Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any brave families planning go to Switzerland this Christmas?

Poster: A snowHead
HilbertSpace wrote:
HilbertSpace wrote:
Our family self drive Xmas trip to France was cancelled. I wanted to replace it with something in CH but my wife got cold feet.

So instead, as a compromise, I'm off to Verbier for three nights before Xmas with just my eldest, by plane and hire car. Can't wait!

Quick update... Our flight Sunday would not be permitted as it would be subject to tier 4 rules, so booked Le Shuttle and jumped in the car. Relaxing now in hotel in France and will continue drive to Verbier tomorrow. Fingers crossed no issues at Swiss border.

Crazy long queue of lorries at Folkestone but passenger car lane clear. Got through tunnel very fast Saturday evening.

So, will you be spending Christmas in quarantine in Switzerland, the UK or stuck somewhere in between?

Intrigued to know how your trip turned out.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chum who went with family last Sunday and was told to isolate on Monday in his apartment was surprised today when called forward for a C19 test. Took free test on Bern Govt, just paid for taxi. If negative tonight, Q lifted.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm in quarantine in Zermatt and the Valais authorities told me to ring the local doctor and tourism office to do this, when I rang they had no idea what I was talking about.

All quite frustrating as told a different thing by every person.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jebroni3_16 wrote:

So, will you be spending Christmas in quarantine in Switzerland, the UK or stuck somewhere in between?

Back in the UK now. The drive into Switzerland was straightforward, and the border guard was friendly and helped us buy the vignette. There were a few other Brit cars doing the same.

We stayed in Verbier only one night. At the end of the first day's skiing the hotel told us about the new quarantine rules that were coming in, and they mentioned some other guests had already left, so we just packed the car and drove straight across the border back to France. We stopped for the night and carried on to Calais the next day. The roads were pretty quiet and the drive was easy apart from the rain. There were not many UK cars at Eurotunnel so getting through there was very quick. We had to show our passenger locator form at UK border, which we had filled out a couple of hours before.

All in all it was a lot of driving for one day's skiing, but it was very (very) good to go skiing again.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@HilbertSpace, that is one hell of a road trip but if that is the only skiing this season (which it might well be) then quite possibly worth it. Chapeau!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
HilbertSpace wrote:
jebroni3_16 wrote:

Back in the UK now. The drive into Switzerland was straightforward, and the border guard was friendly and helped us buy the vignette. There were a few other Brit cars doing the same.

We stayed in Verbier only one night. At the end of the first day's skiing the hotel told us about the new quarantine rules that were coming in, and they mentioned some other guests had already left, so we just packed the car and drove straight across the border back to France. We stopped for the night and carried on to Calais the next day. The roads were pretty quiet and the drive was easy apart from the rain. There were not many UK cars at Eurotunnel so getting through there was very quick. We had to show our passenger locator form at UK border, which we had filled out a couple of hours before.

All in all it was a lot of driving for one day's skiing, but it was very (very) good to go skiing again.

Good enough to be worth the ten days self-isolation you and your son are now required to complete?

Or are you planning on taking private COVID tests to see if you can end self-isolation early (and thereby establish whether either of you inadvertently took the virus across with you asymptomatically)?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 28-12-20 18:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What a trip!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@HilbertSpace, glad you got back ok and thanks for sharing details. Glad you got a day in!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I really think anyone attempting to go skiing right now and travelling across Europe is just irresponsible. Don't get me wrong, I'm pining for the mountains just as much of the rest of you. Ischgl Part 2 anyone? There will be other winters and other ski seasons. My last trip in March was great, but marred by an increasing sense of anxiety over the rapid spread happening before our eyes.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah perhaps but I essentially didn't go out for the week before my trip, flight and train to resort were empty and the resort was quiet so hardly shared a lift before getting hit with retrospective quarantine.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Woohoo. 2 PCR negatives on swabs handed in at 0930 this morning.

>is just irresponsible.
You haven't a clue how we have lived this year, stayed as a 2 person bubble , and have kept normal life but safe. Between us we have now had 4 C19 tests, 2 research and 2 paid, antigen and antibody. All negative. It is the clustering, shouting idiots that just don't get it.

>Ischgl Part 2 anyone?
Yes, if you are a table top apres ski dancing idiot in a hot, sweaty, hugging environment. But that was bad for flu as well.

Why should I be inconvenienced by the numpties??
I am getting royally pissed off with them. And I am now extremely rude at them - as in nasty but alive instead of nice and dead.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think the new variant of Covid will make the above debate redundant.

Holidays from UK to anywhere will be pretty much impossible until enough of the population has been vaccinated to feed into rates become seriously low. Several months minimum.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Android2000, I suspect the new variants are already all round the world - it is just we are more analytical than many.

On the bright side the darkest moment is often before the light and I think we may be at that point.

Still, I do not see myself skiing this season - would prefer a couple of weeks in the spring walking and eating and drinking in the wilds of andalucia (well may be with a day at Sierra Nevada).....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
countryman ... I can SEE myself skiing but regrettably only in my mind's eye. I bought Magic Pass X4 and CMA Pass x4 and although downhilling in the summer paid for some of them, mostly we have just sat on them. Testing to end quarantine in CH is good move by Bern Government. And I am sure you are likely to be right about the new variant already being widely established - if the infection rate goes way up but the admissions rate and death rate remain proportionately lower, we may indeed be seeing light at the end of the tunnel. February skiing? Easter mud hopping?

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 25-12-20 0:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Hells Bells, Agreed, complete madness. Selfish covidiots.
ski holidays
Staggered. It's like a game, dodging restrictions to get some skiing in.
snow conditions
It is quite interesting to read how the Swiss Covid app calculates:

You will receive a notification under the following two conditions
Within a 24-hour period, you had contact with an infected person:
at a distance of under 1.5 metres
for at least 15 minutes
Or:

Within a 24-hour period, you had contact with several infected individuals:
at a distance of under 1.5 metres
for less than 15 minutes per person
but for a total of more than 15 minutes overall

By inference, the rules then are pretty simple.
And the Covidiots are the many who can't manage such a simple thing. One local pub banned all under 25s after 8pm. They became too drunk to distance.
I treat everyone as infected and as if
I was too. Take some delight in telling the Covidiots to Foxtrot Oscar when they intrude my space. Better to be nasty and alive than nice and dead.

Hand sanitising has largely stopped. When I do venture into a supermarket, lots of people of all ages aren't bothering going in or out. Arguably more important leaving shop after items have been touched and replaced. Boots the Chemist didn't even have sanitiser at the entrance!! All Covidiots.
Mrs S was a research biochemist working with lots of pathogens, inc the AIDS CV. She would be the first person to say it is not safe and refuse point blank to go.
snow report
BenW_86 wrote:
Yeah perhaps but I essentially didn't go out for the week before my trip, flight and train to resort were empty and the resort was quiet so hardly shared a lift before getting hit with retrospective quarantine.

Good Luck finding somewhere to get yourself PCR tested and Merry Christmas.

Hopefully you can then get on with safely enjoying the snow.

If things had been slightly different, my girlfriend and I might have been in same situation as you with retrospective quarantine. Although I'm surprised it's something that only seems to have been introduced / applied now.
snow conditions
"Boots the Chemist didn't even have sanitiser at the entrance"

In my local Shopping Centre, Boots wasn't monitoring how many people were entering ; just about all the others had queues outside, as they waited for people to come out before they could enter....
snow report
Wherever you are, whatever you are doing,
HAVE A LOVELY CHRISTMAS DAY ALL
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
I really think anyone attempting to go skiing right now and travelling across Europe is just irresponsible.

That's a bit harsh. Foolish perhaps, especially in hindsight. But as long as they didn't break any laws and policies, they're within their rights to take the risk.

The Swiss asked for it by remaining open, borders and ski resorts. The UK policy is quarantine before and after. So anyone who compile with the requirements are just taking on the risk on their own pocket book and their stress level. Nothing irresponsible about that.

I wouldn't have taken all that risk and stress myself, having done so "involuntarily" earlier this spring. While the skiing was enjoyable, it was far too stressful as a holiday. Have no stomach to repeat. But others who didn't experienced the same first hand last season, are free to give it a go this season! I would even casually say "be my guess but I told you so". Live and learn.
snow conditions
I think irresponsible almost covers it, but would add in selfish.

Effing unbelievable that folks would even contemplate this.
latest report
colinstone wrote:
Woohoo. 2 PCR negatives on swabs handed in at 0930 this morning.

>is just irresponsible.
You haven't a clue how we have lived this year, stayed as a 2 person bubble , and have kept normal life but safe. Between us we have now had 4 C19 tests, 2 research and 2 paid, antigen and antibody. All negative. It is the clustering, shouting idiots that just don't get it.

>Ischgl Part 2 anyone?
Yes, if you are a table top apres ski dancing idiot in a hot, sweaty, hugging environment. But that was bad for flu as well.

Why should I be inconvenienced by the numpties??
I am getting royally pissed off with them. And I am now extremely rude at them - as in nasty but alive instead of nice and dead.

I estimate I've had 20+ Covid tests this year as a result of work based travel. All negative.

Last week I was offered an antibody test - imagine my surprise when it came back positive and that I've had Covid at some point this year.

I've not been ill at all this year, not even a seasonal cold/sore throat etc...
latest report
Nice illustration of why this thing is proving difficult to control. Negative test before travel means nothing if you then pick it up on the plane.
latest report
>pick it up on the plane.

Hence I don't go on one!!
snow report
@paulo, though if everyone on the plane has had a negative test then you'll be less likely to catch it on the plane.
ski holidays
paulo wrote:
Nice illustration of why this thing is proving difficult to control. Negative test before travel means nothing if you then pick it up on the plane.

If EVERYBODY on the plane had tested negative before getting on, you can't "pick it up" from...nobody.

Unfortunately, the testing left a lot to be desired due to slow turn around time.
ski holidays
abc wrote:
paulo wrote:

If EVERYBODY on the plane had tested negative before getting on, you can't "pick it up" from...nobody.

Unfortunately, the testing left a lot to be desired due to slow turn around time.

Unless they all had the Innova lateral flow test, which sensitivity can be as low as 58% when used by the public, meaning that as many as half of cases will be missed. (source BMJ)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agree. LFT done by experts is OK. But Liverpool self testing didn't have good results.
The key is time in contact. Swiss app works on more than 15mins at less than 1.5m in 24hours with positive contacts and then isolate. Easy to achieve on plane.
Difficult in own car.
If you treat anyone you meet as infected, and consider yourself infectious, then safe distance and time in contact becomes a bleeding glimpse of the obvious. Except for the Covidiots.
snow report
https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/novel-covid-strain-also-identified-in-switzerland/46246282

Quelle surprise!
latest report
Dravot wrote:

I estimate I've had 20+ Covid tests this year as a result of work based travel. All negative.

Last week I was offered an antibody test - imagine my surprise when it came back positive and that I've had Covid at some point this year.

This implies you had it asymptomatically early (say February before there was much if any testing) and have been immune since. You will not be alone in this.
snow conditions
Had another thought. C19 and avalanche avoidance are quite similar.

Henry HAT mnemonic numbers are - 15, 30, 50
Swiss C19 mnemonic numbers are - 15, 1.5, 24!!

In both 15 is minutes!!
snow report
paulo wrote:

Research I read shows planes themselves are relatively safe, it’s if you have to use transport to get to and from them (e.g.bus from terminal to plane steps) that increases your risk.
snow report
I recall it is a serendipitous design quirk of aircraft ventilation. Air in at the head and exhausted at feet.
But it will possibly also require overhead vent nozzles to be permanently open??
snow report
munich_irish wrote:
Dravot wrote:

This implies you had it asymptomatically early (say February before there was much if any testing) and have been immune since. You will not be alone in this.

My wife also did the antibody test and was negative....we've been married a while but are not quite socially distanced. Make you wonder how you can share a house with someone and not pass on the virus, but possibly can in a queue, ski-lift or pub?
ski holidays
Dravot wrote:
munich_irish wrote:
Dravot wrote:

My wife also did the antibody test and was negative....we've been married a while but are not quite socially distanced. Make you wonder how you can share a house with someone and not pass on the virus, but possibly can in a queue, ski-lift or pub?

But it could be you caught it during one of your work trips. Recovered before you got home. So your wife was never exposed to the virus through you.
snow conditions
abc wrote:
Dravot wrote:
munich_irish wrote:
Dravot wrote:

But it could be you caught it during one of your work trips. Recovered before you got home. So your wife was never exposed to the virus through you.

I didn't travel between Feb & May. Each work trip was preceded and followed by a PCR test, and with the exception of one in August were only a couple of days in duration. The August trip I had a total of x4 PCRs tests either side of, including on arrival and departure of my destination. I agree, that I probably caught it before summer.
ski holidays
Dravot wrote:
abc wrote:
Dravot wrote:
munich_irish wrote:
Dravot wrote:

I didn't travel between Feb & May. Each work trip was preceded and followed by a PCR test, and with the exception of one in August were only a couple of days in duration. The August trip I had a total of x4 PCRs tests either side of, including on arrival and departure of my destination. I agree, that I probably caught it before summer.

We now know the virus has been circulating in Europe long before that. You might have been one of the rare cases much earlier?

Though it boggles the mind how it could have been circulating for several month without making much of an impact until March. Then suddenly exploded with large death tolls all at once.
snow conditions
@Dravot,

Quote:

Several sources suggest that most people aren't particularly infectious and may give it one other person or no-one while a small number of people are super spreaders and give it to many people. Therefore, you may simply not have been that infectious but some people would so infectious that they could infect at random in a pub

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-superspreading-events-drive-most-covid-19-spread1/
ski holidays
Or one of the antigen test results were a false negative?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy