Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix Snow Report 20/21

Poster: A snowHead
And now back to the snow reports.

Last nights forecast was for rain (or at least the one I read) - we got a few cm of snow.

It's Saturday so the hoards descend on the piste outside my window, so off to the nordic. Out early enough to be in front of the basher - Freshies

Pow turns are a bit harder when your boots have the structural integrity of soggy trainers Wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skinned up the forest track at Grand Montets yesterday which was very pleasant. Wouldn't advise skiing down the magic forest at the minute as it was pretty cruddy. We went to the mid-station and skied down pierre a ric which was pretty interesting. Very changeable snow with soft chop and icy hardpack coming at you quickly! Dodging the hordes skinning up the piste instead of the lovely forest track for some reason (?!) was interesting as well Very Happy

Was snowing heavily this morning but seems to have stopped now. Lots of rain due so I'm going to try to get out tomorrow before rain (and lockdown part 3...) ruins the fun for the foreseeable future.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anke deep light fresh over a lot more but cut up.

Below the road there is just enough to make it down to town.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We went for a little excursion to Plaine-Joux - and had face shots in places on way down. A nice hour or so up through the trees.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

http://youtube.com/v/nHFg5GdYbFI

Essential viewing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Now you've hit on something important @jbob. Just a bit disappointed of course to find the ones we usually buy only get 4 stars!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nice work.
I’d do it locally but all we have is Greggs!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I’m in the UK but looking at the cham meteo you could be on 5/5 by the weekend!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep weather looks crazy for the next few days, torrential rain/snow up high. Snowline looks to be fluctuating all over the place and it'll be unseasonably mild at 1000m Sad

PGHM have essentially 'closed the mountain' as far as they are able. They've said all marked randonee routes are officially closed and they advise against touring at all due to avi risk.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Meltus, as of last night up the Prarion piste as far as the Hors Pistes was OK. That may have changed.

Also, I have missed my window for blowing last night’s dry snow. Shocked We’ll see if the blower chains work when they are really needed!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yeah I think they've said you can still go to the 1600 restaurant but I can't say I'm enormously up for it. I think they've shut the road to all but buses, possibly from today? Or maybe just the weekend for the kandahar race.

As far as the weather goes it is utterly grim out there. Hasn't stopped raining all day and our road (Prom. Marie Paraidis by the Pelerins train station, is pretty flooded. Was ankle deep just now.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
https://www.chamoniarde.com/#

Good info, some even in English.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looks like skyway is opening. VB anyone?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
"Le Skyway Monte Bianco le 11 Février de 8h30 à 15h30 avec une fermeture d’exploitation les mardis et mercredis sur réservation.

Concernant l’accès au Skyway, pour le moment seuls les professionnels de la montagne titulaires d’un forfait MBU année Professionnel Guides seront acceptés sur l’installation et sur présentation du forfait en cours de validité. Les autres titulaires de forfaits MBU séjour, saison et année ne seront pas acceptés."

Arrived this afternoon ...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

REFUGE DE LORIAZ Has opened for take aways.
I love the skin up to the Loriaz. The ski back not so much. From the photos there’s a lot of snow up there.
snow conditions
@jbob, oh that's excellent news. It's a splendid excursion.
ski holidays
Everywhere around that neck of the woods is likely to be a bit busy. This morning I received a photo from a friend who lives in Le Buet showing a rammed car park and more crowds arriving. No FOMO for me today. For a change.
latest report
@HammondR, I love the Loriaz. Really nice people running it. I can’t imagine how much snow they must have shifted.
FOMO can’t wait to get back to something like normal.
snow report
https://www.reddit.com/r/skiing/comments/ljnxhx/went_hunting_for_some_birthday_pow_and_found_some/

Grand Montets yesterday - Lognan hut + another 20 mins skin. Snow was fabulous above Lognan. Still good below but you could feel the crud under the powder.
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/c4HkYfNQEBM
snow conditions
Skinned up to Lognan hut today in sublime sunshine. Loads of snow has fallen - too much! The ski down was a bit disappointing on my 102mm touring skis as I was thigh deep and could only go in a straight line Very Happy Very Happy Need some powder tourers! Will be good for a couple of days yet I'd hope.

Seemed like every ESF instructor in the Haute Savoie was lapping the Pierre a Ric (serviced by the gondola) today. B*stards! Wink
snow conditions
Not realy Cham, fromm Col du Forclaz

http://youtube.com/v/QMn3IlhMG10
latest report
Jeees you guys have scored with the snow Very Happy
snow conditions
@Idris, just about the first thing I have seen on here this winter which has made me feel as if I was missing out. You were obviously blessed with good snow for this time of year.

The section through the woods looks much better than usual, especially in descent. My normal recommendation would be to take 2 cars if possible and leave one lower down at La Caffe which can produce an even better finish (and hundreds of free extra feet of descent). Good oh.
ski holidays
Skinned up through the forest to the Posettes today. Skinning up through heavy, breakable crust on what was a very windy day didn't do much for morale.

Blowing a hoolie up top and given the poor snow we decided to ski down what would usually be the piste. Windblown powder for about 3 turns before becoming crust again. The actual piste down from the bopttom of the posettes drag was grim icy hardpack, mogulled once you got past midstation.

All in all - pretty uninspiring. Nothing like Idris' run from Forclaz!
snow conditions
@Meltus, Oops.

We took 3 never before randonneurs up from Maison Neuve to 1,600, mostly in sunshine, snow in great nick, had a nice picnic, and they all loved it. Result.

B-i-L struggled to find skis for them all, Concept rented out +/- whole fleet between last night and this morning, which surprised and delighted them.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@Meltus, Oops.

We took 3 never before randonneurs up from Maison Neuve to 1,600, mostly in sunshine, snow in great nick, had a nice picnic, and they all loved it. Result.

B-i-L struggled to find skis for them all, Concept rented out +/- whole fleet between last night and this morning, which surprised and delighted them.

I can throw my skis from maison neuve to 1600! Should've got them to start from the bottom like everyone else Wink

Glad they enjoyed it and you had a better day than me!
snow conditions
snowHead snowHead snowHead @Meltus,
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Its starting soon. Note restrictions on access.

https://www.chamonix.fr/actualites/1809-remplacement-de-la-telecabine-de-charamillon.html?fbclid=IwAR3fUyMnusvoGBurCRbDJrNQMflmHjbHVUHuKVtTCjUjskZpjb2h-P6L4tY
snow report
Winter came back, so we rushed out before spring took over.

http://youtube.com/v/jsj2JIxuyg0
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/HWvQrJB_mGA
ski holidays
@Idris, I did spot on the St Gervais webcams this morning that there had been some snow overnight on your next door ridge. (Can sometimes see the west side of Prarion on one of the views, but that was in cloud today). Not sure it will hold for you though!

And for once I don't need to ask where you were.
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/4o4bvVDG4E0
ski holidays
https://www.bergfex.com/grands-montets-chamonix/webcams/c9661/
Argentierre looking typically good for late season
snow conditions
Apparently 2m30 top of Index this morning ... Shocked

A damn shame!!

Reports of many bookings for rando skis for hire with the Aiguille opening tomorrow ...
ski holidays

Yesterday on the Aiguille du Midi. Deep fresh everywhere.

BUT the day before 2 dead on the Midi and yesterday 4 dead elsewhere (source PGHM).

1st was a young freerider dropping into the Couloir Cosmique and setting of a huge slab avalance
2nd was a older guide soloing the Cosmiques arete and on easy ground, the same slab layer avalanching him into the Vallee Blanche side.

There has been summit to valley natural slides in the Argentiere basin yesterday!
snow report
@Idris, yep the PGHM shots from the Col de l’Aiguille Verte slab are eye-opening!!
snow report
offpisteskiing wrote:
@Idris, yep the PGHM shots from the Col de l’Aiguille Verte slab are eye-opening!!

I've just had a look at that website (first time I've heard of PGHM) but can't see any pics Sad
latest report
@Bergmeister, it was on their facebook page if I recall... pretty sure it is logged w/ photos on Data Avalanche too (data-avalanche.org then “explore the database”).
snow report
Yet you see so many people posting Mallory, Eugster descents etc on social media, playing roulette, 1 or 2 days later. Even with a video of a natural slide on the way up the cable car coming down right in front of them...

The need for adrenalin and experiences seems to out way death and leaving a young family at home with a dead parent (or two even)...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy