Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

VERY SAD about Christmas ... BUT

Poster: A snowHead
TheGeneralist wrote:
This thread is indeed classic Snowheads. Bit of a brag about having a home in the Alps, telling us all what a huge amount of skiing your darlings get and then finishing by saying what a huge sacrifice you're going to make this year by.....
Shock horror, not driving across to partake in your expensive hobby during lockdown.

Oh the humanity.

And this post is about inferiority complex Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The internet is full of lovely people who are full of great info and share it willingly, it also seems to contain a lot of people whose main interest is causing arguments and are full of hate and jealousy, my gran used to say if you cant say something nice shut your trap, just about sums it up
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@robs1, Very wise your Gran
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@robs1, I sometimes have to remind myself that there are a lot more of the former on snowHeads and that's why the latter stick out like very annoying sore thumbs.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Seagull66 wrote:
@robs1, Very wise your Gran

She was and I owe my financial position to her foresight and I never forget it.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

In most places it would be assumed as a given that OP would bin his plans. What I find interesting is that people call that out as being worthy of additional respect rather than just baseline human decency.

It certainly does feel like a parallel universe on here at times!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lots of people have posted looking for guidance on where to go skiing (and had informed and helpful responses) and some people have already done been skiing (and been applauded and envied). None has attracted the level of opprobium the OP on this thread has. It's odd.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
valais2 wrote:
For twenty years we have skied for eight weeks a year - my kids have had a white Christmas every year, perched in our old family home in the Valais. We are not going. We could. But we have decided that it is just not right. With ISGHL being implicated as a hub of infection in early 2020, it seems wrong to drive across and then mix with Swiss and German friends in the way we love so much. We think we already have had COVID - in February. We will get vaccinations as soon as we can. Maybe then.....but not now. SAD.

priceless.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
(The Internet)....also seems to contain a lot of people whose main interest is causing arguments and are full of hate and jealousy
Spot on that. I just don't understand why it can bring out the worst in some folk...

Unfortunately, this site seems to have recently attracted a number of people who are being just downright nasty for no good reason.

What is wrong with people? It's just awful and so unnecessary Confused
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@mountainaddict, +1
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@valais2, have you and the mrs had an antibody test?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
(The Internet)....also seems to contain a lot of people whose main interest is causing arguments and are full of hate and jealousy
Spot on that. I just don't understand why it can bring out the worst in some folk...

Unfortunately, this site seems to have recently attracted a number of people who are being just downright nasty for no good reason.

What is wrong with people? It's just awful and so unnecessary Confused

Maybe they are locked down in Tier 3 and would otherwise be twiddling their thumbs Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimastaaah wrote:
valais2 wrote:
For twenty years we have skied for eight weeks a year - my kids have had a white Christmas every year, perched in our old family home in the Valais. We are not going. We could. But we have decided that it is just not right. With ISGHL being implicated as a hub of infection in early 2020, it seems wrong to drive across and then mix with Swiss and German friends in the way we love so much. We think we already have had COVID - in February. We will get vaccinations as soon as we can. Maybe then.....but not now. SAD.

priceless.

It was certainly top trolling by Valais, well played sir. I especially liked the line "oh it's just an old shed", brilliant.

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Holidaylover - no we enquired but the antibody test became available quite a bit later and would have been insensitive to earlier infection.

Davidof now don't be silly; you know that's the neighbour's hovel...if you look to the left in the photo you can just about see the side of our shack...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
valais2 wrote:
Holidaylover - no we enquired but the antibody test became available quite a bit later and would have been insensitive to earlier infection.
My parents were infected in the second and third weeks of March. Both had an antibody test last week, both positive for antibodies at very high levels. I don’t think you should assume that your antibodies will have declined to undetectable levels even for an infection at the start of the pandemic in the UK.
ski holidays
rob rar that's really interesting ... we enquired and that's what we were told. I am going into the local surgery for a flu vaccination this week and will re-enquire based on your parents' experience. Very helpful. Many thanks.
latest report
valais2 wrote:
rob rar that's really interesting ... we enquired and that's what we were told. I am going into the local surgery for a flu vaccination this week and will re-enquire based on your parents' experience. Very helpful. Many thanks.
They booked the test online and did it at home with testingforall.org. That a not for profit organisation that was recommended here on snowHeads, and they use the antibody test kits from Roche which is one of two tests approved for use I the UK. Test kit arrives at home via the post, your stab your finger a couple of times to fill a small vial its blood, resister your sample in their website and post it to their laboratory. My parents got their results back I five days, most of which appeared to be delays in the postal service. My father was asymptomatic when he had Covid having caught the disease at his local hospital, so it was a surprise when he tested positive for antibodies nine months later, with a high antibody count. My mother caught the infection from my father and was very poorly and took a long time to recover. Her positive result was one of the highest that testingforall.org had recorded (203 on the Roche scale). It’s not an absolute guarantee that you are immune to further infection if you test positive nor will a negative result definitively say that you have never been infected, but it’s useful info which might help with your decision making.
snow report
@valais2,

I see you posted exactly the same post on the single track forum and got as many negative replies. Where you trolling deliberately?

All a bit bizarre really Puzzled
ski holidays
Sparkzter? Nope.....Nope not me, don’t post on Singletrack.

This is all getting a bit weird.

We’re in the middle of a pandemic. I’ve been working extremely hard to keep some key public policy things going in the UK. I am very tired. The winter is the time I do the thing which I really love, and the time when we see old family friends for two weeks. I will miss it. My kids will miss it. I genuinely don’t know how to interpret the science regarding the personal safety of going to the Alps by car and spending two weeks doing socially-distanced skiing, or the implications on others of us going re disease transmission. And that’s it. That’s our decision. The Austrian authorities still feel that social transmission was a serious thing in March, but that was before social distancing was implemented. But then, rates are escalating here even in high tier settings. And epidemiologists are expecting a spike after Christmas - they genuinely are VERY concerned about it.

It would possible for us to jump in the car, hit the ferry, go skiing, come back, pay for testing, and get the kids back into school. But it doesn’t feel right to do that, in the light of pandemic. I am prepared to skip a Christmas in the hope that Feb and Easter will be on.

And since people express what they think and feel on Snowheads all the time - an online ‘community’ - it seemed OK to say that that was the situation here, just as I sometimes say ‘these are good skis’ ‘that’s a good way to prep your bases’.

If we are getting the balance of evidence wrong, by all means say so....I can book the ferry for tomorrow....

But was it me on Singletrack? No.
snow conditions
valais2 wrote:
This is all getting a bit weird.
It's certainly an odd thread. People post their opinions and thoughts on all sorts of things across the entire forum, and it seems odd to me that your personal choice (which is to avoid contributing to risk to yourself and the wider community) received such hostility.

I wonder if you posted a story about opting out of skiing a slope because you weren't sure it was low enough avalanche risk would have received the same opprobrium?
latest report
valais2 wrote:

But was it me on Singletrack? No.

I'd never heard of the Singletrack forum so had a look, it is someone taking the piss out of Valais' post.

The responses are hilarious, talk about getting torn a new one. The snowheads owners club should avoid.
snow report
@davidof,
Quote:

I'd never heard of the Singletrack forum so had a look, it is someone taking the wee wee out of Valais' post.

Me neither, so I took a look. The forum member who appears to have cut & pasted the opening post from this thread onto Singletrack is ‘thegeneralist’.

What a coincidence.
ski holidays
PeakyB wrote:
@davidof,
Quote:

I'd never heard of the Singletrack forum so had a look, it is someone taking the wee wee out of Valais' post.

Me neither, so I took a look. The forum member who appears to have cut & pasted the opening post from this thread onto Singletrack is ‘thegeneralist’.

I'm sure Valais' post is copyrighted, where's David Goldsmith with the T&C to confirm?
snow report
@TheGeneralist, did you copy that post from here to Singletrack?
ski holidays
@davidof,
Quote:

The responses are hilarious, talk about getting torn a new one. The snowheads owners club should avoid.

Page 4 of that amusing Singletrack thread includes:

‘ So, are we all heading over to Snowheads and liven up that thread that was either reposted or ‘copied’ as the generalist alleges?
I’m up for a good old fashioned inter forum troll.’

...and...

‘ Wouldn’t it be better to copy the OPs post onto Mumsnet?

NO. BAD EDDIE!!!!! Snigger.’

...and...

‘ We could always do both. Can we set mumsnet on that skiing forum? Basically bait mumsnet into posting in that thread and then sit back and watch the lols fly?
Break out the whisky and cigars boys, we’ve got a flame war to plan.’

Their chief weapons are clearly not surprise and fear. Bolster the firewall, circle the wagons and throw another log on the fire. snowHead
snow conditions
@valais2, you’re getting flamed for the mention of the 8 weeks holiday and ski chalet when some people are staring at a pretty grim Xmas sick/dying/losing jobs etc.

@thegeneralist posted it up on the other site as himself and some of the replies are bl00dy funny!

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/very-sad-about-christmas-but/

For what it’s worth I’d get in your car and go. If you’re driving and staying in your own place I’m not sure you’re taking a much bigger risk than staying at home.

Can you bring out those ski boots we were after? I’ll get my coat...
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
@TheGeneralist, did you copy that post from here to Singletrack?

Shocked Shocked

Cards on table time....

Tick tock. Tick tock.

Puzzled
latest report
BobinCH,

Careful with that signature, Bob.

Stunning 3 bed apartment in the heart of Verbier?

Bragging at its worst, me thinks Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think we need another opinion from skiers rather than from a bunch of MAMILS - can someone please post it on TGR? Toofy Grin
latest report
Bergmeister wrote:
BobinCH,

Careful with that signature, Bob.

Stunning 3 bed apartment in the heart of Verbier?

Bragging at its worst, me thinks Shocked

Fair enough but it’s an airbnb listing link and you don’t usually try and sell something by being humble.
snow report
This is just madness. Whilst I agree that the risk of leaving your house, driving in your bubble to your other house in the Alps, self catering in that house & SD sking raises no more risk than staying in the in UK I do applaud the OP for his approch to this winter & showing some form of togetherness.
I do wonder if the trolls had their own places to go to would they be being so vocal about this or doing the selfish thing and going? As for the 8 week holiday, I never read that they may well have been WFH, just their other home during that time.
snow conditions
@valais2
Looks to me like your glass is very full but you are sad that there's no cherry on your cocktail this year.

orange wrote:
2 WhatsApps in succession today, first one that my SiL is now on a ventilator due to Covid, unlikely to survive.

This is sad as is the post on single track from MUKE saying that a team of health workers (aka heroes) are trying to keep his terminally ill wife alive, with luck their last christmas together won't have already happened.
snow conditions
I've been quoted as if it was a reply from the OP. I feel so privileged. Happy
latest report
I'm trying to work out where I stand in the Elitist scale.

I live in Glasgow.... is that a -1
I live in a nice part of Glasgow +1
I have a flat in a tenement -1
I have two bathrooms +1
I drive a Ford Focus 1.6 -1
I shop in Waitrose +1
I shop in Tesco,Iceland, Aldi Lidl -4
I'm still in work. +1
I work in the medical industry and have to quarantine for 2 weeks every time I'm in field -1

So looks like I'm -4 on the Elitest scale

Oh I forgot, I post on SH +1000

So I am an Elitest lady's front bottom. ????
ski holidays
Well we certainly live in odd times...I took the primary DEEP concern which we should have about job loss, increase in child poverty, learning loss in schools, death and serious chronic illness as a given - and clearly shouldn't have done - I listened to the heart-rending story on the Today programme, of amputation and life-changing impact - and that was what stimulated me to post about my mild and secondary SADNESS about skiing.

Oh well...stepping back, some of the posts are indeed highly amusing...I'll just back to my actually very humdrum life....
latest report
> I'll just back to my actually very humdrum life....

"of 8 weeks skiing in Switzerland a year in my own personal home in the Valais"

Excellent, your trolling is really on form this week. I think you've had us all going over the last couple of days. Thread of the year at the 11th hour maybe?
snow report
davidof...now let me see...if you take an activity seriously, how much time do you spend doing it? Oh I know...if you want to reach a good level...a lot. Are you saying that 'if it's skiing then it's not socially acceptable, but if it's road cycling or playing the tuba it is?' Mick Fowler was given time off by HMRC to pursue his schedule to an elite level, and that was waaay more than 8 weeks. Mick F did mountains one way, we do them another. And skiing and mountain-biking are the only things I do when I am not working.
snow report
valais2 wrote:
davidof...now let me see...if you take an activity seriously, how much time do you spend doing it? Oh I know...if you want to reach a good level...a lot. Are you saying that 'if it's skiing then it's not socially acceptable, but if it's road cycling or playing the tuba it is?' Mick Fowler was given time off by HMRC to pursue his schedule to an elite level, and that was waaay more than 8 weeks. Mick F did mountains one way, we do them another. And skiing and mountain-biking are the only things I do when I am not working.

Stop wasting time defending yourself on here and pack the car!!! You can pay @Davidof a visit on route and have it out over a socially distanced ski tour Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

So I am an Elitest lady's front bottom.

That sounds like a name-change request Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:

Stop wasting time defending yourself on here and pack the car!!!

yeah I'm with you on that, Positive Attitude. I can't see a Christmas holiday in CH is going to make any difference really assuming the borders are open. Better than sitting around a few plates of spagbog on Xmas day watching the Queen talking about her 'orrible anus.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy