Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone got an AHC for their pet yet?

Poster: A snowHead
We used Abbeywell vets https://animalhealthcertificate.online/ at Folkestone today before coming over on the train. Took about 5 minutes to collect, the only problem was finding somewhere reasonably close to park the motorhome. Subsequent AHCs are £75.

At the pet check-in a British lady with Italian residency and an Italian dog with Italian pet passport was getting turned away for whatever reason and taking a lot of time about it.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wish us luck, folks! First trip back to France with our EU Pet Passport tomorrow!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Matt1959, fingers very tightly crossed for you. If you left France with it, it should be good to go back.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Hells Bells, I'll give you a wave from the A1 tomorrow. Will let everyone know how we get on!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
First time going Folkstone - Calais with the French Pet Passport and no problems at all. Eurotunnel deserted as we are going against the returning half term traffic!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Matt1959, great to hear.
I’d be interested to hear about your route from East Lothian with your dog.
We do Edinburgh to Ashford day 1, day 2 is longer but easier drive in it tunnel then down to StG.
Do you spread it over the 2 days
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Jonny996, I'm in North Berwick, so it's A1 down past Peterborough, A14 to Cambridge and then M11, M25 & M20 to the tunnel. Normally we stop off at our kids in London but on this trip we are in the Holiday Inn just on the French side. (Good for dogs too). Something like 8 hrs drive plus stops today to get to Folkestone.

Sometimes we do it over two days, sometimes over three. Tomorrow we are staying with some friends south of Dijon.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have just been to France climbing for 5 weeks with wife and dog, no problem with AHC, expensive and drove our vet mad filling it in. Usual tapeworm treatment required to return, and fit to travel certificate.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just rang our vet to book AHC ready for Christmas trip to be told sorry, we stopped doing them last month!! However, try PassPets.
They are based in Havant and only charge £99.00 our vet was talking about £150+

https://www.passpets.co.uk

All booked in and sorted so far so good.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@boredsurfin, we used a similar service in Folkestone which we picked up on our way to Eurotunnel. I believe the passpets one is a vet working at home.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@boredsurfin, are you going to get the dog a french passport when you are out there?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Jonny996, Maybe
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Massive shout to anyone who has a French passport for their pet and maybe have not checked the fine detail.

Yesterday a guy was nigh on in tears in Eurotunnel pet control as his dog's documents were wrong and he was going to have to leave the dog with friends.

And the woman dealing with us told us how Brits who think they have French pet passports are having horrendous issues, she had to refuse TEN in one shift last week as the rabies / microchip dates were out of sync.

I would have thought that Eurotunnel staff should have spotted that at Calais when the people were coming back with the passports first time round

I posted the above on our WhatsApp group and two out of three of us did have the date entered incorrectly on checking the passport.

One of them rang Defra this morning and response below

Having rang DEFRA, Border Control and P&O. Our French Pet Passport is invalid!

The French vet had entered the inspection date instead of the fitting date of Charlie’s Chip rendering his earlier but In date rabies vaccination invalid, customs won’t accept earlier or corresponding, corroborating paperwork or certificates as proof. So we are now forced to get UK Health Check at £250! It has to be done 10 days before traveling, we’ve got 11
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Weathercam, We’ve done 2 x Calais and 1 x Folkestone boarding on our new passport no problems. Our vet (Dr Jacob, Abondance) seem to know what they’re doing and in fact asked us this week if our previous trips had gone smoothly.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Matt1959, ironically the guy above and our other friends, we all went to the same vet, though whether it was the same practicioner?
snow report
So I’m assuming there are two boxes ? One for fitting date (earlier date) and one for inspections date (later one) I seem to remember that someone posted a pic with it the wrong way round to illustrate ?
ski holidays
@Weathercam, two points. The AHC has to be done within 10 days of travel not 10 days before, so could be done 10 minutes before, so there's no panic there. Folkestone vets charge £98 and is 5 minutes from Eurotunnel and not too far from Dover and sort it all out very quickly. It can all be done by phone and email, with a quick check of the chip at the vets before they hand over the certificate.
Shame it has to be done though.
I am sure ours from the same vet practice is correct but I will treble check again later when I can get to the passports. She'd already done 20 or so by the time she did ours.
snow report
@Hells Bells, I've forwarded that on to him as he probably got his knickers in a twist.

They travel out in a motorhome and often spend the night at Folkestone so that would work for them.

And yes we all went to the same vet as you, so do check, she even left the "date of issue" off the passport on one of the Jack's but that was not critical.
snow report
@Weathercam, I was already aware of others travelling (but from other vets) that had difficulty with the same issue, so I'm pretty sure the info in ours is directly copied from the UK passports, but no harm in checking again now while I still have time to do something about it.
snow conditions
Weathercam, did your vet booster the rabies when he did your passport? We did as our vet said it could cause complications if we didn't.

That means the date the chip was read (he crossed out implantation side of the / ) is the same as the date of the vaccination on our dog's passport. We travelled back to UK with it, but as you point out, entering the EU again is another matter! We will hopefully find that it is correct next Monday.
ski holidays
@Snowbikers, yes they had their boosters a month or so after the passports were done so as to alleviate any potential issues.

But like I said, I think the Eurotunnel staff were very lax at Calais and should have done thorough checks for potential re-entry back to Europe and identify any issues there and then.
snow conditions
Would it be possible for someone to upload correct versions of the ahic and French passport for reference ?
latest report
@ajc2260626, there's a facebook group with everything you need. I'll try and add here, but it might take me a while.
latest report
@Hells Bells, that would be great. I’ll get the missus to check Facebook out etc. Is it just search for “ahic” I assume Very Happy
snow report
Animal Health Certificate is the group. There's lots of crap on there but also some useful stuff like copies of the forms and EU passports correctly completed.
snow report
That’s great I will check it out!
latest report
I had previously signed the Parliament online petition “Seek to rejoin the EU pet passport scheme”: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/593806.
Overnight I have received notification that it is going to be debated tomorrow in Westminster Hall. Unfortunately it's part of "Westminster Gasworks" rather than a law changing processs, but it might show some movement in our problem.
snow conditions
@Nemisis, Just had that too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Digging this thread up, as we're taking our dog away with us in June.

Looking for some experiences with vets for the tapeworm treatment on the way home.

Do people tend to just get that sorted wherever they are before returning home? Needs to be done up to 5 days before but no less than 24 hours before.

At the moment we're not sure where we're going to be, so I guess we need to plan our trip then find a local vet who can do it? It's likely to be in the alps so I would imagine plenty of English speaking vets available to us.
ski holidays
My experience of vets in France (not only “the Alps”) is that whilst many are relieved to have a French speaking customer they have sufficient English that there isn't a problem. When I first took a pet to the vet in Italy to discuss worming he read the passport wording (in English), looked up a local website/facebook page and proceeded to phone the author of the page and tell him what he had got wrong! And this was a guy who only spoke to me in Italian.
In plain English it's "tapeworm" but in technical English it's Echinococcus which translates to Échinocoque. If you still have a UK pet passport from before Brexit I am sure that any vet will realise what you need. I have never seen an AHC so cannot comment on the wording.
Once you know where you are going to be 3 or 4 days before you are due to arrive back in the UK, you could do a lot worse than ask here about local vets.
snow report
@swskier, just Google the local vet in the town you will be visiting on one of the appropriate days and make an appointment. The term in our French passport is 'Traitement contre l'echinococcos' but I find it is simple enough to just say your are going back to the UK. They will know what you want. Vet needs to put this in the box at the bottom of page 4 of the Animal Health certificate which is in any case in French and English if you are entering Europe via a French port.

I've usd vets in Briancon, Moutiers and the Dolomites. There's also one in Bourg D'Oisan, Albertville etc. You could even use one at one of your overnight stops on the way back as long as there is sufficient time interval.
ski holidays
@Nemisis, @Hells Bells, thank you both.

He's in for his Rabies jab today, and AHC booked for back end of May ready for the start of June trip.

We'll make a solid plan of where we're going, then actually look in to booking a vet, but I think we should be ok as any vet between roughly Bourg St Maurice and Calais should be fine, and there's plenty between the two!
latest report
The German word for the worm is "Fuchsbandwurm" and the treatment is called "Milbemax", you ask for "Fuchsbandwurm Tabletten für die Einreise nach Grossbritannien". In practice 99% of vets speak perfect English.
ski holidays
@swskier, If you are going to be in BSM, we lived in Macot for a while and our nearest vet was "Clinique vétérinaire des Drs Gaviglio, François et Delsarte" which close to the Route Nationale at Aime, just behind Decathlon. I didn't try speaking English with them, but I am sure language will not be a problem. It shows on Google Maps.
ski holidays
@Nemisis, thanks.

Original plan was to do a tour of Germany and Austria, then we were in Morzine and the missus decided she wanted to do there instead.

Airbnb's looking a bit scarce so looked at Tignes as we were there over easter, but we're going to be around before anything opens up, so now considering elsewhere, but could still end up around the BSM area. Chamonix also on the potentials, so I imagine there's plenty of choice around there as well.
ski holidays
@swskier, there are two vets in BSM. The one we have used a few times is the Cabinet Vétérinaire Saint-Bernard. The other is Cabinet Vétérinaire Todesco Robert who we haven't used.

More recently, we have been using the same vet that @Nemisis mentioned behind Decathlon in Aime. We started to use this one when our usual one above was closed for a holiday but continued to use them as they seemed to be happy for us to take our own worming tablets (Milbermax) to use. Some of the other brands (including the one the French vets seem to supply) make our dog vomit a few hours after taking them and so this works better for us. Note, that if you do use your own, you need to check that it is a brand permitted for return to the UK.

Once you know your return plans, I would recommend ringing for an appointment a few weeks before to check that are open and also to get an appointment booked in.

Travelling with a dog is all straightforward once you have your paperwork sorted. We prefer Eurotunnel as the crossing is quick and you stay in the car with your dog. Their pet check-in centres are pretty efficient too
latest report
@sno trax, thanks. Eurotunnel for us as well, for those exact reasons you've mentioned.

We actually did some more research in to places to stay etc, and it's looking like we'll be in Chamonix in the run up to our return, so i've found a vets and dropped them an email to check we can book in etc etc.

Thanks everyone for the help.
snow report
The French authorities have clarified the circumstances under which an EU Pet Passport can be issued to UK visitors. https://www.thelocal.fr/20220523/french-government-clarifies-post-brexit-rules-on-pets-for-second-home-owners/?cx_campaign=fb_content&tpcc=news_open

Basically it looks like if you are staying in France for longer than 90 days (which usually requires a visa for humans) your pet can be registered and get a Pet Passport, but those staying less than three months at a time will have to continue to use the AHC.
latest report
Looking for a bit of help here. we got our dog the French passport Oct 2021 & the vet gave us a form to send away with cheque for 9.23 euro. As you can guess we forgot.
On reading it , it looks like you had to send it off within 48 hours.
I have looked at the french pet passport & it doesn't look like it is missing anything or there is a space for anything to be stuck to.

Anyway I ramble but does anyone know if I will hit problems come time to travel with the dog this summer?
snow report
@Jonny996 I wouldn't worry about it. They have no way at Eurotunnel of linking that up to the animal passport, and we weren't asked to show ours at all.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy