Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Garmin Fenix 6 - different tracking compared to iphone

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've just started using my Garmin Fenix 6X Sapphire. Great piece of kit.

However the first time I ran with it, I was surprised at the distance it showed, 108.km whereas I was expecting over 12 based on previous runs with the iphone, using Strava. So I did a lunchtime run to check, this time also carrying my iphone in my pocket.

Results:
Garmin: total distance 5.55km, pace 6:19 min/km (I'm very slow)
iphone: total distance 5.95km, pace 5:46 min /km (still slow but a bit better).

Looked up a support page from Garmin, they suggest to switch on "every second tracking" and GLONASS for improved accuracy.

Has anyone seen something similar? Would the suggested changes help?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@horizon, step one, make sure you have the latest firmware, step two, make sure the Garmin has a GPS lock before setting off.

Then yes I think I had my Garmin set to 1 sec recording and GPS + Glonass.

Do you have links to the activities? Apple Watch has a habit of smoothing corners

Check the dcrainmaker review to see a comparison https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/08/garmin-fenix6-pro-solar-series-review.html
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do you not know the length of your run? Fairly easy to measure, I would think.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Interesting! I'm not that surprised that the Garmin gave a different answer to the iPhone, but that's quite a difference - what does surprise me is that my Garmin Edge 25 gives slightly different cycling distances than my Garmin Vivoactive 3 watch does and my iPhone is different again, but only marginally - I assumed that the Garmin devices would each use the same technology for distance tracking, although this might be a "GLONASS or not GLONASS" issue I suppose?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@philwig, one lives and learns. I hadn't realised it was that easy to measure distance in Google Maps.

Results: home to park 1.29km, one complete tour of the park 2.33 km and I did two and then stopped both GPSs and walked home, so 5.95km, iphone wins.

I did think that the Garmin was showing me too slow a pace most of the time (and then seemed too fast every now and then).

@kitenski, I'm almost sure I have the latest firmware as the watch updates automatically and it just updated itself a couple of days ago. I'll switch on the two options and re-run the test...once I get rid of the blister I got when running 10.8, no, over 12 kms on Sunday!

Happy to share the activities, but you'll see that post-lockdown and post-helping my wife with the new baby I'm rather slow:-) (The Garmin rates my condition as "fair"...ouch)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@horizon, it's not the speed its the GPS track that I'd like to look at and zoom into....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@horizon, give it a few weeks, and go into "reports" on garmin connect, and if it's anything like mine, it'll be telling you that you've got the body of a 21 yr old.

I went and checked in the cellar, but couldn't find a body of a 21 yr old there, so I'm not sure where it is.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Here we go:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/5954789289

https://strava.app.link/o11Aos0cfcb
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks to me as as though your iPhone track is wobbling about a bit, which suggests the Garmin is the one to believe. I'm assuming here that you stuck to the roads and didn't run through any buildings Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You’ve got quite a bit of GPS drifting on both devices and there’s not much you can do about it. Strava and Garmin will do some smoothing to the GPS data when this happens and can over/under report distances.

There are a few settings you can change on your watch which can improve GPS accuracy;

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=4aJkunyPWb0Iezs3creNs9
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
clived wrote:
Looks to me as as though your iPhone track is wobbling about a bit, which suggests the Garmin is the one to believe. I'm assuming here that you stuck to the roads and didn't run through any buildings Smile

I was thinking who says that Apple is 100% accurate, They screw users over on everything else why not this as well.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
horizon wrote:
I've just started using my Garmin Fenix 6X Sapphire. Great piece of kit.

However the first time I ran with it, I was surprised at the distance it showed, 108.km whereas I was expecting over 12 based on previous runs with the iphone, using Strava. So I did a lunchtime run to check, this time also carrying my iphone in my pocket.

Results:
Garmin: total distance 5.55km, pace 6:19 min/km (I'm very slow)
iphone: total distance 5.95km, pace 5:46 min /km (still slow but a bit better).

Looked up a support page from Garmin, they suggest to switch on "every second tracking" and GLONASS for improved accuracy.

Has anyone seen something similar? Would the suggested changes help?

Sometimes if you change your run to `race` on strava it gives you a more accurate reading.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Worth swapping your watch to the other wrist as well. Strangely, this seems to improve accuracy according to the Garmin forums.

I've not had any accuracy issues with mine, tho' it's not quite as good as the stryd footpod.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@horizon, cheers, did you make sure you got a GPS lock before setting off?

The iPhone one on Strava defo has big GPS glitches eg this example at the start, unless you went to the back of that house and stood around?

but then the Fenix also doesn't seem to lock on at the start either, assuming you didn't run over the roundabout?

Info here on how to get GPS lock status on the Fenix 6. In my experience this makes a big difference, ensuring your device has a GPS lock before starting to move

https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recreation/outdoor-recreation/f/fenix-6-series/225386/gps-lock-status
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
and if you look at the park laps the iPhone looks pretty poor compared to the Fenix

iPhone

Fenix

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy