Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone got an AHC for their pet yet?

Poster: A snowHead
On "motorhomefun" forum where a similar thread has been running, some people are getting £80 quotes. A number of people on there are rushing in to getting eu pet passports.

Personally I reckon, because of NI situation, it will all change within a year and we will end up part 1 listed, especially once our borders start to inspect EU animal imports in a few months time.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just to resurrect this thread.

The OH and I were having a debate over the merits of an EU Passport or keep with the UK one.

We visited the French Vet last week in advance of returning to the UK and asked him if it was something he could do as we'll be French residents, to which the answer was "yes" but the dogs would have to have a new chip and we're getting a French pup anyway in four weeks.

So the next debate with the OH was about what advantages would there be, over an EU vs the UK one, as it seems the UK passport is still valid, so is the AHC no more?

Again we could not agree so I suggested we ask when we arrive at Eurotunnel Pet control, and there was not a unanimous "yes" from the staff but they thought that a French / EU passport would be the better option.

So have to say I'm still pretty confused as to what do you now need to take your dogs to France as there are no checks taking your dog into France ??
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think that this has changed....see the bit below.

https://www.gov.uk/bring-pet-to-great-britain/pet-passport

Pet passport and other documents

You’ll need one of the following documents to enter Great Britain (England, Wales and Scotland) with a pet:

a pet passport, if you’re travelling from a ‘Part 1’ listed country, **** see here >>> or if it was issued in Great Britain before 1 January 2021 ****
an Animal Health Certificate (AHC) issued in Great Britain – valid up to 4 months after it was issued.

**** So are we now saying that a UK Pet Passport is OK???
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Matt1959 wrote:
**** So are we now saying that a UK Pet Passport is OK???

@Matt1959, well that's my understanding as I travelled yesterday back to the UK with two dogs and their UK passports sans issue after seeing the Vet in France and getting the usual checks and stamps etc
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Weathercam, Many thanks. So now we need someone who has travelled from the UK to France to tell us how that went!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Weathercam, it is fine to travel back to the UK with the UK pet passport, but not to leave again. You will need the AHC when you go back to France, or an EU-issued pet passport.
I am also not sure why you would need a new chip for a French pet passport, surely you would just need to have the address changed with Petlog (other registration databases are available) to your new one?

https://www.gov.uk/taking-your-pet-abroad/travelling-to-an-eu-country-or-northern-ireland
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agree with Hells Bells re the chip - on the AHC facey forum plenty of people have obtained EU passports for their previously UK passported dogs without needing a new chip.
Unfortunately, the more expensive option will be the AHC to get back to France.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weathercam wrote:
take your dogs to France as there are no checks taking your dog into France ??

Anecdotally, people have gone to Ireland with their AHC and never been asked for any documents, even with the dogs barking inside the car!
I guess if you don't have an AHC you would be illegally importing an animal - whether the French actually care or do anything about it...... shrug, shrug....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Scamper, you have to check in Folkestone with your pet now. https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/travelling-with-us/travelling-with-your-pet/checklist/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hells Bells, same at Newcastle ferry, although that was true even before Brexit.

Unless the UK sorts out a better deal I envisage us getting the AHC to leave the UK and then an EU passport for the dogs once over there.
Time yet, we're unlikely to go across until the next ski season.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well guys the French vet definitely told us that about the chip after he went and checked things out.

English chip is between the shoulder blades and the French one in the tendon of the neck.

Also when I asked the staff at Eurotunnel about taking dogs back to France and I mentioned an AHC they said nothing was needed.

Talk about being given dud / inaccurate information everywhere similar to UK Border patrol yesterday when I asked them when / how / from is the fifth day calculated and they admitted that they were not too sure.

And on the Gov website it says that you can't do a the "test to release" test until you have been in England for 5 full days, and today we've both been rung up by people checking on us and when we asked them in two separate conversations they categorically stated that we can take the Test to Release on the 5th day so major Rolling Eyes Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The problem I envisage with obtaining a French pet passport is getting the annual boosters done on time. Easy if you are resident but there seems to be a lot of people on the motorhome forum not thinking ahead about not being able to make it to an eu vet at the right time.

And in any case, I think it's probably only a matter of time before the eu decides to recognise the UK pet passport, in fact they are pushing for alignment now in the Northern Ireland negitiations.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@BoardieK, as we visit (usually) several times per year, and most motorhomers spend long periods away, then I suspect it won't be that much of an issue, you just have to time it right. We'll sort the AHC for our first trip, and suck it and see. Rabies vaccines aren't due for at least another year.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From what I read many european, especially Spanish, vets use a rabies vaccine requiring annual revaccination.
Like yourself, we are just going with AHC for a year and see how it pans out.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well folks we're going back in under four weeks, so I will try and get something in writing from Eurotunnel etc

Don't fancy chancing it, but I might get the AHC and then not visit the check-in just to see what happens.

And how much do you think we've been quoted from a French vet to get one of the dogs' teeth cleaned under anaesthetic?

Hint, I think it's very reasonable.
snow report
@Weathercam, well a friend here had a £700 bill for her cat last week.
snow report
@Hells Bells, €166
snow report
@Weathercam, I asked Eurotunnel in January about the arrangements, as we were vaguely hoping March might be an option, and was told we would have to check the dogs in at Folkestone with the AHC and that our UK passport would not be valid to leave the country. If you check in at Calais without first going to the Pet check-in, you can't check yourselves in as we did once forget in our haste to catch an earlier shuttle but from the website it looks like it is in Folkestone passenger terminal, so after check-in.
snow conditions
I have no direct experience of getting a pet passport in France, but in Italy there is no need for a new chip. On the other hand, the declared owner must be an Italian resident. Whether or not he/she must then travel with the pet is a different matter!
We changed vet in Italy a few years ago and the first vet was annual vaccination, curent vet administers a three year vaccination.
ski holidays
Our local vet in Austria consulted the local authorities and was told not to issue EU passports to non residents. There is no need for a new microchip but she does sometimes have difficulty finding one of our dogs chip.
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
@Hells Bells, €166

Wow, that really is good.
snow report
He have been told by our local U.K. vet that our pup’s Czech passport, which we obtained when importing her from CZ breeder in JAN, is fine for travel back to France and AHC not needed. She did say however we need all the ongoing vaccines and meds administered and logged by EU vets, and not in U.K., for the passport to remain valid for future trips to France. Plan is to take her to French vet in August to get annual rabies and anything else sorted.
snow conditions
Hells Bells wrote:
Weathercam wrote:
@Hells Bells, €166

Wow, that really is good.

Sorry to stick my vetty oar in!
That’s a reasonable price for a descale. About what I would charge in Dorset. The £700 cat will presumably have had several extractions. Generally french vets will have lower costs. For comparability, ask the french vet what his rent is......

Back on thread, for those considering just getting an AHC and seeing how it goes, there is no downside to getting an eu passport (if you can). But if you return on an AHC and the regulations don’t change, you will need a new AHC EVERY time you travel.

If a vet insists on inserting a new chip, find another vet. There is no need for it, it’s disastrous for the actual intended purpose of a chip, and it’s placing petty bureaucracy ahead of animal welfare.
latest report
@gilo, thanks, so when we're back in France soon I can see an interesting conversation coming up re the Chip Laughing

Just came across this website https://www.pettravel.com/immigration/France.cfm and they state:

The first step to prepare your dog, cat or ferret to enter France is to have your pet microchipped with an ISO 11784/11785 compliant 15 digit pet microchip.

So looks like bite the bullet and get AHC to travel back and then get the EU passports sorted once there, minus a micro-chip.

Friends are going to France Tuesday by ferry with their cat, and I'm pretty sure they were just relying on the passport so I've just contacted them, potentially throwing a spanner in their travel plans, but think they'll just hide the cat in their large motor-home Laughing
snow conditions
@gilo, not meant to be a downer on UK vet charges, I'm usually defending you all.
latest report
We just paid £340 for a full descale on our 13 year old dog including one tiny extraction.

I think we will stick to AHC, I can't be fussed with the hassle of having to go on an unscheduled eu trip just to get the dog vaccinated if plans change. That would blow years of savings.
latest report
Timely coincidence Very Happy

Could French pet passports save fees for regular travel with pets?
Connexion has looked into whether a pet passport is a more affordable alternative to the new UK 'animal health certificates' (AHCs)

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Brexit/Could-French-pet-passports-save-fees-for-regular-travel-with-pets-over-the-new-UK-animal-health-certificates-AHCs
ski holidays
Thanks Weathercam, that's interesting.

This bit... "A UK government spokeswoman said: “We are clear that we meet all the animal health requirements for Part 1 listed status and will continue to press the Commission on this.".... I'm speculating, but I imagine in the "Get Brexit Done" rush there was never time to address all the issues and I can't think that people's pets were very high up the list. Let's hope it is something that can be aligned as before.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hells Bells, ha ha, sorry if I was a bit over defensive! Bit of a trigger for me! Disputes over dental costs are common and normally based on misperception as to what’s actually been done, descale vs simple extractions vs complex surgical work.
latest report
@Scamper, it’s all entirely political, by definition we met all the requirements previously. The real irony is that for years the UK resisted diluting the regulations (as we don’t have rabies and various other nasties) and now the eu is vehemently defending rules that were primarily designed to protect the uk..... Toofy Grin
snow report
gilo wrote:
...it’s all entirely political, by definition we met all the requirements previously ... Toofy Grin
Er, yes, Brexit is entirely political. I think those who voted for it will point out that they knew this and voted for it anyway.
ski holidays
Best to get stuff straight if we are going to be allowed to travel this summer, so I've emailed the vets and await their response.
snow report
Please post feedback
latest report
@Jonny996, don't worry I will do. No reply as yet, but I expect they've passed it on to the relevant vet. In the old days, we used to work next door, so would have just dropped in.
snow report
Our local vets are still to do one of these so I think there will be a learning curve. The estimated price seems to be creeping up though Laughing
ski holidays
I'm going to try and contact Eurotunnel as I had the French Vet check the dogs only ten days ago, and I'll be travelling again in two weeks, so why the feck do I need another check will be where I'm coming from, think it's worth having a go ?
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
I'm going to try and contact Eurotunnel as I had the French Vet check the dogs only ten days ago, and I'll be travelling again in two weeks, so why the feck do I need another check will be where I'm coming from, think it's worth having a go ?

By all means try, but regardless of logic I expect the response wil be "rules are rules and have to be followed"....
latest report
@Weathercam, But surely Eurotunnel are just going to say it’s a matter for French border control. Even if they say Ok, what stops someone in Folkestone saying Non?
snow report
@Matt1959, friends went last week with their cat, once they went to the animal check-in that was it, not further checks by French border control.

I was just thinking that I always get the invoice from the vet which shows what they did and the date, so I might email that to them as well asking etc

But looking again at the Gov AHC site think I'm on a hiding to nothing rolling eyes

https://www.gov.uk/taking-your-pet-abroad/getting-an-animal-health-certificate-
snow report
@Weathercam, I’m afraid you have to stop applying logic and start applying rules. AHC is single use within 10d of production. Get an eu passport if you can.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy