Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ehic and replacement

Poster: A snowHead
@NickYoung That's Europe the geography (plus Turkey and Egypt) so the hike may be how they handle one or more non-EU countries' coverage. But given that there is no cover if you travel against FO advice anyway (and thus fewer claims) then it's hard to judge the calculation they're making. I would imagine that they have massively fewer valid claims being made at the moment because the 'against FO advice' slices-out a big segment of their policyholders.

For me the judgement was whether to take up the policy now, knowing I'd most likely not be travelling until August anyway or not renew. If I took up the renewal now, then I'd be guaranteed cover as soon as the FO lifted restrictions but be wasting 6 months premium. If I leave it, then I save the money for 6 months but who knows what further loading they'll apply then and we might have to provide a panoply of vaccination and pre-travel infection certificates not needed now.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@LaForet, Very interesting - how can they sell you 12 months cover, knowing that a decent portion is "unusable" - sounds like mis-selling!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The EHIC agreement from 1 January 2021 is for your existing card to be valid for treatment in the EU until it expires, as Switzerland isn't in the EU the EHIC card doesn't provide cover.

The money saving expert article gives a decent overview https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/12/new-free-ghic-replaces-ehic/
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We renewed with mpi early nov, they said regardless of fco advice not to travel we would be covered for everything except cancellation due to covid, the premium was cheaper than last year, but to be fair it was for a shorter period . Makes no odds as we have flipped it to next year
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Travelling against Government advice usually means that you won’t be covered by your insurers, MPI as in the above example are one of the few that provides cover, best not to assume and check with your insurance company.

Mine has introduced covid rules which means I’m going to shop around when it next renews.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
LaForet wrote:
So a clarification. The LV= renewal quote came through just after I posted. It's gone up about 15% for Europe, multi-trip, plus sports. But in a way it's pointless to renew at the moment, because it disclaims all cover when travelling against FO advice. There's no mention anywhere of the EHIC being required, or not.

AS far as I can see the EHIC replacement hasn't been sorted for Switzerland (because it isn't in the EU?). There is nothing anywhere in the current UK:CH Reciprocal Agreement which I've read about any reciprocal health arrangements. I may be wrong of course, because I'm not inclined to do any further research beyond this. So I'm genuinely interested to know where exactly the documentation is for any new UK:CH EHIC or equivalent arrangements. And not press articles or even government press statements, but the underlying Ts+Cs agred between the two countries.

Thanks for the LV= link, but although useful it still read as ambiguous to me, which is why I rang them. At the moment, given we're both over-65, there's no way we'd travel anyway until we're both completed both inoculations. Which given we're Group 5 I suspect won't be for 6 months at least. So our conclusion at the moment is that we won't renew - once we know we're OK to travel, the FO have lifted their blacklisting, and the situation in France and Switzerland has itself stabilised then we'll just get new quotes when we decide to go. It might even be that by that time, there's a formal immunisation and test recognition mechanism in place that would help de-risk cover for insurers and reduce premiums. And a clearer situation re reciprocal healthcare charges.

Martin Lewis just seemed to say pensioners can still get the "old" EHIC - worth checking that out, it seems.

Fingers crossed for you.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@NickYoung, my understanding is that it’s for S1 EHIC card holders receiving a state pension and resident in the EU before 31 December, it was on another forum and I tried to apply but didn’t qualify.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm pretty sure that you can only have an S1 if you are of pension age and reside outside UK. In fact DHSS will will only send them to overseas addresses.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
radar wrote:
@NickYoung, my understanding is that it’s for S1 EHIC card holders receiving a state pension and resident in the EU before 31 December, it was on another forum and I tried to apply but didn’t qualify.

I'm sure you are right - I just caught a bit of what he said and hoped it solved some people's problems.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Claude B wrote:
I'm pretty sure that you can only have an S1 if you are of pension age and reside outside UK. In fact DHSS will will only send them to overseas addresses.

That's correct, my OH's S1 arrived here - when she applied for it that was before we knew that the EHIC would carry on as it were.

I'm investigating my situation with a company that helps ex-pats apply for residency and I sent them this morning.

I am 62 and have a private pension hence my enquiry about healthcare as I know I will need that, though that was when we thought EHIC would no longer be valid, but that has changed so do I just need some sort of insurance top-up?

So will let you all know how it pans out.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all and yes, I've successfully applied for the new GHIC for me and Mrs Laforêt and these should arrive in the next few weeks. Our existing EHICs are valid until June 2021 anyway. Both *HICs are now valid only in the EU27 - the 'flow down' cover that UK nationals resident in the UK previously got for Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein has gone (as before, the *HICs aren't valid in Turkey etc.). However, what it looks like from my recent LV= experience is that insurers will effectively 'do a USA' for the four new countries that need wider cover, and put the premium up a little, +15% being the uplift over the previous year in our case, which given the cost of serious medical treatments in CH and Iceland seems reasonable to me.

As a tip, if your browser uses very aggressive cookie blockers and similar strong filtering mechanisms, you may find you can't get the NHS GHIC Registration pages to load. And you may need to switch to a more vanilla/tolerant browser.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 8-01-21 17:56; edited 5 times in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I see some twonks have been quick off the mark and registered 'ghic.co.uk' to lure in the unsuspecting.

Only at the bottom of the page is a note that they are not affiliated to the NHS and that you can apply for a free card at the NHS website. They charge £35.00 !
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I know Snowheads are not stupid, but maybe a sticky here with the official link?

(I am stupid enough to get done on the 'land registry' scam site. Sad )
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Charliegolf, Just in case this is the official link

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/apply-for-a-free-ehic-european-health-insurance-card/
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
From the moneysavingexpert article:

UK nationals living, working or studying in the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland may also be able to apply for a new EHIC – see who can still apply. It appears their EHICs expired on 1 January 2021, but it's not entirely clear yet – we'll update this story when we know more.

So for those of us in CH who have an EHIC which still has a few years currency, the jury is still out.
snow conditions
@radar, Cheers mate, got it right this time lol.
ski holidays
I applied for a replacement EHIC card before the deadline but this morning a shiny new "UK Global Health Insurance Card" arrived complete with Union Jacks and everything.

I do wonder if the work 'Global' will mislead people.
snow report
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
I applied for a replacement EHIC card before the deadline but this morning a shiny new "UK Global Health Insurance Card" arrived complete with Union Jacks and everything.

I do wonder if the work 'Global' will mislead people.

No more than the word ”safe”.
snow report
Is there any way to get a card without the 'graffiti' on it?
latest report
@ropetow, yeah, just ask they'll make one especially for you Laughing
latest report
ropetow wrote:

Tippex?
latest report
"I do wonder if the work 'Global' will mislead people."

I gather the goal is to add other countries (eg Commonwealth) in due course.
ski holidays
@mitcva, Would be cool.
ski holidays
ropetow wrote:

I had some little EU stickers - it's not quite as embarrassing now!!
ski holidays
I rather like the look of it. Very Happy
snow report
The UK has a number of reciprocal healthcare agreements outside EEA countries, unrelated to our former membership of the EU or Brexit.

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/healthcare-when-travelling-abroad/travelling-outside-the-european-economic-area-eea/
ski holidays
Just FYI for anyone considering applying - our new GHICs took 5 weeks from submission to delivery. So not something you want to leave 'till the last minute.
snow conditions
Applied on 28 December, opened the letter today 25 February so it arrived maybe 6 days ago as sat in our post quarantine area before opening. (Letter with cards attached was dated 9 February)

If they could get it into the post on time and the post was usual pace then 5 weeks from application, but give it 7 to be sure.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Applied on the 12 Feb, arrived on the 23rd Feb. Maybe they have cleared the pre/post Brexit spike.
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:
@ropetow, yeah, just ask they'll make one especially for you Laughing

Its ok - we have a cunning plan to get one with a lot less red in it - ideally none.
ski holidays
Mine turned up in about a week.
latest report
i just applied to mine today, got to say a 5 year old could do a better job at designing the website
snow conditions
Jonny996 wrote:
i just applied to mine today, got to say a 5 year old could do a better job at designing the website

I doubt it, and I doubt that you could do better. The Gov.uk website is a model of simplicity and clarity. Some very careful thought has gone into it.
snow conditions
@LaForet, @ster, agreed on making sure you apply in time: ours turned up beginning Feb, having applied early December.

Logo very reminiscent of BA tailfins. Not in a good way.
ski holidays
Like many aspects of Brexit the GHIC will promise more while delivering less.
latest report
achilles wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:

I doubt it, and I doubt that you could do better. The Gov.uk website is a model of simplicity and clarity. Some very careful thought has gone into it.

Umm, no. Just no.

GDS (Government Digital Service) is a clusterfuck even by the standards of UK government IT projects - including the Covid Track and Trace system!

Just this week they have been trying to replace nice, legally compliant websites for the MoJ (Ministry of Justice) with ones that not only look worse, are significantly inferior in functionality and...unlike the ones they are replacing DON'T COMPLY WITH UK LAW!!! Hell, they don't even follow the web design priniciples taught to school children as part of GCES ITC - so while maybe a 5 year old couldn't do a better job a 15 year old could!
- https://www.theregister.com/2021/02/25/gds_ministry_of_justice_website_migration_calamity/
ski holidays
The theory of GDS was fine, but in practice, they always tended to cherry-pick easily-'webified' services to work on, and those generally were pretty small scale with minimal interfaces and minimal legacy components. So given an often clean slate, they did produce some good stuff, often quite quickly - in contrast to the glacial slowness of change to most major applications. But, most key Ministry services are hugely complex, with many different generations of technologies and platforms, loads of interfaces, and inherently complex data flows and tens of thousands of often demanding and pretty intelligent users. It was no surprise that GDS wanted to be let loose on some rather more core applications, and no surprise that they ended up perhaps biting off far more than they could chew. GDS is also full of Agile types who think that in-depth testing is old-fashioned and that all you need are a few SCRUM cycles to achieve a workable update, however complex the application architecture.
snow report
@LaForet, in English?
snow report
"Agile" basically means make it up as you go along. It the way kids want to program nowadays because they lack design skills or the patience to do it properly.
snow report
Mjit wrote:
achilles wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:

Umm, no. Just no.

GDS (Government Digital Service) is a clusterfuck even by the standards of UK government IT projects - including the Covid Track and Trace system!

Just this week they have been trying to replace nice, legally compliant websites for the MoJ (Ministry of Justice) with ones that not only look worse, are significantly inferior in functionality and...unlike the ones they are replacing DON'T COMPLY WITH UK LAW!!! Hell, they don't even follow the web design priniciples taught to school children as part of GCES ITC - so while maybe a 5 year old couldn't do a better job a 15 year old could!
- https://www.theregister.com/2021/02/25/gds_ministry_of_justice_website_migration_calamity/

Thanks for the link. There clearly has been a screw up of the MoJ site. OTOH, The parts of the gov.uk site I have used recently have been easy to read, easy to follow, and resulted in a good service. My activities have of course cover a tiny fraction of the site overall. Stuff like MOT sale of a vehicle, driving licence and LPA. From what I am reading here, GHIC and passport applications have worked well too.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy