Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

VERY SAD about Christmas ... BUT

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

A bit rich trolling for comments on a forum where a number of posters will have about a £10k bike quiver and a deluxe van or big SUV to carry them around in/on.

and still not actually riding them, in case they get dusty/muddy and spoil things like the bling oil-slick effect chain etc.

anyway that sick slammed T6 would ground itself driving over the speed humps getting in to the bike park carpark, so that shiny quiver is destined to be a garage museum piece to be polished every day before going back to sit in front of the PC all day.

Least he had the decency to post on different forums with statistically diverse political stances along the L-R axis, to get a more representative data sample Wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

statistically diverse political stances along the L-R axis,

His sophisticated multi-factor model also seems to incorporate the vertical class-based U-D (Upstairs-Downstairs) axis.
Genius I tell ya.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@DB,
Quote:

We have to be careful as history repeats itself. This is reminiscent of that other great battle when the Polish, Austrians & Germans joined forces to defeat the turks during the battle of Vienna (1683).

You’re right. Didn’t that spiral out of control after insulting graffiti about the relative size and flavour of their different sausages? The Wurstul bloc v the Sujuk alliance?

We must be careful.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

The Wurstul bloc v the Sujuk alliance?

Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmmm....well an interesting turn.

I guess I think it would have been an idea to at least check underpinning assumptions and values - my work means I am more than close to the death and deprivation caused by pandemic. And a bit weird too the crude implied view that all skiers here are elitists awash with cash and privilege and all mountain bikers somewhere else are salt of the earth humanists. That’s just all bonkers. Difficult to maintain that distinction with - as people have said - massive overlap in those populations. I’d better retire my bikes and stop busting my lungs on hills. And remind all my riding partners that for the last decade I’ve been a closet elitist skier masquerading as an enduro rider.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Andy - that’s right - these days a bike quiver can cost 10k times 3. While a really nice hardtail Ragley would come in at 1,500, a Santa Cruz FS is coming in at around 7,000 these days. On that basis a brace would be 14k and a quiver 21k. Makes a pair of Factions look like small change.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@AL9000, @achilles, @adithorp, RIGHT!!!! Thats It!!! No more Krug or LPGS for you lot Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@GlasgowCyclops, Calm down. Don’t get your Kjus merino knickers in a twist.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
valais2 wrote:

I guess I think it would have been an idea to at least check underpinning assumptions and values - my work means I am more than close to the death and deprivation caused by pandemic. And a bit weird too the crude implied view that all skiers here are elitists awash with cash and privilege and all mountain bikers somewhere else are salt of the earth humanists. That’s just all bonkers. Difficult to maintain that distinction with - as people have said - massive overlap in those populations. I’d better retire my bikes and stop busting my lungs on hills. And remind all my riding partners that for the last decade I’ve been a closet elitist skier masquerading as an enduro rider.

valais2, I’ve seen this kind of rubbish on SIngleTrackWorld. Are you sure you don’t post on that forum as well ? wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PeakyB wrote:
@DB,
Quote:

We have to be careful as history repeats itself. This is reminiscent of that other great battle when the Polish, Austrians & Germans joined forces to defeat the turks during the battle of Vienna (1683).

You’re right. Didn’t that spiral out of control after insulting graffiti about the relative size and flavour of their different sausages? The Wurstul bloc v the Sujuk alliance?

We must be careful.

Exactly, but alas the thick shafted Austrian wiener alone was not a match for the Sujuk. The polish descended the Kalenberg adorned in feathers with their Kielbasa's out while the Germans throwing accuracy with their weapon of choice (the Weißwurst) quickly gave their luftwaffe air dominance. Being attacked from behind with such meaty weapons, the turks had no choice but to flee with their doner kebabs in hand.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@DB, Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
valais2 wrote:

Blimey - a very reasonable OP, echoing what many of us are feeling at the moment. So @valais2 is being attacked and critiqued by an army of woke, know-it-all, bandwagon-riders, livid at the thought that someone has had the nerve to invest in a dream, family holiday home in the Alps and at the audacity that this said person has at spending Christmas skiing, breathing fresh air and admiring the stunning views.

Have a great Christmas @valais2 and I really hope that you and your family are back at your happy place as soon as possible.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar wrote:
TheGeneralist wrote:
No. As I've already said, I posted it to try to find out what another bunch of people thought.
You thought that post worthy of analysis by other people, maybe because you couldn't make up your own mind about it? Really?

Wow.

Totally!! Very weird behaviour. Is this normal? folk gauge a thread by posting it as their own post on another forum? I guessing not.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Sorry for the delay. I was really intrigued by valais' initial post for the reasons stated and then intrigued by the general lack of insight from other snowheads about how weird it seemed.

I've often thought that SH and STW were very different in their values and perspectives and had been meaning to discuss it at various points. When this post came up I thought the easiest and cleanest way to find out what people thought was to just repost it verbatim.

As someone above said, many of the STW responses are comedy gold, and have really restored my faith in the perspective of the general population.

That’s ridiculous, what you should have done is waited ‘till summer and posted (assuming everything is locked down)
“I’ve ridden Morzine for 8 weeks every summer, staying in our family’s apartment. I’ve been working hard and looking forward to this for the whole year, it’s the time I get to ride with and catch up with my mates and why I work hard all year. This year going to give it a miss as it seems wrong in COVID times”

You’d probably get a very different set of responses on Singletrack. But the essence is the same. Of course a bunch of mountain bikers will have a different view, just as if you took a post of a £10k custom Santa Cruz build and posted that on a charity forum.

We all have a “thing” that means loads to us, and missing out on it is painful. But it’s going to seem trivial to a large section of the population, which is why you would only say it in a circle of people that cherish that same thing, you know, like skiing, on a ski forum...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@TheGeneralist,

In other words, you copied it from here to take the P155 out of a genuine Snowhead? Shocked
snow report
Bergmeister wrote:
@TheGeneralist,

In other words, you copied it from here to take the P155 out of a genuine Snowhead? Shocked

More likely snowheads in general. Charming. Still, I’m sure he gained some popularity at the other forum.
ski holidays
The last few posts rather sum up my feelings about this. Regardless of what you/I may think of the original post (it didn't bother me) I feel rather uncomfortable with the idea of someone copying another person's thoughts and posting it on another, rather different, forum just to see what the reaction is. While it could be argued that by originally posting it's in the public domain, I take the view that if it's posted within SH, that's its intended audience and that's where it should stay. Privacy is a factor. As stated by @ish303, we all have our 'thing'. Some may take the Michael out of e.g. those who dress up in costume and attend Star Trek conventions (just finished watching 'Galaxy Quest' last night) but if that's what they enjoy then why should anyone else judge them? Maybe I'm just old-fashioned!
latest report
At least @TheGeneralist engaged in the ensuing discussion and attempted to justify why he did what he did.

Unlike @Mr.Egg who, having insulted the OP, appears to have retreated into his shell.
snow report
PeakyB wrote:
At least @TheGeneralist engaged in the ensuing discussion and attempted to justify why he did what he did.

Unlike @Mr.Egg who, having insulted the OP, appears to have retreated into his shell.

if pointing home truths are insulting, then maybe swapping the shell for a thicker skin is in order.
snow report
Mr.Egg wrote:
PeakyB wrote:

if pointing home truths are insulting, then maybe swapping the shell for a thicker skin is in order.

OK @Mr.Egg - here are some home truths:
1. This is a SKI forum for people who are interested in SKIING. By definition, most people here like to SKI and will be miss not being able to. @valais2 simply expressed his disappointment in his own terms.
2. @valais2 seems like a nice guy whose posts are generally quite informative, helpful and polite. He very rarely gets sucked into a bit of unpleasantness but less than most. His credibility here is consequently quite high
3. The vast majority of your posts are unhelpful, offer no insight or information, are unpleasant, have some form of personal attack, or are just plain non-sensical. Your credibility here is consequently very low.
4. You are jealous of @valais2, and think it is unfair that despite your best efforts you will never be able to have anything remotely like the life that he has. The fact that he may be more able than you, work harder, make smarter decisions, or simply prioritise SKIING over other expenditure are perspectives that you are simply unable to even consider.
5. You have displayed an inability to comprehend the facts surrounding this pandemic and a complete lack of empathy with those less fortunate than yourself in many other posts, so your motivation to post here was not out of any genuine sense of balance or perspective.
6. Your post was downright unpleasant and included quite a personal attack which is unacceptable.
7. I, along with many others I am sure, think that if you do not have anything helpful to add, do not like people talking about SKIING, do not like people who go SKIING a lot, and dislike people talking about being sad when they can't go SKIING, then it would make sense for you to avoid SKI fora. Specifically this one. Preferably soon and for ever.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 19-12-20 11:12; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I think it’s time for a who’s got the biggest chalet thread Very Happy Where’s @nixmap when you need him...
snow report
zikomo wrote:

2. @valais2 seems like a nice guy whose posts are generally quite informative, helpful and polite. He very rarely gets sucked into a bit of unpleasantness but less than most. His credibility here is consequently quite high

Can vouch for this. He also passes on his very good quality kids gear for others to benefit from at bargain prices.
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
zikomo wrote:

Can vouch for this. He also passes on his very good quality kids gear for others to benefit from at bargain prices.

I am never quite organised enough to take advantage of the gear @valais2 offers here! Am resolved to do better in the future, it always seems to me it is good quality gear and I get the sense he looks after it and is honest about the condition. Must try harder!

As an aside you also seem to be quite a nice guy!
snow report
Quote:

1. This is a SKI forum for people who are interested in SKIING. By definition, most people here like to SKI and will be miss not being able to. @valais2 simply expressed his disappointment in his own terms.
3. The vast majority of your posts are unhelpful, offer no insight or information, are unpleasant, have some form of personal attack, or are just plain non-sensical. Your credibility here is consequently very low.
4. You are jealous of @valais2, and think it is unfair that despite your best efforts you will never be able to have anything remotely like the life that he has. The fact that he may be more able than you, work harder, make smarter decisions, or simply prioritise SKIING over other expenditure are perspectives that you are simply unable to even consider.
5. You have displayed an inability to comprehend the facts surrounding this pandemic and a complete lack of empathy with those less fortunate than yourself in many other posts, so your motivation to post here was not out of any genuine sense of balance or perspective.
6. Your post was downright unpleasant and included quite a personal attack which is unacceptable.
7. I, along with many others I am sure, think that if you do not have anything helpful to add, do not like people talking about SKIING, do not like people who go SKIING a lot, and dislike people talking about being sad when they can't go SKIING, then it would make sense for you to avoid SKI fora. Specifically this one. Preferably soon and for ever.

Exactly this!
ski holidays
Bob, Ish and Zikomo - thanks indeed for these kind posts. I stand guilty of a severe judgement failure in the first post, just not thinking about impact outside SH...and potentially igniting a debate which puts the community here in a bad light. Not good. I was ‘thinking skiing’ and compartmentalising all the other daily stuff I deal with regarding deprivation and death and the impact of COVID - this is the stuff I have dealing with dawn til dusk since March. And that immersion meant I just took it granted, when I shouldn’t. Brain fade on tone of message I am afraid.

I hope normal service is restored, and boy will I be more careful about how things can be interpreted....
latest report
[quote="zikomo"]
Mr.Egg wrote:
PeakyB wrote:

Quote:

Everyone is missing Skiing & Snowboarding. Some may well have missed out last season, as well as this season.
Quote:

maybe he is, maybe he isn't. Never the guy, so cant judge. I certainly don't form opinions of people without meeting them.
Quote:

Well, there is an ignore option. Feel free to use it. I am sure lots already have.
Quote:

I know nothing about valais, so what exactly am I jealous of? I have no idea what kind of life he has. You know nothing about either of us, yet trying to compare us against each other? very odd behaviour. Infact, you should realise by now that I applaud anyone who has achieved things. It's not something to be jealous of, but inspire to.... My reply was based on what was posted. Not on the individual who posted it.
Quote:

I have the same empathy for people who more fortunate or less fortunate than myself. Being unable to ski is a first world problem.
Quote:

So you can spout off a load of garbage with personal attacks against me? but its unacceptable for me to do so? We dont live in a woke world where the freedom to offend is illegal. Nevermind how much you don't like it.
Quote:

I think I will stick around for a bit longer yet thankyou. Unless Mr & Ms Admin decide to ban me. There is perfectly good ignore function that people can use if they don't like what I post.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 19-12-20 13:54; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Oh..Bob...gear...I still wish that PP blue and brown jacket and trousers would fit someone here...they are very cool...who will they go to next?

And the flow of gear is slowing a little since my two now are stabilising in size. Regrettably this also means my son nicks all of my gear, since it fits him now. Grrrr. But when I get out to CH finally, we will do a root-through and probably have quite a bit of nice gear to pass on...
snow conditions
Mr Egg ...skiing is this year indeed the last thing on my mind. That’s why, for the first time in very many years, like a lot of others, we’re not going.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@valais2,
Yup understand that. My post wasn't aimed at you per say. It would have been the same for anyone. We have all had to make a variety of sacrifices. Some fortunately less than others.
latest report
Mr.Egg wrote:
Could be worse.

You could be... or have a loved alone in a hospital with a pipe down their throat.
Yet, you are SAD because you wont be having a white Christmas in the mountains.

Take care not to choke on your flute of champagne while reading the guardian website on Christmas day.
The NHS staff may be a bit to busy to attend.

You seem to be in some form of denial. Above is what you actually said. The comment about champagne and guardian is a clear judgement on the person, no doubt about that at all.

If you had any self-awareness or self-respect you would admit your post was personal, inappropriate, uncalled for and ill-judged. And apologise unreservedly.

I see no point going through your detailed rebuttal to me, on every point you have completely failed to grasp the issue.

Of course you have a right be to here, I simply suggested it might be better for you if you left as you don't seem to have much positive to say and are incensed when people talk about skiing. It would certainly be better for the rest of us but that is by the by.
snow report
@valais2, You are welcome, and you have nothing at all to apologise for. This is a ski forum, it makes complete sense to come here to talk about these sorts of things and your compartmentalisation is completely understandable. Please do not retreat into your shell and deprive us all of your contributions because you are worried about offending a very small minority.
snow conditions
zikomo wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
Could be worse.

You could be... or have a loved alone in a hospital with a pipe down their throat.
Yet, you are SAD because you wont be having a white Christmas in the mountains.

Take care not to choke on your flute of champagne while reading the guardian website on Christmas day.
The NHS staff may be a bit to busy to attend.

You seem to be in some form of denial. Above is what you actually said. The comment about champagne and guardian is a clear judgement on the person, no doubt about that at all.

If you had any self-awareness or self-respect you would admit your post was personal, inappropriate, uncalled for and ill-judged. And apologise unreservedly.

I see no point going through your detailed rebuttal to me, on every point you have completely failed to grasp the issue.

Of course you have a right be to here, I simply suggested it might be better for you if you left as you don't seem to have much positive to say and are incensed when people talk about skiing. It would certainly be better for the rest of us but that is by the by.

That is your interpretation of it. Maybe let the adult speak and go back to interacting with kids if you are unable to grasp the adult world.
latest report
Quote:

The comment about champagne and guardian is a clear judgement on the person,

Well it just gets worse, now a feature in todays Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/dec/19/remote-alpine-home-interiors-saint-tropez-of-snow Laughing Laughing

ps I'm joking @valais2, just in case there was doubt Toofy Grin
snow report
Another vote for valais2. I very much hope, one day, to renew my acquaintance with Crans, where I spent so many happy childhood summers and perhaps, in the process, to meet up with him.
latest report
grief Halfhand you had my pulse racing for a moment....

Thanks Zikomo - a hermit's cave was beginning to look pretty attractive...thank you for the kind encouragement

And Hurtle....I have not forgotten...there will come a time....
ski holidays
@halfhand, I read this this morning in hardcopy and got very annoyed at the poor reporting. Accoording to the Guardian Avoriaz is only accessed by a cable car ..... there's a road and it's a gondola!

I know this was a soft wooly piece for the weeken supplement but it really gets my goat when I see things ill reported like this ... you have to ask what else do they misrepresent if you aren't half in the know.

Sorry for the thread drift.
snow conditions
stevew wrote:
@halfhand, I read this this morning in hardcopy and got very annoyed at the poor reporting. Accoording to the Guardian Avoriaz is only accessed by a cable car ..... there's a road and it's a gondola!

Sounds like they cribbed a lot of that from Pistehors, from the horses mouth so to speak (article based on detailed research by moi meme).

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Haute-Savoie/Avoriaz-History
ski holidays
@stevew, it really happens quite often that you can read something that you personally know to be incorrect and/or untrue; so as you have said what else is incorrect.
ski holidays
Humpty Dumpty is the first Snowhead I have ignored. Very boring reading his rubbish.
snow report
Well for us it's not just skiing that is cancelled this Christmas...

Christmas has been cancelled this Christmas!

I live in a part of Surrey that has CV figures so low that the government reporting system says it does not give a rate as being that low if it were to publish it could lead to individual patient traceability and therefore lack of patient confidentiality.

So in that context....Tier 4
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy