Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What skiinh area in alps are likely to be open to foregoing Tourist in Jan?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Just looking a booking a last minute ski holiday. Just two of us, we’re both happy to have a test done before and we’re both in a position to quarantine before and after the trip.

Any idea what resorts in France, Italy or Austria are likely to be open to foreign EU tourists?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@vinf, many Austrian ski areas are now open for skiing, but tourism/hotels/accommodation/gastronomy closed until at least 17th Jan.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you. Do you know if airbnb is possible?

It seems a bit crazy that skiing is shut when I’m general you’re rearely in a position to spread the virus apart from at the apres ski.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@vinf, all accommodation is closed until at least 17th Jan, sorry. That includes anything that can be booked online. Skiing isn't shut, only tourism and gastronomy is shut.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@queenie pretty please, plenty available on Airbnb but no idea what happens if you actually try and book.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Euronews has top resorts for non skiers - https://www.euronews.com/2020/12/24/europe-s-7-best-ski-resorts-for-non-skiers

For Apres Ski: St Anton.

Doh!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another factor in Austria is that anyone entering the country from a high risk area (that means more than 100 cases per 100,000, I believe) has to go into quarantine for 10 days, till at least 10th January.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
vinf - I think we are living with a changing situation - even in Tier 3 areas the variant virus is escalating - I don't know if you have seen the figures but you might want to take a look. We made the decision not to travel to CH, although we had the window so to do on 18th, since travelling all the way across Europe and then mixing with friends and family from four countries as we usually do when skiing - some of them in their 60s and 70s - seemed rather contrary to the scientific advice.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It seems that Switzerland is the only option until mid Jan. Italy MIGHT open on the 7th but still unconfirmed. Austria and France shut at least until the middle of the month.

I would not advice you book now, literally wait for the last minute, as things can change a lot between now and 15th of Jan.

I am skiing locally and if places do reopen I will aim to go immediately, booking jusg a few days early (or just go by car)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Themasterpiece, legally Airbnb in Austria has to be registered tourist accommodation, collecting tourist tax, so they cannot operate at the moment.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@boyanr, France is still rumoured to be opening on the 7th. We'll see. Getting here might be a different thing, although I think it may be possible, with a PCR test, until Dec 31.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yea I understand that it’d be reckless, we are both in a position to isolate before and after going end since we will be keeping our distance at home, we thought why not do it while skiing as possible.

So it is still possible to fly to Switzerland?

Italy was where we were hoping to go to but it’s probably not likely they’ll open then.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@vinf, no it’s not possible to fly to Switzerland from the U.K. at the moment (unless you are a Swiss national or resident).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@vinf, realistically the chances of Brits being allowed to travel to CH this season is not looking likely . Lets hope everybody is vaccinated and ready to go next season
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jill t - actually not sure about that. Firstly the new variant will likely become widely established on the continent extremely quickly. It has spread at extraordinary speed even in Tier 3 areas. If it proves more contagious but less lethal, then limited travel may open up. Secondly, the vaccine may mean a 'vaccinated/not vaccinated' - 'restricted/not restricted' social divide may occur. Thirdly, the CH skiing industry is well aware that it needs income. Everything is occurring on a day-by-day basis at the moment.
ski holidays
I truly believe that more and more ski areas will open in January ... There have to be some measures established (re. "social distancing", mask wearing, indoor dining, lift capacity, apres ski etc.) ... with the right measures in place there could be safe skiing very soon ... whole different "holiday" experience but skiing nevertheless ...

A lot depends if this "Christmas/New Year" expected wave materializes or not. If there is no massive increase in number of cases by January 7th - we'll be good to go ...

Brits might have somewhat tougher time visiting the Alps this winter (considering current post Brexit confusion).
snow report
Crystal ski got silly cheap prices atm.
latest report
boyanr wrote:
It seems that Switzerland is the only option until mid Jan. Italy MIGHT open on the 7th but still unconfirmed. Austria and France shut at least until the middle of the month.

I would not advice you book now, literally wait for the last minute, as things can change a lot between now and 15th of Jan.

I am skiing locally and if places do reopen I will aim to go immediately, booking jusg a few days early (or just go by car)

Is Switzerland truly an option for arriving Brits?

No one from the UK is allowed in, mandatory quarantine on arrival enforced by the police who have information on the location of UK mobile phones, their hotels are fully complying. In addition CV19 metrics across the continent are awful and new nations each day are discovering the new variant.

I was as keen as anyone to get to The Alps, but at present we seem be in a European-wide repetition of March/April. I don’t know if Swiss and Austrian hospitals could cope with an additional influx of patients? Their initially independent spirit in not bowing to Merkel and Conte’s pressure, deflated.
snow report
Snow&skifan wrote:

Is Switzerland truly an option for arriving Brits?

No one from the UK is allowed in, mandatory quarantine on arrival enforced by the police who have information on the location of UK mobile phones, their hotels are fully complying. In addition CV19 metrics across the continent are awful and new nations each day are discovering the new variant.

No it’s not. If you try to get in from the U.K. you will be denied entry unless you have Swiss citizenship or residence.

Lots of people arriving in our village this afternoon. No Brits.

latest report
I would be coming from Ireland. So technically no issue with flights and no issue with visa etc. We would both isolate before travelling and would both isolate on our return but obviously can’t isolate at airport.

There are still flights to Milan from Dublin and we are in the middle of a lockdown here. Dolomites are due to open again on the 7th. I’d be very keen on trying to get over but not sure how reliable that is. Would happily go to France, Austria or Switzerland either.
ski holidays
vinf wrote:
I would be coming from Ireland. So technically no issue with flights and no issue with visa etc. We would both isolate before travelling and would both isolate on our return but obviously can’t isolate at airport.

There are still flights to Milan from Dublin and we are in the middle of a lockdown here. Dolomites are due to open again on the 7th. I’d be very keen on trying to get over but not sure how reliable that is. Would happily go to France, Austria or Switzerland either.

Milan is ok - get to Switzerland by train from there.
ski holidays
telford_mike wrote:
vinf wrote:

Milan is ok - get to Switzerland by train from there.

Will we be allowed into Switzerland from there?
snow conditions
Yes I believe so - I assume you have Irish passports?
ski holidays
vinf wrote:

Similarly keen to get out to the alps have flights booked from belfast to geneva on 30th Jan with easyjet.. flight seems fairly booked up looking at the seat allocations and going ahead (for now) expecting that to change a few times between now and then due to brexit and that - we will be travelling on irish passports also.

Our plan is to wait until the week prior to pay for everything - have airbnb & transfers provisionally organised for Morzine all being well but there's an awful lot of 'ifs' to be getting too excited just yet.
snow conditions
telford_mike wrote:
Yes I believe so - I assume you have Irish passports?

And you can pass between the Italian/French and Swiss border? I really thought it'd be incredibly strict.

Again, a lot can change between now and then and we'd both be getting tested before leaving to help if there was any confusion also.

What are peoples recommendation for the best Swiss resort? Does Zermatt have good skiing?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy