Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Panda vs Range Rover

Poster: A snowHead
A mate of mine had a Haflinger in the UK ~40 years ago, to cut a long story short, going down a steep incline, off road, the front grounded out on something, causing it to do a "stoppie" and catapulted the fat kid (not me) sat in the load bay over the cab to land face first in the pond sized puddle of muddy water at the bottom of the incline.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ski3 wrote:
"
@ski3,

Know of "Magna Steyr" (formaly "Steyr Daimler Puch") but didn't know they engineered the Panda 4x4."

Yes, the MK1 even had the company's logo in a badge on the tail gate.

I think they only "engineered" the 4x4 / rear axle part of the drivetrain ? The rest was normal panda ? They certainly go rusty the same as a normal panda ! We were going to get one for fun but the prices have gone through the roof.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skitow wrote:
ski3 wrote:
"
@ski3,

Know of "Magna Steyr" (formaly "Steyr Daimler Puch") but didn't know they engineered the Panda 4x4."

Yes, the MK1 even had the company's logo in a badge on the tail gate.

I think they only "engineered" the 4x4 / rear axle part of the drivetrain ? The rest was normal panda ? They certainly go rusty the same as a normal panda ! We were going to get one for fun but the prices have gone through the roof.

It's a unique "whole" transmission installation. The front driven panda has no provision to drive auxiliary shaft to facilitate transfer to rear of vehicle.
The development includes drive out from front differential rearward, in addition to normal layout, and effectively converts it to that 4x4 design.
They are acknowledged as industry experts that many manufacturers turn to in designing integral 4x4 systems for existing vehicles.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well, all I can say is that the RR in that video must have had really terrible summer tyres with no tread left as even on the stock all season (with official Snow and Mud symbol) the RR Sport is really great in the snow. It's a huge step ahead of the X5, for example. The Land Rover systems are very clever, but if you have bald tyres then nothing is going to work on packed down ice.

I have had 2 RR Sports (have a 2020 one now) and ran one with full winter tyres and one on the stock all season. I drove to Tignes / Val and between the two in huge storms on both sets of tyres. The winters completely made the car almost invincible. But having also driven on the stock tyres in deep snow as well, I'm not changing them this year on the off chance we get snow. It's overkill. But you must have tyres that have more than 5mm of tread, if you go below this then the performance on the AS tyres will start to go down significantly.

Winter tyres will ALWAYS be better and the Panda on full winters will be a formidable car. But the RR is amazing also and a lot more comfortable .. lol
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Magna Steyr have quite an impessive CV - better than most "brands" when it comes down to it when you look at what they have developed and manufactured - Audi TT, Aston Martin Rapide, 4matic for Mercedes, X3, iPace.....

(i know often they are used as a pilot plant to get the model launched while "own facility" manufacture is set up)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Alex A wrote:
Well, all I can say is that the RR in that video must have had really terrible summer tyres with no tread left as even on the stock all season (with official Snow and Mud symbol) the RR Sport is really great in the snow. It's a huge step ahead of the X5, for example. The Land Rover systems are very clever, but if you have bald tyres then nothing is going to work on packed down ice.

I have had 2 RR Sports (have a 2020 one now) and ran one with full winter tyres and one on the stock all season. I drove to Tignes / Val and between the two in huge storms on both sets of tyres. The winters completely made the car almost invincible. But having also driven on the stock tyres in deep snow as well, I'm not changing them this year on the off chance we get snow. It's overkill. But you must have tyres that have more than 5mm of tread, if you go below this then the performance on the AS tyres will start to go down significantly.

Winter tyres will ALWAYS be better and the Panda on full winters will be a formidable car. But the RR is amazing also and a lot more comfortable .. lol

I know the Pandas with the old fashioned hammock rear seat are more comfortable - as mentioned previously I used one as a house in Greece for nearly 6 months and it was a great sleep if I had the boot open and a good blanket.
Certainly, No one ever thought I was a footballer, a person with a small willy, or had the name Tarquin (actually they drive Vogues, not Sports), or overwhelmingly boorish about my wealth and exhibiting my status on the M25.
For us with memories of many trips and car hires in Southern Europe in the 80s and 90s the Panda (or Seat versions in Spain) is simply the most brilliant thing for something so low down the engineering evolutionary scale, except for the one where the clutch caught fire racing scooter gangs in Naples. Never has such a rubbish car been as fun as a Panda. Sadly the new ones are not the same.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes Smile Smile Smile Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think this is what I need for skiing, although it is a Renault Sad

http://youtube.com/v/Zkbsdkjqsxo
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@davidof, When I went skiing in Bansko it was a similar Russion truck that transported skiers from the town to the ski area
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Perfect Very Happy Lada Niva, Saint Nizier du Moucherotte

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@johnE, I would put a tiny house on mine
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can confirm they love the snow, could do with a bit more power for steeper inclines.
Engaging the 4x4 with a clunk of the lever was very satisfying!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

http://youtube.com/v/XCDCa9IvjgE
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB wrote:
http://youtube.com/v/XCDCa9IvjgE

and the Panda wasn't totally wrecked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another one bites the Duster

http://youtube.com/v/wc-pp-Lb4yg
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

I like my chances in this rig
snow report
Haha - wide vs narrow tyres...this one could run and run! Suffice to say pressure on the ground is just the weight of the car devided by the surface area of the tyre's contact patch. The RR weighs much more and even with bigger tyres probably has higher ground pressure. But on ice you want less pressure spread over a big area (as you don't sink into ice). You'd be better letting air out of the tyres to get a bigger contact patch of rubber. Also, width of the tyre doesn't affect the size of the contact patch, only its shape. You want as big a contact patch of the stickiest winter rubber moving the lightest vehicle. For ice - snow is different. Sorry, couldn't help myself! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
"Steyr Puch" -> "You steer, I'll push".
There are two or three Haflingers in the hills near Lake Garda - my local mechanic tells me that (at 50+ years old!) they are expensive to keep on the road. In the 1970's my father worked for a construction compoany which was the bigest customer in the UK for the Renault 4 van. Fitted with a gearbox guard and four Michelin M+S they were "go anywhere" on construction sites, as good as the Land Rovers at a third of the price.
snow report
@Nemisis, interesting ... re Renault 4 van (with the little ladder flap above the rear door - nice feature) ...exactly what I mentioned re farmers on Salisbury Plain....I had one with the gearbox guard, and with the gearbox right out in front of the engine you needed it....
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
Another one bites the Duster

http://youtube.com/v/wc-pp-Lb4yg

R4 winter tyres, competent driver.

2wd Duster With summer tyres.

I rest my case.
snow conditions
Angus Grizzly wrote:
Haha - wide vs narrow tyres...this one could run and run!

I know someone in the UK who never drives their 'normal' car if it's snowed. Instead the open the garage and fire up the 1920s/30s Austin 7 with it's 4"/10cm wide tyres.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy