Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone got an AHC for their pet yet?

Poster: A snowHead
Is there maybe a danger French vet will check national chip register when you get passport stamped for return?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@kerb, that can possibly be overcome by renewing the application if necessary ? It is only compulsory to be registered on there if you are in France for over 3 months. Our vet didn't check at all, although ours was definitely registered. The vet charged us the fee and sent away the application themselves, as the website had a problem at the time and she couldn't complete her part of it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anyone got any recommendations for vets in Moutier/Albertville. Family gathering in Les Menuires 23-31 December so need to book a vet appointment for tapeworm treatment for our dog and worried that most will be emergency only during that week. Thanks.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Snowmadmum, not Moutiers/Albertville, but we used one in Aime a couple of weeks ago via a recommendation on here.

https://www.axivet.fr/

We took our own worming tablets which they were fine with. Charge was €43 for the appointment, and they spoke good English, as our French isn't up to the task!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Snowmadmum, the Clinique Trois Vallées in Moutiers is fine. Usually all are open every day except Sunday, probably closed on Xmas Day, but Boxing day is not a holiday.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks @swskier and @Hells Bells, will check them out
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Alastair Pink,
Here's a twist:
When checking in for Dover-Calais last week I used my Irish passport, not my UK one with Italian residence paperwork.
The dog was travelling on her Italian pet passport (which she has as a result of my Italian residence).
There were no questions at all about the pet passport and residence/length of stay, which makes me think that nobody has joined up the dots yet. Will they ever?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BUMP
Finally got around to having our dog made French! Interestingly the Vet needed 2 proofs of a French address, (we had a Tax Hab and EDF proof of contract)
whole process took 30 mins including worming tablet for coming back in using the AHC we came out on. (You cant use new French passport if you came out of UK with AHC apparently.) Vet signed and I signed the I-cad form which we then scanned and e mailed off to I-cad to register her existing chip. He gave us the French passport there end then. €92
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very interesting info.
Did you use Gaviglio in Aime?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Snowbikers, Nope - that's our usual vet here. But I was advised it was easier to use Dr Julien http://vetocoeurdaime.fr in Aime (near the Post Office) and indeed, it was very easy.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 20-01-23 18:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks,we use Gaviglio, I wasn't aware there was another vet in Aime. Thanks for the info
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Snowbikers, Dr Julien is a one man band as against Gaviglio's 3 vets. He also speaks excellent English. Its easiest to book an appointment by E mail - he replies within a couple of hours. He's an agricultural vet as well so can be out on farms for a few hours at a time. He did have a receptionist but she didn't appear to be in today.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@boredsurfin, got ours for our new addition on Tuesday. They just used the address that we had used for Lola last summer. ICAD form signed and posted off. He then had a new rabies jab as dates need to be the same as the reading of the chip, so we can't use passport for 21 days. We will leave France on the AHC, and French passport will be OK for our next visit. 68€ including the ICAD registration, rabies vaccine and issue of the new passport, which was less than the rabies vaccine alone cost in the UK.

@Nemisis, the pet passport has absolutely nothing to do with the residence status of any human, it is simply proof that a dog/cat had a rabies vaccine in the EU within the last 3 years. Some have recently obtained passports for their animals in several EU countries without a proof of EU address or residency. Different countries are interpreting it in different ways depending on the advice of their veterinary associations.
A friend thought they were 'bending the rules' giving us an EU passport for Odin, (and maybe for Lola too), but we were not asked if we were residents at any stage, only if we had a French address to register the ICAD to.
@Snowbikers, the vets in Moutiers are great. We've used them several times when we've left VT to go home.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hells Bells, Yes, both vets in Aime only require proof of a French address for I-cad to send the confirmation to, as I understand it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We got our French Pet passport at Gaviglio's last spring. They only required us to have an address for the iCAD registration which we completed the previous Christmas. They wouldn't issue a passport until we had the iCAD documents which unfortunately didn't arrive until after we had left that Christmas. Hence, we went back in the spring to complete the process.

Our UK vet is really pleased we got a passport arranged. Mainly because it is one less AHC she has to complete. She hates the paperwork and isn't really worth her time but she does them (£150).
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, We have added a puppy to the family and will be travelling to Italy in May (using an AHC). Once we are there I'll be getting an Italian passport for her and will ask whether or not residency is required (it was previously). As I said earlier in the thread, a friend who has a chalet in the Haute Savoie (and is there as an owner, not a resident) was able to get a French passport for her dog. (Dog's rabies expired during lockdown so it has not been renewed in the EU - pity).
ski holidays
Just a heads up that there is work going on near Pet Reception at Calais Eurotunnel. Usual lane is blocked off and signs seemed to indicate that check in staff were also dwaling with pets. This wasn't actually the case as there's another sign closer to the check in booths. Once there though staff very helpful and checked Odin's passport and said how sensible we were to obtain an EU one for him. No suggestion that this was no longer allowed.
latest report
Are all French vets now doing this as long as you have a French property address ? I would like to get this done but when I tried a couple of years ago it seemed problematic if we weren’t at the French address all the time etc? As they needed to post something etc? I have a place in Orelle so I’m is it easier to get it done somewhere near there ?

Cheers
latest report
@ajc2260626, It seems as long as you have a French address and proof of address (eg. Edf attestation) they will issue passport BUT the chip has to be registered by sending a form to icad. they then send a certificate to your French address to prove chip is registered. Some vets will trust you to send off the form and give passport there and then. Some want to see the chip registration certificate before issuing the passport.
ski holidays
I have a French council tax bill and will shortly have an energy acct as I will be doing it myself etc. who registers the chip? Does a vet have to do it or can I down load the form and send myself etc?
snow report
@ajc2260626, The vet fills in the chip form signs it then you sign it and post it off. I scanned the form and emailed it and got a very quick reply saying it has to be posted!
snow report
Our vet put it all in an envelope for us and we dropped it into the nearest post box.
snow conditions
So it’s registered with Icad and then I’m assuming you get sent something from French govt to say it’s registered to your address is France? Or does it just go an a database that the vets can check at later date etc? Ie do I need to get anything sent by post to French address? Very Happy
ski holidays
@ajc2260626, The icad chip registration is sent to your French address.
snow report
@boredsurfin, so you then take this to the vet when you get the passport etc?
snow conditions
@ajc2260626, no, the vet issues the icad form puts his sig and official stamp on it fills it in and you sign it and you have to put it in the post
ski holidays
So in the following order………vet for icad form with proof of address, icad form sent off to French govt, form returned to French address, next visit to vet take form and get French passport etc?
snow conditions
@ajc2260626, Vet also does full health check, and Rabies vaccination check against details in your AHC. Should be around €45 for the visit. Plus same again if stamping the AHC to leave France.
(If you bring dog in on an AHC you must take dog back out on AHC.)
Once you get the passport you can start using it when you come into France.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ajc2260626, our vet issued the passport at the same time as completing the ICAD form. She also gave the pup another rabies jab so that date of vaccination matches the date the chip was read by her. The passport then becomes valid in 21 days time, and can be used to leave France after that regardless of how you got in. Our pup needed to leave on the AHC because it wasn't 3 weeks after passport was issued. We were charged about 60€ including the rabies jab, passport issue and ICAD registration. We went back to get the tapeworm treatment before we left and that was entered onto page 4 of the AHC for the return trip. Eurotunnel staff at Calais also checked the passport was properly completed for our next trip back.
latest report
Just registered our hund in Austria at the vets and got the EU pet passport.

€21.40 vs the £100+ minimum per trip of the AHC.

Needless to say, the vet couldn't understand why we voted leave Laughing

#brexitdividend
snow conditions
The ridiculous thing is that the whole pet passport idea was actually a UK one in the first place.
ski holidays
Here's a niche one that people may or may not know an answer to....

Mrs swskier drove back to the UK last week mit der Hund. At pet control in Calais they told her he's fine going back on the Pet Passport, but when we return to Austria he'll need a new rabies jab or an AHC to travel.

The rabies jab predates the pet passport, but is in date until 2025.

So, if we get the vet to do him a new rabies jab, do we have to wait the usual 21 days after despite him having an already ok one, or are we going to have to pay for an AHC on this one occassion?

Brexit and bureaucracy, you have to love it Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
swskier wrote:

Mrs swskier drove back to the UK last week mit der Hund. At pet control in Calais they told her he's fine going back on the Pet Passport, but when we return to Austria he'll need a new rabies jab or and AHC to travel.

So, if we get the vet to do him a new rabies jab, do we have to wait the usual 21 days after despite him having an already ok one, or are we going to have to pay for an AHC on this one occassion?

Get an AHC then when she gets back to Austria get a new passport, that solves all future issues. Can't remember if we had to get a new rabies jab for ours (we have 3 and one was due for Rabies jab anyway). We did ours in 2020 and no one seemed to know what to do. Local vet asked Chief Vet in Kufstein who then asked someone in Vienna.
latest report
@swskier, is the passport a UK issued EU one or an Austrian EU one? If it is an EU one, then I assume you left the UK with an AHC? A UK pet passport is not valid anymore for travel TO the EU, but can be used to travel home again if rabies vaccine is in date, and worming treatment has been entered into it .
Abbeywell vets at Folkestone issue a lot of AHCs, they are also good at giving out advice, and can be contacted by email, they may be able to tell you if you can go back with current vaccination and passport or whether youj need a new AHC (you shouldn't need a new rabies vaccine though).
snow conditions
Chris_n wrote:
swskier wrote:

Mrs swskier drove back to the UK last week mit der Hund. At pet control in Calais they told her he's fine going back on the Pet Passport, but when we return to Austria he'll need a new rabies jab or and AHC to travel.

Get an AHC then when she gets back to Austria get a new passport, that solves all future issues. Can't remember if we had to get a new rabies jab for ours (we have 3 and one was due for Rabies jab anyway). We did ours in 2020 and no one seemed to know what to do. Local vet asked Chief Vet in Kufstein who then asked someone in Vienna.

The new passport is only a couple of weeks old, the issue is that the rabies jab is from Dec 2022, and I think the rules are that the rabies jab can't predate the initial passport date. So essentially we just need a new rabies jab, but don't know if the 21 day rule then applies.

It's a purely bureaucratic issue, because if we just paid for an AHC he'd be fine, but don't want to waste the money on the cost of an AHC when we'll also have to pay for a rabies jab regardless.

I've given my brexit voting mates some grief about it!
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, he travelled out on an AHC, and we subsequently got him an Austrian Passport.

It's literally a paperwork issue, because we can get him an AHC and he can travel, but from what the French told her, he can't travel on the passport.

Madness, i'll contact Abbeywell though, thanks.
snow report
Pre-Brexit our then dog had a new UK Pet Passport and, quite by chance, we took the previous one with us. Brittany Ferries checkin at Poole looked at the new one and said that whilst (maybe because) the (UK) rabies vaccination predated the new passport, we would be best advised to present both whenever checking in until she had her next booster.
Our current dog was vaccinated against rabies last year. She travelled out in May on an AHC and was issued with an Italian passport in June. She has since entered the UK twice without problems (P&O once, Irish Ferries once) - if you travelled Eurotunnel maybe it's their interpretation of the regulations.

I know, there was no need for the people at Poole to check the passport, but they did and I suspect that the advice was good!
ski holidays
When we got our French pet passport the vet insisted that we had a new rabies jab so that the dates matched up. Most times when we are at Calais there are people arguing the toss with the Eurotunnel pet reception staff as they had not got a new jab.
snow report
@swskier, ah OK, so the issue is the date of the rabies jab is before the issue of the new Austrian passport. Don't let a UK vet enter anything into the passport you have. It has to be done by an EU vet, so you possibly will need that AHC. A vet can complete the AHC without giving a new vaccination though. The 21 day rule shouldn't apply to a new jab though as the old one hasn't expired. Just get one done once you are back in Austria and before you travel back to the UK again.
snow conditions
@swskier, When this all came in we had same issue in that our German vet had put in the rabies jab date (we had to get a new one in Bavaria) before the first date of validity of the passport therefore it was an invalid document. We had to wait until 21 days after the jab was done before the passport was valid (seem to remember we had to go back to get them to stamp it after 21 days). Fortunately we still had the old UK passport which allowed us through into UK. I took the passport back to our vet and they issued a new one with the correct dates. I suspect your only option is to get another AHC and then get a new jab when you get home to validate the passport.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy