Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flaine/Avoriaz/Alpe D'huez or other?

Poster: A snowHead
Reaort advice needed please.

Mid to late Jan next year 2nd family trip. Looking for a resort geared towards young children, youngest will be 3 so somewhere she can have fun and pehaps a very playful, light introduction to skiing.
Would prefer to self cater, and ideally a decent sized resort that has abit to see and do for my wife who may not ski everyday.

Leaning towards Flaine or Avoriaz due to close proximity to Geneva but suggestions very welcome.
Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You have mentioned Avoriaz, but if it was me I would be inclined to look at Les Gets within the Porte de Soleil. Nicer place to stay than Avoriaz I would say, proper town and great skiing. Good nursery area, there is a ice rink in the town and a carousel and also lots of thing going on at the bottom of the slopes at night. My favourite place to return to and my son and his friends learned to ski there. We also used the ESF nursery which is well run.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ronnierocket, sounds great thanks.
Will definitely have a look
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Flaine has very little to do other than skiing really. A few shops but not a village. Morzine is good for things to do but you have to get up the hill to ski. Also have a look at Samoens but again a cable car to the skiing.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You might want to consider la Clusaz:
Very Happy 50-minute drive from GVA
Very Happy awarded a “Famille Plus” mountain designation https://www.familleplus.fr/fr/destinations/montagne
Very Happy the ESF in la Clusaz operates a Club Piou Piou for your 3-year old https://www.ski-school-laclusaz.com/little-children
Very Happy la Clusaz is a pretty Savoie village with all the bells and whistles for non-skiing activities (shopping, skating rink, aquatic center, horse riding, etc.)
Very Happy nearby ski area, le Grand Bornard, makes for a nice day or two

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 8-01-21 15:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think it depends what you're looking for/how big your group.

I've not done Flaine so can't comment but for the other 2 you're thinking of:

"Just a family of 4 with 2 young children" with the possible and of "The adults are good skiers who can do a lot of miles in a couple of hours of Piou-Piou peace and quiet" - Avoriaz would be a good match. While I wouldn't call it "pretty" for a French mountain top resort it's not outstandingly ugly either, plenty of small apartments for rent and a good pool. Also very short transfer from Geneva with loads of shared minibus transfer companies (€65pp return this year) if you didn't want to drive.

"We're all beginners/early improvers" and especially if "We also have grandparents/friends/etc so a bigger group" - The Alpe D'Huez ski area, though look at accomodation options in Oz en Oisans as well as AD'H village. Perfect area for beginners/improvers but an experienced skier can ski everything in a day. AD'H village is bigger/has more going on and while it does have some newer/nicer looking alpine chalets much of it has been hit hard with the ugly stick. Oz is tiny, so nothing going on but also empty as soon as the lifts close, so feels very safe and has seen less of the ugly stick, with a lot of alpine chalets.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Flaine and the connecting areas have got some nice and gentle slopes, from a non-parent opinion they look brilliant for the family but I might be wrong ...

But as said above not much happening in town. Maybe the other towns around it such as Samoens or Les Carroz got a little more happening
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just for a contrary viewpoint - I've been to all the above resorts with young kids, when ours were younger and the one that worked best for us was Avoriaz. I would second the advice that Les Gets is very good for beginners, but don't discount the ease of being ski in, ski out, when it comes to lugging gear about for kids, there's a lot to be said for keeping things easy. L'Amara in Avoriaz is very nice and worth having a look at.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We took ours at similar age. Went to La Clusaz to start and very good for children. Then to Les Carroz twice, and then ADH again twice. Both were suitable, but probably best suited of the 3 was ADH. We stayed close to the ice rink and pool, and bucket lift was just outside the apartment. The bowl above ADH is great for learners and it's easy to get back to for lunchtimes, end of lessons etc.

I've not stayed at Avoriaz, but have been to Chatel and there certainly seems a fair amount for younger children at Avoriaz, but other SH's have and will let you know.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks to all above!
Great insights and opinions.

Seems they are all worth a visit Laughing

AD being the only resort I've been to, but being a lads trip in my early 20s didn't really have family skiing in mind, although I do remember a big town, with great wide easy runs into resorts and of course the ice rink.

I am very much torn between the ski in/out convenience of Flaine/Avoriaz and the alpine village feel of some of the other resorts mentioned.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Brooky, save the alpine feel for when the kids are older. At that age you really just need convenience and the ski in/ out others have mentioned. I think Avoriaz is actually quite lovely for families and you can always take the cable car and bus down to Morzine if you wanted to. We have a place in Morzine and I would even book an apartment for us in Avoriaz in the future as I think it’s ideal.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd tend to think smaller ski area. Unless you have child care you are going to be able to do stacks of skiing yourself and kids won't need too much. Lift passes also cheaper and you get more bang for your buck accommodation wise.

For example we went to La Norma when the kids were young and I think we should have done more of those sort of places at that time.

I've heard Les Gets mentioned louds on here for this sort of trip but never been.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Layne wrote:

I've heard Les Gets mentioned louds on here for this sort of trip but never been.

Same with me, then I went twice and ended up buying a chalet!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Flaine doesn't strike me as being very child-friendly (for a beginner child, at least) and there's very little to do outside of skiing. I do really like Flaine for many reasons, but it doesn't seem that well suited to your requirements.

ADH has plenty of easy skiing easily accessible, but would second the advice about getting accommodation as close to ski in/out as possible with kids. I dont think it's that far from Grenoble either.

I don't know Avoriaz.

I think you're right to focus on the kind of altitude you are - this time last year Flaine was OK, but lower bases in the ski area weren't in great shape. It is a bit of a lottery, but aiming for a high base (but not too high for the kids) is probably sensible.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Avoriaz gives you (albeit i've never been in) the great swimming area in the form of Aquariaz, which might be worth considering what with it being a family holiday.
ski holidays
milzibkit wrote:
I think you're right to focus on the kind of altitude you are - this time last year Flaine was OK, but lower bases in the ski area weren't in great shape. It is a bit of a lottery, but aiming for a high base (but not too high for the kids) is probably sensible.

A lot of resorts have nursery/beginner slopes higher up these days. Top of Lac Noir/Plan Bois above Montchavin Les Coches, top of Peisey above Vallandry, top of the bubble out of Oz-en-Oisan or Les Contamines are examples that spring to mind.
snow report
@Brooky, Avoriaz every time for me! It's literally geared up for families so absolutely perfect. It's in the mountains, rather than in a ski town - so no cars driving around, so it retains that fairytale quality. Mostly horse and carts trotting around. We arrived at the top of the Prodains lift to be greeted by a horse and cart, which took us to our apartment. You couldn't wipe the excitement off the kids faces.

Being all snowy with no roads, there are lots of little sledging spots for the little ones (literally they are all sledging off little slopes everwhere).

Plus it has ice rinks, carousels, and Aquariaz (which is an indoor family waterpark).

And great ski schools - village de enfants in literally in the middle of the resort all set up for the little ones.

And all ski-in/ski out.

Worth checking out this video reviewing the resort...

http://youtube.com/v/2UOAPnhbo9E

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 8-01-21 15:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Downside of Avoriaz is being a bit more restricted if it's windy, but I do really like the area.
snow conditions
Layne wrote:

I've heard Les Gets mentioned louds on here for this sort of trip but never been.”

“Same with me, then I went twice and ended up buying a chalet!”

Not very good at this quoting stuff and the last quote was Chattonmill.

We went to Les Gets for a day in 1999, bought a bit of land, built a chalet and had 18 or so lovely years there before we sold a couple of years ago.
snow report
Les Gets sounds good - Is it ski in / ski out resort? I have 3 kids under 8 and the last thing I want to be doing is dragging kids gear here there and everywhere on and off buses etc.
ski holidays
Thanks again for all the responses.

All very useful.

@jimmytwoburgers, I also have 3 kids under 8 so I'm with you on that!

@Handy Turnip, thanks for the vid, looks great and @Nadenoodlee, 's suggestion of getting the bus/cable car down to Morzine to explore etc sounds ideal. Does anyone know if these links to Morzine continue into the evening, to allow restaurant visits etc?
ski holidays
Quote:

Does anyone know if these links to Morzine continue into the evening, to allow restaurant visits etc?

Don't think they do, but with 3 under 8's you're not going to be doing that, they'll be far too tired! First time we took the kids skiing, my 5 year old took himself off to bed for a nap between end of skiing and dinner - unheard of, normally he wanted to be the last man standing and you had to fight him into bed.
snow report
Brooky wrote:
Thanks again for all the responses.

All very useful.

@jimmytwoburgers, I also have 3 kids under 8 so I'm with you on that!

@Handy Turnip, thanks for the vid, looks great and @Nadenoodlee, 's suggestion of getting the bus/cable car down to Morzine to explore etc sounds ideal. Does anyone know if these links to Morzine continue into the evening, to allow restaurant visits etc?

I think we might be in a similar boat! I am also looking for next year, my kids will be 3,7 and 8 then. I have got Courchevel booked this year for March but doubt it will go ahead. Next year we will have to go in Feb half term and Courchevel looking very expensive so looking for other options. I like the sound of Les Gets and Avoriaz, seems like there is lots of non skiing stuff to do. Will have to see what accommodation is available.
snow conditions
@Brooky, the cable car runs until later but you will need to get a taxi Morzine to Prodains which is 20€ and easy to prebook, buses stop at 6:30/7ish. But as others have said your kids will be knackered
ski holidays
@jimmytwoburgers, not for most accommodation. There is some slope side but it’s a cable car or a chair up in the morning
latest report
Ha ha. Perhaps I was a little ambitious there.

Well how easy is it to go down to Morzine as a pedestrian in the daytime then please?

My wife isn't an avid skier and will more than likely have a day or 2 off the slopes having a wander round with our 3 year old (which is were some of the more authentic villlage/town resorts may shine), is it easy and convenient to go down to Morzine for the day to browse around the town, or does it involve several lifts and more suited on skis?

Or is the bus easier?
snow report
@Nadenoodlee, thanks
snow conditions
@Brooky, very easy - Prodains cable car and regular free bus into town.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
@Brooky, very easy - Prodains cable car and regular free bus into town.

Or a walk to Super Morzine and down from there
latest report
@DJL, yes but quite a bit longer. I’d save that route for a day when you want a good walk and lunch at La Grenouille
snow conditions
@DJL, walk to s-m? Crikey! Good legs.
ski holidays
We did it one summer, Pre La Joux to Morzine for lunch via Pierre Longue, Rochassons, Chaux Fleurie lifts, walk to Lindarets chair then walk down to Super Morzine. Wander round town, lunch, return by reverse route.

Made a nice day out and I guess 2.5 hours each direction.

Must admit I’ve only done it by ski in winter but the route down to S-M is reasonably gentle. If a non-skier was looking to fill a day I think it would work OK.
ski holidays
Thanks guys.

Is the Prodains cable car liable to shut in bad weather? I presume not if it is the primary route into resort?
Just wondering if the weather closes in and you decided to have a day off and wander round Morzine whether the links are reliable in poor weather?
snow report
@Brooky, if it was extreme enough to close Prodains you wouldn’t want to be wandering round anywhere.
snow report
Laughing good point
ski holidays
To those asking about Les Gets. Probably not true ski in/ski out but there is a probably the best/nicest ski hire shop in the Alps sat the bottom of the slopes that let you leave your equipment in their shop overnight so you don't need to carry your equipment at the start or end of day. Literally across the road from the bottom of the slopes.

https://www.berthet-sports.com/en/berthet-sports-les-gets.html
snow report
Just a comment about ski in/out, don’t rule out places that aren’t as most rental shops will keep your gear and some have lockers on the top. When we were in Samoens it was great to go up in comfort and put ski boots on up top. Also, it was good for daughter when she finished at lunchtime to change into play clothes and mess around, drink hot chocolate up on the mountain.
latest report
@harrim51, I totally agree. On our first family trip to skiwelt Austria last year the initial thought of bus to gondola, gondola up to ski school with 2 young 1st timers was daunting, but lockers up at top of gondola made it fairly easy. Having said that I would be more than happy with ski in/out.

No clearer on where to go after listening to everyone, just perhaps have a different shortlist.
La Clusaz sounds better value and I know it's very easy to get to as I've passed near by several times on way to Chamonix. How does it compare to some of the others with young kids please? Ie. Nursery slopes around village etc.
ski holidays
ronnierocket wrote:
To those asking about Les Gets. Probably not true ski in/ski out but there is a probably the best/nicest ski hire shop in the Alps sat the bottom of the slopes that let you leave your equipment in their shop overnight so you don't need to carry your equipment at the start or end of day. Literally across the road from the bottom of the slopes.

https://www.berthet-sports.com/en/berthet-sports-les-gets.html

Agreed, we use Berthet Always welcomed like an old friend and some very knowledgeable and efficient Techs in there.
latest report
Brooky wrote:
Well how easy is it to go down to Morzine as a pedestrian in the daytime then please?

My wife isn't an avid skier and will more than likely have a day or 2 off the slopes having a wander round with our 3 year old (which is were some of the more authentic villlage/town resorts may shine), is it easy and convenient to go down to Morzine for the day to browse around the town, or does it involve several lifts and more suited on skis?

From Morzine you could ski to the Super-Morzine/gondola down...but then you're walking around the shops in ski boots. It's also a rather dull bit of skiing, especially coming back. While you can walk Avoriaz->Morzine following the route of the pistes/chair lifts I'm not sure if that's possible during the winter - not all resorts permit pedestrians on all lifts during the winter. A much better option would be to walk (much of it inside so dry and warm) through Avoriaz, take the Prodains gondola down, then the free bus from Prodains->Morzine. There's also the option to change buses to the pay one that takes you to Les Gets (~€1.50 single) for a bit of variety, and from there take the gondol up Mont Chery - a bit of wandering variety and the restaurant at the top of Mont Chery has a dedicated hot chocolate menu... (assuming you can take the Grand Ourse chair up to the top restaurant on foot).

You can also catch pay buses from Morzine to the villages down the valley, but I'd say there's not much point unles you want to get to the bigger supermarket in Montriond.

Or just realised you could also catch the other free ski bus from Morzine->Ardent, gondola up and either meet people for lunch in the Ardent bowl, or take the short walk down to "the goat village", a cluster of posher restaurants.

I'm not sure there's anywhere you can really go from Alpe D'Huez/Oz other than up to a few of the restaurants and the viewing platforms at the top of the gondolas.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy