canisters disgarded, no social distancing, one way system introduced by the water authority ignored, signs ripped down. Multiple families meeting up, Tier 3. The road has effectively become a one car wide road, 60 mph national speed limit applies so they all have to do that.....an accident waiting to happen.

The police say they are powerless to intervene, they can only offer advice and educate, and they gave that up 3 months ago.

Something needs to change - people are not adhering to government guidance - an all-but-essential travel curfew is required imv.

The one thing that this pandemic has taught me is that people are basically selfish and stupid.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Markymark29 wrote:
... with L London plates amongst them ...
What's an L London plate?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rob@rar,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_the_United_Kingdom

240 miles away from North Yorkshire where I live, and from a Tier 4 area with a known recent problem of high transmission rates. In other words they went to the country for Christmas Day, and stayed there, into an area where we'd worked hard to keep infection rates down and had been in Tier 1/2.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
totally meaningless

My last UK car was bought in London when I lived there, had a Yorkshire registration (2 of the 3 letters back then), had one number plate was broken+replaced, so when I lived in Bristol would have looked like I'd have been on a day trip from either Leeds or Wimbledon depending on whether you looked at the front or rear of the car and could read the dealer, or were a geek on bulk UK registrations.

Plus you can buy a plate from any registration district.... oh and NI too.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:
Markymark29 wrote:
... with L London plates amongst them ...
What's an L London plate?

LA - LY on a plate signify an initial London registration.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
phew - lucky my vehicle (bought in London, currently the correct side of the pennines) has a Y plate. Means I can douche up Markymark's lanes with impunity wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
>Can you imagine a Gendarme allowing some spotty youth to tell him he doesn't have to wear a mask and to f**k off as the Police can't ask him why!!

That's what I like about the French police - €135 fine first and ask questions afterwards!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

totally meaningless

@andy, Nope, very few L plates around here throughout the year, just at peak holiday season. Where do you think the Londoners go for their breaks?.....many back to the northern cities they came from before they went south, to see family in the north and midlands. I was one of them for 10 years back in the 80's. You ever seen the A1/ M1/ M6 on a holiday weekend? It was well reported that the motorways heading north were congested immediately before Christmas.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dave of the Marmottes, Youre always welcome here btw
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Markymark29 wrote:
@rob@rar,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_the_United_Kingdom
I've lived in London since the adoption of the current format for registration plates and not once have had a registration plate which begins with L, including the cars I've bought from new in local garages. Current car starts with G, bought at the Kia dealership on the Great West Road in Brentford.
snow report
Quote:

totally meaningless

seriously, unless you have to re-register a car to the location where it is usually kept, that first letter means the square root of bog all other than that was where it was registered
even the HROwen badge on it is totally meaningless
could be someone on a day trip, someone visiting their 2nd home, someone going for a drive to test their eyesight, someone who has permanently moved from London (shed loads are doing that), someone who's got a company car where all the registrations go thru a head office, someone (like me) that bought a 9 month old ex-pool car where all the registrations had been handled through head office, someone who just happened to buy a 2nd hand car,...

edit, and even in Germany where you do re-register based on where you live, you'll find that most rental cars come from Hamburg, and our pool cars (and all the dip plate cars) have Bonn registrations but kept 20mins South of Frankfurt.
snow report
rambotion wrote:
*Peaks isn't a recognised of abbreviation for the Peak District, if you must shorten it, it should be 'the Peak', adding the 's' suggests that you don't understand the etymology of the place and are likely not from the area. Of course, it's possible that you're from somewhere entirely different from the Peak District where Peaks is a recognised name in which case I apologise

Well, I was brought up in Cheshire, and I would refer to it as 'The Peaks' differentiating (geologically, not etymologically) between White Peak (southern, limestone) and Dark Peak (northern, gritstone/moorland). But I'm not from the Peaks, you may be right.
snow report
My car is 13 years old. I've had it 5 years. More than a few owners before me. I replaced the number plates a few years ago under MOT rules. Nothing on them to say where it might have been registered/sold.

First registered in Scotland.

Does that mean I can drive north to ski? Puzzled Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@Weathercam, nope, the first 4 weeks was 1km and 1 hour. I became an expert on 1km radius road biking during November. It became 20km and 3 hours for the final 2 weeks and it was as if the whole world had been opened to us!
ski holidays
Reading all this god only knows what people must have made of my car with Swiss number plates parked in my local Sainsburys yesterday (I've been back here in the UK 7 weeks looking after my ill father)
snow conditions
@andy - a bit like most Swiss rentals being registered "AI"? Certainly when driving around the Savoies I used to assume that anything with "AI" was best treated with caution!
ski holidays
@zzz, ok somehow I missed that. In the first lockdown cycling was theoretically not allowed, but our Prefecture tweeted it was permitted so I carried his twitter screengrab with me Toofy Grin

When I think how tough the lockdown was compared to the UK you then think of how it was even tougher for the Spanish and Italians!
snow report
This myth that car registration plates mean anything seems to persist, we have a camper van, a car and a work van and only one of them was registered within a 100 miles of where we live. At some point we'll need to drive the camper out for the day as it hasn't moved for four months, I shall enjoy the thought of people scrutinising the reg and frothing while we walk the dog Smile
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
In the first lockdown cycling was theoretically not allowed

No it was always allowed. You have to look at the law as published on legisfrance not the crap that comes out of journalists bottoms.
snow report
I don't know when localised registration plates ended - I suspect it was when number plates flipped over from alphabetical years, to the modern system.

It definitely was a "thing" though.
snow report
I don't think they have ended?
snow report
If you’d had to get a locally registered plate for your car, like I have to have, you’d see that any location ref on UK plates is nonsense. A car can be registered miles away from where it is sold, and once it’s entered the used market all bets are off. I have to change the plate if I move house out of the immediate area, FFS!
snow report
@pam w, Actually, no they haven't.

"A local memory tag, or area code, consisting of up to two letters which together indicate the local registration office. By December 2013, all local offices had been closed,[13] but the letters still represent a region."

They are, of course, only representative of where the car was first registered and nothing at all to do with where the first owner lives.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:
Weathercam wrote:

No it was always allowed. You have to look at the law as published on legisfrance not the crap that comes out of journalists bottoms.

@davidof c'mon you know damned well that there was a perceived ban not helped by the Fédération française de cyclisme.

A en croire la Fédération française de cyclisme, la pratique du vélo serait à proscrire, comme en témoignage ce slogan qu’elle a lancé : « Sauvez des vies, roulez chez vous ». La FFC précise sa position dans un communiqué : « la pratique du sport cycliste communément admise n’entre pas dans les conditions prévues au décret et constitue donc une infraction susceptible de verbalisation. En effet, ces conditions de proximité et de temps court sont antinomiques avec les notions d’entraînement du sport cycliste basées sur des notions de distance et de temps prolongé. Toute pratique du sport cycliste, même individuelle, doit donc être momentanément proscrite ». Et la FFC estime de conclure « qu’il est bien évidemment de la responsabilité de chacun d’appliquer strictement ces mesures ».

Any practice of cycling sport, even individual, must therefore be temporarily banned

I was actually ripped apart (déjà vu Laughing ) when I posted on the British Cyclists in France Facebook asking if anyone else was cycling
ski holidays
I love the way this forum sticks to the point of the original post, number plates, really?
snow report
Well we have feck all skiing to be doing and its a bit slick/muddy/dark for bikes
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Well we have feck all skiing to be doing and its a bit slick/muddy/dark for bikes

We're indulging in "urban downhill" over here Very Happy selection of mtb downhill bikes and all the speed humps start to look like fun. Stairs too, and benefit of hauling them back up the hill again in fitness as every loop turns into a VO2 max circuit.
snow conditions
russ_e wrote:
rambotion wrote:
@jebroni3_16, If it was so obvious that the Goyt Valley was going to get cut off by the snow then perhaps the police should have closed the road into it. And, are we really saying that people from Greater Manchester can't visit the Western half of the Peak District till coronavirus is over? When will that be, 2022? That article is having a go at someone from Stockport going to the Goyt Valley, many from Stockport would consider that local to them and it doesn't involve crossing any tier boundaries, Greater Manchester and Derbyshire are both tier 4.

Whilst in Tier 4 the rules are stay local. I don't consider driving for an hour or two to be staying local.

Many of the villages being swamped by tourists at the moment had a very low infection rate. Our town was 50 / 100k - one week later we are now 160 / 100k.

One might suggest an element of the Swamping is local businesses being open for (much needed) business. Tourists don't tend to wander around towns where only the supermarket is open for long. So again within your community's control.

There are no shops on Mam Tor
ski holidays
Quote:
Peaks isn't a recognised of abbreviation for the Peak District
But is it a recognised of sentence? wink
snow conditions
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-55529870
Looks like no one in scotland was paying any attention to the guidelines
snow conditions
russ_e wrote:
russ_e wrote:
rambotion wrote:

Pretty sure there's a gift shop at Blue John cavern, and a takeaway cafe opposite... and an ice-cream van at Mam Nick car park Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
davidof wrote:
Weathercam wrote:

@davidof c'mon you know damned well that there was a perceived ban not helped by the Fédération française de cyclisme.

As I told you back in March

Quote:
The information about not cycling came from the French cycling federation, so not legal,

I know the police were issuing fines, but you can politely decline to accept their fine, like these gentlemen did yesterday

http://youtube.com/v/nQVU7n3X-_4

a polite "no thankyou officer and how would you like the shit being kicked out of you for good measure sir?"

@colinstone take note
snow report
adithorp wrote:
Pretty sure there's a gift shop at Blue John cavern, and a takeaway cafe opposite... and an ice-cream van at Mam Nick car park Toofy Grin

Laughing I'm surprised there isn't a McDonalds up top to be honest.
ski holidays
adithorp wrote:

This time of year there's that lovely lady that runs the little Beans on the Edge coffee van at the Mam Nick car park, but that's generally about it. There aren't even any toilets up there (closest are in Edale and Castleton, I think).

Just to add yet another example of the ridiculousness of looking at number plate origins - we live between Derby and the start of the Peaks (yes, we call it "the Peaks" round here too), my car has a Leeds registration number and the actual plate has the name of a Scottish dealer. My husband's car has a Brighton registration number. I've just looked at my neighbour's car and hers has a Portsmouth registration number. Means absolutely nothing.
ski holidays
russ_e wrote:
russ_e wrote:
rambotion wrote:

Sorry your town is Mam Tor? I thought it was a peak. rolling eyes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy