Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Well closed lifts didn't stop the hordes coming

Poster: A snowHead
davidof wrote:
At the risk of seeming churlish, are you not part of the horde?

He's got horde immunity Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w wrote:
......It's the OP's distinguishing himself from the "hordes" which is so irritating.....

How about Grockles Laughing

Going back to the OP you are one of the few people on here who I think would happily enjoy the mountains without the lifts?

And it does I think seem to be very much a French thing (better not put that in bold) to take one's holiday at all costs no matter the situation.

Even if the lifts do not open for the high season half term break I can still see it being just as busy, though obviously still a vast % of businesses will suffer.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Deleted as I was being intolerant.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 3-01-21 10:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not surprising really. Back in the FR lock down in November, I received an email from the Les Montanettes?? group suggesting that I book an apartment in Tignes or VT for the holiday period.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
KenX wrote:
davidof wrote:

Best pun I've horde this season !
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Funny that Austria took the opposite approach. Opened ski areas, but kept tourism closed. The ski areas have been pretty busy at weekends, but it's clear that the Austrians who don't live in the mountains are definitely fair weather skiers and wait for a nice forecast before loading their cars up for a day trip to the slopes.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Weathercam wrote:
And it does I think seem to be very much a French thing (better not put that in bold) to take one's holiday at all costs no matter the situation.
They have endured two hard lockdowns - not allowed out for more than 1h a day, 1km. And seeing images from other countries where people were enjoying parks etc. so they need that.

It's easy for us to poke fun at "hordes" coming from Paris (or London, for that matter) to the mountains but would we still be living there we'd probably try to do the same. We know of people having been stuck in tiny flats, no garden, no park around (and they were closed in spring).

So I may disapprove of people flocking to the mountain - but after all that's what I do too. I just happen to live closer.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
colinstone wrote:
Not surprising really. Back in the FR lock down in November, I received an email from the Les Montanettes?? group suggesting that I book an apartment in Tignes or VT for the holiday period.

Back in November, they were probably expecting the ski lifts to open.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No they mailshotted even after it was clear lifts would be closed to encourage travel to enjoy the rest of the wide range of mountain activities.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Weathercam wrote:

Is that why you're becoming French? It seems you're willing to break the rules on travel just to go on a (long) skiing holiday?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof wrote:
KenX wrote:
davidof wrote:

Best pun I've horde this season !

+1 Laughing Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We should all praise @Weathercam, as without his return to France, we wouldn't have @KenX's, genius pun.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Weathercam, is a Geordie. Who'd have thunk it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
KenX wrote:
davidof wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
KenX wrote:
davidof wrote:

Take a bow Sir! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Cheshire Police spent 3 hours rescuing folks from the Peaks yesterday. Seems quite a few people had decided to drive for an hour or two to see the snow on the hills.

22 People rescued, one was local to Cheshire.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/police-rescue-22-people-one-4850683
snow report
Quote:

When we have popped upto Frogham or hubby has gone across to the forest on his bike he keeps looking at number plates in the car park and getting rather cross

What do the number plates tell hubby? Is he a policeman who can find the home address of every number plate? Apart from private buyers of new cars, where the number plate of the car shows where it was first registered the number plate doesn't show where the car came from. A quick stoll up our street showed 1 local plate out of 20 cars. Yet all the cars belong to residents.
snow report
Just looked at the vagere livecam in Les Arcs https://en.lesarcs.com/livecams.html a family walked passed, smiled and waved at the cam - it made my day Smile
ski holidays
More hordes Happy

This time without winter tires.

ski holidays
johnE wrote:
Quote:

When we have popped upto Frogham or hubby has gone across to the forest on his bike he keeps looking at number plates in the car park and getting rather cross

What do the number plates tell hubby? Is he a policeman who can find the home address of every number plate? Apart from private buyers of new cars, where the number plate of the car shows where it was first registered the number plate doesn't show where the car came from. A quick stoll up our street showed 1 local plate out of 20 cars. Yet all the cars belong to residents.

I keep telling him they can easily migrate through the country and we have arguments over this (not least I feel much more live and let live over this!)

However lots of number plates have in small text the location of the dealer the car was bought from.

Though after his bike ride their yesterday he clearly jotted some down (was a camper van he suspected spent the night at least) and he went into a website which told him where it was first registered which was Manchester. I still pointed out that doesn’t mean it is still registered there.
latest report
Whilst people should try to stick to the rules, obsessing and stressing about others in that way is not good for his health.
snow conditions
@pam w, tell me about it!
snow conditions
@pam w, @NickyJ, yeah , but would be nice to think we are all in this together... Smile

I'm kidding of course: 'tut' loudly at those not following the rules (whatever they may be this hour) but live your own life.
ski holidays
The people who annoy me are the ones who step into the road without looking to avoid me on the pavement on a nice breezy day in the open air. I was on my bike the other day and some sixth sense told me someone was about to do just that and step into my path. And he did, daft sod. I shouted as he started to move (no time to ring the bell) and was very satisfied when he jumped out of his skin. Twisted Evil
snow report
Since containment is well past a possibility, the concept of geographical limitations make little sense other than to destroy people's happiness a liitle more. If someone is going out for a country walk it matters not one jot whether they have driven 10 mins or 2 hours to do so, it matters how long and who they mix with, particularly indoors.

Being a vigilante about it makes one IMV a bit of a dick and selfish at best.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 4-01-21 10:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
So based on what I've seen, and a mate who has six apartments very close to me with all of them booked this week, I'd guess that the hordes will be back in February as even with the lifts closed it's not put them off having their holiday, and there is a chance that restaurants and bars may well be open by then.

Is your mate not part of the problem then? Would be a lot fewer people if he closed his places.

Of course in practice I wouldn't expect him to do that, 2020 probably hit hard and 2021 potentially a lot harder...but then I'm not posting a thread complaining about people holidaying in the area wink NehNeh It's not specifically French though, it's pretty much everyone. I went karting the other night (which many would say was needless, but we're only recently Tier 3 and they're pretty good with the steps taken), what I wasn't expecting was a group of lads who we're pretty sure were down from London (not sure I'd bother travelling for 2hrs+ for a bit of karting, unless they were staying in the area for longer). Likewise there are people all over the National Parks etc.
latest report
With PCP and broker purchases, cars are registered all over the country. One broker was going to source a car from Scotland for me. Car I bought was registered in Kent, where I collected.
Perhaps should do as Germany - cars registered in residential town.
latest report
Quote:

Not a good idea with all these neurotic vigilantes at work.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I read the the Pope has jump on to this thread & is having a pop at the holiday makers.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
If someone is going out for a country walk it matters not one jot whether they have driven 10 mins or 2 hours to do so, it matters how long and who they mix with, particularly indoors.

I guess part of the problem is that those who drive a couple of hours to go for a country walk are more likely to be unfamiliar with the area, much like most of this lot.
ski holidays
@jebroni3_16, If it was so obvious that the Goyt Valley was going to get cut off by the snow then perhaps the police should have closed the road into it. And, are we really saying that people from Greater Manchester can't visit the Western half of the Peak District till coronavirus is over? When will that be, 2022? That article is having a go at someone from Stockport going to the Goyt Valley, many from Stockport would consider that local to them and it doesn't involve crossing any tier boundaries, Greater Manchester and Derbyshire are both tier 4.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Not a good idea with all these neurotic vigilantes at work.

But might persuade those as obvious as a t**d on a billiard table to be more circumspect??

And an Easyjet email this morning, to encourage travelling:

40% off flights, up to £300 off holidays
Make 2021 a year to remember for all the right reasons. There's 40% off 600,000 flights for travel up to October 2021 and up to £300 off package holidays for travel up to March 2022!

Book now, confident in the knowledge that our flights and holidays provide more flexibility and greater protection than ever before. Plus, if plans change, so can your booking – we've got you covered.

Sale ends Tuesday 19th January at 10pm.
snow report
@rambotion, exactly. Yes there are numbskulls when it comes to weather. But no-one should underestimate how quickly stuff can go sideways - literally in the case of cars with "average" well-worn summer tyres.
snow report
Jonny996 - people walking around with suitcases? Are all your hospitality venues closed then (they are here in Cornwall and we are only in Tier 3) It will be pretty miserable for people with no place to go and stay particularly with the cold weather! This is little thought of consequence of changing the rules with little thought of how people already outside their home towns/countries will manage with few trains, fewer aeroplanes and if they dont have a car they are stuck without a roof over their heads. Its a bit of a conundrum which I hadnt thought of before.
snow conditions
rambotion wrote:
@jebroni3_16, If it was so obvious that the Goyt Valley was going to get cut off by the snow then perhaps the police should have closed the road into it. And, are we really saying that people from Greater Manchester can't visit the Western half of the Peak District till coronavirus is over? When will that be, 2022? That article is having a go at someone from Stockport going to the Goyt Valley, many from Stockport would consider that local to them and it doesn't involve crossing any tier boundaries, Greater Manchester and Derbyshire are both tier 4.

Whilst in Tier 4 the rules are stay local. I don't consider driving for an hour or two to be staying local.

Many of the villages being swamped by tourists at the moment had a very low infection rate. Our town was 50 / 100k - one week later we are now 160 / 100k.

Our local police have stated it's been busier than a summer bank holiday.
snow report
NickyJ wrote:
johnE wrote:
Quote:

I keep telling him they can easily migrate through the country and we have arguments over this (not least I feel much more live and let live over this!)

However lots of number plates have in small text the location of the dealer the car was bought from.

Though after his bike ride their yesterday he clearly jotted some down (was a camper van he suspected spent the night at least) and he went into a website which told him where it was first registered which was Manchester. I still pointed out that doesn’t mean it is still registered there.

My car was purchased from a dealer some 70 miles away from where I live.

N. Yorkshire police have been stopping vehicles around here (near the Lancs/N Yorks/Cumbria border), asking where people have travelled from/heading to. Would like to hope they're fining people from out of area, but only know of their presence due to the fact my neighbour was stopped on his way home from visiting his mum (elderly, lives alone).
latest report
@FFIRMIN, I would say it is visiting family (thou that's not allowed) & the airbnb has come under fire as they are still being offered even thou again it's against the guidelines
snow conditions
@russ_e, My town has also quadrupled its infection rate over the last month, however being a town with no tourists, Didcot, no longer Oxford as my location says, it seems that there must be something other than hikers driving infection rates. And if, as your location suggests, you live in the Peak District*, you would know that the Goyt Valley is not 1 - 2 hours of driving but from the Davenport/Hazel Grove side it can be done in 30 minutes. Nowhere is local defined by law. Having thoroughly exhausted the lackluster countryside within walking distance of my house I drove for 20 minutes to the Chilterns at the weekend for a walk. Was that local? Did I endanger the people of Wallingford? Walking in a much larger area of countryside meant that I passed fewer people than when I walk on the comparatively crowded local paths.

It is attitude that I am fed up of with, that even comes from some of my own family members who still live in the Peak District, that those who live in the cities should stick to their tiny overcrowded parks while those who live in the touristy areas should be the sole ones allowed to walk in them when it seems incredible that day trippers fell walking contribute in a meaningful way to infection rates.

*Peaks isn't a recognised of abbreviation for the Peak District, if you must shorten it, it should be 'the Peak', adding the 's' suggests that you don't understand the etymology of the place and are likely not from the area. Of course, it's possible that you're from somewhere entirely different from the Peak District where Peaks is a recognised name in which case I apologise
latest report
Same here in Cornwall, there are rules for other people "not for me"!
snow report
@rambotion, here in Mordor the rule regarding "local" is quite clear - exercise must start and end at your home, you must not travel, e.g. drive to anywhere else, in order to undertake it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy