Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ehic and replacement

Poster: A snowHead
@Android2000, Link ??

European Health Insurance Card gets mentioned here --

https://ec.europa.eu/transparency/regdoc/rep/1/2020/EN/COM-2020-857-F1-EN-ANNEX-1-PART-1.PDF

https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info/files/draft_eu-uk_trade_and_cooperation_agreement.pdf -- page 1240
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Android2000, What about EU citizens resident in the UK? Did you see anything about that in the Treaty? I am Irish resident in UK and looking at the NHS site it would appear I am eligible for a "new" EHIC as per @johnE post.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
johnE wrote:
I've just noticed this on the NHS website

Quote:

Using a new UK EHIC from 1 January 2021

Some people may be able to get a new UK-issued EHIC, which will remain valid after 1 January 2021.

You can apply if you're:

an EU, Swiss, Norwegian, Icelandic or Liechtenstein citizen living in the UK by 31 December 2020

Apply now for your new EHIC

I think I will claim my UK state pension.

Good spot, thanks for pointing it out
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just tried to renew our ehic cards that expire in July 21- nae luck. Will just have to see what the replacement scheme is. Apologies for being ignorant - but what advantage does the ehic/ghic have over comprehensive travel insurance with snow sports cover? We’ve always gone with family insurance via our bank- should we be looking for something better? Never had the occasion to need it - fingers crossed.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rookiescot wrote:
Just tried to renew our ehic cards that expire in July 21- nae luck. Will just have to see what the replacement scheme is. Apologies for being ignorant - but what advantage does the ehic/ghic have over comprehensive travel insurance with snow sports cover? We’ve always gone with family insurance via our bank- should we be looking for something better? Never had the occasion to need it - fingers crossed.
The advantage is that you are already entitled to that level of reciprocal healthcare and some travel insurance policies expect you to use EHIC cover where it is applicable. It's not a replacement for travel insurance, but an adjunct to it in some countries (which your travel insurance might require you to take advantage of in respect of some claims).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Iirc a lot of policies require you to use ehic to cover the bits it does before claiming on your own policy.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@albob, that looks like it just relates to UK citizens already residing in the EU27 and using EHIC for healthcare in other EU27 states.

@skimottaret, the UK government “New EHIC” system does indeed cover EU/EEA citizens resident in UK BUT it seems to exclude any dual nationals who were born in UK (not N Ireland) .
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When I claimed on Nationwide Flexplus travel insurance I had used a public hospital and EHIC. There was no excess to pay. Unlike using a private facility.
The Austrian Alpine Club insurance has modest pay outs for initial treatment, probably a private resort clinic, and expects person to be moved to public hospital and use EHIC.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
@rayscoops, how is it a “bonus”?

I believe the EHIC is linked to EU freedom of movement law (if people can settle anywhere in EU then they should have access to health care). U.K. wanted to keep the EHIC facility and has offered this to all EU Member States but only a few (3 maybe, Spain, Ireland & Portugal?) had taken this offer up. Obviously what we will have now is a bonus to what we could have ended up with and it seems that it may also be extended globally rather than be limited to just EU etc.

It looks like we will have an extended version of the EHIC that catches any reciprocal health cover with other countries (For Australia and New Zealand the agreements do not cover pre-existing conditions) but I don't think the 'global' tag covers everywhere, just that the card no doubt will cover countries where ever there is a reciprocal agreement, or may cover countries where there isn't any reciprocal agreement but where UK nationals travel in substantial numbers - this is just a guess though.

In the meantime it seems the EHIC cards issued before the end of 2020 will be valid until their expiry date for UK citizens in EU etc., but not sure if that covers EU nationals coming to UK though?
Edit - looks like it is a full reciprocal agreement with EU, extract from the draft agreement.
On healthcare, where the UK or an EU Member State is responsible for the healthcare of an individual, they will be entitled to reciprocal healthcare cover. This includes certain categories of cross-border workers and state pensioners who retire to the UK or to the EU.
118. In addition, the Protocol will ensure necessary healthcare provisions – akin to those provided by the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) scheme – continue. This means individuals who are temporarily staying in another country, for example a UK national who is in an EU Member State for a holiday, will have their necessary healthcare needs met for the period of their stay.
119. The Protocol also protects the ability of individuals to seek authorisation to receive planned medical treatment in the UK or the EU, funded by their responsible State.

So, anything that assists UK travellers is welcome, especially when the EU had refused a reciprocal agreement with UK for its member states.

All a bit sketchy with respect to detail but here is the original link to BBC on the first page of this thread because it may have been updated.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 28-12-20 8:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rayscoops, that is a very tortuous and tenuous and ultimately transparently futile argument for using “bonus”.

“I dropped my chainsaw and cut off one of my feet”

“Only one? That’s a bonus”

rolling eyes
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, my post was intended as an update, so please try to stay on topic as this thread is is aimed at being helpful to all of us that need to travel
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
@rayscoops, that is a very tortuous and tenuous and ultimately transparently futile argument for using “bonus”.

“I dropped my chainsaw and cut off one of my feet”

“Only one? That’s a bonus”

rolling eyes

I find that some will find the good in any situation and turn the negative into a positive whereas some will always look on the bleak side and always seem to be happiest when things are gloomy.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you for that info - I see the gov.uk page has been updated with mention of ghic. No link to apply for ghic as yet...

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/uk-residents-visiting-the-eueea-and-switzerland-healthcare
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Rookiescot, you can apply on the old NHS page which is linked on the page you reference above where its says

“If you apply for a card now, you'll get a new UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) instead of an EHIC. These pages and the application portal will still refer to EHIC until 4 January 2021.”

They just send you the new card
snow conditions
So clicking through to "apply for a EHIC/GHIC" on the NHS site ( https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/apply-for-a-free-ehic-european-health-insurance-card/ ) we learn this: "From 1 January 2021, GHICs and most UK EHICs will not cover you in Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland."

So with the new "Global" card we lose cover for four countries where EHIC previously worked. Still failing to see how this is a "bonus".... Puzzled
ski holidays
@shep, The CFTA is with the EU, but I am sure those countries will roll over a reciprocal EHIC related agreement shortly
snow conditions
rayscoops wrote:
@under a new name, my post was intended as an update, so please try to stay on topic as this thread is is aimed at being helpful to all of us that need to travel

I’ll do that as soon as you stop spinning everything you report as an improvement on the prior situation. NehNeh
latest report
I haven't seen any indication if it still works in reverse, i.e. do people who have an EU eCard need to buy health insurance to get emergency NHS treatment when visiting the UK?
snow report
@queenie pretty please, I thought that no-one furrin needed any card to get treatment on the NHS? (the whole point of brexshit?)

How will that have changed?
ski holidays
@under a new name, I'm certain that's not true. And I'm not exactly "furrin", but I no longer have an NHS number. We were initially told by the British Embassy in Vienna that we would need health insurance if we visit the UK, but I'm not sure if that advice will change in light of the "deal".
snow report
@queenie pretty please, it would follow that anything agreed between EU and UK in the withdrawal agreement will be reciprocal, so an Austrian EHIC card would allow healthcare in the UK if you visit.
snow report
queenie pretty please wrote:
I haven't seen any indication if it still works in reverse, i.e. do people who have an EU eCard need to buy health insurance to get emergency NHS treatment when visiting the UK?

As you are no longer a resident of the UK, then you are not entitled to an EHIC card.
You may want/need to check if Austria have a similar scheme that covers you in other countries.

You should still take out insurance & not rely on EHIC cover alone.
ski holidays
Mr.Egg wrote:
As you are no longer a resident of the UK, then you are not entitled to an EHIC card.
You may want/need to check if Austria have a similar scheme that covers you in other countries.
You may want to check your facts before posting nonsense.
ski holidays
As my post just a few up from this ... it looks like it is a full reciprocal agreement with EU, extract from the draft agreement.

On healthcare, where the UK or an EU Member State is responsible for the healthcare of an individual, they will be entitled to reciprocal healthcare cover. This includes certain categories of cross-border workers and state pensioners who retire to the UK or to the EU.
118. In addition, the Protocol will ensure necessary healthcare provisions – akin to those provided by the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) scheme – continue. This means individuals who are temporarily staying in another country, for example a UK national who is in an EU Member State for a holiday, will have their necessary healthcare needs met for the period of their stay.
119. The Protocol also protects the ability of individuals to seek authorisation to receive planned medical treatment in the UK or the EU, funded by their responsible State.
snow conditions
@rob@rar, I think you might struggle to get much sense from @Mr.Egg, and asking him to check his facts before posting is a bit of a waste of time frankly!
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

Unless you are drawing a UK pension or have one of the various E1xx form, then you are not entitled to a UK issued EHIC card if you reside abroad - Happy for you to show otherwise.
NHS is based on residency - not on citizenship.
snow conditions
Mr.Egg wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

Unless you are drawing a UK pension or have one of the various E1xx form, then you are not entitled to a UK issued EHIC card if you reside abroad - Happy for you to show otherwise.
You said she was not entitled to an EHIC Card. Is that correct...?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mr.Egg, - queenie is referring to her Austrian EHIC, which it appears is a right that has not been stolen from her - She's not asking about a UK issued one rolling eyes

(Sorry Rob wink )
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:

You said she was not entitled to an EHIC Card. Is that correct...?

and I also said You may want/need to check if Austria have a similar scheme that covers you in other countries.

as well as saying :-
You should still take out insurance & not rely on EHIC cover alone.

I must have missed a post if QPP said she already has an Austrian issued one.
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
and I also said You may want/need to check if Austria have a similar scheme that covers you in other countries.
You do understand that EHIC is not a UK initiative, and the UK is not the only country which issues EHIC cards, don't you?

It's not possible for a UK citizen in the UK to apply for an EHIC card at the moment. It is possible for an EU citizen living in the UK to apply for an EHIC card at the moment.
snow report
@queenie pretty please... as a matter of interest, why do you no longer have an NHS number? (It's not in itself any indicator that you are entitled to free NHS care).
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:

They do. It's called...

...wait for it...

...EHIC Very Happy
latest report
@pam w, my former GP surgery had a waiting list for new patients. When I first moved there I had to remain with my previous GP surgery 40 miles away until I moved up the list (just over a year). So when I left I notified them so that a new patient could take my place. I was also told to notify the PCT who deactivated my NHS number when I told them I had emigrated.
latest report
EU-issued cards (even to Brits) will still work in the UK.
And UK-issued cards whether EHIC/GHIC, issued to Brits or EU Nationals will still work in Europe.
Plus ça change....
snow report
I am suffering more than usual from brain fog and am now thoroughly confused. I am a UK national, with an EHIC theoretically valid until October 2023. Can I go on using it until it expires?
ski holidays
@Hurtle, yes
latest report
@skimottaret, thank you! Sorry to be dense.
snow report
@Hurtle, Yes

=== Whoops - cross post ====

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 29-12-20 10:51; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
No problem, skimottaretJunior is moving to France tomorrow and about 5 computers have been checking EHIC, border crossings, Tier areas, etc. etc... Smile Seems to change daily
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy