Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How sharp are your edges?

Poster: A snowHead
The Streif, for the race down the Hahnenkamm in Kitzbuel. Bulletproof.

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It looked fairly grippy yesterday.

Helps to have multiple pairs of skis, you warm up on one pair then use a pair with freshly sharpened edges for the race.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do they go slow enough to edge? Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can you imagine the punter carnage in a normal year on monday or tuesday once the race was over and the fences taken down?
Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Even in March, the shady Steilhang is almost sheet ice with the blue markings still visible. The only difference is the 3' bumps on it which makes for a terrifying ski down! It is also much steeper than it looks on the TV and I suspect that all downhill courses are the same. It is another example of the huge difference in skill level between 'good' skiers and professionals.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Charliegolf, To go round corners.

When I watched it one year we tried to stand (off-piste) beside the Mauserfalle (Sp?) but people kept losing their footing and sliding all the way down. When the racers came we saw the UNDERSIDE of their skis, before they landed below us!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rungsp wrote:
Can you imagine the punter carnage in a normal year on monday or tuesday once the race was over and the fences taken down?
Shocked Shocked Shocked
When I was a kid I skied part of the race piste a week after the race (somewhere near the end, so not as steep as some parts) and frightened myself. Zero grip. More recently I skied the top most section of the OK race course in Val d'Isere the day it opened to the public after the race. I'd never seen an injected race course before and was staggered by how solid it was, like concrete.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have raced slalom on injected snow a few times, in Chamonix and Megeve. The final pitch in Megeve doesn't get much sun and one year the top 10cm was completely clear.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rjs wrote:
...one year the top 10cm was completely clear.
Shocked

I've occasionally skied pre-season in Tignes when there's been virtually no snow on top of the glacier ice. Hateful experience, but great training for dealing with what is commonly called 'icy snow' on pistes in the main season.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The first time I raced on an injected piste was the reserve DH piste in Les Arcs. It was so hard, one of my friends promptly bought a new pair of skis for the edges and lent them out once he had done his run! I lost a contact lens two-thirds of the way down as I had not blinked since leaving the start gate and my eyes had dried out.

Edit: I was racing a GS on the bottom half of the course, not a DH!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rob@rar, There is a lot of dirt in glacier ice that blunts your edges quickly.

Injected snow is great, it doesn't get ruts forming so is fair for everyone.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rungsp wrote:
Shocked Shocked Shocked

I did it in 1999 the day after race day (only my second ski trip) on a pair of elan ladies ski's with almost no edges (they were my then girlfriends, now wifes old pair). Probably the most scared and most falls ever.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Often wondered....When did this injecting the pistes with water lark start?

Presumably a relatively recent state of affairs, as they wouldn't have always had the technology?

Before that, what did they do to harden the piste? If anything...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mountainaddict, I would guess in the 80s, the Innsbruck Olympics DH doesn't look like a modern course at all but I can remember watching Klammer win the Hahnenkamm in 84 and it looking like this weekend. The introduction of snowmaking helped as you then have a water supply to the slope, just attach another pipe to one of the cannons, before that I guess you would put a tank on the back of a piste basher and just spray water on the surface.

You can also add salt or fertilizer to harden the surface when it is warm. It is a really good idea to clean your car including the steering wheel between racing in Scotland and trying to cross the channel.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I recall 3 of us back in 1971, the year Rolls Royce went bust (while we were in Austria - someone came into the bar with rhe news, and we all said 'don't be daft') on a very quiet morning, decided to ski down from the top, as quickly as we could. We timed it - took us 7.30 minutes - and we scared ourselves sh1tless. The we saw that racers were doing it in about 2 minutes ! Respect!
snow report
deerman wrote:
I recall 3 of us back in 1971, the year Rolls Royce went bust (while we were in Austria - someone came into the bar with rhe news, and we all said 'don't be daft') on a very quiet morning, decided to ski down from the top, as quickly as we could. We timed it - took us 7.30 minutes - and we scared ourselves sh1tless. The we saw that racers were doing it in about 2 minutes ! Respect!

That was a year before I first went skiing - doing that run in 7.5 minutes on the kit back then, gets my respect!
ski holidays
We've been discussing over in the FIS WC thread the Hahnenkamm race piste

Punter carnage:

http://youtube.com/v/IoLNdqh1jYQ
snow report
@ansta1, I did it in 1991 the Monday after the race. I hadn’t been skiing too many years. Took 15 minutes and I side slipped down one steep pitch that the racers jump.

We had a great instructor that week, for only 3 of us in his class. He’d had the honour of leading the V shaped formation ski team of instructors down the course in the build up to the race. Hans Haas, dairy farmer and ski instructor.

The atmosphere on the eve abd day of the race was electric.
snow report
@rob@rar
Wow. Great thread + great posting.
Please do keep it coming! Cheers; FG.
PS: Still waiting for yer videos . .
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
rjs wrote:
Shocked

I've occasionally skied pre-season in Tignes when there's been virtually no snow on top of the glacier ice. Hateful experience, but great training for dealing with what is commonly called 'icy snow' on pistes in the main season.

Rob I remember that week in Tignes. 2 runs on each edge and time to go home because our skis were blunt!
ski holidays
Need ice skates for that
snow conditions
To answer the op:

Not sharp enough for that!
latest report
Klamm Franzer wrote:
Even in March, the shady Steilhang is almost sheet ice with the blue markings still visible. The only difference is the 3' bumps on it which makes for a terrifying ski down! It is also much steeper than it looks on the TV and I suspect that all downhill courses are the same. It is another example of the huge difference in skill level between 'good' skiers and professionals.

I skied the Lauberhorn World Cup run in March a couple of years ago. There will still places where the sheet ice from the injecting made things quite challenging.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 24-01-21 15:16; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
stewart woodward wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
rjs wrote:
Shocked

Rob I remember that week in Tignes. 2 runs on each edge and time to go home because our skis were blunt!
Yup, that was it. Spent more time on the balcony sharpening my skis than anything else!
snow report
I haven't skied the race course per se as there are at least 2 sections which the regular piste does not use, I expect these are the steilhang and the mousefalle, however the rest of it is perfectly doable and is a regular red run.
However, that is with snow, not boilerplate injected ice.

We stopped at the points where the race deviates from the piste to look, and to my eyes at least, no sane person would ever say " yeah that looks fine, we'll go that way" ..
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/tYvZXw6Md8g
latest report
@ed48, that brightened up the morning, particularly the boarder in orange jacket tackling it prostrate bowling ball style!
ski holidays
I tried the steep pitch on the Kandahar at LesHouches on the Monday after the race. It was a sheet of ice and I could only do an out of control racing side slip with no prospect of stopping until the bottom. Watching the racers do it their skis barely touched the ground at all!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There was also 1st part Smile

http://youtube.com/v/imWZCTfhOFE
snow report
Last year's BB, when the only lift still open in the wind was the Cable up to Portavescovo, In the afternoon, @Admin led a team of Bravehearts on a few circuits.

Horrendous conditions. Wind must have been 40mph. At the top, you couldn't see anything below your knees due to wind blowing snow straight up the slope. Bottom was very icy, especially last 200m of the black run.

@Admin sharpened hi skis for every run. Rest of us had to make do. Sad After about 8 runs, my edges were shot. Did last 50m on my ar*e, next run, tried opposite edges, lost it at same point. rolling eyes

As it was well after 3pm, and lift looked like it was closing, took skis for a service and retired to the bar. Very Happy Very Happy

I think the rest got a couple more runs in before it closed.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy